Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson or Mahomes? Who is more exciting?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm not even sure I'd take Mahomes at this point. Lets see how he does when he's lost many of his weapons, has injuries to overcome and has to win despite his defense. Not saying he won't do it but now we'll get to really see what Mahomes is made of. We've already seen what Watson is made of.
The Texans had a much better defense than the Chiefs do now when Watson was getting the he!! beat out of him on a regular basis.

I still say Watson reminds me of a young Steve Young. Just like Young, Watson needs to improve/speed up his decision making like he has the last 2 weeks and do it consistently.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Jimmy G and Wilson were found outside of the 1st rd and should count.

I understand how you set up the framework for this discussion and I agree.
Prescott and Bridgewater also. And they weren't patient, they panicked for osweiler.

But Watson is better than all of them

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not including 2019, too early. But out of ALL of those QBs, which guy would you rather have over Watson? IMO, only one guy is worthy of a debate, and that's Mahomes.
Still think Clowney at 1.1 & Bridgewater at 2.1 makes too much sense. & I didn't like Bridgewater, mainly because of his size.

Not that I'd rather Bridgewater over Mahomes/Watson.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm not even sure I'd take Mahomes at this point. Lets see how he does when he's lost many of his weapons, has injuries to overcome and has to win despite his defense. Not saying he won't do it but now we'll get to really see what Mahomes is made of. We've already seen what Watson is made of.
I think it's the GMs job to keep stacking the roster with talent & so far they look like they're doing a fine job. Pringle & Williams, look good.

Depth on the OL is an issue, but how many teams have one legit tackle, much less two.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Prescott and Bridgewater also. And they weren't patient, they panicked for osweiler.

But Watson is better than all of them
I hope Watson becomes as good as Wilson

I'm still a big Jimmy G fan, but he wont be as good as he can be this yr coming back from the ACL.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's just incompetent and inexperienced officials.

I doubt they have any hidden agenda for specific teams. If that were to be exposed, the credibility of the league would disappear with the fan base.

They've got to fix it quick, though. The optics of blown and phantom calls can certainly lead to this type of speculation.

frethack

Rookie
Leg being popped back in place is exciting.
I had the same injury when I was a kid (patellar dislocation). It is VERY painful from what I remember, and my knee took more than a year to fully restabilize. I could walk without a brace after 6 weeks or so, but it was constantly re-aggravated. The doc was testing my leg after the injury and he was able to dislocate my lower leg from the upper. Not sure if its because the ligaments and tendons were stretched (obviously Im not a doctor) but it was not fun.

Ive had off and on knee problems ever since, and Im in my 40s now.

DanielTx

Veteran
Mahomes scored 3 tds with 2 turnovers vs this d and a Lost. Brissett just dropped 4 tds with a W. The real question is Mahomes better than Brissett.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Mahomes scored 3 tds with 2 turnovers vs this d and a Lost. Brissett just dropped 4 tds with a W. The real question is Mahomes better than Brissett.
What would either kid do with indi staff lol

That Indi coach setting his qb up to win. 4tds lol. Did anyone see that coming.

Brissett no where near the talent of DW4 and mahomes

2-0 against

Brisket like 5-0 v Texans

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Do you have any examples?
The offense did well today, missed some open guys (It happens) and turned the ball over. The 2 weeks prior were pretty exciting. Today you were facing a much better defense so it's unrealistic to expect a 50 pt output.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Patrick Mahomes' ankle limiting mobility
Patrick Mahomes sprained his ankle in the first game of the season and has aggravated that injury each of the past two weeks, limiting his ability to escape pressure and extend plays. This has proven to be kryptonite to a QB who may be the closest thing we have to Superman in real life. In those three games, he has noticeably changed his playing style before and after the injury. Before the injury, Mahomes threw just 71.7 percent of his passes inside the tackle box and was able to escape pressure on 37.5 percent of his hurried dropbacks, leading to an average time to throw of 2.96 seconds. After the injury occurred (or was aggravated) in those three games, his time to throw dropped to 2.60 seconds, he was only able to evade 9.1 percent of hurried dropbacks and he threw 88.9 percent of his passes from inside the tackle box. Without his mobility, Mahomes' yards per attempt dropped from 12.7 to 5.6. Hopefully, Mahomes' ankle has time to heal after Thursday's matchup with the Broncos.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000001066422/next-gen-stats-compelling-figures-that-could-shape-week-7

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I've heard reports that Mahomes audibled to a QB sneak. Sometime you just can't protect these guys from themselves. I could see Watson making the same decision. These guys are ballers to their core.
If that is true then the Chiefs organization or their beat writers out there should be trashing the National Media on ESPN/Fox Sports that went on and on about what a bad coach Andy Reid was over night. I haven't heard that myself, but these hind sight reporters have become some of the worst in the business.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Andy takes a guy off the street whose coaching highschool football and beats the #7 defense in Minnesota. The same coach who made Alex Smith look like a Mvp candidate. What a great coach
A great offensive mind/QB coach, true

A HC? You should go check out Chiefs Planet.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Boomer Esiason in a commentary on CBS Sports Minute yesterday presented an interesting observation. He stated that the factor most responsible for Mahome's success this year is "He has learned to take the medium and short yardage passes rather than looking for the home run."
That's a really good point (I always appreciate Boomer's perspective when he's on local sports talk radio).

Of course, he's got a HC & OC that schemes to make sure he consistently get lots of options in the medium and short yardage passing plays.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That's a really good point (I always appreciate Boomer's perspective when he's on local sports talk radio).

Of course, he's got a HC & OC that schemes to make sure he consistently get lots of options in the medium and short yardage passing plays.
Watson has had more than his fair share of open medium and short yardage players in every game. But whether he didn't look for them, didn't see them or, as appears in many cases, was only all too often looking for the home run did not bolster the effectiveness of any scheme.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Watson has had more than his fair share of open medium and short yardage players in every game. But whether he didn't look for them, didn't see them or, as appears in many cases, was only all too often looking for the home run did not bolster the effectiveness of any scheme.
True, but a some folks analyzing the all-22 film are advising that often nobody is open when Watson hits his third step in the drop. That is scheme and WRs not getting separation.

Lots of blame to go around, tho'.

That said, nobody does it like Mahomes. That dude is a once-in-a-generation talent.

And lets not delude ourselves that O'Brien has nearly the offensive mind that Andy Reid has got. Reid is already HoF. O'Brien is a 6th year coach that can't get past the 2nd round of the playoffs and already has a historic playoff choke on his record.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
True, but a some folks analyzing the all-22 film are advising that often nobody is open when Watson hits his third step in the drop. That is scheme and WRs not getting separation.

Lots of blame to go around, tho'.

That said, nobody does it like Mahomes. That dude is a once-in-a-generation talent.

And lets not delude ourselves that O'Brien has nearly the offensive mind that Andy Reid has got. Reid is already HoF. O'Brien is a 6th year coach that can't get past the 2nd round of the playoffs and already has a historic playoff choke on his record.
I would respect YOUR takes on the all-22. But I've watched too many all-22 film this season to agree with "some folks." And my observations spill over to Watson in the shotgun, where there were too many opportunities missed to ignore.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'm just curious as to how many of the short route opportunities were 1st down potential on short and 2nd or 3rd down? How many times was Watson looking at 2nd or 3rd and long and short yardage opportunities presented themselves? It could be that Watson is looking downfield as a way to get a 1st down versus throwing a short yardage gain type of pass.

Before I write off Watson as not being able to see the field.......I've got to see what he could do with a better HC and OC planning and calling the game. I just don't see OB as the type of OC who can adjust his plan mid-game or game plan for Watson's skill set. Maybe he doesn't want to, maybe he wants to prove you can cram a square peg into a round hole. For 6 seasons OB hasn't had any personal success with his Texans QB's....none, nada, zilch.

Reid is getting everything out of Mahomes b/c he figured out how to sand and remove enough material from his round hole (LOL) to square it up so the square peg fit quite nicely.....hence the early and continued success with Mahomes under center. The Chiefs, Reid and Mahomes get better and the Texans, OB and Watson have stagnated.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Watson has had more than his fair share of open medium and short yardage players in every game.
The difference is the only guy we have comparable to KC after the catch is Duke Johnson & he's not in the same league as Kelce, Hill, & Williams. They'll make the first guy miss & it's off to the races.

I believe that's what Boomer was talking about. They have players who can generate big plays on their own. We don't.