Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson or Mahomes? Who is more exciting?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
This is a tough call.

Mahomes is very mobile with great foot work and a rocket arm that is even doing basketball like moves as a QB flawlessly in some cases. Already threw for 50 TD's in his first season. Arm is up there with Marino, Favre, and Rogers.

Watson is extremely slippery which is a rare description for certain guys abilities to run with the football in their hands. He mobility is as good as any QB in the entire NFL. He has very good passing abilities all over the field. Not nearly as good as Mahomes, but he has to do it under harder circumstances without much of a teacher and without much protection. Watson has a lot better mobility than Mahomes does as well.

This isn't about who you think is better or will be better.

Who is more exciting to watch?

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
This is a tough call.

Mahomes is very mobile with great foot work and a rocket arm that is even doing basketball like moves as a QB flawlessly in some cases. Already threw for 50 TD's in his first season. Arm is up there with Marino, Favre, and Rogers.

Watson is extremely slippery which is a rare description for certain guys abilities to run with the football in their hands. He mobility is as good as any QB in the entire NFL. He has very good passing abilities all over the field. Not nearly as good as Mahomes, but he has to do it under harder circumstances without much of a teacher and without much protection. Watson has a lot better mobility than Mahomes does as well.

This isn't about who you think is better or will be better.

Who is more exciting to watch?
Right now Mahomes. I get that Watson keeps his team in any game and thus more exciting because in a duel or trying to come from behind. But mahomes usually has a lead so his 4 qtr stats might pale compared to waston.

Both these kids are great for the league

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I liked Mahomes coming out …. my mind hasn't changed.

I will say the gap between the two is smaller than I thought it was coming out of the draft.

Mahomes makes some throws no other QB can make …. then he throws something like the one he threw falling down Sunday that turned into intentional grounding and could have been much worse - He's got to learn to rein in the gunslinger in him sometimes.

Watson is a bit more controlled …. and has learned to live to play another down.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

Watson is definitely gimped by this coaching staff …. Mahomes has a decided advantage there.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I really like Watson as a Texans fan, but I'd have to say Mahomes as an NFL fan.

I do wonder how Watson would be doing in KC if they had picked him instead.

You know for some reason I seem to hear that Watson is like Michael Jordan on a football field more than any other player. It is a pretty stupid analogy based on the difference in the sports, but I can't help but feel like he is the closest to what a shorter Jordan would like at QB with the way that Watson moves laterally and elusively.

I don't get the Jordan feel when I watch other athletic QB's like Lamar Jackson, Vick, Wilson, and others with similar skill sets as dual threat guys. Watson has that special aura about him out there. It's hard to describe.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I don't get the Jordan feel when I watch other athletic QB's like Lamar Jackson, Vick, Wilson, and others with similar skill sets as dual threat guys. Watson has that special aura about him out there. It's hard to describe.

Watson is actually an athletic QB playing the position - and is a great passer.

Those other guys are athletes playing the position and none of them were / are particularly good passers aside from Wilson.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Watson is actually an athletic QB playing the position - and is a great passer.

Those other guys are athletes playing the position and none of them were / are particularly good passers aside from Wilson.
I agree. I meant to add Cam Newton to that list as well. Cam has had a few really good passing years. When he is on he is more like a Lebron on a football field to me. Watson reminds me of young Jordan for some reason.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I agree. I meant to add Cam Newton to that list as well. Cam has had a few really good passing years. When he is on he is more like a Lebron on a football field to me. Watson reminds me of young Jordan for some reason.

Cam Newton is not even in the same solar system galaxy as Lebron …. and I cant stand Lebron.

Newton might be one of the most physically gifted players to ever play the position but he's dead between the ears.

corry

Waterboy
Watson is just as talented as Mahomes in almost every aspect. Sure, Watson’s arm isn’t as strong but it’s not too far off when he wants to get in to one. Both have great footwork, accuracy, and poise in the pocket which tells me they will be good for a long time.

Pat Mahomes has Andy Reid and a top 10 pass blocking offensive line(#6). Give Watson that, and the national media is raving about Watson. Deshaun has already shown he can explode with the worst pass blocking line in the league.

The scheme is the main difference between the two.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Watson is just as talented as Mahomes in almost every aspect. Sure, Watson’s arm isn’t as strong but it’s not too far off when he wants to get in to one. Both have great footwork, accuracy, and poise in the pocket which tells me they will be good for a long time.

Pat Mahomes has Andy Reid and a top 10 pass blocking offensive line(#6). Give Watson that, and the national media is raving about Watson. Deshaun has already shown he can explode with the worst pass blocking line in the league.

The scheme is the main difference between the two.

There's a lot more than scheme that separates them.

Mahomes has a bigger arm …. and its not really close.

I think the biggest difference is Mahomes ability to dissect a defense both pre and post snap. He gets thru the progressions and layers of the defense as fast as any QB in the league post snap.

I do think Watson handles pressure better and is the more slippery of the two in the pocket. But he has to learn to recognize that presnap and make the right adjustments , not just react to it after the fact and rely upon that slipperiness to make something out of nothing.

Yes , having Andy Reid is a decided advantage …. and OB is an anchor around Watson's neck.

corry

Waterboy

I think the biggest difference is Mahomes ability to dissect a defense both pre and post snap. He gets thru the progressions and layers of the defense as fast as any QB in the league post snap.

I do think Watson handles pressure better and is the more slippery of the two in the pocket. But he has to learn to recognize that presnap and make the right adjustments , not just react to it after the fact and rely upon that slipperiness to make something out of nothing.

Yes , having Andy Reid is a decided advantage …. and OB is an anchor around Watson's neck.
Mahomes led the league in “QB”(sacks responsible to the QB)sacks with a better offensive line. That doesn’t tell me he’s better pre snap.

Watch the game against Jacksonville, playing for Andy Reid is much easier.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Mahomes led the league in “QB”(sacks responsible to the QB)sacks with a better offensive line. That doesn’t tell me he’s better pre snap.

Do you have a source for this?

mussop

Hall of Fame
Who cares about who's better just sit back and enjoy being a fan during their careers. It appears their both going to be special. As Luck retires and Rodgers start to fade away and Father Time finally catches up with Brady and Breez, and it will, we could be looking at two of the next generation of great QBs. And one of them is ours! As a lifelong houstonian I’ve never had the incredible luck to say that. I may be premature with all this but it’s sure looking that is the case more and more. I actually was begging for us to trade up and draft Mahomes. Wasn’t super thrilled with Watson. Now Just glad we ended up with one of the two. It wouldn’t surprise me if either ended up as an all time great. Enjoy fellas this doesn’t happen often.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I watched that game and just about every other game the kid has played …. and I also scouted both of them coming out of college with a guy who has been in the NFL for 30+ years and wears 4 super bowl rings.

corry

Waterboy
I watched that game and just about every other game the kid has played …. and I also scouted both of them coming out of college with a guy who has been in the NFL for 30+ years and wears 4 super bowl rings.
You just said he goes through reads as fast as anyone and that’s simply not true. That belongs to guys that actually get the ball out quick like Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, and Brees. Watson and Mahomes also like to hold on to the ball. Watson also ended up having a better rating against the blitz which would also conflict with your earlier statement.

corry

Waterboy
Who cares about who's better just sit back and enjoy being a fan during their careers. It appears their both going to be special. As Luck retires and Rodgers start to fade away and Father Time finally catches up with Brady and Breez, and it will, we could be looking at two of the next generation of great QBs. And one of them is ours! As a lifelong houstonian I’ve never had the incredible luck to say that. I may be premature with all this but it’s sure looking that is the case more and more. I actually was begging for us to trade up and draft Mahomes. Wasn’t super thrilled with Watson. Now Just glad we ended up with one of the two. It wouldn’t surprise me if either ended up as an all time great. Enjoy fellas this doesn’t happen often.
Oh I don’t care. You can’t really prove who is due to the teams offensive disparity relative to the coach and offensive line.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You just said he goes through reads as fast as anyone and that’s simply not true. That belongs to guys that actually get the ball out quick like Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, and Brees. Watson and Mahomes also like to hold on to the ball. Watson also ended up having a better rating against the blitz which would also conflict with your earlier statement.

I'm done here.

DanielTx

Veteran
Watson’s arm is underrated. I saw him chunk it 70 yards on that fuller play. Where was it from, the end zone I think. As far as excitement goes I mean you have to go with Watson. His clueless hc keeps the score close leading to a more entertaining game. With Patrick you know your going to watch him carve up a defense but he just isn’t as flashy as Deshaun when it comes to entertainment value. For ex: like Watson first td dive. It was pretty smooth the way he glided into the end zone. Doubt mahomes can do that

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Watson’s arm is underrated. I saw him chunk it 70 yards on that fuller play. Where was it from, the end zone I think. As far as excitement goes I mean you have to go with Watson. His clueless hc keeps the score close leading to a more entertaining game. With Patrick you know your going to watch him carve up a defense but he just isn’t as flashy as Deshaun when it comes to entertainment value. For ex: like Watson first td dive. It was pretty smooth the way he glided into the end zone. Doubt mahomes can do that
It wasn't 70 yards.

I love Deshaun, wouldn't trade him for anyone, but it's impossible to have an objective discussion about him here.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

That's why from the beginning of this thread, I stated it was about who was more exciting.

I knew that some dispshits would come in here right away and ignore that part of the post and do the opposite though.

I thought it was a good discussion, because Mahomes has the better arm and Watson has faster legs to scramble but both are still good at those other things making them two of the most exciting QB's we've ever seen.

This is really supposed to be a fun thread. Not a serious debate thread.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Agree.

Mahomes is much more accurate as well.

But that’s no slight to DW4...Mahomes is just an other-worldly talent when it comes to passing. Those guys are rare.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Agree.

But that’s no slight to DW4...Mahomes is just an other-worldly talent when it comes to passing. Those guys are rare.

Arm wise he is up there with Favre, Marino, and Rodgers. I don't care which guy you or someone else thinks is the best out of those 4 from an arm strength gun slinging perspective, but I hold these 4 up as the best ever at purely slinging it. That is just one aspect of what makes a QB effective obviously though.

mussop

Hall of Fame
That's why from the beginning of this thread, I stated it was about who was more exciting.

I knew that some dispshits would come in here right away and ignore that part of the post and do the opposite though.

I thought it was a good discussion, because Mahomes has the better arm and Watson has faster legs to scramble but both are still good at those other things making them two of the most exciting QB's we've ever seen.

This is really supposed to be a fun thread. Not a serious debate thread.
Sorry I wasn’t trying to derail your thread. Honestly should of read your post better. Skimmed over it and thought you were asking who’s better. My bad.

Let’s see more exciting, I’m going with Watson because he is just so dam Elusive. There are times when it appears a defender has him dead to rights and he just makes them look bad. That’s exciting when he does that.

corry

Waterboy
Agree.

How is Mahomes much more accurate?

He threw for a 66% completion percentage in a system with more screens and shorter passes last year.

Watson went for a 68% completion rate last year while playing a harder schedule defensively.

Numbers lie?

corry

Waterboy
Because completion percentage leaves A LOT to be desire when discussing accuracy?
One guy is “much more accurate” than the guy who has a higher completion percentage than him. I love the logic behind that.

Relative to 2018.

Who had the friendlier QB scheme?
Mahomes
Who had the better offensive line?
Mahomes
Who had the better skill players?
Mahomes

How is the guy that had those three advantages have a lesser completion percentage? I’m having trouble understanding.

For most of the year, one guy was throwing to DeAndre Hopkins, Stephen Mitchell, V. Smith, Joe Webb III, Ryan Griffin and DeAndre Carter.

How many of those guys will be getting offensive snaps next week?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
One guy is “much more accurate” than the guy who has a higher completion percentage than him. I love the logic behind that.

Relative to 2018.

Who had the friendlier QB scheme?
Mahomes
Who had the better offensive line?
Mahomes
Who had the better skill players?
Mahomes

How is the guy that had those three advantages have a lesser completion percentage? I’m having trouble understanding.

For most of the year, one guy was throwing to DeAndre Hopkins, Stephen Mitchell, V. Smith, Joe Webb III, Ryan Griffin and DeAndre Carter.

How many of those guys will be getting offensive snaps next week?
Targets for DW for 2018..

Hopkins - 163
Fuller - 45
Griffin - 43
Coutee - 41
Miller - 35
D Thomas - 33
Blue - 27
J Thomas - 27
Akins - 25

So that's a massive percentage of throws to the most sure handed guy of the bunch. Then it's only one guy from your list. Then it's a lot of backs and tight ends, aka generally low risk throws.

And so no, for most of the year he wasn't throwing to those guys.

At least characterize the argument reasonably.

Not to mention there are degrees of accuracy for completions. They're not all just one for one complete when discussing accuracy.

corry

Waterboy
Targets for DW for 2018..

Hopkins - 163
Fuller - 45
Griffin - 43
Coutee - 41
Miller - 35
D Thomas - 33
Blue - 27
J Thomas - 27
Akins - 25

So that's a massive percentage of throws to the most sure handed guy of the bunch. Then it's only one guy from your list. Then it's a lot of backs and tight ends, aka generally low risk throws.

And so no, for most of the year he wasn't throwing to those guys.

At least characterize the argument reasonably.

Not to mention there are degrees of accuracy for completions. They're not all just one for one complete when discussing accuracy.
Pat Mahomes targets per position
292- WR
175-TE
97-RB

Deshaun Watson
327-WR
95-TE
68-RB

Do you want to keep going? Or no?

You should see the amount of passes that were thrown behind the line of scrimmage. Mahomes had quite a few more in 2018 as well.

Last edited:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Mahomes and it ain’t even close. That kid has a golden arm.
As much as I like Watson his arm is not in the same category of what Mahomes is packing and for that matter neither is the right arm of Tom Brady
who may the GOAT in terms of football accomplishments but for pure arm talent only Aaron Rogers is in the same conversation with MaHomes among active QBs.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
How is Mahomes much more accurate?

He threw for a 66% completion percentage in a system with more screens and shorter passes last year.

Watson went for a 68% completion rate last year while playing a harder schedule defensively.

Numbers lie?
Yes numbers lie. To put it into perspective. The bomb DW4 threw to will fuller...That's a TD if Mahomes throws it b/c he throws it & Fuller is able to run under it. Same for the underthrow DW4 threw to Nuk in the Saints game that he dropped. Those are 2 TDs if Mahomes throws them b/c he's putting them on the money. Mahomes has shown uncanny accuracy when throwing on the run where as DW4 is traditional, he needs his base firmly set. If he's forced to move.......He's still ok, but you get way more errant throws.

Again not a slight at all of DW4, Mahomes just has more arm talent....Both are exciting...but man Mahomes just makes it look so damn easy.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
When purely answering the OP's question, it's Watson for me.

We have to compare the QB objectively and take them out of their respective offenses. KC's offense is more exciting by a mile!!! But that doesn't mean Mahomes is the more exciting QB (at least for me).

Watson's ability to escape pressure and get first downs with his legs is what makes him more exciting than Mahomes (to me of course).

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Yes numbers lie. To put it into perspective. The bomb DW4 threw to will fuller...That's a TD if Mahomes throws it b/c he throws it & Fuller is able to run under it. Same for the underthrow DW4 threw to Nuk in the Saints game that he dropped. Those are 2 TDs if Mahomes throws them b/c he's putting them on the money. Mahomes has shown uncanny accuracy when throwing on the run where as DW4 is traditional, he needs his base firmly set. If he's forced to move.......He's still ok, but you get way more errant throws.

Again not a slight at all of DW4, Mahomes just has more arm talent....Both are exciting...but man Mahomes just makes it look so damn easy.
Except when he's trying no-look passes to guys that are already wide open. Haha.

DanielTx

Veteran
As much as I like Watson his arm is not in the same category of what Mahomes is packing and for that matter neither is the right arm of Tom Brady
who may the GOAT in terms of football accomplishments but for pure arm talent only Aaron Rogers is in the same conversation with MaHomes among active QBs.
Bottom line if the games on the line and I have to choose out of Mahomes and Watson to deliver a 50 yard bomb. I think everyone’s choosing Watson. Mahomes might be more accurate but when Deshaun is in the zone. No one comes close. Not to be bias. Even if I wasn’t a Texans fan I would pick Watson. Something about mahomes just rubs me wrong. Idk what it is. Maybe his voice

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Sorry I wasn’t trying to derail your thread. Honestly should of read your post better. Skimmed over it and thought you were asking who’s better. My bad.

Let’s see more exciting, I’m going with Watson because he is just so dam Elusive. There are times when it appears a defender has him dead to rights and he just makes them look bad. That’s exciting when he does that.
No worries man. I wasn't even referring to you. I was just clarifying the initial purpose.

They're both really fun to watch and seem like good guys so I think its nice for the league to have