Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson or Mahomes? Who is more exciting?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I don't really get the Andy Reid hate on the Chiefs board. Guess every team that struggles at times question their HC... a lot of posters there seem to have a long lasting problem with him. To me the Chiefs look like the team to beat in the next decade, if they clean up their OL. I have never seen so many open receivers as with Reids offense... if I wasn a Chiefs fan, I would be very happy with where the team is at right now, including HC.

Back to topic, I would start to call it a draw. Both can do things that noone else can, both will improvise and something great will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them will be in the top 5 QB discussion every year, maybe top 3... maybe even a Brady/Manning thing...
Because Reid has always been a great play designer but not so much a great play caller. Like calling a running play on 2nd and 14 when you don't have and haven't even used a run game for 4 years. There has always been a formula to beat Reid and once a team figures it out then all the other teams can copy it till Reid manages to create a new offense then the cycle repeats. NE figured this one last year, Lions showed it could still work but they just didn't have the talent to make it work, Colts picked up where Lions left off and then we just followed the now well beaten path.

In some ways Reid and BoB have similar issues which may be why they have had almost identical success since Reid got to KC. Both play to their strengths but refuse to acknowledge their weaknesses. I would love to have Reid as a HC designing plays with the understanding that he is not going to be the one calling those plays.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Have you not watched any of the games since Watson cane into the league? He’s been the most sacked and hit QB, if you don’t call that pressure then I don't know what is!
He hasn't really been pressured much at all this yr. Most of the sacks he took during the 1st 4 games was because he held on to the ball too long. The OL has played quite well this yr.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The studio guys made some very interesting points at halftime. They were talking about Mahomes relying too much on 'falling down' throws, where he doesn't have his feet set. They are spectacular plays to watch as highlights, but they are not sound QB fundamentals. Relying on them too much puts a lot of reliance on athleticism and having receivers extend plays to get open. Once hobbled, our defense was catching him quickly.

Watson seems to be getting more and more comfortable in this offense. He's seeing blitzes, picking up protection calls, and checking down. He gets out of the pocket when requires - sometimes by design - and he's always looking downfield when he's behind the LOS. Once he's a runner, I'm glad to see him running out of bounds and sliding a lot more than he did in the past.

Both QBs are going to be very exciting to watch in the coming years. That said, I'm glad Watson is our QB. He's got the 'it' factor of a leader and he's certainly got that clutch vibe that no moment is too big for him. He looks like he's just having fun out there, even though his mind is processing hundreds of bits of details at any given moment.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We should send steelb over there and have him explain how stupid mahomes is and how Reid should just go back to his college offense
The Chiefs really miss Fisher.

Just like I said before the K.C. vs Indy game. LT's are kinda important. Luckily The Texans have Tunsil protecting Watson's blindside. 0 pressures allowed the last 2 games and the offense has looked great because Watson is finally well protected.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
How about which QB is more valuable; Mahomes or Watson?

This is a really bad example to put forth though.

Those losers change their opinions every other week on whatever makes them look smarter based on who wins or loses. Half of their arguments they make they use flat out lies to back their statements up.

LikeMike

Veteran
How about which QB is more valuable; Mahomes or Watson?
Mahomes does things Watson can’t do because of his arm strength, Watson does things Mahomes can’t do because of his legs. No question the Texans would suffer more from losing Watson than the chiefs would losing Mahomes. In the end i am with the guy on the right, Mahomes is a better talent but it is pretty close and Watson is more valuable to his team.

plus I really like how clutch Watson is. That’s what won Eli two Super Bowls. He was never an elite talent and he never had the best team but he played his best when the lights where the brightest. I am not sure about Mahomes here but I have absolute trust in Watson!

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So he went from outside the top 10 to top 5 in two games?
You're statement was that many didn't think he was top 10 in that thread

edit: I'm not sure he's top 5 right now if everyone healthy

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't remember that. I'm curious, who said it?

And just to be clear that thread was started right after week 1, not just two games ago.
But it was after the Carolina game where the most negativity on Watson came out.

I just looked at page 5 of that thread and two people said he's not top 10

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
There was only one.

You can back that claim up by quoting them. Otherwise I read that page and..

..one.
I misread one post.

But there were several in ensuing pages who said he is definitely not top 5 without specifying how low. One said 14 th (his pff rank at the time) was accurate

And of course there is karlk too. And others arguing he was bad to that point in the season. And after the Atlanta game people were saying it was mostly because Atlanta's defense is bad

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I misread one post.

But there were several in ensuing pages who said he is definitely not top 5 without specifying how low. One said 14 th (his pff rank at the time) was accurate

And of course there is karlk too. And others arguing he was bad to that point in the season. And after the Atlanta game people were saying it was mostly because Atlanta's defense is bad
Dude, you're doing message board gymnastics to stand by an utterly flimsy position just so you can do your best Richard Sherman impersonation.

Several people anointed him a HoF'er as soon as he was drafted and haven't wavered regardless of his play, good or bad.

A couple were less than thrilled he was drafted and have looked for any reason to validate that opinion.

And some more were critical but hopeful he could ultimately become 'the guy' - the nerve of them though right? And they've been watching and gauging his development and prospects as his play has described from one week to the next and one season to the next.

But go ahead, knock yourself out. Keep on that he's TexansTalk most hated just so you can tear your rotator cuff patting yourself on the back.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Dude, you're doing message board gymnastics to stand by an utterly flimsy position just so you can do your best Richard Sherman impersonation.

Several people anointed him a HoF'er as soon as he was drafted and haven't wavered regardless of his play, good or bad.

A couple were less than thrilled he was drafted and have looked for any reason to validate that opinion.

And some more were critical but hopeful he could ultimately become 'the guy' - the nerve of them though right? And they've been watching and gauging his development and prospects as his play has described from one week to the next and one season to the next.

But go ahead, knock yourself out. Keep on that he's TexansTalk most hated just so you can tear your rotator cuff patting yourself on the back.
All I said was that there were people who didn't think he was top10.

I don't think he is hated here but I was surprised at how many were sure he wasn't top 5 after one bad game vs Carolina

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
All I said was that there were people who didn't think he was top10.

I don't think he is hated here but I was surprised at how many were sure he wasn't top 5 after one bad game vs Carolina
Very few, if more than one, have consistently put him outside the top 10.

Many more have decided, seemingly regardless of his play, that he's top 3.

I wasn't convinced he was top 5 after Carolina. That's not an absurd position. He looked shaky as hell at times while some other very talented qbs were balling, shocker I know. And it's silly to treat saying he might be the sixth best qb in the league (as though that's any kind of genuine delineation) as a flabbergasting insult.

More absurd is to knee-jerk every single week like it's a career defining game. Maybe folks could let the season play out before saying he's terrible and holding O'Brien down or it's about time he put on a butt-ugly but very important yellow jacket.

But ya, fans gon' fan.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I think I asked, not sure it was ever clarified, if we were talking about top 10 all time or top 10 currently playing. All time right now I say no but I also say no to Mahomes. Like Aikman said, and God do I hate agreeing with a cowboy QB, let them win a Super Bowl before anointing them.

If we are just talking currently playing then yeah I would agree he’s top 10 easy and maybe top 5 depending on what Brees and Big Ben look like once they get back. I’d put him over Newton, Foles, Rivers and Geoff any day of the week. Brady is still Brady and you can’t take anything away from him, no QB has ever changed their entire style up to match the strengths and weaknesses of their team like he has through the years.

As for Watson and Mahomes we are just now watching the start of this duel and it’s a beautiful thing. This is Brady Vs. Manning, Aikman Vs. Young and Marino Vs. Elway in their prime and we get to be on one side of the next legendary match up if both stay healthy. It’s way to soon to say who will come out the winner but by God did Watson fire the first shot and prove he belonged in that fight.

eriadoc

Texan-American
I misread one post.

It all depends on how you want to frame the discussion. If you want to do a weekly power ranking style discussion, then yeah, his 14th rank on PFF was accurate at that point. That has nothing to do with his long term ranking, or even where you think he ranks over the last 25 games. He had back to back crap games and that will tend to affect your power ranking, especially early in the season like that.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about where he currently ranks in broader terms, he's clearly much higher than 14th, but I'd argue he's not top 3. Top guys have hardware. Watson has zilch in that department. Even Mahomes has an MVP, and while I don't personally think Mahomes is better than Watson, he's got pelts on the wall, to some degree. Brady has rings. Brees has a ring. Russell Wilson has a ring. Roethlisberger has a couple rings. Hell, we all know Eli isn't as good as Watson, but he's got a couple rings. So it all depends on how you want to frame the conversation.

What I will say is this: If I were building a team from scratch today for the next 5-10 years, there's only one guy I'd take ahead of him, and that's Russell Wilson (prime of his career, experience, past performance, current performance, skill set, leadership, tenacity, etc). I think the future is bright as hell for Watson, and that future should be this year. But until he guides his team to a championship game and/or just dominates the league, he's not going to rank in that top 3 that so many of y'all prematurely elevate him to. JMO.

DanielTx

Veteran
KC fans- "Mahomes had a bad ankle an O-linman were injured, against a good defense. Texans Fans "My QB had brusied ribs, a collapsed lung, and the worst O-line in the league and still won

Deshaun been dealing with this the last 2 season not just 2 games like Mahomes. Deshauns early adversity (while still playing elite) will make him the best in the league soon. He’s top 3 for now

& people forget Alex smith looked like a mvp in the chiefs offense.

Last edited:

dream_team

Hall of Fame
This is why it's important to be patient in the NFL, especially when finding your franchise QB.

Since the Texans moved on from Matt Schaub, these are all of the QBs drafted in the 1st round.

Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater

Winston
Mariota

Goff
Wentz
Lynch

Trubisky
Mahomes
Watson

Mayfield
Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Jackson

Not including 2019, too early. But out of ALL of those QBs, which guy would you rather have over Watson? IMO, only one guy is worthy of a debate, and that's Mahomes.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
This is why it's important to be patient in the NFL, especially when finding your franchise QB.

Since the Texans moved on from Matt Schaub, these are all of the QBs drafted in the 1st round.

Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater

Winston
Mariota

Goff
Wentz
Lynch

Trubisky
Mahomes
Watson

Mayfield
Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Jackson

Not including 2019, too early. But out of ALL of those QBs, which guy would you rather have over Watson? IMO, only one guy is worthy of a debate, and that's Mahomes.
I'm not even sure I'd take Mahomes at this point. Lets see how he does when he's lost many of his weapons, has injuries to overcome and has to win despite his defense. Not saying he won't do it but now we'll get to really see what Mahomes is made of. We've already seen what Watson is made of.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
We all have our levels of exciting

Personally last year and this year when Texans and chiefs are playing at same time I start watching chiefs offense on my redzone tv no matter what texans are doing. Mahomes has done some great stuff. All pro, MVP and what not.

Watson has now finally been unleashed. That idiot OB finally put professional football players in front of him. All the boy needed was competent OLine play. Now he got it.

Watson will never have the arm talent mahomes has. Yet mahomes isnt the runner Watson is. That's all I see different.

These two are the future of the NFL.

Good luck playing man against them. To many weapons.

Mahomes is in oline hell that Watson was in last year.

Injuries happen though. Hopefully mahomes get better. Last year mahomes had the edge. This year Watson.

Last year that boy Mahomes got dealt with by big daddy brady and company. Let's hope watson and texans hold up health wise and they get their shot and Brady and company.

I love watching qbs get after it.

Think I'm done with this thread.

Wait one more thing, wasnt word heading into the draft that OB and company liked mahomes more so in that draft?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I said up thread, or maybe in another thread, I think if you swapped Mahomes and Watson, you'd have similar results. Andy Reid with Watson would be better than O'Brien with Mahomes.
Disagree

But you're splitting hairs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater

Winston
Mariota

Goff
Wentz
Lynch

Trubisky
Mahomes
Watson

Mayfield
Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Jackson

Jimmy G and Wilson were found outside of the 1st rd and should count.

I understand how you set up the framework for this discussion and I agree.