Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson or Mahomes? Who is more exciting?

I didn't make a disingenuous claim about who anyone was throwing to to try and prove a point.

“So that's a massive percentage of throws to the most sure handed guy of the bunch. Then it's only one guy from your list. Then it's a lot of backs and tight ends, aka generally low risk throws.”

Sure you didn’t.

“So that's a massive percentage of throws to the most sure handed guy of the bunch. Then it's only one guy from your list. Then it's a lot of backs and tight ends, aka generally low risk throws.”

Sure you didn’t.

What part of that order, from the non-highlighted to the highlighted there, is inaccurate?

No worries man. I wasn't even referring to you. I was just clarifying the initial purpose.

They're both really fun to watch and seem like good guys so I think its nice for the league to have
It’s nice that we have one oh them. This truly is a QB driven league. If Watson stays healthy and on this course not even bad coaching will hold him back.

Was and still am a big mahomes fan. I’d give him the edge over Watson but to me it’s like Peyton vs Brady in their heyday.

Hopefully Watson has a Brady like career. Mahomes can have the flashy stuff. Give me the grit, clutch and championships.

That takes coach and player.

Was and still am a big mahomes fan. I’d give him the edge over Watson but to me it’s like Peyton vs Brady in their heyday.

Hopefully Watson has a Brady like career. Mahomes can have the flashy stuff. Give me the grit, clutch and championships.

That takes coach and player.

Very true, and to add on to that it more than anything I think it takes a player that is willing to be coached and coached constantly. A lot of elites have a huge ego at that point in their careers and listen less.

One in the same......Mahomes plays with a very smart organization and Watson plays with an organization that isn't the sharpest stick in the wood pile. That's the difference. Put Watson in KC and he'll look and produce like Mahomes......put Mahomes in Houston and.....well you get the picture.

This is an over-simplification... Watson has neither the arm-strength or the accuracy of Mahomes. They are different qb's and not really comparable. They both are very exciting but in different ways

Watson has had nothing in the way of an OL since his arrival.....giving him time could produce a much better QB. Also, OB is no Andy Reid when it comes to scheming an offense.

Mahomes is fun to watch. He has far more talent around him and competent coaching. His arm talent is sensational.

Watson is gifted in his own right. He doesn't have as good an arm but he's got ice water in his veins. No stage is to big for him. Seeing someone so young have so much composure is rare. He's an assassin.

The question here isn't who's better, it's who's more exciting. To me that means outside factors come into play. Like the offensive play calling and scheme itself. Watching Watson get sacked isn't exciting. Knowing Watson could do something special on 3rd and 17 and then seeing OB call a draw play isnt exciting.

Maybe my opinion is an unfair comparison between Reid's offense vs OB's instead of the QBs themself? That said, Mahomes is the guy for me.

Targets for DW for 2018..

Hopkins - 163
Fuller - 45
Griffin - 43
Coutee - 41
Miller - 35
D Thomas - 33
Blue - 27
J Thomas - 27
Akins - 25

So that's a massive percentage of throws to the most sure handed guy of the bunch. Then it's only one guy from your list. Then it's a lot of backs and tight ends, aka generally low risk throws.

And so no, for most of the year he wasn't throwing to those guys.

At least characterize the argument reasonably.

Not to mention there are degrees of accuracy for completions. They're not all just one for one complete when discussing accuracy.

So simple and you had to go to all of this trouble to point it out.

Accuracy can be a completion hitting a guy in stride cutting across the middle vs a completion were a guy has to stop and is tackled at the spot of the catch.

This is an over-simplification... Watson has neither the arm-strength or the accuracy of Mahomes. They are different qb's and not really comparable. They both are very exciting but in different ways

I don’t think anyone can argue arm strength. The accuracy blows my mind considering Watson was statistically more accurate than Mahomes last year. Watson was also cited in throwing the ball in tighter windows on average.

Let’s also keep in mind that Mahomes threw on average 4 more passes a game within 5 yards of the LOS which are deemed easier throws. This also doesn’t take in to account the percentages which Mahomes threw to his backs and Te’s which theoretically are easier throws due to scheme.

So tell me how he is more accurate please.

Mahomes is obviously better and more exciting in his offense than Watson is in his... at the moment. Once Watson is given a modicum of protection and a competent OC willing to design an offense around his skillset - like Mahomes has had the luxury of - then the sky is the limit.

If the Texans and Chiefs switched QBs, Watson probably looks better.

Im confused with those saying Mahomes is more accurate. I get arm strength that’s obvious but What exactly are y’all basing Mahomes being more accurate on? Statistically Watson is better and when you factor in how much pressure Watson deals with this is a no brained that overall Watson is more accurate.

Im confused with those saying Mahomes is more accurate. I get arm strength that’s obvious but What exactly are y’all basing Mahomes being more accurate on? Statistically Watson is better and when you factor in how much pressure Watson deals with this is a no brained that overall Watson is more accurate.

Haven't looked at the stats. Can you post them?

The thread question is who's more exciting?

Who cares about who's better just sit back and enjoy being a fan during their careers. It appears their both going to be special. As Luck retires and Rodgers start to fade away and Father Time finally catches up with Brady and Breez, and it will, we could be looking at two of the next generation of great QBs. And one of them is ours! As a lifelong houstonian I’ve never had the incredible luck to say that. I may be premature with all this but it’s sure looking that is the case more and more. I actually was begging for us to trade up and draft Mahomes. Wasn’t super thrilled with Watson. Now Just glad we ended up with one of the two. It wouldn’t surprise me if either ended up as an all time great. Enjoy fellas this doesn’t happen often.
I got to watch Staubach, Bradshaw, Tarkenton, Griese, and Stabler in the 70's, Montana, Moon, Marino, Thiessman, Bernie Kosar, Boomer Esiason, and Dan Fouts in the 80's, John Elway, Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly and Brett Favra (:D)in the 90's, Manning, Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Rivers, Warner, Rodgers in the 2000's. It happens quite often. It just doesn't happen to Houston fans very often. Including Watson, Houston NFL teams have had exactly 2 great QBs.

I got to watch Staubach, Bradshaw, Tarkenton, Griese, and Stabler in the 70's, Montana, Moon, Marino, Thiessman, Bernie Kosar, Boomer Esiason, and Dan Fouts in the 80's, John Elway, Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly and Brett Favra (:D)in the 90's, Manning, Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Rivers, Warner, Rodgers in the 2000's. It happens quite often. It just doesn't happen to Houston fans very often. Including Watson, Houston NFL teams have had exactly 2 great QBs.

Actually we’ve had three. Well if you count Jim Kelly. The Gamblers were the funnest most exciting team I’ve ever watched.

As much as I like Watson his arm is not in the same category of what Mahomes is packing and for that matter neither is the right arm of Tom Brady
who may the GOAT in terms of football accomplishments but for pure arm talent only Aaron Rogers is in the same conversation with MaHomes among active QBs.
I disagree about Rodgers. I don't think he's been all that for a few years now. I'd put Wilson up there with Mahommes for arm talent. He doesn't get near enough credit for his passing ability, imho.

It wasn't 70 yards.

I love Deshaun, wouldn't trade him for anyone, but it's impossible to have an objective discussion about him here.

It's impossible to separate either from the talent around them. Throwing to Kareem Hunt out of the backfield is more exciting to watch than throwing to Lamar Miller or Alfred Blue.

Throwing to Travis Kelce is more exciting to watch than throwing to Ryan Griffin.

Still, Sammy Watkins & Tyreek Hill seem to have more run after the catch opportunities than Hopkins & whoever is healthy. May be because of better ball placement, may be better play design, may be because defenses are spread thinner trying to cover four playmakers (all were playmakers before Mahomes) instead of two.

But as it is, Mahomes is more exciting to watch right now.

Don’t need a dubious metric to see that..

I concur..
I think we're talking about different definitions of the word accuracy. & really I don't know how we can say who is right. None of us know what the guy (throwing the ball) is aiming at.

Sure, most of the time we can say it should be obvious.

I think it should be safe to say Mahomes has demonstrated uncanny ball placement skills.

At the same time we have to acknowledge Watson hasn't had as many wide open targets. But Watson has proven to be extremely accurate as well.

I haven't seen anyone in here characterizing Watson as inaccurate.

Meanwhile, I'll bite, define accurate..

We get to see some Houdini like escapes and some amazing plays on the ground and through the air by DW and that is exciting. Still it is hard to say who is more exciting. DW has made a lot of things happen toward the good when most Quarterbacks would either throw an interception, take a big loss or end up fumbling. Than again DW also takes too many risk when they are not warranted. I have enjoyed what DW has done so far but I would love to see what he is capable of with a better O-line and better coaching!

Patrick Mahomes II is not as Houdini like as DW but he is mobile enough. He knows how to exploit the weaknesses of other teams defenses, has a accurate and strong arm and works the pocket like many of the greats before him. He is better coached and that helps still he shows a maturity well beyond his years and I think it would be that way no matter who he had as coaches.

DW makes some exciting plays but I like offenses that are run like a fine oiled machine and quarterbacks that are at the top of their craft. That would be Patrick Mahomes II for me at this time!

Last edited:
Would've been weird to think of LeBron as a three-star recruit who would've had to have gone to the basketball equivalent of TTech..

Would've been weird to think of LeBron as a three-star recruit who would've had to have gone to the basketball equivalent of TTech..
Yeah, but to me, Watson has swag and the ability to find creative ways to win. He elevates his team and his play when it matters, like Jordan.

Mahomes is a physical talent with something others don't possess, arm talent. He can physically dominate people, like Lebron.

Both are legends in their own ways

Yeah Mohames based off 2 weeks

What about last years MVP ?

Two weeks and he's thrown for more 313 in a quarter in both games …. Only 6 QB's average 313 per game.

14 plays of 20+ #2 has 12
7 plays of 40+ - no one else has more than 4.
No INT's.
only 2 sacks
Averaging 410 yards a game - 46 more than anyone else and has done it on 16 less attempts than #2.

I don't even think there's an argument at this point …. Mahomes far and away.

We can make excuses for Watson all day long …. but the bottom line is what it is. One of them won an MVP his first year as a starter and is setting the league afire in year two while the other one is struggling on multiple fronts.

Blame the coach.
Blame the OL.
Blame the playcalling.
Blame the refs.
Blame the receivers …. if you must.
Blame the water boy too.

But the results speak for themselves.

Back