Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson’s a top 5 qb. Do you agree?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
:brickwall: the day after we beat the patriots the media discusses Tom Brady performance and gives the Texans 10% respect. Same thing happened with kc. Maybe that’s why B.mack and the boys showed up in swat uniforms. The media doesn’t give them enough attention lol
Why the hell do you care?

Those sports media outlets are total clown shows mainly filled with politics behind what they report and how they report things. If they have ignored the Texans for this long, then why are you begging for their acknowledgement and satisfaction now? I don't get why anyone would want guys like Steven A. Smith, Kellerman, or Shannon Sloppy to discuss their teams when they flip flop every other day and come up with wild narratives they think will sell all of the time to determine how they report. Its much better that they don't discuss the Texans and create fake news and fictitious narratives.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
2018/2009/2010/2008

All the most recent years those guys got a ring.

And all the respect in the world to them and their career accomplishments, but top 5 is about today more so than a decade ago.
Valid point.

Wilson - consistent
Mahomes - consistent
Jackson - consistent
Brees - consistent
Watson - inconsistent
Rodgers - working with new HC
Brady - weak with questions

He fits somewhere in there. Just need to see more consistency.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Valid point.

Wilson - consistent
Mahomes - consistent
Jackson - consistent
Brees - consistent
Watson - inconsistent
Rodgers - working with new HC
Brady - weak with questions

He fits somewhere in there. Just need to see more consistency.
Totally agree with this. Playoffs and superbowl are 3-4 of consistency. Need that from Watson. 3-4 weeks in a row. Only OB can get in his way.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Last 7 GamesYardsCompl %TD/INTPasser RatingY/A
Brady1,85955.8%8/481.26.2
Trubisky1,60863.1%10/585.96.3
Minshew1,74056.5%9/484.17.1
Watson1,76969.1%12/698.87.8
Mahomes1,78860.9%10/294.77.5
Jackson1,26167.5%14/0120.37.8
Wilson1,76863.4%14/4100.67.7
Brees1,79173.7%12/4104.47.4
Rodgers1,75865.6%16/1109.37.5
Prescott2,18264.8%12/596.07.9
Cousins1,99069.8%18/2118.38.5
Murray1,54265%10/295.86.8
Carr1,72668.4%10/5100.18.3
Wentz1,68863.8%10/587.16.4
Josh Allen1,46960.5%11/198.77.2

Mainly just wanted to point out how much Brady has fallen off.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Last 7 GamesYardsCompl %TD/INTPasser RatingY/A
Brady1,85955.8%8/481.26.2
Trubisky1,60863.1%10/585.96.3
Minshew1,74056.5%9/484.17.1
Watson1,76969.1%12/698.87.8
Mahomes1,78860.9%10/294.77.5
Jackson1,26167.5%14/0120.37.8
Wilson1,76863.4%14/4100.67.7
Brees1,79173.7%12/4104.47.4
Rodgers1,75865.6%16/1109.37.5
Prescott2,18264.8%12/596.07.9
Cousins1,99069.8%18/2118.38.5
Murray1,54265%10/295.86.8
Carr1,72668.4%10/5100.18.3
Wentz1,68863.8%10/587.16.4
Josh Allen1,46960.5%11/198.77.2
Mainly just wanted to point out how much Brady has fallen off.
He hasn't hardly fallen off at all.

His receivers have been a total merry go round all season long and on top of that they can't get open. He isn't a mobile QB and he has very little time to throw. No running game at all either. What exactly do you expect him to do in that situation? Brady will have similar numbers this season to what he had in 2013 where he started the season with two rookies at WR one of them being an undrafted player in Kendrell Tompkins. The Pats lost almost all their weapons on offense to start that season just like this year and the offensive results were very similar. It was one of Brady's best seasons despite the lack of statistical numbers and the drop-off. Pats went 12-4 that year and barely lost in the AFC Championship game to the 55 TD season Broncos who stole Welker from them in the off season.

Their WR situation was awful last season and they did very little to make it better. Their offense coaching is what has fallen off. They've done nothing scheme wise to improve it.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Rothlesberger.

All have Super Bowl rings for a reason. Watson has to work on his consistency.
I'm speaking of current (2019) top 5, not career top 5.

I do not disagree with the overall greatness of your list, but this season three of your four are not top 5 in 2019. JMO.

I'd put Rodgers on my top 5 current. Kind of ashamed that I temporarily forgot him yesterday. :zzz:

Watson at 4 according to PFF

Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Rothlesberger.

All have Super Bowl rings for a reason. Watson has to work on his consistency.
Bellicheck/Peyton/McCarthy/Tomlin

Watson definitely needs to get consistent, and I think he will but I do think a reason Mahomes and Lamar are more consistent sooner than him is they are working with Harbaugh and Reid. Even if B'OB isn't the worst the HC in the world, he's definitely not on the level on any of the 6 coaches I listed in this comment and I do think that plays a big factor into Watson not being even better than he is now.

Now B'OB has been more aggressive this season with DW this season and he's learning he has a franchise QB and to not go full B'OB so Watson will probably get there especially if he finishes the season strong.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I'm speaking of current (2019) top 5, not career top 5.

I do not disagree with the overall greatness of your list, but this season three of your four are not top 5 in 2019. JMO.

I'd put Rodgers on my top 5 current. Kind of ashamed that I temporarily forgot him yesterday. :zzz:
That’s wasn’t so much my list as I was adding to current lists of top 5. As Mollywhopper pointed out - this is a what have you done for me lately, as I this year not bring in the past.

That being said - Watson is either there or or at 5b.

I don’t care if he is top 5. I value winning the last game of the season more than anything. As does most except fanboys.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Watson at 4 according to PFF

Bellicheck/Peyton/McCarthy/Tomlin

Watson definitely needs to get consistent, and I think he will but I do think a reason Mahomes and Lamar are more consistent sooner than him is they are working with Harbaugh and Reid. Even if B'OB isn't the worst the HC in the world, he's definitely not on the level on any of the 6 coaches I listed in this comment and I do think that plays a big factor into Watson not being even better than he is now.

Now B'OB has been more aggressive this season with DW this season and he's learning he has a franchise QB and to not go full B'OB so Watson will probably get there especially if he finishes the season strong.
Agree 100% on both fronts.

OB isn’t as good as the other HCs.

As @Earl34 pointed out DW has been doing more on the sidelines talking with players going over plays and at the line of scrimmage. Don’t know if OB is letting him loose more. I have said OB always gets more creative at the end of the year and in playoffs for whatever reason. It’s always - where has that been all season?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That’s wasn’t so much my list as I was adding to current lists of top 5. As Mollywhopper pointed out - this is a what have you done for me lately, as I this year not bring in the past.

That being said - Watson is either there or or at 5b.

I don’t care if he is top 5. I value winning the last game of the season more than anything. As does most except fanboys.
Yep, it's all good. I posted the same sort of thing earlier in this thread, top 5 based on careers.

Top 5 is fun to chat about, but I agree with you, it's ultimately irrelevant. I'd be happy for Watson if he ever earns an MVP, but I'd rather see him hoist the Lombardi trophy regardless of personal awards.

And honestly, I truly feel like he's the kind of QB that can win an NFL championship for this city.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

:cricket::cricket::cricket:

first they came for his passing velocity. then they came for his size. then they came for his running style. then they came for his intellect. then they came for his "anticipation passing". then they came for his "blitz reading". then they came for his "throw it in the middle of the field" ability.

then they had to be quiet.
This is offensive

I will probably get banned for my opinion.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
For the record, nobody was banned for JIC. I think it's kinda' dumb, but not ban worthy.

The truth is to get a TEMP ban around here, you get many warnings in advance. Threshold is 5, to be exact.

And it's often for easy-to-understand things like vulgarity and true insults. I won't elaborate on specifics of any given member, but just say that there are many warning signs and it's only a TEMP ban. Those warnings are recorded and were fair. Nobody is playing favorites. Mods check each other and hold each other accountable, too. Heck, mods have even deleted other mods. It's nothing personal.

As far as 'cak, many of us miss him, but he got burned out. I did, too, but I'm back and the owner of TT wants certain standards enforced. Simple Golden Rule stuff. It's not hard to understand. Nobody is trying to change the world, but the culture of this place had turned toxic and was close to being shut down forever.

New mods were recruited so there is almost always someone available to uphold those standards. But, we're fans and human, too. If anything, it's going back to standards Vinny set when he ran the offcial HT.com forum: let posters define themselves through their own words. That said, there are still guidelines. This will never be 4chan.

In the end, being a Texans fan should be entertaining. Check your emotions, apologize when you screw up, and respectfully agree to disagree when warranted.

DanielTx

Veteran
Why the hell do you care?

Those sports media outlets are total clown shows mainly filled with politics behind what they report and how they report things. If they have ignored the Texans for this long, then why are you begging for their acknowledgement and satisfaction now? I don't get why anyone would want guys like Steven A. Smith, Kellerman, or Shannon Sloppy to discuss their teams when they flip flop every other day and come up with wild narratives they think will sell all of the time to determine how they report. Its much better that they don't discuss the Texans and create fake news and fictitious narratives.
I agree. I hope mahomes beats Brady btw.

DanielTx

Veteran
Honestly I don’t see the pats losing back to back games but than again, I hate to say it. Brady is on the decline. If Andy & mahomes comes out hot and beats the pats. That team confidence will be stripped. The fact the best 3 young qbs in the afc beat Brady in the same season shows a sign it’s time to hang it up? I want Brady to play until he’s 50. The game will miss him

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Honestly I don’t see the pats losing back to back games but than again, I hate to say it. Brady is on the decline. If Andy & mahomes comes out hot and beats the pats. That team confidence will be stripped. The fact the best 3 young qbs in the afc beat Brady in the same season shows a sign it’s time to hang it up? I want Brady to play until he’s 50. The game will miss him
Pat's just win to damn much to bet against them ever imo. I've thought for years now father time would catch Brady. Maybe, MAYBE it finally is but I need to see an extended slump before i believe it. They still have the coaching and defense to compensate and be competitive with anyone.

Even if they lose against kc that doesn't say enough for me. I need to see ne blown the hell out in the playoffs and only then do I wonder if it's the end of a dynasty.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Apparently not as well as Tannehill..
but a hell lot better than Brady?

When Tannehill gets to 12 consecutive games lets see where he sits. Just a cute way to prove the blitz narrative wrong, or do you disagree with the entire listing? or with the data collection point? Here are his career splits vs the blitz by the way in case you would like to discuss any of the numbers: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatsDe00/splits/

Career Advanced Splits
PassingRushingReceiving
SplitValueCmpAttIncCmp%YdsTD1DIntRateSkYdsY/AAY/AAttYdsY/ATD1DTgtRecYdsY/RTD1DCtch%Y/Tgt
Blitzblitz1802597969.502224131204106.138-2488.68.9011918.3031166.011100.0%6.0

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
You watch way to much ESPN which gives this narrative literally every season. Brady has had a hell of a season, and he's easily a top 10 QB still.

People that somehow think that means someone is in major decline aren't watching games and are just listening to shock jocks on MSM sports.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

"hE dOeSnT kNoW hOw To ReAd a bLiTz"
I'd really like to understand more about how they get their grades. I mean if Watson is "sacked" for all intents & purposes, but works a miracle... does that count as a plus grade for reading a blitz? Or is that just being good against a blitz even though you read it wrong?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
You watch way to much ESPN which gives this narrative literally every season. Brady has had a hell of a season, and he's easily a top 10 QB still.

People that somehow think that means someone is in major decline aren't watching games and are just listening to shock jocks on MSM sports.
Brady in decline, his fans in denial.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I'd really like to understand more about how they get their grades. I mean if Watson is "sacked" for all intents & purposes, but works a miracle... does that count as a plus grade for reading a blitz? Or is that just being good against a blitz even though you read it wrong?
I would have to assume what you are describing would fall under a “scramble” metric. Great question. From the graph identifier it just appears to be when in the face of imminent pressure “with 5+ Pass rushers” what is his passer rating this year. Interestingly, it’s right in line with his career passer rating according to football reference vs their blitz scoring. PFF May have their own set of values, and for what it’s worth seems to be the most accepted outlet for data retrieval among the pro teams.

does this look like the statistics from a guy who struggles reading a blitz even when you take out those hero plays?