Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Vince Young – Back in the Saddle Again!

If I remember correctly, some were more upset with not getting DJ and taking TJ instead (at the time)
I wanted Johnson (Derrick), and was surprised that the Texans passed on him. Though, truth be told, he's had an underwhelming NFL career, thus far.

(Can't believe I posted in a VY thread).

Vince Young has just led the Titans to a third consecutive victory. This time the Titans smashed the Bills 41-17. Vince Young passing statistics were 17 of 25 for 210 yards, with one TD and one interception. He also had 29 yards rushing on five attempts.

Here is a link to the box score:

Young goes to 3-0 at helm as Titans stomp Bills

With Vince Young at the helm the Titans have now won three straight. This follows 6 consecutive losses to begin the season with Kerry Collins under center.

The Texans will be favored at home next Monday against the Titans, but they better not take this game for granted or the Texans could certainly lose. Call him a lucky charm, or whatever you like, but Vince Young is once again quarterbacking a football team that wins football games.

I will be rooting for the Texans over the Titans to be sure, and I expect the Texans to win. But regardless of what happens next Monday night, the legend of Vince Young is still very much a work in progress.

Pairing Chris Johnson and Vince Young in the same backfield is turning into a very potent combination.

:spit:

Pairing Chris Johnson and David Carr in the same backfield would turn into a very potent combination.

Remove Chris Johnson, and see how impotent they get.:ant:

Young extended a couple of drives with his legs, today. That's what he does best, and that's really the only way he can hurt the Texans.

That's something Richard Smith could never quite figure out.

Young extended a couple of drives with his legs, today. That's what he does best, and that's really the only way he can hurt the Texans.

That's something Richard Smith could never quite figure out.

exactly and that makes him dangerous.

VY is now the guy once again. Does Fisher get sick over staying with Kerry for as long as he did? Any chance he keeps his job with an 9-7 or an 8-8 finish? Those are the that pop into my mind. Where would they be if VY had gotten his chance before he did? They might have been in the spot they are right now or they might have been better and maybe even right in the thick of things. You never know, do you? Their job now is to finish the season strong and see if they want to resign Young long term and allow him to be the guy and get some other guys around him and then see how he does.

VY usually does very little to help the Tacks win. Today, he actually contributed quite a bit.

Next week (specifically Monday), he'll be back to the same old 150 yards with a couple turnovers.

It's sad that Austin can't get past the "just a college town" mindset. Along with Raleigh, NC they are the fastest growing metro in the country. Austin-Round Rock currently has over 1.7 million citizens. If they did a little business with Al Davis they might be able to have their own pro team but instead they just want to worship at the feet of Vince Young and Darrell Royal. How many people have to move there before they realize they have other options beyond UT sports?

It's sad that Austin can't get past the "just a college town" mindset. Along with Raleigh, NC they are the fastest growing metro in the country. Austin-Round Rock currently has over 1.7 million citizens. If they did a little business with Al Davis they might be able to have their own pro team but instead they just want to worship at the feet of Vince Young and Darrell Royal. How many people have to move there before they realize they have other options beyond UT sports?

All it takes is one visit to HornFans.com to see that this mindset will never be cured.

As a big time Texas fan, I find it embarrassing.

Johnson is 45% of the team's offense, yardage wise

Actually, having a balance offense is not a bad thing. However, since the Texans have never really had a solid, consistent running game, it might be easy to forget that.

That is something the Titans do well, and that the Dolphins do well. I digress, but it sure would be nice to have two RB's like Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. If the Texans had those two guys this team would be ready to make a playoff run for sure.

Actually, having a balance offense is not a bad thing. However, since the Texans have never really had a solid, consistent running game, it might be easy to forget that.

That's a stretch. Just because the run game is inconsistent this year, it doesn't mean that we've never had consistency in the run game.

Have you forgotten last season already?

Anyone who watched the game knows Vince played well. He also conducted himself better both on the field in his body language and in the press conference afterwards.

Kudos to him to not listen to all the haters. Most of these haters are the same guys who were stroking it to pictures of David Carr and making excuse after excuse for the guy. Marcus comes to mind.

If you can't see that Vince has helped the Titans turn things around, you are a moron. Period.

that's not balance. that's heavily unbalanced. one player shouldn't be half the offense.

also, Bud Adams apparently flipped off the Bills during the game. i'm sure you guys will have something to say about that. :)

VY's presence and the recent winning streak by Titans make for incredible drama at Reliant this Monday Night. I am very excited, and expect the Texans to rise to the occasion.

VY's presence and the recent winning streak by Titans make for incredible drama at Reliant this Monday Night. I am very excited, and expect the Texans to rise to the occasion.

Yep ... it will be electric in Reliant , I wouldn't want it any other way . If the Texans don't kick VY and the Titans butt , then their pretenders and we'll wait until next year . This game is one of those tone setters for the rest of the year where you could end up 6-1 if you win or 3-4 if you lose .

As far as VY goes , he's not an elite QB . He may be an upgrade on Collins but at the end of the day I would put eight in the box an dare him to beat me . Heck I wouldn't blitz I would focus on Johnson and see what VY can do down the field .

I got to give VY credit. The break helped him figure out how to play within himself. He's not losing games for them, and he's not trying to win games by himself. He's letting the strengths of the Titans carry the load and that's all you can ask for a game-managing QB.

I think it's going to be a really tough game on Monday, all things considered. The Titans on a three game winning streak with VY coming back to his hometown. If our defense can shut down the running game - a tall order, without a doubt - and force Young to pass more, then we have a good shot of winning it. But if CJ busts loose for some 60+ yard runs, watch out! The Texans season might hinge on this one game.

The Texans season might hinge on this one game.

I'm thinking the Texans can only lose one more game out of the last seven if they want to make the playoffs. It had better NOT be this one, because then we have to beat both Indy and NE, and I'm counting Indy or NE as our one allowable loss.

I'm thinking the Texans can only lose one more game out of the last seven if they want to make the playoffs. It had better NOT be this one, because then we have to beat both Indy and NE, and I'm counting Indy or NE as our one allowable loss.

That's my thinking, as well. 11-5 is the target, and since we've got two tremendously great teams left on our schedule (Colts / Patriots), we cannot lose the ones that we know we should win. Going 5-2 for the remainder of the season would probably put us in a wildcard tie that is anyone's guess right now about the tiebreaker.

That's my thinking, as well. 11-5 is the target, and since we've got two tremendously great teams left on our schedule (Colts / Patriots), we cannot lose the ones that we know we should win. Going 5-2 for the remainder of the season would probably put us in a wildcard tie that is anyone's guess right now about the tiebreaker.

The interesting thing to me is that the Texans usually (well recently at least) play very well against the Colts, and it's possible they can take that game here. If New England wins its division and has home field advantage in the playoffs sealed, they probably won't do much toward trying to win the last game, and quite possibly rest their starters. Both could work out well for the Texans.

If we lose to the Titans the season is over. This may be Kubiak's biggest game because if we keep winning every game going forward will be more like a playoff game than anything we've ever had.

The interesting thing to me is that the Texans usually (well recently at least) play very well against the Colts, and it's possible they can take that game here. If New England wins its division and has home field advantage in the playoffs sealed, they probably won't do much toward trying to win the last game, and quite possibly rest their starters. Both could work out well for the Texans.

I am hoping that is the way it plays out. The Texans proved that they have the talent to be competitive against the Colts, but they need to stop the self-inflicted wounds that lose games. And hopefully the Patriots are resting players during week 17!

If you lose this game and probably the Colts game your shots at the playoffs are pretty low. That would put you at 1-4 in division maybe 2-4 if you beat the Jags. SD is already 3-1 and still gets to play KC. Denver is 2-0 in division and still plays O-town and the Chefs 2x. Pit and Cinci are both playing well and have a game lead. I don't think 10 wins is enough this year unless you are something like 4-2 in division.

If we lose to the Titans the season is over. This may be Kubiak's biggest game because if we keep winning every game going forward will be more like a playoff game than anything we've ever had.

Close to it. I have never been a proponent of the important game theory. If we are thinking they end 10-6 to me it really doesn't matter when in the season the 6 come. But for some reason this game feels like a coming of age game. Totally irrational, but there it is. Maybe I am just annoyed at VY fans.

We can lose three more games and still have a winning season, but we won't make the playoffs with a 9-7 record unless there are a lot of other teams that go on a massive losing streak also. 10-6 might not get us into the playoffs. It's 11-5 or bust.

Radio-Motivation.jpg

Can we please not make this into a "trash-talking" thread? I think there is already a Titans trash-talking thread in progress in the rivalry forum.

Thanks.

I wish they would black this game out in Austin except for the 30 or so real Texan fans.There would be a riot!I am just trying to keep it weird Vince.

Can we please not make this into a "trash-talking" thread? I think there is already a Titans trash-talking thread in progress in the rivalry forum.

Thanks.

Normally I would agree however in this instance I have no problem watching a VY circle jerk thread crash and burn.

BA seriously only has one comeback to any argument

Not really I am just not a swinger and never have been. Am I happy he is not coughing up the ball 3 times a game and just handing it over to the other team? Sure. Do I think the Jags, 9ers or Bill have top level D's that show he is not just playing poor game planning? No.

Exactly what I was afraid of is happening right now. Young gets the start against 3 poor teams and is asked to do little. We had a chance to regroup after the bye our D has made some major adjustments and Finni and Fuller are both healthy again. The Hood pickup was huge and he should be starting over Harper even if he gets healthy again. We are blitzing more and scheming better for what ever reason. All of this leads to the bandwagon effect and Young is hooked to this team for another 5+ seasons always searching out that potential.

On top of that Johnson is playing lights out right now which is helping the pass game. The WR and TEs are actually making an effort to catch a ball instead of the half arse shiet that they were dropping on the field in the first 6 games.

Young is benefiting from teams not having a lot of film on him since his reemergence, a powerful run game and an evolving offense play calling that changes enough each week that teams are having a tough time adapting.

If you factor out screen passes to Johnson, Young is averaging less then 125 yards per game passing in his 3 game return. Two of Young's long passes were highlight real material (Gage climbing the ladder, Britt over the shoulder with the CB on him like a blanket).

I want the guy to be great but to me the jury is still out.

BTW on 12/20 he will look like an all pro against the Blue Elderly.

Everyone knows what happens to the Texans when it's on the line. MNF will be no different.

21-11, with 6th 4th quarter comebacks

None of you will talk about it, but as a Houstonian, I know how sick everyone of you is going to be after Vince wins again in Houston

I'm amazed at how legibly you're able to type with that crackpipe in your mouth. Your team has BARELY won three games against opponets who were watching Collins game film. Your LUCK is about to run out. When all is said and done the Titans are still going to be WATCHING the playoffs on tv baby...deal with it. You season hasn't turned around. Your team has been lucky.

I'm amazed at how legibly you're able to type with that crackpipe in your mouth. Your team has BARELY won three games against opponets who were watching Collins game film.

Yes winning with an average margin of 19+ points in the last 3 games is "barely" winning. Talk about crack pipes!

Your LUCK is about to run out. When all is said and done the Titans are still going to be WATCHING the playoffs on tv baby...deal with it. You season hasn't turned around. Your team has been lucky.

And you will be right next to us. This game makes or breaks your season. You lose to us your tie breaker scenario is horrid.

I'm amazed at how legibly you're able to type with that crackpipe in your mouth. Your team has BARELY won three games against opponets who were watching Collins game film. Your LUCK is about to run out. When all is said and done the Titans are still going to be WATCHING the playoffs on tv baby...deal with it. You season hasn't turned around. Your team has been lucky.

The Man upstairs has seen fit to allow the Tacks some crumbs with 3 "gimme's." Monday will be a "gimme back." Vince needs to be prepared to play more D than in any of his previous NFL games..............watching runbacks of all the interceptions he will be thowing.

The Man upstairs has seen fit to allow the Tacks some crumbs with 3 "gimme's." Monday will be a "gimme back." Vince needs to be prepared to play more D than in any of his previous NFL games..............watching runbacks of all the interceptions he will be thowing.

Hard to get any interceptions when the opposing QB is throwing check downs and 5 yard routes. The yardage (I believe 210) was mostly YAC.

This game makes or breaks your season.

See that is the difference right there. We at least still have something to play for. The tacks are done.

We already beat yall in Tennesee, and somehow you think a QB who throws 15 times a game is going to make a difference.

You can pick and choose whatever stats you wanna throw at us, but after all is said and done, we are still playing for the playoffs. You are playing for a draft pick.

Last edited:
Hard to get any interceptions when the opposing QB is throwing check downs and 5 yard routes. The yardage (I believe 210) was mostly YAC.

Right now the Titans are playing like the Texans would have if they had drafted Reggie Bush . The difference is CJ is better than RB and the Titans OL is better than the Texans of 2006 . Think of how teams stopped HWNSNBR and do the same thing .

See that is the difference right there. We at least still have something to play for. The tacks are done.

We already beat yall in Tennesee, and somehow you think a QB who throws 15 times a game is going to make a difference.

You can pick and choose whatever stats you wanna throw at us, but after all is said and done, we are still playing for the playoffs. You are playing for a draft pick.

We have a a few coaches who will either make or break there jobs on every game her on out. We have a ton of guys that will be FA next season and you are playing Johnson who rang up almost 280 yards on your "D" playing even better then he did the last time we met.

So lets honestly look at the playoff positions of all teams (6):
Indi and NE would have to completely fall apart to not win division. (-2)

Cinci and Pit are pretty solid and have weak schedules from here on out and one will most likely take one of the 2 Wild card spots. That only leave 1 WC spot left. (-3)

SD has a 2 game lead on you with its 3-1 in division. That means you have to sweep the rest of your division games [Colts, Jags, Tenn] and basically can only lose 1 game of the next 7.

Sure it is possible but is a reach.

We have a a few coaches who will either make or break there jobs on every game her on out. We have a ton of guys that will be FA next season and you are playing Johnson who rang up almost 280 yards on your "D" playing even better then he did the last time we met.

So lets honestly look at the playoff positions of all teams (6):
Indi and NE would have to completely fall apart to not win division. (-2)

Cinci and Pit are pretty solid and have weak schedules from here on out and one will most likely take one of the 2 Wild card spots. That only leave 1 WC spot left. (-3)

SD has a 2 game lead on you with its 3-1 in division. That means you have to sweep the rest of your division games [Colts, Jags, Tenn] and basically can only lose 1 game of the next 7.

Sure it is possible but is a reach.
San Diego is gonna win that division and the Broncos will go 8-8, if that. Johnson ran up all those yards on a defense without Pollard at the safety position. We've allowed a little over 60 yds a game rushing since then. We shut down Benson when he was the leading rusher and we'll shut down or at least limit Johnson too. Texans roll in this game.

San Diego is gonna win that division and the Broncos will go 8-8, if that. Johnson ran up all those yards on a defense without Pollard at the safety position. We've allowed a little over 60 yds a game rushing since then. We shut down Benson when he was the leading rusher and we'll shut down or at least limit Johnson too. Texans roll in this game.

Denver plays KC 2x and Oakland 1 time. Philly is playing on an empty tank. I highly doubt they go 2-5 with those machups.

Denver plays KC 2x and Oakland 1 time. Philly is playing on an empty tank. I highly doubt they go 2-5 with those machups.

If Simms is at QB they might not even get those 2 wins lol.

Seriously he looked bad. If they get Orton for all 7 games I think they could win 3-4 more games.

Back