Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Vince Wilfork to Houston - **signed**

Odds on a Vince Wilfork thread derailing to BBQ?

Pretty good I'd say. If invoking the BBQ Gods improves our chances of getting Wilfork to come here I say do it. Someone get Aaron Franklin on the phone and get some briskets sent to Wilfork's house STAT!

Real question is "Odds on a BBQ thread derailing to Vince Wilfork?"

That's pretty much a sure thing.

That's absolutely preposterous saying that this garbage BBQ buffet restaurant is top-25 BBQ restaurant in Texas, good god.

Anyway, back to Wilfork. This franchise has proven they are incapable of finding a decent DT in the draft so I'd happily overpay for an older one just so we actually have a freaking DT since Seth Payne.
The jury is still out on Nix. I'd love for him to get mentored for a year or two by Wilfork!!

Odds on a Vince Wilfork thread derailing to BBQ?
I'd say the odds would be good...:chef:

Ok, Duke, let's get a frame of reference here..

What do YOU consider good BBQ..

(eagerly waiting..)

In Houston? Gatlin's, Killen's and Corkscrew are what I'd consider good quality BBQ that I've actually eaten. Hell, Rudy's is a chain and they're way better than Larry's. I don't understand why you'd think that a crappy $10 all you can eat BBQ buffet is going to have good BBQ. You like crappy BBQ like you like crappy defensive coordinators obviously.

Nothing in Houston really holds a candle to Austin BBQ unfortunately.

In Houston? Gatlin's, Killen's and Corkscrew are what I'd consider good quality BBQ that I've actually eaten. Hell, Rudy's is a chain and they're way better than Larry's. I don't understand why you'd think that a crappy $10 all you can eat BBQ buffet is going to have good BBQ. You like crappy BBQ like you like crappy defensive coordinators obviously.

Nothing in Houston really holds a candle to Austin BBQ unfortunately

Yes, it is unfortunate. Unless you wait 2 hours and pay a lot for Killens

Lions didn't exercise their 5th year option on his rookie contract and now showed him the door... I wouldn't touch that, personally.

Too bad we drafted Watt instead of Fairley, ain't it? :bubbles:

Shoot, they're still in pre-trial. :truck:

After having a long history of injuries and weight problems, Fairley is now coming off of a combination MCL and PCL knee injury, despite having lost some weight (one of his many yoyo patterns since he got into the League).

Clearly, BBQ is a subjective thing, so I am not going to bash you for
your tastes.

HOWEVER, I live less than 1 mile from Killens BBQ

In _no way_ is standing in line for 30 minutes and paying $22 for
a very small portion of uninteresting beef ribs considered real BBQ.

I still have an original gift card to the first Rudy's in
Leon Springs (the supposed best one) that I've never used..
Once was enough for me..

So we will agree to disagree..

If you are going to drive to Pearland for BBQ, the go to Big Horn,
or Spring Creek if you want a chain.

I'm just glad you didn't say the "trendy" places like Goode Co.
(which hasn't been good in 20 years) or Central Texas BBQ.

Killen's chopped beef was the only thing I have ever tasted that
was capable of ruining a Pena's kolache!

Nothing in Houston really holds a candle to Austin BBQ unfortunately.

Clearly, BBQ is a subjective thing, so I am not going to bash you for
your tastes.

HOWEVER, I live less than 1 mile from Killens BBQ

In _no way_ is standing in line for 30 minutes and paying $22 for
a very small portion of uninteresting beef ribs considered real BBQ.

I still have an original gift card to the first Rudy's in
Leon Springs (the supposed best one) that I've never used..
Once was enough for me..

So we will agree to disagree..

If you are going to drive to Pearland for BBQ, the go to Big Horn,
or Spring Creek if you want a chain.

I'm just glad you didn't say the "trendy" places like Goode Co.
(which hasn't been good in 20 years) or Central Texas BBQ.

Killen's chopped beef was the only thing I have ever tasted that
was capable of ruining a Pena's kolache!

If you think standing in line for 20 min to get good BBQ is too long, you'll be VERY disappointed in Franklin's. 3 hrs is "normal". But it's pretty much considered the golden standard for Texas BBQ brisket. It's also a bit like a tailgating experience.

Not true..

many of the places near Austin have been on a downward trajectory
for a while.

The original Salt Lick in Driftwood was great for _years_. Now
they are all about the $$$ and the quality has suffered.

Coopers in LLano was _awful_ last time out (and rude to motorcyclists)

There are quite a few good places in the Houston area if you are willing
to drive.

Try Larry's yourself on the weekends before you take my or others
opinions. Their smoked stuff is never bad..

These are some other good places people don't know
about.. (in no particular order)

#1 T-bone Tom's in Kemah. Good sausage, decent ribs, good chopped
beef. -- sauce on the side. They have some of the best fried seafood
in TX too..

#2 Red River BBQ in Clear Lake/Dickinson area. Good grilled style pork
ribs, good chopped beef, quality sausage, good sauce.

#3 Luling City Market in Houston. Richmond/610 galleria area. Great
sausage in natural casing, good brisket when not overdone. Great
mustard based sauce -- limited sides.

I am not a fan of chains..

These are the most overrated

#1 Killens, killens, killens,
#2 Goode Co.
#3 Any Papa's BBQ

Yes, it is unfortunate. Unless you wait 2 hours and pay a lot for Killens

Anybody been to Ray's BBQ shack down on Old Spanish Trail next to the gas station? Supposed to be really good BBQ.

Bad news about Franklin's..

Salt Lick I can handle, because you can go at different times throughout
the day and not have to wait..

(same thing was true about the old County Line BBQ on FM2222)

As a native Houstonian and patriotic Texan, I cannot justify ever
having to wait 3 hours for ANY BBQ. (it just ain't right..)

I live close enough to Killen's that I hit the place before it became
(unjustifiably) popular. Very reminiscent of the Goode Co. experience.
WAY OVERPRICED for the portions and quality..

There are places in Pearland, Alvin, and surrounding areas that are just
as good as Killens, cheaper, and substantially less of a pain in the ass to
eat at..

My wife and I always get a good chuckle when we drive by by the
line of poor saps waiting at Killens

If you think standing in line for 20 min to get good BBQ is too long, you'll be VERY disappointed in Franklin's. 3 hrs is "normal". But it's pretty much considered the golden standard for Texas BBQ brisket. It's also a bit like a tailgating experience.

Apparently not unless he and I were there on the same day. It's the Steak Kountry Buffet of the BBQ world - little merit other than volume.

LOL. My ex brother-in-law is the manager there. When I was married he would let us eat there free. I would just walk in, tell the cashier I know Steve and she'd let me right through. That was kind of nice. It's junk but filling. A few items aren't bad but ya....I've been in the kitchen multiple times. Let's just say it's not Tony's back there. They have to buy crap and in bulk to make a profit. That goes for most buffets though. The size of some of those people and the amount of food they go through......:smiliepalm:

The wife and I went to Big Horn the weekend before last. It was ok, enough to satisfy my BBQ craving I had that day.

The wife got her normal stuffed potato, but with turkey. The turkey was the best meat compared to the sausage, brisket and pulled pork on my 3 meat plate.

Unfortunately, I had to go shopping afterwards

I like Ted Johnson's fathers place in Tomball. Then again, I'm not a BBQ freak, so I may be wrong. But it's called Rib Tickler. For a while Mr. Johnson sold it to some chinese people that had no idea how to cook BBQ but it's back in his hands again. Don't eat a lot of BBQ, but I do like them.

You must have been on the only bad day..

If you look under BBQ aficionado in the encyclopedia, you will
see my photo there.

I drive all over Texas and out of state for BBQ. There practically isn't
any place in the Houston area I haven't been to.

5 hour road trips to Salt Lick in Driftwood, and City Market in Luling, etc..

Larry's on sat/sun around 4:30p is definitely Top-25 in the state..
(and one of the best bangs-for-the-buck in H-town)

Their best items:
Chopped beef, Pork ribs, Pork Sausage, Beef ribs, Slaw. They have
other decent sides like fried shrimp, fried fish, etc..

I don't mess with the sides as much, because when I go there it is for
meat.
Uhm, the "Pitmaster" wouldn't happen to be a U/H grad by any chance - would he?

Best brisket is absolutely in Houston ... anywhere I cook it.

original.gif

Wait, what? 3 hours in line? For food? No way, man, I must be reading this wrong. Who's serving this, Elvis? Do folks drive straight there after breakfast to get in line for lunch?

Wait, what? 3 hours in line? For food? No way, man, I must be reading this wrong. Who's serving this, Elvis? Do folks drive straight there after breakfast to get in line for lunch?

Yes, they do.

franklinbbq4w.jpg

line.JPG

And no, Elvis doesn't serve. He waits in the car.

[IMGwidthsize=400]http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a578/infantrycak1/0_1-2_zpsbe71d11b.jpg[/IMG]

You know what I do at Franklin BBQ? I get there early as possible and go with a bunch of old friends that I don't get to keep in touch with as much as I'd like. We leave at "0-dark-thirty" and drive to Austin catching up and talking football, work, families, politics, hunting, cars, etc. the whole way there. Then we get in line at around 7AM and grab the cooler and the lawn chairs. If it's hot we break out the beer, if it's cold we get some coffee, and we just keep talking. We usually meet some great people in the line (like last time we met a couple from San Antonio and ended up sharing a table with them) and the time just flies by.

It's only waiting in line and a waste of time if you can't think of anything better to do while you're there.

Not sure when Franklins blew up in ATX, but that time frame is about right. It is definitely at least a couple of hours. Basically you get there around brunch time in order to eat there for lunch.

I prefer Franklins over Salt Licks personally, but Salt Licks is so much more accessible and available, even including the long drive with no lights and a metric ton of road kill along the way. Rudy's moist briskets is also delicious IMO and I love their cream corn.

If you google around you can read about it, but there are alternatives to Franklins that I believe are just as good, and have a much shorter line. I generally prefer to go to La BBQ, which if I get there around 11 am, is only a 30 mins wait or so.

You can also go to John Mueller's Meat Co, which was the original owner for Franklin's before it had that name. He has changed his recipe and has a heavier peppered bark on the brisket, but is also really good and worth checking out. That one has by far the shortest line of the 3.

As I understand it the line is because the owner only cooks so much each day, and once it is gone then he closes.

1800 pounds of BBQ a day. He says he literally can't get any more from his supplier. It's all grass fed organic beef and he won't use anything else. I think it makes a difference because that brisket literally flakes apart like a Tuna Steak. It's awesome. The only thing I've ever had there that didn't live up to my expectations (and surpass them) was the sausage. The last time I went they had changed the recipe and it was merely "good" and in fact nothing special at all. I was disappointed. I liked their original sausage a lot.

I think it's great that a Vince Wilfork thread completely devolved into a BBQ thread.

I'm not standing 3 hours for some BBQ. I rather use that time and bbq it myself.

If you google around you can read about it, but there are alternatives to Franklins that I believe are just as good, and have a much shorter line. I generally prefer to go to La BBQ, which if I get there around 11 am, is only a 30 mins wait or so.

You can also go to John Mueller's Meat Co, which was the original owner for Franklin's before it had that name. He has changed his recipe and has a heavier peppered bark on the brisket, but is also really good and worth checking out. That one has by far the shortest line of the 3.

I thought Mueller's closed down?

Doziers BBQ out in Fulshear is pretty damn good.

Weimar has the best sausage IMO.

Now I'm hungry.

As I understand it the line is because the owner only cooks so much each day, and once it is gone then he closes.

1800 pounds of BBQ a day. He says he literally can't get any more from his supplier. It's all grass fed organic beef and he won't use anything else. I think it makes a difference because that brisket literally flakes apart like a Tuna Steak. It's awesome.

LOL, yeah the line is that long because (a) Franklin's has been named best BBQ in the nation several times and (b) you can only serve so fast out of the facility.

Folks wouldn't be waiting 3 hours for 1800 lbs of crap.

LOL, yeah the line is that long because (a) Franklin's has been named best BBQ in the nation several times and (b) you can only serve so fast out of the facility.

Folks wouldn't be waiting 3 hours for 1800 lbs of crap.

A lot of BBQ joints operate that way. In fact, I'd say most of the best "true" BBQ joints operate that way.
It's the same on a smaller scale up in my neck of the woods at Corkscrew. They used to cook 600lbs daily and sell out, but they recently bought a huge Oyler Pit and I imagine they increased capacity with that unit. The BBQ is as good as ever.

I cannot wrap my head around how any "bbq aficionado" who has traveled the state of Texas far and wide in search of good bbq has never heard of Franklin's.

Sounds like someone who's born and raised in NY and says they've lived their whole lives and never met an asshole.

These things don't add up.

I thought Mueller's closed down?

I think Mueller's has closed down twice. Once it turned into Franklin's and once he got kicked out of La BBQ, but as far as I can tell his current one is still open. I haven't been there in a bit, but I haven't seen anything about a closing. I usually go to La BBQ

Ummm, yeah they do and they did last year too. Revis and Browner were brought in last year and now they're gone. Vereen gone. They have the exact same hole at NT and still want Wilfork, just cheaper than his contract was.

What separates them is not some vastly different talent level at 52 spots on the roster. It's in 1 (plus in people who never walk on the field).

I'm just being skeptical, man. Bad football mood this week due to circumstances.

I'd love it if we signed Wilfork and Clowney came back healthy. Having them and J.J. on the d-line would be awesome, especially when the set the single game team sack record breaking Andy Luck.

I'm just being skeptical, man. Bad football mood this week due to circumstances.

I feel exactly the same way.

I want to be optimistic but if the best answer to "how has our team improved?" ignores 5 starters gone and comes up with "we have better QB depth" it's hard.

You know what I do at Franklin BBQ? I get there early as possible and go with a bunch of old friends that I don't get to keep in touch with as much as I'd like. We leave at "0-dark-thirty" and drive to Austin catching up and talking football, work, families, politics, hunting, cars, etc. the whole way there. Then we get in line at around 7AM and grab the cooler and the lawn chairs. If it's hot we break out the beer, if it's cold we get some coffee, and we just keep talking. We usually meet some great people in the line (like last time we met a couple from San Antonio and ended up sharing a table with them) and the time just flies by.

It's only waiting in line and a waste of time if you can't think of anything better to do while you're there.

We do the same. We go in the fall when its cooler in the mornings...we usually arrive at 7:00am and play cards, drink beer, throw the frisbee, etc. Usually were at the front of the line and out of there by 11:30. Its a great time. The wait is kinda part of the experience I guess.

Sounds like someone who's born and raised in NY and says they've lived their whole lives and never met an asshole.

First time I went to NYC it involved 12 hours of walking every part of the city and I never me an asshole. Was very surprised being from Texas how cool everyone I met was. In subsequent visits I met a couple but that first trip changed the stereotype.

Back