Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

UPCOMING TEXANS FREE AGENTS

Id like to see Brevin Jordan take Beck's spot...with his size and his wheels he could flourish and use in double TE sets if needed. Especially if he works on his blocking this off season.
He's been in the league for 3 years. He is what he is at this point. But like I said there's value in his skillet, just not as a TE. If you're going to have an avg blocking TE like Schultz your second TE needs to be a good blocker like Saubert. Hopefully you can draft a TE like Theo Johnson who can block like Saubert and has speed to open up the field. You need this if you want the running game to improve.

No on Reader.

He's just not a system fit for what we do now. He's a NT or a 2 gapper and we just don't play like that.

Loved him when he was here though and it was really dumb when we let him walk.
That's not true. He's not 2 gaping in Cincy. Not to mention Meco doesn't let guys just rush upfield and abandon their run lane. My only concern is the injury and I think @CloakNNNdagger mentioned something about the severity of it.

That's not true. He's not 2 gaping in Cincy. Not to mention Meco doesn't let guys just rush upfield and abandon their run lane. My only concern is the injury and I think @CloakNNNdagger mentioned something about the severity of it.
Last Dec, Reader suffered a season-ending right torn quad tendon tear. In 2020, he suffered a season-ending left torn quad tendon tear, and made a very stronger than expected recovery.

Following such an injury, 40-50% of patients will likely experience a significant strength deficit. Stiffness is almost universal. Functional impairment is reflected in that 50% of patients will be unable to return to their prior level of activity or sports. Reader beat the odds once. It may be too much to expect a similar repeat ending.

3 years 15m with 9m guaranteed? He's 27 and in his prime, this is his best shot to make some real cash. Might need to go for 4 years to keep him against other bidders though.
I would do this deal if the 4th yr was an option yr.

I would do this deal if the 4th yr was an option yr.

I wouldn't be too comfortable with guaranteeing more than 10m for his contract. I think 5m per year average is pretty fair given his injury history. 2 years guaranteed, options for year 3/4 with a modest buyout of 1m or so. He's a LB that can play about 70% of defensive snaps when healthy, so he's a starter and deserves some money. I like him a lot, and I hope he really wants to be here to make a deal happen, Demeco has a lot to do with his career revival, so hopefully that plays a role in negotiations.

I wouldn't be too comfortable with guaranteeing more than 10m for his contract. I think 5m per year average is pretty fair given his injury history. 2 years guaranteed, options for year 3/4 with a modest buyout of 1m or so. He's a LB that can play about 70% of defensive snaps when healthy, so he's a starter and deserves some money. I like him a lot, and I hope he really wants to be here to make a deal happen, Demeco has a lot to do with his career revival, so hopefully that plays a role in negotiations.
Agreed.

The more guaranteed money the better the chance of him staying.

Loved him when he was here though and it was really dumb when we let him walk.
Especially considering whom O'Brien gave the big contracts to.

But Cincy got the last good years of DJ. He can no longer provide a push up the middle. Can no longer move laterally. A 2 gap DT on a defense that was gashed in the run game. Hard pass on anything more than a vet minimum. Rather draft a young DT and give him the snaps.

I have a feeling Jonathan Greenard is going to want a payday and you can't blame him.
With his league 10th best 12.5 sacks last season he deserves it and a recent contract for another guy with 5.5 netted $51.1 million.
I don't think Caserio and Ryans would like to sink that much capital into him.
They probably think they can bring along a rook and get similar results on a rookie deal, up to 5 years.
A shame, but that's business.

I have a feeling Jonathan Greenard is going to want a payday and you can't blame him.
With his league 10th best 12.5 sacks last season he deserves it and a recent contract for another guy with 5.5 netted $51.1 million.
I don't think Caserio and Ryans would like to sink that much capital into him.
They probably think they can bring along a rook and get similar results on a rookie deal, up to 5 years.
A shame, but that's business.
That's why I hope that Thomas falls to 1-23 and Caserio trades up to the top of the 2nd for Chop or Darius Robinson. If Chop doesn't fall, I would hope Dorlus falls to 2-59.

I mean everyone runs a "multiple defense" now a days it seems but cincy has to be one of the top example of running just about everything.

That said I guess what I'm saying is DJ Reader should be a 2 gap DT, or just a straight up nose in a 3-4 at this point.

I personally don't see him as a system fit here.

I mean everyone runs a "multiple defense" now a days it seems but cincy has to be one of the top example of running just about everything.

That said I guess what I'm saying is DJ Reader should be a 2 gap DT, or just a straight up nose in a 3-4 at this point.

I personally don't see him as a system fit here.
As good as DJ was when he was here and during his stint in cincy...he has had injuries that would be worrisome and will effect his play going forward. Id be a hard pass on Reader at this point w/ his injury concerns.

Back