Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

T'Vondre Sweat arrested for DWI suspicion.

It seems every year there is a high profile player slides big time.
One that always sticks in my mind is La'el Collins OT that slid all the way out of the first on a possible murder related charge to I think either the 6th or 7th round when the Cowboys gobbled him up.
That turned out swimmingly for them.
It sure did a quality starter for 5 years.

It seems every year there is a high profile player slides big time.
One that always sticks in my mind is La'el Collins OT that slid all the way out of the first on a possible murder related charge to I think either the 6th or 7th round when the Cowboys gobbled him up.
That turned out swimmingly for them.
La'el Collins went undrafted and was signed by the Cowboys as an UDFA after reports that Collins would not be charged in the murder. Just bad timing for Collins that this happened so close to the draft.

I would have a hard time not drafting Sweat in the 2nd rd. He's a disruptive player and moves well for a player his size. You can put weight clauses in his contract that the team can keep tabs on his weight. They can also train him to get down in his weight. We've seen guys come in heavy and drop to play at a lighter weight. I think he can be a player who can give you front flexibility also. At the end of the day, does he do what Ryans is looking for? Thing is we will talk about his short comings until he he's draft by the Ravens or a team you're trying to overcome.

I would have a hard time not drafting Sweat in the 2nd rd. He's a disruptive player and moves well for a player his size. You can put weight clauses in his contract that the team can keep tabs on his weight. They can also train him to get down in his weight. We've seen guys come in heavy and drop to play at a lighter weight. I think he can be a player who can give you front flexibility also. At the end of the day, does he do what Ryans is looking for? Thing is we will talk about his short comings until he he's draft by the Ravens or a team you're trying to overcome.

Just sharing as another data point:

A few key pieces:
On the radio they reported that when teams asked him about his weight he didn’t think it was an issue at all and kind of rejected the idea of needing to lose any weight. I think you can see that reflected in his answer here.

Initially he says he met with almost every team but when asked about the Texans specifically he notes they weren’t one of the teams he’d met with.
Could mean absolutely nothing though.

Just sharing more info.

Sweat doesn’t realize it yet, but my guess…..Ryans can knock 30 pounds off his arse in camp and during the season. NFL weight lifting program, should help him lean up a bit while gaining additional strength.

I just don't understand why posters want Sweat to lose weight, when he was the best IDL in college football playing at that weight. You couldn't run up the middle because of Sweat and Murphy. Plus he had really good stamina for a man his size.

I dunno how would Sweat compare to V. Wilfork ?
Sweat is a bigger man than even willfolk coming out. He's closer to Ted Washington in size. He a disruptive guy inside. Very few can block him with 1 even the high end guys. Now at 365, stamina is going to be an issue, that's common knowledge. That's why if he can get down and stay down at 345-350, I think he can be a beast inside. He has a great awareness when dbl teams or wham blocks are coming. I've also seen him play a 5 tech and forklift the rt into the QB.

Sweat is a bigger man than even willfolk coming out. He's closer to Ted Washington in size. He a disruptive guy inside. Very few can block him with 1 even the high end guys. Now at 365, stamina is going to be an issue, that's common knowledge. That's why if he can get down and stay down at 345-350, I think he can be a beast inside. He has a great awareness when dbl teams or wham blocks are coming. I've also seen him play a 5 tech and forklift the rt into the QB.
He seemed to play a lot of snaps at his current weight last year. As many as Murphy played. No I didn't look this up, it just seems this way

& that's a problem imo. Putting on that type of weight...that's not optimal for him to be effective on the pro level...it unnatural compared to where he started. Even with him getting down to 345, you're still talking about a kid putting on nearly 100 lbs since he came into UT......which i'm fairly positive most of that ain't muscle. You've seen LT's do that kinda stuff and be able to dominate on the college level & be ok on the pro level, but those big boys on the inside, most of them will already have the leverage advantage over him, but those guys are just as quick and strong as well..& where he'll be playing lends itself to him being double teamed. Not sure he'll be able to hold u physically.

Vince Wilfork was an athlete period. Ran faster than Sweat, was stronger (shot put champ in high school)..& we all remember big boy on hard knocks balling lol. i don't see Sweat on that level as an athlete.

So does Murphy need to improve his stamina?

I know this was tongue in cheek, but to answer honestly...Snap count only tells part of the story...

It's really about the energy exertion.

And I'm not saying this to say a mammoth DT with skills like Sweat isn't valuable, however if Murphy (IF) is going all out and chasing ball carriers down no matter where they are at on the field he's going to need more rest than say a guy who plays within a 6 yard radius and conserves energy.

It's just almost impossible that a big guy like Sweat is going to be able to go full bore, maximum effort and play a bunch of snaps.

The Swarm style defense that Demeco wants lends itself to maximum exertion with a healthy rotation vs a guy who can save some energy by not going all out.

I still like Sweat as a prospect overall and even here I think he'd be a valuable piece for us. I'm not sure where I'd place that value at though all things considered.

I see high bust potential with him. He could also boom…I acknowledge that but for me, he isn’t worth risking before round 4 at the earliest. If he’s around in round four, he’s worth the risk.

That said, it would not surprise me in the least if he is completely off the Texans board, and if so, I’m ok with that. He doesn’t fit the mold of a Ryans swarm mentality guy and he may not want him around to rub off on others or be a distraction with his obvious substance abuse issues, his lying,
Etc.

I watched the red river rivalry. I watch the college football playoff game against Washington. This guy made next to no impact in 2 of the biggest games of the year for him & his team & i think he's being wildly overrated on this forum imo. I don't see the quick twitch off the LOS...I don't see the bevy of pass rush moves and adequate use of leverage & i don't see his supposed strength. Dude Mostly just hand fights at the LOS with o-linemen & then gives up and on occasion can knock a pass down. He just looks lazy to me..which brings another question into the fold..kid was recruited as OLB/SDE..why the move over? Like what prompted that? He couldn't back away from the dinner table to get on the field as a OLB/SDE so he made the transition over to DT where his every growing girth could be put to good use....I know they play slightly different positions, but just compare him to Jalen Carter or Jordan Davis just a few years earlier. The quick twitch off the LOS was there. the strength, hustle and overall relentlessness was there with both those guys. Not so much with this kid & he has red flags all over the place.

Last edited:
I know this was tongue in cheek, but to answer honestly...Snap count only tells part of the story...

It's really about the energy exertion.

And I'm not saying this to say a mammoth DT with skills like Sweat isn't valuable, however if Murphy (IF) is going all out and chasing ball carriers down no matter where they are at on the field he's going to need more rest than say a guy who plays within a 6 yard radius and conserves energy.

It's just almost impossible that a big guy like Sweat is going to be able to go full bore, maximum effort and play a bunch of snaps.

The Swarm style defense that Demeco wants lends itself to maximum exertion with a healthy rotation vs a guy who can save some energy by not going all out.

I still like Sweat as a prospect overall and even here I think he'd be a valuable piece for us. I'm not sure where I'd place that value at though all things considered.
I think he just went to visit with the Chiefs and Broncos.

Jones/Sweat and add a CB/LB the Chiefs defense is going to be good again.

Last edited:
That was a different time, right? The league is pass happy now. Gotta be able to rush the passer or be a part-time player at DT.
But that's what he's been showing. He's shown some good moves, great strength, and surprising quickness for his size. Texas hasn't been using him as their nose in fact they often opted to put Byron Murphy as the one more inside. It's just that people prognosticate him to being a 1 tech. He hasn't put up tons of sack numbers but he's actually been quite disruptive as a pass rusher.

I dunno how would Sweat compare to V. Wilfork ?
Besides what I have already posted re. this question. Endurance has got to be a question with Sweat entering the NFL with his high and eratic weight history. Wilfork benched 36 reps. Dexter Lawrence who has also been mentioned benched 36 reps. The ultimate NFL test of muscular strength and endurance for the upper body is the bench press. Sweat was asked several times to reconsider his decision to not participate in the Combine bench press. He refused. Why?

I hope and believe that before it's all said and done, Sweat ends up being an albatros around the Titans' neck.

Titans sent contingent to Houston to meet with T’Vondre Sweat a week before draft
By Charean Williams
Published April 27, 2024 03:35 PM

The Titans wanted T’Vondre Sweat, but after the disaster-of-a-pick in Isaiah Wilson by the previous administration in 2020, they also had to be certain the Texas defensive tackle wasn’t a high-risk pick.

The Titans did their homework on Sweat, who was arrested for driving while intoxicated earlier this month. The team used a top-30 visit on him, visited with him shortly after that, and then sent a contingent to meet with Sweat and his family. General Manager Ran Carton, head coach Brian Callahan, assistant G.M. Anthony Robinson and defensive line coach Tracy Rocker flew to Houston a week before the draft.

“We really got to know him as a person and what the expectations would be for us if he was here,” Carthon said, via Terry McCormick of titaninsider.com. “We had some tough conversations while we were there, tough conversations not only with him but tough conversations with his family in the room with the understanding that it’s going to take all of us, just like it would be with any other player.”

A police affidavit indicates Sweat’s blood-alcohol concentration was 0.105 percent, more than 25 percent over the legal limit, after a two-car wreck in the early morning hours of April 7.

It did not hurt his draft stock, with the Titans taking Sweat in the second round (38th overall).

Carthon said Sweat “recognized his mistake and the part that he played in it.”
Sweat still faces possible NFL punishment under the Personal Conduct Policy.

“They believed in me, and I was ready to ride the road and go to Tennessee,” Sweat said. “I felt great about it when they came down to Houston to meet with me and my mom, and I knew they believed in me and they seen something in me that when they told me they were coming. I was excited just to let them know who I truly am and what I’m all about.”

Sweat, who had 45 tackles, eight tackles for loss and two sacks last season for the Longhorns while winning the Outland Trophy, is being counted on to replace Teair Tart in the middle of the Titans defensive line.

Boom or bust type…leaning bust. I’m on record saying I wouldn’t touch him until round 4. I’m glad he is the tits problem not ours.

The only thing that could have be better about this pick is if Tennessee had traded up for Sweat.
Just got this weight information from a scout:

"Sweat’s weight probably will always be an issue. Personnel people weighed him at 346 in spring 2022 and at 355 in spring 2023. In mid-January 2024, about 10 days after Texas lost in the national semifinals, he weighed 393 upon checking in at ESOS Sports Performance Training Center in Dallas.

Three weeks later, Sweat was the only player that refused to stand on the scale at the Senior Bowl. In early March he was 366 at the combine. His last verified weight was 367 at pro day on March 21 in Austin."

Anytime we play the Tits and Sweat is in the game I'd make his big ass run. Move the pocket with designed rollouts/boots. Run some stretch Zone, screens, off tackle stuff...

This guy isn't Albert Haynesworth. Sweat will get gassed and need a sub or become ineffective.
My guess is that the Titans will coach him to stay in his gap. Because he will be useless in pursuit.

Back