Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trent Williams LT Available

Can't wait to see steelb's slant on this.
Those substance abuse episodes will likely mean Texans will not touch the phone. At least back in Rick's day anyway.
Depends on how badly he'd like to come back home and if he can convince FO he wants it.
I also do not want to lose Clowney.
Clowney is history anyway. If not traded now, he's going to hold out until we have to get rid of him. Do it now, while he has maximum value.

It's worth a phone call. No more than a 2nd.

He's already under contract for the next 2 years ($11.2 & $12.75 cap hits if traded). If you trade for him you ride him out. Scharping can move to G & Howard play RT.

I would give him more guaranteed $$$$ over the next 2 yrs (Which is what he really wants)

Gotta give up atleast the DB trade or more. I would do two 2nd's to slow Howard's/Scharing's learning curve and give them a mentor they dont currently have, Unless you think Devlin can make Howard into a NFL OT in his rookie yr. (LOL)

Last edited:
I would give him more guaranteed $$$$ over the next 2 yrs (Which is what he really wants)

If you mean and make it a 5 year contract that's easy. Add 3 years to the current 2 and add a roster bonus so he gets his guaranteed money and it all hits the cap this year.

Gotta give up atleast the DB trade or more. I would do two 2nd's to slow Howard's/Scharing's learning curve and give them a mentor they dont currently have, Unless you think Devlin can make Howard into a NFL OT in hi rookie yr. (LOL)

No more than DB.

I agree 100% with this. The problem I have is some people on here are happy to blame him for the failures but not give any credit for any success. Offense scores points its the talent of Watson/Hopkins/Etc. or defense does good and its all RAC. I agree the buck stops with BoB for the crap but you have to give the devil his due as well.

To be fair, Bill O’Brien is the Case Keenum of head coaches lol. Sure, he’ll draw up a bright play or two and maybe even give you some “wow, that wasn’t bad at all” moments. Then he’ll give you the “he’s a terrible head coach” ones. All in all, he’s just like Marvin Lewis. He’s going to win most of the games he’s supposed to win and nothing more. I think he could be a good QB coach or maybe even a decent OC if he figures some things out somewhere. But he’s never going to elevate the talent of his players. Like a Sean McVay

In this situation the player is not available & may never be. Just because the player "demands" a trade doesn't mean he's available.

Oh I know that. I was referring to the Texans just steering clear of good football players because of their off the field past. I got a little off topic

Clowney is history anyway. If not traded now, he's going to hold out until we have to get rid of him. Do it now, while he has maximum value.
Been reflecting on that.
FO must have been thinking they would get a deal done but it hasn't happened so it is beginning to iffy.
If they gonna kick him to the curb, now's the time to do it - frees them up to bring his replacement in before preseason starts.

Been reflecting on that.
FO must have been thinking they would get a deal done but it hasn't happened so it is beginning to look iffy.
If they gonna kick him to the curb, now's the time to do it - frees them up to bring his replacement in before preseason starts.

Been reflecting on that.
FO must have been thinking they would get a deal done but it hasn't happened so it is beginning to iffy.
Mercilous???

I don’t get post like this what do you and JB want us to do just ignore news like this not discuss it I mean this is a message board that is what we do right?

That's not what many on here are doing. Discussing things like, will he actually be available, what would he do for our team and what would he cost us in a "what if" sense is fine but what many on here are doing is saying the Texans must do this and they are dumb if they don't even if in reality the Texans have no say in it. Then later on if we don't get him they will say the Texans screwed up again and let another slip away. Washington pretty much holds all the cards on this one, Texans only have a seat at the table if Washington is willing to pull out a chair and so far it doesn't seem they are.

It's worth a phone call. No more than a 2nd.

He's already under contract for the next 2 years ($11.2 & $12.75 cap hits if traded). If you trade for him you ride him out. Scharping can move to G & Howard play RT.
Over the last three regular seasons (2016-2018), Williams has graded out as the NFL’s third-best left tackle (89.1). He trails only David Bakhtiari and Joe Staley over that span, beating out notable players like Andrew Whitworth and divisional rival Tyron Smith.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-wise-to-come-to-terms-with-lt-trent-williams
OK no mas ! He's better than I realized, probably substantially better so that's on me.
But no doubt Williams is worth more than a second round pick, surely a first round pick to multiple teams, but not to us given the very substantial investment we just made in this years Draft for our new, bright, and shiny offensive tackles.

Over the last three regular seasons (2016-2018), Williams has graded out as the NFL’s third-best left tackle (89.1). He trails only David Bakhtiari and Joe Staley over that span, beating out notable players like Andrew Whitworth and divisional rival Tyron Smith.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-wise-to-come-to-terms-with-lt-trent-williams
OK no mas ! He's better than I realized, probably substantially better so that's on me.
But no doubt Williams is worth more than a second round pick, surely a first round pick to multiple teams, but not to us given the very substantial investment we just made in this years Draft for our new, bright, and shiny offensive tackles.

There's no way he is worth a first round pick. He's only completed two seasons in his career and been suspended 4 games each twice. When he's there he's good but the trouble is knowing if he will be there. To me I would only offer a third with maybe a later round or conditional pick to sweeten the pot, don't forget moving Williams would give the skins some big cap relief as well. Some times the best ability is availability and that can be in doubt with him. Worth checking into but not worth thinking of as the long term answer and paying the price as if he was.

To be fair, Bill O’Brien is the Case Keenum of head coaches lol. Sure, he’ll draw up a bright play or two and maybe even give you some “wow, that wasn’t bad at all” moments. Then he’ll give you the “he’s a terrible head coach” ones. All in all, he’s just like Marvin Lewis. He’s going to win most of the games he’s supposed to win and nothing more. I think he could be a good QB coach or maybe even a decent OC if he figures some things out somewhere. But he’s never going to elevate the talent of his players. Like a Sean McVay

So you think with all of the injuries to Miller/Coutee/WFV/Watson's punctured lung and the attrocious OL play, not to mention some of the worst CB play in the NFL, that BOB didn't elevate the teams play?

Been reflecting on that.

Another move that will put them closer to the salary cap championship.

There's no way he is worth a first round pick. He's only completed two seasons in his career and been suspended 4 games each twice. When he's there he's good but the trouble is knowing if he will be there. To me I would only offer a third with maybe a later round or conditional pick to sweeten the pot, don't forget moving Williams would give the skins some big cap relief as well. Some times the best ability is availability and that can be in doubt with him. Worth checking into but not worth thinking of as the long term answer and paying the price as if he was.

Dont you think it might be a good idea to have a pro bowl level LT to mentor/give the young OT's time to learn the speed of the NFL game? Even if he only plays 10-12 games a yr? How many seasons has he finished the season on the IR?

Dont worry Williams will never be on the Texans. He will cost $$$$ and is Not Texans Worthy.

This is just another lost opportunity to get the best players possible on the team. This is the only consistent thing about the Texans org.

Dont you think it might be a good idea to have a pro bowl level LT to mentor/give the young OT's time to learn the speed of the NFL game? Even if he only plays 10-12 games a yr? How many seasons has he finished the season on the IR?

Dont worry Williams will never be on the Texans. He will cost $$$$ and is Not Texans Worthy.

This is just another opportunity to get the best players possible o

Again it depends on what the price is, its not just about what his cap hit is its about what Washington wants for him as well. Its a moot point because this is not an opportunity to get the best possible because right now its not possible. Washington hasn't released him and really hasn't let on that they will. All you have is a player not showing up and then making some statements. This is what I was talking about before, the Texans getting flack for not making a move when they legally can't make a move.

So because they drafted 2 OT's, who are currently also playing some at OG, you wouldn't trade (Bring home) for the 3rd best LT in the NFL. That's crazy, but the Texans and you are on the same page. Why? Williams will cost $$$$ and draft capital compensation that's on par with the 3rd best LT in the NFL and the Texans dont make these types of moves. But somebody will.

So you think with all of the injuries to Miller/Coutee/WFV/Watson's punctured lung and the attrocious OL play, not to mention some of the worst CB play in the NFL, that BOB didn't elevate the teams play?

No O'Brien didn't elevate the atrocious ol play. It was atrocious as you say.

And we know it was so bad because he played the guys at the wrong positions until the middle of the season. After that it at least looked like it could provide minimal protection.

Again it depends on what the price is, its not just about what his cap hit is its about what Washington wants for him as well. Its a moot point because this is not an opportunity to get the best possible because right now its not possible. Washington hasn't released him and really hasn't let on that they will. All you have is a player not showing up and then making some statements. This is what I was talking about before, the Texans getting flack for not making a move when they legally can't make a move.

Understood, if he becomes available, how much is the 3rd best LT in the NFL worth in trade IYO? Or are you in the we drafted 2 guys we dont need Williams camp?

No O'Brien didn't elevate the atrocious ol play. It was atrocious as you say.

And we know it was so bad because he played the guys at the wrong positions until the middle of the season. After that it at least looked like it could provide minimal protection.

You cant elevate crap. why? because crap is crap.

He managed to make it worse...it gets Deshaun Watson hurt...then he gets credit for a mediocre offense because Watson was hurt

He didn't make it worse. Like I said crap is crap.

Watson got hurt because of the OL AND his style of play. Watson slowed his roll on taking chances running the ball after he punctured his lung. Where I thought BOB was an idiot was using Watson like a tailback in the last Jags game. Hopefully Watson watched alot of film and has learned what the Colts are doing with their blitz package.

He didn't make it worse. Like I said crap is crap.

Watson got hurt because of the OL AND his style of play. Watson slowed his roll on taking chances running the ball after he punctured his lung. Where I thought BOB was an idiot was using Watson like a tailback in the last Jags game. Hopefully Watson watched alot of film and has learned what the Colts are doing with their blitz package.

After Seantrel got hurt, he moved Davenport to rt and started Rankin at LT. It was a complete disaster.

I'm 100% sure he'll screw up where to start people again this year.

Williams probably isn't available now but for the right price he could be. I don't think he's untradeable, and he's very unhappy with his current situation with the medical staff. So, how much is he worth?

If Washington demands a 1st rounder, I'd pull the trigger on that.

After Seantrel got hurt, he moved Davenport to rt and started Rankin at LT. It was a complete disaster.

I'm 100% sure he'll screw up where to start people again this year.

I understand why he did what he did. He put a drafted all SEC LT at the position he was most comfortable in, since he missed TC they didn't really know what they had in Rankin. They knew Davenport sucked.

I'm not 100% sure but you're most likely right. How much culpability does Devlin have in this?

I understand why he did what he did. He put a drafted all SEC LT at the position he was most comfortable in, since he missed TC they didn't really know what they had in Rankin. They knew Davenport sucked.

I'm not 100% sure but you're most likely right. How much culpability does Devlin have in this?

Starting a 3rd round rookie who missed tc and had measurables more like a guard at LT isn't understandable to me.

If Devlin agreed with that move then he's dumb too. But he's probably just a yes man.

And I expect the same mistakes this year. I hope Watson survives

Everyone is getting their dander up and talking the usual crap about everything Texans but if you bother to look, no players or coaches expect him to leave. Seems like also a lot of the reports are in favor of his leaving quoting his injury history. I’m not for one stressing out over this guy. Just follow your plan, BG.

I personally don’t.

Lost to our former LB/DC against a Blaine gabbert led titans. Horrible ST blunder in that game too.
Lost to the giants. Enough said
Beat the Colts in OT because Reich went for broke at the end of the game
Almost lost to the bills. Thanks Nathan peterman
Almost lost to the Broncos had they not missed a FG
Almost lost to a colt mccoy led redskins
Shouldn’t have lost to the eagles.

We very well could’ve missed playoffs. I wasn’t confident about the playoff game at all because I didn’t think we deserved to be there. And we didn’t because we came out totally flat. They had control from the first whistle. I’m not saying he’s Jeff Fisher bad, but he’s not going to un tap the true potential of this team. He’s a great guy to establish culture and chemistry, like he had to do at Penn State after JoePa. But that’s about it

They were top 10 by various metrics. Your memory or feels are not really a reliable way to measure how the units performed.

By objective measures, the offense sucked and the defense was pretty good. It's been the same story since OBrien and Crennel got here.

Obfuscating that reality by bringing up that one game or saying a loss is a loss doesn't change that fact.
The defense could not make the stops when it mattered most. Fact not opinion.

Last edited:
Understood, if he becomes available, how much is the 3rd best LT in the NFL worth in trade IYO? Or are you in the we drafted 2 guys we dont need Williams camp?

Like I said before given everything involved I would offer a 3rd with maybe a later round pick in 2019 draft or conditional pick in the next draft. If its just a straight up trade to take him off their hands and free cap space for them I might go as high a 2nd.

Like I said before given everything involved I would offer a 3rd with maybe a later round pick in 2019 draft or conditional pick in the next draft. If its just a straight up trade to take him off their hands and free cap space for them I might go as high a 2nd.

I personally don’t.

Lost to our former LB/DC against a Blaine gabbert led titans. Horrible ST blunder in that game too.

We very well could’ve missed playoffs. I wasn’t confident about the playoff game at all because I didn’t think we deserved to be there. And we didn’t because we came out totally flat. They had control from the first whistle. I’m not saying he’s Jeff Fisher bad, but he’s not going to un tap the true potential of this team. He’s a great guy to establish culture and chemistry, like he had to do at Penn State after JoePa. But that’s about it

So of the seven examples you used 3 were actually wins and one of the loses we hung 30 points on them which should be enough to win any game if the defense does its job. Also I hate this "We didn't deserve to be there" BS. Yes we did, we might not have had a hope but we won when we needed to get there. When you talk about "not deserving to be there" you are putting down the efforts of everyone on the team not just the HC. Or are you one of those people that believes its better to not even make the playoffs than to not do well in them?

Couple of other points, if Reich and BoB had the situation reversed then people on here would be saying that BoB got out coached but because it was Reich it was just "he went for broke" no he was aggressive when he shouldn't have been. In other words he got out coached. Oh and the Broncos game that field goal would have set an all time NFL record for longest field goal. So no we didn't get lucky that it wasn't made if it had been they would have been the lucky ones.

For the 3rd best LT in the NFL?

You know Allen would hang up on you instead of laughing in your face.

I personally don’t.

He took an injury depleted, talent shy team to 11 wins.

I would say he got everything he possibly could get out of his team.

For the 3rd best LT in the NFL?

You know Allen would hang up on you instead of laughing in your face.

You asked what I would offer and I told you. I'm scared to know what you would offer considering you felt that we should have beaten the Raiders to make a middle of the pack OT the highest paid one in NFL history.

To me, if Howard turns out to be a good to great left tackle for the next 6-7 years, I'd say he was worth the 1st round pick. There's a better chance, based upon his time in the NFL, Trent Williams is that. Therefore, to me he's worth a first round pick. He's already leaps and bounds ahead of the presumed left tackle on this roster, Tytus Howard.

Sorry, this is a no brainer to me. If, and that's a big if, if the Redskins want to deal with Gaine, he should deal EVEN if it costs a future 1st rounder.

He took an injury depleted, talent shy team to 11 wins.

I would say he got everything he possibly could get out of his team.

I get your point and mavericks but I have to point at the schedule we had last year for that. Let’s see how he does this year against a good schedule. I’m not betting on him.

Back to the topic, if his boy Gaine can make 1 smart move to make us better this offseason and pick up Trent Williams, I think we’re going to be in great shape

You asked what I would offer and I told you. I'm scared to know what you would offer considering you felt that we should have beaten the Raiders to make a middle of the pack OT the highest paid one in NFL history.

I agree not over paying for Trent brown. Can’t find a reason for not giving up a day 2 pick for Trent. Don’t we still have a lot of money that we have to spend to meet the floor? I know that’s gotta be killing Gaine and the McNair’s lol

Two 2nd's or I might even give up next yrs 1st. You're not talking about some run of the mill LT here. You're talking about the 3rd best LT in the NFL. Bring him home.

LT Leon Gray (Gave up a 1st) was the best trade the Luv Ya Blue Oilers ever made. Minus the Earl trade. Those trades kind of went hand in hand.

Point is sometimes you have to take chances if you want to be a contender.

I get your point and mavericks but I have to point at the schedule we had last year for that. Let’s see how he does this year against a good schedule. I’m not betting on him.

Back to the topic, if his boy Gaine can make 1 smart move to make us better this offseason and pick up Trent Williams, I think we’re going to be in great shape

If they would trade for Williams they could beat anybody on next yrs schedule. The rest of the offense is loaded and they would have good young developmental depth that wouldn't be forced on to the field too early. Last yr they played a bunch of good defensive teams with poor offenses. Next yr is the opposite and the offense is going to have to hold up their end of the deal if the Texans are going to have a successful yr. Adding Williams and WFV/Watson/Hopkins/Miller staying healthy and I would put this offenses explosiveness up against anybody's provided BOB doesn't go into Foxboro turtle mode.

Again it may not have anything to do with Gaine, Washington still hasn't shown any sign they are letting him walk.

Two 2nd's or I might even give up next yrs 1st. You're not talking about some run of the mill LT here. You're talking about the 3rd best LT in the NFL. Bring him home.

LT Leon Gray (Gave up a 1st) was the best trade the Luv Ya Blue Oilers ever made. Minus the Earl trade. Those trades kind of went hand in hand.

Point is sometimes you have to take chances if you want to be a contender.

Third best LT that has only completed 2 seasons. There is no way in hell I'd give up next year's first, you don't lose your 1st for a guy that you are hoping to get "10-12 games a year" out of. I might go up to a second but anything added to that would be conditional. There are other needs and the OT draft is looking to be deep next year.

I agree not over paying for Trent brown. Can’t find a reason for not giving up a day 2 pick for Trent. Don’t we still have a lot of money that we have to spend to meet the floor? I know that’s gotta be killing Gaine and the McNair’s lol

I believe they have met the requirement for money they need to spend. The Colts might even still have more cap space than the Texans.

This is just another lost opportunity to get the best players possible on the team. This is the only consistent thing about the Texans org.

Here we go again with another wrong take concerning money. This have offered big time money to those left tackles you wanted. One wanted to keep his kid close to his doctors. While the other one took the largest contract ( highest paid at his position)

Please stop painting that false narrative

Last edited:
Back