Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Training Camp & Pre-Season...Game 1...Green Bay Packers!

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
He's our third WR. It's his job to be out there.
He doesn't play the same position as Hopkins.. He's a starter or starting receiver in the slot.. He's not just a "3rd string WR".

It was a dumbass decision by our coaching staff to expose him as long as they did in game 1 and put him in the high injury risk situations that they did tonight.

281Texan

Waterboy
Highlights for both teams on Youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmh2lTg8Dc8

Crockett wins this round. At he 2:37 picks up a good block from the other side of the pocket. At 2:50 he whiffs. At 3:02 he easily sheds a DT for the touchdown.

I think O'Brien made an emotional decision putting in Howard at LT. Kalil and Roderick Johnson weren't getting it done. If Cal (our interim GM I suppose) doesn't go after Trent Williams, Howard is the only capable lineman on the roster to hold down LT.

Sharping was solid. Not great, but good.
At this point I don’t see how you don’t make that phone call. Tytus looked good at guard. If you accidentally drafted a starting guard, so be it. The position needed to be upgraded anyways. You add Trent Williams to the fold and the OL goes from your biggest weakness to about 1 step away from a position of strength

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I think if Bob values his job and position he should get on the phone to Washington and start serious trade discussions to bring in Trent Williams.

He was decisive and paid up for Duke Johnson. This is far more important and pressing. Would offer a 1st and players. Probably have to add another pick too but his focus must be this season or he’s gone. Be damned next GM/Coach that's their problem (if unsuccesful). The ONLY WAY this team can be successful offensively, specifically, is adding a proven starting NFL LT (elite even better). Offensive Line: LT Trent Williams, LG Tytus Howard, C Zach Fulton, RG Max Scharping, RT Seantrel Henderson would be legit and something this franchise QB, teammates, ownership and fan base deserve.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
What a shame. Kid has so much potential but looks like he may be a hard luck job with lingering injuries.
Duke Johnson may have to be the slot guy.
Very durable and good hands.
Might have missed the sarcasm there my dude! TK you need them kitty cats man confuses people with all your serious takes!

on topic:

~has keke coutee returned his last kick? If it was up to me i'd say yeah. I'd prefer Deandre Carter back there, but where is Deandre Carter?
~Offensive line? Whooo buddy. Highs and lows, but looked good at times. Kalil is a dead man walking. if he doesnt get it together he's short for this team. Rooks looked like I would expect rooks to look honestly. Overall I only spotted a pair of flags on the line in total .. a holding on Howard and a false start with Henderson.
~Defense? Ouch. No pressures, no sacks, no tackles for loss. Thats how much Watt and Clowney mean to that front 7 and its concerning that nobody else is able to be disruptive.
~I was actually pleasantly surprised by Roby. I was watching him closely and while he did lose some battles, considering its the first game in the scheme it can get better. Im impressed with the speed.
~My biggest pet peeve was again the unimaginative play calling and just lackluster execution of plays in general. yes its the first game back. rust. all that. Im talking about those damn bubble screens, the same stagnant running game. im calm because again im being realistic in the 'first game back' conversation. Im hoping its just the vanilla 'dont show them your real plays' top secret green folder stuff being saved for the regular season. We shall see. These guys were even trying to run inside trap plays with that God awful line! I kid you not.
~Special teams didnt look that special to me. Penalties and poorly fielded ball led to points. Need to get this unit back to where it was last year, cant take a step back here.
~ Billy OBrien and his bad challenge streak continues! Im being facetious .. kind of.
~Disturbed to see Mancz and Coutee go down with injury, cant lie when I wondered why there were getting so much playing time. Hope its one of those things that doesnt linger all year.

~Wasnt expecting much and didnt get much, but the game for me at least was entertaining. FAirbairn looked good - killed that 49 yarder, would have been good from 55 easy.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Really frustrated by the start/sit decisions for preseason. Warring practiced this week but didn’t play in the game. Same with Davenport. Both of which I don’t mind if staff feels confident they know what they have and player’s roster spot is secure... not sure why they’d feel that way for a rookie in an open competition at TE and OT in competition for swing tackle job but to each their own...

BUT

We then have Coutee fielding returns and playing into the 2nd quarter? One of the most important players to the offense’s success this year and a player who’s role is most assuredly secure on this team.

It doesn’t make sense.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I think if Bob values his job and position he should get on the phone to Washington and start serious trade discussions to bring in Trent Williams.

He was decisive and paid up for Duke Johnson. This is far more important and pressing. Would offer a 1st and players. Probably have to add another pick too but his focus must be this season or he’s gone. Be damned next GM/Coach that’s becomes their problem. The ONLY WAY this team can be successful is to finish the OL. An offensive line of LT Trent Williams, LG Tytus Howard, C Zach Fulton, RG Max Scharping, RT Seantrel Henderson. That’s a legit NFL starting OL. However razor thin.
Tbh I would've rather kept that pick and used it in a trade for Williams. But I suppose if he can land William's anyways then great.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
~My biggest pet peeve was again the unimaginative play calling and just lackluster execution of plays in general. yes its the first game back. rust. all that. Im talking about those damn bubble screens, the same stagnant running game. im calm because again im being realistic in the 'first game back' conversation. Im hoping its just the vanilla 'dont show them your real plays' top secret green folder stuff being saved for the regular season. We shall see. These guys were even trying to run inside trap plays with that God awful line! I kid you not.
I hear ya, especially when despite naming an OC, guess who was still calling the plays, but it was a pre-season game with the emergency QB going the distance, and no starters at the skill positions. Not going to be a lot of flavor on offense.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I hear ya, especially when despite naming an OC, guess who was still calling the plays, but it was a pre-season game with the emergency QB going the distance, and no starters at the skill positions. Not going to be a lot of flavor on offense.
Facts.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Per the guys on 610 last night JW averages like maybe 10 snaps per practice at qb.

I cant be too tough on him considering he's pretty much the "oh ****" guy.

But that said, he needs to slide and stay healthy. You cant be the last resort and be lowering your shoulder taking on contact.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Per the guys on 610 last night JW averages like maybe 10 snaps per practice at qb.

I cant be too tough on him considering he's pretty much the "oh ****" guy.

But that said, he needs to slide and stay healthy. You cant be the last resort and be lowering your shoulder taking on contact.
I would hate to be a WR trying to make this team with Joe Webb taking off and running every other play. Mccarron getting hurt really screwed up their evaluations on guys trying to make the roster.

Also, why is Coutee fielding returns when we have all these young guys trying to win a roster spot that can prove their value with valuable ST reps? So aggravating.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Overall this was just a preseason game, and the 1st one at that. But it did nothing to change my negative view for this season.
I saw the Texans had a lot of camp bodies that should be in semi-pro at best... but overall the starters weren't terrible, those few that actually played

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I saw the Texans had a lot of camp bodies that should be in semi-pro at best... but overall the starters weren't terrible, those few that actually played
This is what im saying. Seems like we go thru this every year, but I mean what exactly were some in here hoping to see in the 1st preseason game....or any preseason game for that matter? No team really know what's type of team they have until around the 1st or 2nd game of the regular season.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I shall remain pessimistic until such time I become optimistic. Then I'll be optimistic until I become pessimistic again. And then probably have to wait until I'm optimistic again. This may sound complicated, but it's really very easy.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I shall remain pessimistic until such time I become optimistic. Then I'll be optimistic until I become pessimistic again. And then probably have to wait until I'm optimistic again. This may sound complicated, but it's really very easy.
Lol Bill O'Brien already has me in "rabble, rabble, rabble!" mode.

Dishman

Miss Ya Blue
So when is a good time for the the new OC to call the offense? Would this not have been an opportunity for BOB and Kelly to get on the same page for pacing and vision for the regular season? I hadn’t thought about this till I saw your pos, but it seems strange (however unsurprising) that BOB called plays last night. We really need better play calling, so it’s frustrating (however expected) that we got the status quo last night.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
So when is a good time for the the new OC to call the offense? Would this not have been an opportunity for BOB and Kelly to get on the same page for pacing and vision for the regular season? I hadn’t thought about this till I saw your pos, but it seems strange (however unsurprising) that BOB called plays last night. We really need better play calling, so it’s frustrating (however expected) that we got the status quo last night.
Agree to let the new OC call plays when it does not matter and see how ready he is, but I don't get the bitching on the play calling. Pre season is vanilla, you work a little of this and that. People critiquing play calling in the pre season when coaches just want to run plays that let them see how certain guys are doing is very different then trying to scheme and win. I would prefer a new coach too, but let's ***** about real stuff

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Remember Watson’s first starts compared to the offseason tailored offense starts? The more BOb tinkers with an offense, the worse it gets. The Orchestra is there, we lack the conductor.
Again... points to BO'b knowing what needs to be done. Demonstrating he can get the team to do it. But stubbornly refusing to actually do it, build a system taking advantage of what he has, minimizing the damage caused by what he doesn't have on a consistent basis.

A system if you will.

Mangler

Toro de España
Again... points to BO'b knowing what needs to be done. Demonstrating he can get the team to do it. But stubbornly refusing to actually do it, build a system taking advantage of what he has, minimizing the damage caused by what he doesn't have on a consistent basis.

A system if you will.
He does have a system. The game plan “per opponent” system. I can’t help but chuckle as I write this, lol.

281Texan

Waterboy
Agree to let the new OC call plays when it does not matter and see how ready he is, but I don't get the bitching on the play calling. Pre season is vanilla, you work a little of this and that. People critiquing play calling in the pre season when coaches just want to run plays that let them see how certain guys are doing is very different then trying to scheme and win. I would prefer a new coach too, but let's ***** about real stuff
People overhyping the preseason are the worst. I saw on the comment section of the Houston Texans Facebook post, people asking why Deshaun and the rest of the starters didn’t play, “because if they did, we would’ve won the game.” This is an organized practice. It means literally nothing. If the offense by some miracle does look different, don’t show it now. I literally have seen all the hot takes on social media by Matt Hammond and all of those other guys who shoot out 1000 hot takes a day, maybe hit one, then call themselves a genius. “Oh Andre Dillard had this one really good block against an undersized pass rusher on his 3rd team in as many years, just goes to show how bad Gaine messed up.” I mean, yeah, Dillard would’ve been amazing, but if you’re evidence to back up your claim is a couple plays in the 2nd half of the first preseason game, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

I thought Tytus played well for his first game in a relatively new position. I thought scharping did the same. They’re rookies, they have a lot to work on, and they’re raw, but we knew that. Daniel Jones had an outstanding first game for the giants, do I think it means anything? No. It’s a preseason game in a stadium with all of about 10,000 people against guys who will likely end up on Canadian Football League practice squads if they’re lucky. Dwayne Haskins had a bad start, do I think it’s time to call him a bust? No. Because the game means nothing.

Moral of the story, don’t jump the gun because the playcalling is vanilla or one of the young guys who we expect a lot from makes a bad play. The young guys will learn, the playbook will open up. We will still be extremely average, not because of talent, by any means whatsoever, but because of coaching. Hopefully that situation will likely fix itself after this season.

Side note - Get Trent Williams

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'd make a serious offer to the Redskins before the next Preseason game.

Redskins Get:
EDGE- Clowney
LT- Kalil
QB- McCarron

Texans Get:
LT- Williams
QB- Keenum
2020 RD3 Pick
Why are you throwing Kalil, McCarron/Keenum into it? OB done done that with Keenum and told him he would never be a starter in the NFL...

Clowney for Williams and a conditional 4th would be closer, but Washington nor Houston would ever go for your proposal

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Why are you throwing Kalil, McCarron/Keenum into it? OB done done that with Keenum and told him he would never be a starter in the NFL...

Clowney for Williams and a conditional 4th would be closer, but Washington nor Houston would ever go for your proposal
Let's price a Clowney for William trade ? I dunno not even sure which team offers up the boot which is of course the consideration one side provides to the other as additional consideration for receiving more value in a one-for-one player trade/exchange ?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
If both teams really wanted player A for player B both legit pro bowl proven talent. They match-up contracts with agents to make everyone happy, then swap teams. Clowney is younger, both play a coveted skill position (LT/pass rusher) and they want paid and long term security.

Texans defense would be hurt but probably not as much as offense would be improved.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Would never include Clowney in negotiations for Trent. Clowney is just entering his prime. He’s going to be a major problem in this league. The next GM will take care of him. When Watt’s gone, it’ll be on Clowney’s shoulders alone to generate a pass rush...until we spend another premium pick on one
Agreed. Texans are insane for not paying him. They better get a Khalil mack return if they trade him

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
NFLN will replay the Pack/Texans game at 4:00 CDT today.
Guess I'll have to watch it this time.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

I think Keenum is going to be the odd man out in Washington, unless the Redskins carry 3 QB's. McCarron is injured and just hasn't had the reps at this time. Webb shouldn't be taking snaps on any team. Keenum has a working knowledge of OB's offense and could be a QB2 in Houston just as easily as Washington.

I'm adding the extra players the Texans may not need in the event Williams and Keenum were to come to Houston in the hopes of gaining a RD3 in the next draft. I think it would be a solid pick since I'm not expecting much from the Redskins this season.

Dejaview

All Pro
Watching the game again. Not just Khalil slipping. Coutee’s and Jones’ TO’s occurred because they slipped. Jones slipped again on another run. Didn’t notice that the other night except for Coutee.

281Texan

Waterboy
Agreed. Texans are insane for not paying him. They better get a Khalil mack return if they trade him
I always thought there would come a point in this offseason where I said “wow. Ok that’s the move we were saving the cap for.” Maybe a couple big extensions, a trade, or a signing. I haven’t seen that yet, and at this point I doubt we will. So to your point, yeah it was a horrible decision to not pay the man. Whoever comes in next (hopefully from anywhere but New England) will have a tall task of making it right. Gaine didn’t leave the cupboard bare, but we’ll have a lot of cap and a decent amount of holes at premium positions that need to be filled.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think Keenum is going to be the odd man out in Washington, unless the Redskins carry 3 QB's. McCarron is injured and just hasn't had the reps at this time. Webb shouldn't be taking snaps on any team. Keenum has a working knowledge of OB's offense and could be a QB2 in Houston just as easily as Washington.

I'm adding the extra players the Texans may not need in the event Williams and Keenum were to come to Houston in the hopes of gaining a RD3 in the next draft. I think it would be a solid pick since I'm not expecting much from the Redskins this season.
Why do you think this? Is Alex Smith set to return? My money says Keenum will be the week one starter for Washington. I think Keenum >McCoy, imo and I'm not sure McCoy is all the way back from his broken leg.
With what I saw from Haskins in PS game 1, he needs to sit a while. I'd keep 3 QBs and Haskins inactive on game day. Of course, if he is cut, I wouldn't mind seeing him back in Houston until McCarron is 100%

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
HOUSTON TEXANS
The battle for the final wide receiver spots could be an intriguing one if tonight was any indication of how things have been developing in camp. Jester Weah had arguably the catch of the day of all the NFL, as he plucked a wayward throw from Joe Webb with one hand. Johnnie Dixon also put forth a strong effort with two catches for 28 yards.

Linebacker Dylan Cole turned in a nice opening quarter for the Texans’ defense, showing up especially strong in the run game where he had a number of stops to help keep the Packers’ running backs at bay

If the Texans were hoping for some improved performance out of their offensive line, they didn’t get it in this game. The starters and depth players all struggled, most notably in pass protection. There were some good blocks in the run game, but it was a good thing Deshaun Watson wasn’t playing tonight.

The Texans did a nice job slowing down the Packers’ wide zone attack early on but weren’t quite up to the task later in the game once the second- and third-stringers were out there. Defensive interior Javier Edwards was on the receiving end of several of McCray’s reach blocks, while linebacker Xavier Woodson-Luster‘s struggles were most notable at the second level

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-refocused-nfl-preseason-week-1-green-bay-packers-28-houston-texans-26