Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Training camp 2013

The TD pass to Kevin Walter last year was deep, hit him in stride and was an over the shoulder catch.

Are you saying you've seen Matt throw a lot of those?

I said "rarely" not the same as "never"

My point is, why would one throw during training camp "intrigue" you?

Anytime Schaub hits someone in stride intrigues me because every time he does it, he proves (to me) that he can do it. That he understands the concept & it becomes more evidence to support a statement he made a while back, that he consciously decides to under-throw a lot of balls.

Anytime Schaub hits someone in stride intrigues me because every time he does it, he proves (to me) that he can do it. That he understands the concept & it becomes more evidence to support a statement he made a while back, that he consciously decides to under-throw a lot of balls.

Maybe he tried to underthrow him but messed up and accidentally put too much on it and ended up hitting him in stride.

:kitten:

Understanding the in-stride concept and having the ability to do it consistently at will are two different things. I've always had a problem accepting his statement regarding "consciously deciding to under throw a lot of balls" as anything more than an excuse.......that would also explain an apparent hesitance and/or inability to throw a fade route pass in the EZ.

Understanding the in-stride concept and having the ability to do it consistently at will are two different things. I've always had a problem accepting his statement regarding "consciously deciding to under throw a lot of balls" as anything more than an excuse.......that would also explain an apparent hesitance and/or inability to throw a fade route pass in the EZ.

True.

Martin looks great and Tate ran well. Who said Matt does not have a strong arm? He showed it off today.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB12577--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Texans OLB Willie Jefferson on 1st game "It's going to be an eye-opener, out there in the red, white, and blue with that bull on my head ready to make plays"

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Herring talked highly of Tuggle and Jefferson when we talked to him. #Texans

Tuggle starting as OLB is warranted. He has slowly climbed the depth chart because of injuries. #Texans

Good chance you will see Sharpton and Mays starting at ILB.
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Kubiak said first team will go 10-12 plays. Tate will start. #texans

Kubiak said he expects Arian Foster to be back next week. But said that he expected him back last week too. So well see he said.

Justin Tuggle will start Friday at OLB. #texans

Kubiak said that Mercilus should be back middle of next week. But most likely wont play vs Miami. #texans

Some names thrown out by Kubiak about not playing, Montgomery, Andre Johnson including all players that don't take turf reps. #texans

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
Kubiak said WR Andre Johnson and other #Texans who haven't practiced on turf lately won't play Friday.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Kubiak: "Leslie (Frazier) has given Klint an opportunity. I'm so proud of him."

Kubiak on son Klint "it's pretty cool. I'm proud of him. He's worked real hard. I know it's something he wants to do, and Leslie (Frazie ...

Gary Kubiak's oldest son Klint is offensive quality control coach who helps with receivers at Minnesota.

Last edited:
Tuggle to start at OLB

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 8m
Toggle will start Friday at OLB. #texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 5m
Kubiak said he expects Arian Foster to be back next week. But said that he expected him back last week too. So well see he said. #texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 9m
Kubiak said that Mercilus should be back middle of next week. But most likely wont play vs Miami. #texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 11m
Some names thrown out by Kubiak about not playing, Montgomery, Andre Johnson including all players that don't take turf reps. #texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 13m
Starters will get 10 to 12 plays on Friday. Andre Johnson won't play. #Texans

Good news about them not playing. I'm not concerned with the vets really...Let them get 1 or 2 warm up games and let that be that...

I want to see the young guys...

How can we have missed this Tuggle guy with all the observations we've been getting out of TC? Or am I the only one who missed him?
Tuggle got some chances at OLB about a week ago when Mercilus went down and has been showing improvement. Reggie Herring has been talking up Tuggle & Jefferson -- everyone just seemed to focus on Willie.

The TD pass to Kevin Walter last year was deep, hit him in stride and was an over the shoulder catch.

The TD to AJ was also in stride, with a pass rusher in his grill, no less.

So was the second pass to Jennings in the Bears game.
Wait, Jennings played for the Bears, never mind. :choke:

Looking at Tuggles college stuff, he has some good burst coming off the edge. If both he and Willie make it hard to cut them, I don't know what the Texans are going to do.

It's going to be tough to cut guys that have shown great ability and keep guys who haven't shown anything.

Going to be interesting to watch.

Kubiak on HT.com
(on CB Brandon Harris’ status) “No, I don’t think Brandon will play. As a matter of fact, he probably won’t even make the trip. He’s just got a hip flexor and that’s something that can get well in a few days. I feel like if we throw him out there, we’re probably going to set him way back. I think we’ll take the smart route here and we’re going to leave a certain group of guys home and let them rehab.”

(on how OLB Sam Montgomery looked in practice and if he’ll play) “All he did was scout team stuff. He didn’t do anything that pertains to the game. It’s good to have him back. There’s no plan to play him right now. Hopefully, he’s back next week and playing against Miami.”

(on if he’s ready to see K Randy Bullock get some game action) “Yeah, I am. Randy’s been a little up and down in camp, but he did finish the other day very, very strong. I know one thing, our team believes in him. He works very hard, but he’s our guy, so going to get a lot of kicking in here in the next four weeks.”

Herring has recently been talking Tuggle up but... I didn't think Tuggle had performed THIS well. Kind of an eye-opener.

Kinda my point. Our eyes on the field are just repeating what the coaches are saying, not what they are seeing.

They are going to be smart with a player during pre season as to not set him back LOL. To bad they cant take that approach during the regular season.

Alotting only a couple of days rest for a hip flexor is like dumping a cup of water into an empty swimming pool and saying that it is full.

Justin Tuggle has a father by the name of Jessie Tuggle.

If you ever followed the Falcons or live in the Atlanta area, you've probably heard of him..

tuggle_bio.jpg

If he's anything like his father, we've found a quality player.

Him, Jefferson, Bouye, and Dennis Johnson..

If they all contribute this year you've found 4 quality contributors in undrafted free agency.

Not bad scouting team, not bad.

Hopkins playing well, Swearinger looking like a veteran out there, Chris Jones showing that he's got some pass rush skills, Quessenberry a future piece to our offensive line, Bonner a raw project with PLENTY of upside, Ryan Griffin playing great as our #3 TE, and it's possible that Montgomery could come around.

This is obviously pretty premature (since we haven't seen them yet), but this looks to be a pretty good draft/undrafted class.

Justin Tuggle interestingly enough played QB (considered a dual threat QB) since HS, but changed to LB 1 1/2 years prior to graduation. His reason for for switching is even more interesting. He was the back up QB to Colin Klein during a time that Klein was burning it up. So he switched to LB for greater opportunity to play.

Justin Tuggle has a father by the name of Jessie Tuggle.

If you ever followed the Falcons or live in the Atlanta area, you've probably heard of him..

tuggle_bio.jpg

If he's anything like his father, we've found a quality player.

Him, Jefferson, Bouye, and Dennis Johnson..

If they all contribute this year you've found 4 quality contributors in undrafted free agency.

Not bad scouting team, not bad.

Hopkins playing well, Swearinger looking like a veteran out there, Chris Jones showing that he's got some pass rush skills, Quessenberry a future piece to our offensive line, Bonner a raw project with PLENTY of upside, Ryan Griffin playing great as our #3 TE, and it's possible that Montgomery could come around.

This is obviously pretty premature (since we haven't seen them yet), but this looks to be a pretty good draft/undrafted class.

While all of this is fine and dandy,

None of this will matter if Schaub cant improve/stay healthy.

He is flying all over the place at the beginning of the video. Has some technique issues and probably needs to get bulkier but he has potential. As far as our LB position i'm curious if he could get more playing time as an ILB. We'll need to wait and see how he performs.

Looks like he's got a lot of experience rushing from a 2 point stance. I didn't see a lot of speed, or power, but he uses leverage well, he hustles, got an eye for the ball, & understands disrupting a play is sometimes as good as making the stop, or the tackle, or the sack.

He's got the build of a QB, or an in the box safety.

I wasn't too impressed with his pass rushing, or his abilty to set the edge against the run, but I did like his awareness of where the ball was & his ability to navigate through traffic. Looks more like an ILB to me, or more like an In the box safety unless he can put on some weight.

I wasn't too impressed with his pass rushing, or his abilty to set the edge against the run, but I did like his awareness of where the ball was & his ability to navigate through traffic. Looks more like an ILB to me, or more like an In the box safety unless he can put on some weight.

He looked pretty good off the edge to me. I have not seen an OLB already on the roster show the burst off the edge that he or Jefferson showed in college. That's really ideal for a weakside pass rusher.

Not a necessity, but it's a huge plus.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB16663--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB16664--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB16568--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB16658--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB16673--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB16723--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB16750--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]
--houstontexans.com

He looked pretty good off the edge to me. I have not seen an OLB already on the roster show the burst off the edge that he or Jefferson showed in college. That's really ideal for a weakside pass rusher.

Not a necessity, but it's a huge plus.

Did he ever get around anyone? Maybe I need to go look at it again. The only time I remember him turning the corner, he got pancaked.

Did he ever get around anyone? Maybe I need to go look at it again. The only time I remember him turning the corner, he got pancaked.

I don't know which film you watched...So my comments weren't really directly about what you saw vs. what I saw...

I know that's how it looked, but I wasn't saying "you saw it wrong"...

The film of him I watched was against OU...I found it on youtube...On that film he definitely had some plus plays...

Which film did you watch?

I don't know which film you watched...So my comments weren't really directly about what you saw vs. what I saw...

I know that's how it looked, but I wasn't saying "you saw it wrong"...

The film of him I watched was against OU...I found it on youtube...On that film he definitely had some plus plays...

Which film did you watch?

Are y'all talking about Jefferson or Tuggle?

What's going on with Trevardo Williams? Is he injured? Why isn't he being mentioned as much as Jefferson and Tuggle? Are they just outplaying him?

Justin Tuggle #47
6'3" 244 lbs.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/tuggle.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/AP-Texans-Workouts-Football.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2013-minicamp/8-justin-tuggle.jpg[/IMG]

Willie Jefferson #63
6'5"
250 lbs.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/10.JPG[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/23/00/45/4983108/5/628x471.jpg[/IMG]
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/22/17/45/4782434/5/rawImage.jpg[/IMG]

Back