Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The time for the team to quit on O’Brien is NOW!

banned1976

sleeper mode
It doesn’t take a mind reader to figure out what that “something different” is.

Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) Tweeted:
J.J. Watt: "We obviously have to do something different, we're 0-4, whatever we're doing isn't working. Something needs to change, something needs to be different ... but the only thing I know I can do is work harder, control what I can control, work harder, be better at my job." https://t.co/ljHCAV3U0z

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I was cleaning out the garage during the first quarter of the game. I've got an autographed pic of Kubes out there. I was looking at it thinking the same while I was cleaning.
What I miss, and it's the most fondly remembered years of my Texan fandom, was when Schaub was in form, Foster was running and catching, and AJ was still here. Yeah, there were problems, but it was the first and last time/Texan era I ever thought they might actually do something.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Sure, give him credit for all those ridiculous runs Cook made...that was all him..
Helll, he managed to make Cousins look halfway decent.
If that boy was a little more accurate with that throw to Thielen, it could get ugly right there.
Robey got away with one big time.

BOB didn't even let his receivers loose until the second half, something he should have done right out of the gate. The Texans get the advantage there and BOB simply diđn't know how to take advantage of it.

Mangler

Toro de España
Yeah b/c those running plays he was calling against 1 of the worst run defenses in the league where Cook was breaking 2-3 tackles in the backfield were offensive genius I tell you! :rolleyes:
Oh, bad Kubiak then! How dare he exploit our weakness like that?! Especially after his team didn’t even get to practice because of the Covid BS. Kubiak will never be as smart or as successful as our QB guru... :rolleyes:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Last edited:

gafftop

All Pro
Feel sorry for JJ, Watson, and the others but they do have the power to make a change. Hopkins did what he had to do to get out of this **** hole that is the Texans with butthead as the leader. Maybe it is time to talk to the McNairs as a group because that may be the only chance. Otherwise this franchise continues to be the laughing stock of the league and buttf$#% continues to dismantle this club. Do you realize he might have given away two 1.1 for an OT that he did not have signed up and therefore had to overpay to keep. You don't want your GM to have the nickname little tea kettle because he overheats.

Head coach screws the team for a year. GM can build or destroy a team for the future.
BUTTHEAD has destroyed this team in one year for the foreseeable future.

Remember the McNairs are and have been the problem but they are the only ones that can fix the problem now.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Feel sorry for JJ, Watson, and the others but they do have the power to make a change. Hopkins did what he had to do to get out of this **** hole that is the Texans with butthead as the leader. Maybe it is time to talk to the McNairs as a group because that may be the only chance. Otherwise this franchise continues to be the laughing stock of the league and buttf$#% continues to dismantle this club. Do you realize he might have given away two 1.1 for an OT that he did not have signed up and therefore had to overpay to keep. You don't want your GM to have the nickname little tea kettle because he overheats.

Head coach screws the team for a year. GM can build or destroy a team for the future.
BUTTHEAD has destroyed this team in one year for the foreseeable future.

Remember the McNairs are and have been the problem but they are the only ones that can fix the problem now.
Thinking about your post. How about two 1.1 for an OT you cannot run behind when you need one yard?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t ever respond to you, like ever. But today I’m feeling generous. I know why you don’t like Deshaun didn’t from day 1 with your little off the field comments. So I’m honestly not surprised as to why you don’t like him.
0-4

9 bad games in a row.

It's not personal.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Oh boy now dude going to bring up the man money every freakin time. Wow unbelievable. Some people really need a life verses counting another mans money.
Nobody's counting another man's $$$$. But there will be no championships because of that albatross of a contract. You cant add talent around DW4.

But I'm really not surprised at this post. He got paid, be happy for DW4. Just dont expect much and you wont be disappointed.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
You're correct

9 bad games in a row for the 160 million dollar man.
Sorry to throw rain on your parade but 9 games did not create what we saw today. It's a culmination of 6 years 4 games and yielding the same results. Funny thing, everyone on this board can predict OB's moves before he executes them for our confirmation. Many of us stated that Kelly was the fake OC for OB and by the Jags game he would take over wearing the OC hat once again.....he beat us to the punch by 1 game b/c the Vikings came to Houston 0-3. That's the only reason OB's balls swelled up big enough to officially take the OC reins a game early.

Players are sick of his shite and are effectively hanging his arse out to dry by quiting on him this season. This is the second time the team has watched his BS game of promoting someone to OC only to snake back in when the schedule suggested it was his time to step back in. Weak arse leader is what every player that puts on a Texans jersey sees.

So you can keep up your rants of 9 games and counting while ignoring what the rest of this board can see when the blinders and narrow vision are removed. 6 years 4 games and counting.....that's the only story.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

Nobody's counting another man's $$$$. But there will be no championships because of that albatross of a contract. You cant add talent around DW4.

But I'm really not surprised at this post. He got paid, be happy for DW4. Just dont expect much and you wont be disappointed.
Yet somehow KC figured it out for the short term. Mahomes money will be a factor at some point and it'll be interesting to see if they can keep a team built around him.....if they do, then Watson isn't the problem in Houston going forward. Take off your narrow-vision goggles and look at the big picture.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sorry to throw rain on your parade but 9 games did not create what we saw today. It's a culmination of 6 years 4 games and yielding the same results. Funny thing, everyone on this board can predict OB's moves before he executes them for our confirmation. Many of us stated that Kelly was the fake OC for OB and by the Jags game OB would take over wearing the OC hat once again.....he beat us to the punch by 1 game b/c the Vikings came to Houston 0-3. That's the only reason OB's balls swelled up big enough to take the officially take the OC reins a game early.

Players are sick of his shite and are effectively hanging his arse out to dry by quiting on him this season. This is the second time the team has watched his BS game of promoting someone to OC only to snake back in when the schedule suggested it was his time to step back in. Weak arse leader is what every player that puts on a Texans jersey sees.

So you can keep up your rants of 9 games and counting while ignoring what the rest of this board can see when the blinders and narrow vision are removed. 6 years 4 games and counting.....that's the only story.
True

Are you saying DW4 hasn't had 9 bad games in a row? Defenses have figured out what DW4 likes to do and not only has BOB not adjusted the offense. But DW4 hasn't improved at all.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yet somehow KC figured it out in short term. Mahomes money will be a factor at some point and it'll be interesting to see if they can keep a team built around him.....if they do, then Watson isn't the problem in Houston going forward. Take off your narrow-vision goggles and look at the big picture.
Yep, Mahomes put the team 1st

DW4 got paid. But hey, I dont blame DW4 for that at all. This is on the McNai's and BOB. They made their choice and it's going to be a long 4 yrs.

OptimisticTexan

0-4

6 Years 4 Games and counting.

It's nothing personal......it's just OB's personal shite-show. The players have given up on OB and the only way they can force the issue is to hand OB a really ugly losing season. I do believe the boys in Steel Blue are hail bent on delivering this to the worst HC/OC/GM in the NFL.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Yep, Mahomes put the team 1st

DW4 got paid. But hey, I dont blame DW4 for that at all. This is on the McNai's and BOB. They made their choice and it's going to be a long 4 yrs.
That isn’t all it was, though.

KC has drafted well through Mahomes’ rookie contract, setting them up for success for years down the line.

They managed to do it without creating cap hell, mortgaging future drafts, or picking for need.

If I was Mahomes I would be thinking if I work hard to structure this for the team then the few mill I leave on the table might bring me success, a HOF career, MVP votes.

If I was Deshaun Watson I’d be thinking anything I leave on the table gets spent on a running back that washed up 3 years ago and ILBs who can’t cover, while the real talent gets shipped out for negligable return.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That isn’t all it was, though.

KC has drafted well through Mahomes’ rookie contract, setting them up for success for years down the line.

They managed to do it without creating cap hell, mortgaging future drafts, or picking for need.

If I was Mahomes I would be thinking if I work hard to structure this for the team then the few mill I leave on the table might bring me success, a HOF career, MVP votes.

If I was Deshaun Watson I’d be thinking anything I leave on the table gets spent on a running back that washed up 3 years ago and ILBs who can’t cover, while the real talent gets shipped out for negligable return.
We dont know

Because DW4 didn't leave a dollar on the table.

That contract is a 4 yr albatross.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
0-4

6 Years 4 Games and counting.

It's nothing personal......it's just OB's personal shite-show. The players have given up on OB and the only way they can force the issue is to hand OB a really ugly losing season. I do believe the boys in Steel Blue are hail bent on delivering this to the worst HC/OC/GM in the NFL.
I dont disagree with you.

The house needs to be fully cleaned. Unfortunately with DW4's contract only BOB will be exiting stage left. It's going to be a long 4 yrs even with a new HC.

welsh texan

We dont know

Because DW4 didn't leave a dollar on the table.

That contract is a 4 yr albatross.
They need to bring someone in who believes they can turn things around for him.
I worry when I look at how Watson looks now compared to the dynamic player that came into the league.
Still a couple of really good throws per game but far too much running around holding the ball with no end product.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They need to bring someone in who believes they can turn things around for him.
I worry when I look at how Watson looks now compared to the dynamic player that came into the league.
Still a couple of really good throws per game but far too much running around holding the ball with no end product.
It's not going to happen with a new HC either.

DC's have figured DW4 out. I've been trying to tell you guys this and every excuse you can think of has been made for DW4's poor play. One thing that hasn't changed is his style of play after DC's figured him out.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I may be reading this wrong but the Texans can cut Watson at the end of 2022 with $10 million dead cap if they do it before his $17 million roster bonus tolls in 2023? Or is that roster bonus guaranteed?
I think that roster bonus is guaranteed.

But I'm not a contract guy.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I may be reading this wrong but the Texans can cut Watson at the end of 2022 with $10 million dead cap if they do it before his $17 million roster bonus tolls in 2023? Or is that roster bonus guaranteed?

That roster bonus has a guarantee date after which its guaranteed.

I don't know the exact guarantee date but assume its sometime in 2022.

Trading him before the trigger date they don't eat that , doing so after the trigger date they do.

welsh texan

That roster bonus has a guarantee date after which its guaranteed.

I don't know the exact guarantee date but assume its sometime in 2022.

Trading him before the trigger date they don't eat that , doing so after the trigger date they do.
So if we get a new HC in for next season, that HC can work with Watson for a year or 2 before deciding if he wants to cut bait and move on, or continue at $40m per with what he’s got.
This is the timeframe the Texans need to be working to. If you don’t believe Watson has the ability at this point it’s irrelevant right now because we are stuck with him until this date with a glimmer of hope that he finds his way in a better, easier to understand scheme.
The other glimmer of optimism with this timeframe is that it is also the point when our draft capitol is getting restocked. They’ll have a good idea in 2022 what players they need to make things better, 2023 draft will be an opportunity to go after a QB or strengthen the team around Watson.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
So if we get a new HC in for next season, that HC can work with Watson for a year or 2 before deciding if he wants to cut bait and move on, or continue at $40m per with what he’s got.
This is the timeframe the Texans need to be working to. If you don’t believe Watson has the ability at this point it’s irrelevant right now because we are stuck with him until this date with a glimmer of hope that he finds his way in a better, easier to understand scheme.
The other glimmer of optimism with this timeframe is that it is also the point when our draft capitol is getting restocked. They’ll have a good idea in 2022 what players they need to make things better, 2023 draft will be an opportunity to go after a QB or strengthen the team around Watson.

Yeah , pretty much the case - we're stuck with him until at least the end of the 2022 season although its possible they could trade him between June 1 and the start of the 2022 season and the cap hit is "Only $5.4m in 22 and $10.8m in 23".

There is literally no way to cut him prior to 2023 which means that $17m roster bonus is all but paid.

I think the ideal thing to happen is a new coach is brought in next season and they have the 2021 season to decide which way they want to go.
If they move on from him , best case is some QB hungry team think's he's not the problem and offers up something in trade post June 1 2022 - That's the only out prior to 23. The dead money is just too great.

Here's the Spotrac breakdown of the contract & dead money (Click on the red X for each season for a drop down).

I said before that I thought the extension was a bad idea tho that was mainly due to Covid and the cap but its becoming more apparent to me that it was a bad idea for other reasons too.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That wasn't the issue today.
The issues:

3rd & 2 at HOU 33
(13:57 - 1st) (No Huddle) D.Watson pass incomplete short middle to R.Cobb (J.Gladney).
The ball was right there. Cobb just had to hold on to that catch; I don't care how hard he got hit.

3rd & 6 at HOU 19
(10:08 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Watson sacked at HST 12 for -7 yards (D.Wonnum).
Non-working hot routes on the blitz.
The two underneath receivers running the shallow crossing routes got stuck with each other and ONE SINGLE defender around the mesh point.
That's the kind of genius play design trade-marked by BOB.
Easy way to kill a drive.

3rd & 8 at HOU 41
(3:00 - 1st) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short right to K.Stills (H.Hill).
The ball still goes through Stills' two hands; not a great throw, but for the high no. 2 receiver money he got paid, Stills has got to make that catch.

3rd & 9 at MIN 32
(8:56 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short right to B.Cooks (E.Kendricks).
Good deflection by the defender, but the third and long came about with a one-yard run by David Johnson.
Sure, Watson and Cobb weren't in sync on 2nd down on a blitz, resulting in a misfire, but BOB didn't do the players any favor with that first down run, another trade mark of his.

3rd & Goal at MIN 7
(5:40 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Watson pass incomplete short right.
Nobody can get open with the slightest chance to score.
On the other hand, you can see the Vikings' receivers come wide open at times due to the scheme.
BOB's archaic style is still "Go beat your man", but the only guy that can do that is now in the desert.

3rd & 4 at HOU 31
(15:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) D.Watson scrambles up the middle to HST 32 for 1 yard (Y.Ngakoue).
Another classic on BOB's menu "Go beat your man" disjointed route combos that left no receiver open.

Had a single one of these worked, it would have a totally different ball game.
But we're stuck with BOB's bad brand of BAD football.

Last edited: