Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Trading a player for a draft pick isn't buying draft picks.

Tell me if the Brown's signed Clwney and then traded him for a draft pick isn't that the definition of trading a player for a draft pick and essentially what RS did with the Brown's OS trade?
Because the Saints were trying to buy the cash to afford Clowney by trading draft picks. Texans did nothing like that...

Yes, the Saints inquired with the league about the possibility of a sign-and-trade that would have allowed them to get defensive end Jadeveon Clowney by purchasing via draft-pick compensation the extra cash and cap space needed to get the deal done.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Trading a player for a draft pick isn't buying draft picks.

Tell me if the Brown's signed Clwney and then traded him for a draft pick isn't that the definition of trading a player for a draft pick and essentially what RS did with the Brown's OS trade?
Paying a player's signing bonus in order to fit the player into another teams cap space and swapping a draft pick for his remaining rights actually is buying a draft pick. Everyone involved knew what they were trying to do and the league nixed it.

Rick Smith didn't sign and immediately trade Os knowing the salary cap parameters needed up front to facilitate a trade to the Browns for draft compensation. They'd already had him under a contract that he'd performed under.

But I already said all that ... like I already said.

And I'm not trying to convince you to agree, I couldn't care less honestly. Just thought I'd break it down in case you were genuinely curious/discussing.

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Paying a player's signing bonus in order to fit the player into another teams cap space and swapping a draft pick for his remaining rights actually is buying a draft pick. Everyone involved knew what they were trying to do and the league nixed it.

Rick Smith didn't sign and immediately trade Os knowing the salary cap parameters needed up front to facilitate a trade to the Browns for draft compensation. They'd already had him under a contract that he'd performed under.

But I already said all that ... like I already said.

And I'm not trying to convince you to agree, I couldn't care less honestly. Just thought I'd break it down in case you were genuinely curious/discussing.
So you have to wait a yr in God'ells world then everything is ok.

There's no rule that I know of and would love for you to point out this rule from the rule book since I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
So you have to wait a yr in God'ells world then everything is ok.

There's no rule that I know of and would love for you to point out this rule from the rule book since I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.
What does a year have to do with it? The difference is what I pointed out. I made it quite clear in fact.

The league's operations page says that teams can swap picks or players they hold the rights to. That's it. Id link the info but we all know you're not really into that kind of thing and I'd post the info but you've also stressed the importance to me before of looking things up for yourself.

The Saints even acquiesced to the fact of the matter. Because just generally speaking, no sh*t.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What does a year have to do with it? The difference is what I pointed out. I made it quite clear in fact.

The league's operations page says that teams can swap picks or players they hold the rights to. That's it. Id link the info but we all know you're not really into that kind of thing and I'd post the info but you've also stressed the importance to me before of looking things up for yourself.

The Saints even acquiesced to the fact of the matter. Because just generally speaking, no sh*t.
Wouldn't the Browns hold the rights to Clowney if they signed him so they could trade him to the Saints?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Several comments were Made here and outside TT that Osweiler was "sold" for a second round draft choice IIRC. That entire trade scenario was weird.
I commented, at some length, on the nixed Clowney deal relative to the Os deal in this thread following the post you quoted there. Believe I commented on it elsewhere in this thread previously as well. Just saying..

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Clowney again played entirely uncontrolled and ineffective in week 2. I doubt he has attained any incentive points in his new contract..........with his only stat being 2 tackles (hardly different from week 1).

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Vrabel's response when asked why he is allowing Clowney 81% of snaps.:

“We’re gonna just try to get the guys in there. I don’t know how many snaps are too much or too little. We all have a job to do,” Vrabel said. “Their job is to be ready to play every play. And if they don’t, then they’ll be ready to play whenever they get back. I don’t really know how to gauge that. If they’re healthy, then they’ll play. If they’re not asking for a break, we determine that each and every week how the rotation goes on who we have available.”
Does not seem like very sound reasoning. Seems like what is really happening is that Clowney, while seeking to make his incentives by packing as many snaps as possible, is likely to accomplish the opposite, while wearing down his body and increasing his risk for additional injuries.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Jadeveon Clowney was clearly offsides on Gardner Minshew interception at the end of the game
By Ryan Day@ryaneatscake Sep 21, 2020, 9:04am EDT

Watch the Titan's own Paul Kuharsky all-22 video confirming Clowney's gross lining up in the neutral zone, for which Clowney is so well known for. Had the refs not missed it, Clowney would have very possibly been single-handedly credited for a Titans loss.

PFF, are you paying attention? :thinking:
Jadeveon Clowney's personal foul penalty costs Titans a pick-six early in second half vs. Vikings
Nick Gray
Nashville Tennessean

Clowney continues to play like 1601414290812.png. Had the refs in addition called the blatant offsides, he would have cost the Titans the game.

badboy

Hall of Fame
At least Clowney was on the field when he was flagged and not on sidelines. I think JD needs to get as much money as he can before his body collapses like Tower of Babel. That's by meeting incentives and or getting another contract somewhere with as much GTD as he can.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Sad to see Joseph making plays on the outside for Ten while we have to watch Hargreaves chasing back towards his own goal line all the time.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Jadeveon Clowney is a nightmare for linemen, so why can't he sack anyone? An investigation.

This article and included videos demonstrate why Clowney artificially exposes himself to double-teams.................one of the main excuses used to explain why he doesn't have much better stats, especially sacks. It is pointed out what Clowney lacks that every elite pass rusher possesses.............bend. But one thing that this article overlooks is the major reason he has no bend......................his history of lower extremity injuries (mainly his surgically microfracture-treated knee) and multiple core surgeries (3). You can't have bend without these structures being strong and healthy.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NFL fines Jadeveon Clowney $35,000
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 4, 2020, 7:13 AM EDT

The NFL hit Titans defensive end Jadeveon Clowney hard for two hits in last week’s game.

Clowney was fined a total of $35,000 for separate incidents of unnecessary roughness, $15,000 for one and $20,000 for the other, according to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

One of Clowney’s hits was costly on the field as well, as an illegal blindside block on Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson nullified a Titans touchdown on an interception return.

Clowney still hasn’t recorded a sack this year, and that touchdown-negating penalty was his most notable play of the season.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Bruce Irvin wasn't holding back on Jadeveon Clowney, Titans
9H AGO

And we are all grabbing our popcorn during an extremely rare Tuesday night football game.
The Bills and Titans played their rescheduled game Tuesday following the Tennessee’s two-week hiatus due to positive COVID-19 tests in late Sept.

And that’s where Irvin started with his Tuesday night commentary – discussing the Titans current situation, so we're guessing that’s what he means when he's talking about cooties:

And then Irvin went at Tennessee defensive end Jadeveon Clowney -- letting the world know, or probably more specifically Seahawks fans know that Clowney currently has the same amount of sacks as him.

Irving’s commentary on Twitter or we should say jabs at Clowney, of course, make sense considering Irvin had a season-ending ACL injury that he suffered in Week 2, and now he wants to point out that Clownery hasn't done all that much this season (because remember there were plenty of 12s who wanted Clowney back so bad) and really he’s been anything but mediocre this season, essentially.

1602683880196.png
https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seahawks/nfl-power-rankings-titans-jump-bills-top-5-after-impressive-week-5-win
You follow that?

But hey, Irvin warned everyone in an earlier tweet that he wasn’t holding anything back Tuesday night.

And he didn’t.

On the season, Clowney has 5 solo tackles (7 total) in four games this season and 2 TFL with no sacks on a $12 million+ contract.

And Irvin let the NFL world know just that, basically.

Now the question is: Will Clowney respond on Twitter or on the field? Titans fans are definitely hoping for the latter.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
In the game against Houston yesterday, playiing 75% of snaps, Clowney managed only 2 tackles.........1 solo, 1 assist.......with 1 of them a TFL of 1 yd..............and still no sacks.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I definitely agree. Your post though makes it sound as though those were my words instead of a quote from an NBC Sports article quote.
Just for future reference.. utilizing the quote function is a legit way of separating the article from any subsequent opinion and thus deciphering who said what.

I didn't try and say or insinuate who said anything, just responded matter of factly to the comment at hand.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Just for future reference.. utilizing the quote function is a legit way of separating the article from any subsequent opinion and thus deciphering who said what.

I didn't try and say or insinuate who said anything, just responded matter of factly to the comment at hand.
I took it no other way. Just brought it up if anyone else wanted to assign that statement to me.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Clowney has undergone meniscus trim for meniscus tear, and articular cartilage cleanup arthroscopic surgery of his left knee......the same knee he underwent the same type of surgery in 2017. He is nearing the need for microfracture of this knee. His right knee, the knee having undergone microfracture surgery in 2014, has already intermittently been swelling with aspiration performed this season.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Bengals OL now consisted entirely of backups to the backups (and their RB corps out or beaten up). Clowney had straight unobstructed line to Joe Burrow and couldn't sack him. He managed only 1 tackle for the entire game.............a tackle that came in garbage time the last 3 minutes of the game...........4 yds past the LOS.

Last edited: