Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Clowney as of today [DNP] has appeared on the every Titans Injury Report since week 2 for a knee injury. In fact, he is having significant problems with both his right microfracture knee as well as his previously scoped left knee.

Congrats!!! OB wins one!!! I mean it was still a bad return and paid half his salary and we’re still looking for his replacement, but whoop-ee, he got it right about Clowney!!

/endthread

Don’t forget we’re paying Merci about what Clowney is getting and getting LESS production lol.

Never understood rooting against the dude when was on your team much less years and 2 teams later.

Congrats!!! OB wins one!!! I mean it was still a bad return and paid half his salary and we’re still looking for his replacement, but whoop-ee, he got it right about Clowney!!

/endthread
What does Clowney's continued questionable performances have to do with OB being right.

How many sacks Clowney got again? I'm sure if Mercilus was 1.1 we'd be counting his almost sacks & fantom double teams as well.

At what point in his career has he been known as a sack artist?

Too many are taking to revisionary history. Before doing so, one might want to go back and read all of the Clowney commentaries/profiles going into the 2014 Draft............all promoted him as a potential NFL elite pass rusher. The Texans drafted Clowney at 1.1 strictly to be a counterpart elite pass rusher bookend to Watt. Clowney has always seen himself deserving of a contract as an elite pass rusher. Injuries have taken his future in a much different direction. Too many, including Clowney, have not come to terms with this.

And what happened after he was drafted? A career ending knee injury. Wouldn’t last long in the league. What was your assessment of the injury and surgeries again?

No one is arguing he hasn’t lived up to 1.1; but that’s not even your argument. He’s playing on half a knee but nope, that doesn’t line up w the online “medical expert” so clearly Clowney sucked, always sucked, and is a terrible pass rusher. You right boss. You right.

And what happened after he was drafted? A career ending knee injury. Wouldn’t last long in the league. What was your assessment of the injury and surgeries again?

No one is arguing he hasn’t lived up to 1.1; but that’s not even your argument. He’s playing on half a knee but nope, that doesn’t line up w the online “medical expert” so clearly Clowney sucked, always sucked, and is a terrible pass rusher. You right boss. You right.
Maybe I should defer to your expertise. As far as his microfracture knee, if you bother having read my commentaries, most similar injuries, documented in studies, have begun a downward spiral of degeneration after 5 years. Now his other knee is on the borderline of consideration for microfracture surgery. Much of his inability to reach his peak is due to injuries............all starting with unaddressed bone spurs of his foot............to meniscus tears, knee ligament tear, microfracture surgery, 3 "sports hernias." But some is definitely due to not putting in the time and effort to diversify his skill set. This isn't about being right, it's about seeing things the way they are.

With that said, I see no advantage to either of us in pursuing this conversation. So, thank you, I will kindly bow out.

Last edited:
Not sure I've ever seen someone obsess over one player so much..

I appreciate the fact that the Texans org got atleast 1 call right. The fact that CnD told us this was going to be Clowneys career trajectory should make some take notice. But we both know that won't happen.

Don’t forget we’re paying Merci about what Clowney is getting and getting LESS production lol.

Never understood rooting against the dude when was on your team much less years and 2 teams later.

Not rooting against him.

CnD was just pointing out that his predicted career path turned out to be what CnD told us it would be. Nothing wrong with that.

Did he live up to his draft status?

Is this because he got hurt because of the NRG turf and it made him an above avg player but not the generational player he was drafted to be?

Sorry it hurts your feelings that CnD told you what his career would be and the Texans org didn't think he was worth 17-20 mil per yr on a long term basis.

Did he live up to his draft status?

Is this because he got hurt because of the NRG turf and it made him an above avg player but not the generational player he was drafted to be?

Sorry it hurts your feelings that CnD told you what his career would be and the Texans org didn't think he was worth 17-20 mil per yr on a long term basis.

I never needed his re- signing as the primary disdain for his selection. I was not happy when they made him the first pick in draft b/c they were drafting him as an OLB versus the DE he was. If they identified OLB as a bigger need than DE....then they should’ve drafted OLB- Khalil Mack who was available rather than the player hyped up by the media or played for McNair’s alma mater.

Another blunder just like the Mercilus pick. Took 3 seasons to teach him how to be a mediocre to below average OLB. Then the dumbarses did it again.

Clowney has not been able to practice all week due to his knees. He was listed as QUESTIONABLE for today. Information I am receiving is that he is not going to be able to play. He has been dealing with significant meniscus tear of his left knee now and surgery is no long a matter of if, but of when........and whether he chooses to go the route of meniscus trim or repair. His previous 2017 left knee surgery has already removed some meniscus and articular cartilage on that side. If he chooses additional trim as he did with his original right knee injury, it will likely hasten his journey to another microfracture situation. Even with repair, his risk to progress to microfracture is significant, but maybe more delayed.

man clowney pre injury in houston i wonder what would have been when did he get hurt agian ..???? in his rookie season was it in pre season or regular ..???

man clowney pre injury in houston i wonder what would have been when did he get hurt agian ..???? in his rookie season was it in pre season or regular ..???
I think it was his sophomore season at NCState.

Rick and McNair wanted him and got him. He wasn't even the top pass rusher/DE/Edge guy in the draft. That honor belongs to a Mr. K. Mack. The guy is nothing but a fast guy. Okay, he was decent against the run...but when JJ Watt is on the other side. Of course your going to have people coming your way to escape JJ. However, that didn't stop JJ at times.

Waste of the top pick in the draft. Glad he is gone, he is a locker room cancer and only chancing a payday. Not to mention injury prone. He missed a game with a hang nail if I remember correctly! You know what real DL would call him right? You know Sapp, Watt, Long, White, J Brown, Donald, B. Smith (or was he a LB) and the other greats call him... Lol 5 letter word that has a "P" to start and a "Y" to end.

Clowney has not been able to practice all week due to his knees. He was listed as QUESTIONABLE for today. Information I am receiving is that he is not going to be able to play. He has been dealing with significant meniscus tear of his left knee now and surgery is no long a matter of if, but of when........and whether he chooses to go the route of meniscus trim or repair. His previous 2017 left knee surgery has already removed some meniscus and articular cartilage on that side. If he chooses additional trim as he did with his original right knee injury, it will likely hasten his journey to another microfracture situation. Even with repair, his risk to progress to microfracture is significant, but maybe more delayed.

They said that the microfracture is going to shorten his career a great deal. It was 3/4ths why we would not give him the money he was wanting. Rumor is he was offered a 1yr deal to prove that he was 100% and able to get in a full season and not be hurt and he turned it down.

I blasted BoB for the trade at the time but he got it right. Glad he didn’t pay Clowney top dollar and got something in return. I know he paid half his salary but I guess it’s better than being stuck with a huge contract and mediocre player.
Clowney for whatever reason, injury or desire is not playing as an elite DE.

Jadeveon Clowney out for season
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 6, 2020, 6:19 AM EST

Just before the start of the season, multiple teams were trying to acquire defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, and when the Titans signed him, it was viewed as a very big move. It hasn’t worked out that way.

Clowney has had a disappointing season and is now done for the year after knee surgery, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.
According to the report, Clowney underwent surgery to repair his left meniscus, and he’ll be rehabbing for a few months. Clowney becomes a free agent again in March, and he’ll reportedly be fully recovered by then. Clowney has previously had microfracture surgery on his right knee.

Clowney’s 2020 season ends with zero sacks. He’ll be a much less sought-after free agent in 2021.

********************************************************************************************************

Some added details not mentioned above..............Clowney underwent meniscus repair on his left knee (not his previously microfractured right knee) on Wednesday. As typical, significant articular cartilage damage was encountered. Yes, he will "be fully recovered" in March when he becomes a free agent. However, even with repair (as opposed to an excision [trim] of the meniscus, there is a significant failure rate..........~25% with attempted lateral meniscus repair, and ~45% with attempted medial meniscus repair. Even with success after playing on it for so long, the thinning of the meniscus and already present articular damage leaves him more compromised than before. His reasonable prognosis is that he is next looking for microfracture to avoid knee replacement. His microfractured right knee has continued to give him increasing problems and has been treated throughout the season. Right knee replacement is definitely in his future.

When the Titans placed pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney on injured reserve on Nov. 21, the initial thought was that he would be back late in the season to potentially add a playoff boost.
Instead, sources say that Clowney's 2020 is over.
This past Wednesday, Clowney quietly underwent surgery to repair his left meniscus, a procedure that requires months of rehab and knocks him out for the remainder of the season, sources say.
Clowney should be fully healthy by March for free agency after the procedure, which was done by Dr. Walt Lowe, the Texans team physician and chief of orthopedic surgery at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center.
Clowney will remain in his hometown of Houston while he rehabs.
This surgery was done on Clowney's left knee, while previously he underwent successful microfracture surgery on his right knee. This one is also said to be straight-forward with no additional issues.
I dunno anybody surprised that the Texans Dr. Lowe did Clowneys surgery ? And he's also gonna rehab in Houston, his "hometown".
McClain on his 610 AM Friday 4-5PM gig the other day suggested that the new Texans HC & GM (whoever they may be), should consider approaching Clowney about a deal for 2021.
I say why not ? OK he will obviously never live up to #1 overall expectaions, but he's anything but JAG and if healthy next year, and at the right price I say why not because I think the Texans defense could sill use him.
With O'Brien gone JD might be interested, but gotta be at the right price what ever that would be ?

Clowney is going to want more than he's worth, and the chances are someone might actually give it to him. It probably won't be Houston though.

An interesting Nashville summary article summarizing their Clowney experience.

Tennessee Titans: The Jadeveon Clowney Experience comes to an unfortunate close

Jadeveon Clowney's season with the Tennessee Titans came to an end last week after undergoing a season-ending knee surgery in Texas. Titans GM Jon Robinson took a gamble on the pass rusher in the off-season that clearly did not pay off.

Reactions: JB
An interesting Nashville summary article summarizing their Clowney experience.

Tennessee Titans: The Jadeveon Clowney Experience comes to an unfortunate close

Jadeveon Clowney's season with the Tennessee Titans came to an end last week after undergoing a season-ending knee surgery in Texas. Titans GM Jon Robinson took a gamble on the pass rusher in the off-season that clearly did not pay off.
Clowney was arguably the Titans’ biggest plunge into free agency the organization has ever made and many fans feel anything less than a satisfactory performance for a full season should be declared a failure. Those expectations were set once the details surrounding Clowney’s one-year deal for $13 million in base salary demands were made public.
The author clearly missplaces blame for Clowneys fat contract because I'm comfortable saying this was 100% Vraebles decision to go with
JDC as he coached him for several years as position coach and DC while both player and coach were with the Texans so he had to be the one pounding the table for Clowney and not the GM and folks in Nashville probably now think Vraeble can take the Titans to the promised land.

JDC as he coached him for several years as position coach and DC while both player and coach were with the Texans so he had to be the one pounding the table for Clowney and not the GM and folks in Nashville probably now think Vraeble can take the Titans to the promised land.
I doubt it. Vrabel didn’t care much for JDC when he was here, much like Jj didn’t care for him.

I doubt it. Vrabel didn’t care much for JDC when he was here, much like Jj didn’t care for him.

Vrabel wanted Clowney and the feeling was mutual. Clowney stated Vrabel being his former position coach as one of the reasons for signing with the Titans. Here is Vrabel talking about signing Clowney:

“[General manager] Jon [Robinson] and I are trying to do everything we can to improve our team and a player of his caliber would certainly – probably – do that,” coach Mike Vrabel said this week on The Helliepod, the podcast host by NFL Network personality Dan Hellie, who is also Tennessee’ play-by-play voice on preseason television broadcasts. “So, we’ll continue to talk. I have a lot of faith in Jon and I appreciate his willingness to allow me to have input into the roster and have some of these discussions with him.”

Vrabel Says Titans Willing to Wait on Clowney - Sports Illustrated Tennessee Titans News, Analysis and More

Mike Vrabel confirms Titans have made offer to Jadeveon Clowney as free agency saga heats up - CBSSports.com

Vrabel wanted Clowney and the feeling was mutual. Clowney stated Vrabel being his former position coach as one of the reasons for signing with the Titans. Here is Vrabel talking about signing Clowney:

“[General manager] Jon [Robinson] and I are trying to do everything we can to improve our team and a player of his caliber would certainly – probably – do that,” coach Mike Vrabel said this week on The Helliepod, the podcast host by NFL Network personality Dan Hellie, who is also Tennessee’ play-by-play voice on preseason television broadcasts. “So, we’ll continue to talk. I have a lot of faith in Jon and I appreciate his willingness to allow me to have input into the roster and have some of these discussions with him.”

Vrabel Says Titans Willing to Wait on Clowney - Sports Illustrated Tennessee Titans News, Analysis and More

Mike Vrabel confirms Titans have made offer to Jadeveon Clowney as free agency saga heats up - CBSSports.com

I remember Vrabel & Jj weren't very happy with Clowney when he was here.

clowney should come back home to houston at a discount to give us something to watch at least dis season

I thought that changed after Clowney's effort in 2016. It was Clowney's asking price in 2018 offseason that soured O'Brien on JD.
I don’t think Jj or Vrabel ever cared for his work ethic here. I don’t know how O’Brien felt about him.

In fairness Whit outplayed Clowney 2yrs I think it was. He was more disruptive and had more sacks.

If that is true, then why did head coach Vrabel hire him for his roster in 2020?

Probably sat down with the coach & said, “You were right, I was wrong. I’ll do what you tell me, when you tell me. I’m clay, I need you to make me the best me I can be.”

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Browns have been the best opportunity for Clowney since last off-season. I think this year; Clowney and his agent come to their senses and he signs to play with Browns for 2021 and probably 2022. I also think the Browns have enough talent in their front seven to allow Clowney to be a good and productive fit.

Back