Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I don't think it would be the end of the world if the Texans kicked the Clowney tires. He's not going to get the money he thinks he deserves until he has a banner and healthy season.

Clowney's very best season as a Texan happened when he replaced Watt at Watt's DE position. This is truly Clowney's best position.

I would offer Clowney a solid but fair 2 year contract that is guaranteed for a season. The contract would be loaded with performance bonuses. He would know from his first day back that he would be the DE opposite Watt whether the Texans are in a 3-Man or 4-Man front.

DE- Clowney
DT- Vanderdoes
DE- Watt

DE- Clowney
DT- Vanderdoes
DT- Blacklock
DE- Watt

I wouldn't be crying in my beer over this optional 3 and 4 man fronts.
Absolutely. I don't think OB has it in him to bring the guy back, but along the terms you spelled out, absolutely he should at least be trying.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't think it would be the end of the world if the Texans kicked the Clowney tires. He's not going to get the money he thinks he deserves until he has a banner and healthy season.

Clowney's very best season as a Texan happened when he replaced Watt at Watt's DE position. This is truly Clowney's best position.

I would offer Clowney a solid but fair 2 year contract that is guaranteed for a season. The contract would be loaded with performance bonuses. He would know from his first day back that he would be the DE opposite Watt whether the Texans are in a 3-Man or 4-Man front.

DE- Clowney
DT- Vanderdoes
DE- Watt

DE- Clowney
DT- Vanderdoes
DT- Blacklock
DE- Watt

I wouldn't be crying in my beer over this optional 3 and 4 man fronts.
You are cracking me up Op-Tex if you actually think O'Brien would even consider resigning JDC at any terms.
I hope JDC ends up in Philly and I'm gonna get me an Eagles #90 t-shirt if he does.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
You are cracking me up Op-Tex if you actually think O'Brien would even consider resigning JDC at any terms.
I hope JDC ends up in Philly and I'm gonna get me an Eagles #90 t-shirt if he does.
This reminds me as to why I think OB has no business being the Texans GM.....much less the HC and/or OC. The GM's job is to set aside personal differences and find the best way to get the top players on the field while staying within the teams cap.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Absolutely. I don't think OB has it in him to bring the guy back, but along the terms you spelled out, absolutely he should at least be trying.
Why? He already made the decision the team is better without him. It wasn't a money decision.

As long as O'Brien is here, Clowney won't be.

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This reminds me as to why I think OB has no business being the Texans GM.....much less the HC and/or OC. The GM's job is to set aside personal differences and find the best way to get the top players on the field while staying within the teams cap.
JC is still looking for a job. The team he just played for couldn't care less if he resigns with them for less than his ask or not. Other teams are telling him he's not worth what he thinks & it's not likely they'll sign him to a long term deal.

BO'b has pretty much said the same thing to him. Only difference is the circumstance that he was on our team and now he's not.

But the "real GMs" are telling him the same thing.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Let me amend this by saying I'd be absolutely thrilled if JDC could somehow sign with the Chiefs but after that it would be pretty damn cool if he became an Eagle.
However no way he ends up in KC, so lets just hope he doesn't end up in our division.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1589840670303.png

Eagles not interested in Jadeveon Clowney, would only consider him for $10M or less, per report
The star pass rusher continues to endure a stagnant free agent market
  • by Cody Benjamin
  • @CodyJBenjamin

• May 17, 2020 at 3:17 pm ET • 1 min read

Two months after hitting NFL free agency, one of the league's most recognized pass rushers remains without a team. And unless he's willing to basically cut his initial salary demands in half, Jadeveon Clowney has little chance of coaxing an offer out of the Philadelphia Eagles. Or at least that's according to SiriusXM's Adam Caplan, who reported recently on ESPN Radio that the Eagles would likely only consider the former Seattle Seahawks starter for $10 million or less.

"They're not interested in the player," Caplan told New Jersey's 97.3 ESPN. "Unless he's willing to take a one-year deal at a significantly reduced price -- probably under $10 million or no more than $10 million, I don't even think they make the call. And even then, they're done ... bringing guys in with an injury history."

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
View attachment 6096

Eagles not interested in Jadeveon Clowney, would only consider him for $10M or less, per report
The star pass rusher continues to endure a stagnant free agent market
  • by Cody Benjamin
  • @CodyJBenjamin

• May 17, 2020 at 3:17 pm ET • 1 min read

Two months after hitting NFL free agency, one of the league's most recognized pass rushers remains without a team. And unless he's willing to basically cut his initial salary demands in half, Jadeveon Clowney has little chance of coaxing an offer out of the Philadelphia Eagles. Or at least that's according to SiriusXM's Adam Caplan, who reported recently on ESPN Radio that the Eagles would likely only consider the former Seattle Seahawks starter for $10 million or less.

"They're not interested in the player," Caplan told New Jersey's 97.3 ESPN. "Unless he's willing to take a one-year deal at a significantly reduced price -- probably under $10 million or no more than $10 million, I don't even think they make the call. And even then, they're done ... bringing guys in with an injury history."

Wow, where are the people that threw fits for months because we wouldn't resign him for a max deal? Lol!

Apparently the rest of the NFL knew better as well.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wow, where are the people that threw fits for months because we wouldn't resign him for a max deal? Lol!

Apparently the rest of the NFL knew better as well.
I'm going to admit I didn't know his value was so low across the league. I'd have thought $12-$15M/yr...

I wonder how different things would be if he could actually visit teams & take a physical. If maybe there was something an xray or MRI could show them to put long term health concerns to rest.

Surely the Eagles & Texans aren't sharing their information.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I'm going to admit I didn't know his value was so low across the league. I'd have thought $12-$15M/yr...

I wonder how different things would be if he could actually visit teams & take a physical. If maybe there was something an xray or MRI could show them to put long term health concerns to rest.

There is no reason that Clowney could not have had had x-rays and MRIs by now, even during the COVID period. If he did not want to go to a hospital to have it done, there are innumerable free-standing image centers that could have safely accommodated him. In fact, if he were serious about being "physically" examined by a team friendly physician, he could have taken a car and traveled to interested team cities (and he's always had access to the Seahawks physicians.........they already know his status). He makes it sound as if all that has stood in his way was teams' inability to evaluate him. With millions on the line and already millions in his pocket, he would have surely been able to find a way to resolve his "problem," but my impression is that he has been hoping that someone takes a chance sight unseen and offers him a sweet deal that they would unlikely entertain given all the information.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

This sounds like pretty bad spin for Clowney. X-Rays had nothing to do with anything.

He was nowhere near worth what people thought we should pay him. Neither was Mario Williams when people debated that mindlessly for a year before he left the Texans and got way overpaid in Buffalo. Mario had been a better player than Clowney had been here as well.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
This sounds like pretty bad spin for Clowney. X-Rays had nothing to do with anything.

He was nowhere near worth what people thought we should pay him. Neither was Mario Williams when people debated that mindlessly for a year before he left the Texans and got way overpaid in Buffalo. Mario had been a better player than Clowney had been here as well.
I can’t disagree with your argument at all but I do think he’s better than Merciless and cheaper than Merciless (obviously he wasn’t going to sign at that cheaper price, though).

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Report: Jadeveon Clowney turned down big offer from Browns
May 27, 2020, 5:00 PM EDT

Free agent defensive end Jadeveon Clowney apparently doesn’t want to go to Cleveland.

The Browns made an aggressive offer to Clowney, who balked at going to Cleveland, Adam Schefter said today on ESPN Radio in Cleveland.

According to Schefter, the offer the Browns made was clearly the best Clowney has received, but he didn’t bite.

Browns General Manager Andrew Berry said last month that Clowney is a good player and he’s always looking to add good players, but otherwise the Browns haven’t said anything about their level of interest.

The problem, however, appears to be Clowney’s level of interest. He’s recovering from surgery on a core muscle and may not have many suitors right now, but he appears content to wait to see if someone else comes along, someone more appealing than the Browns.

The best of recent potential offer numbers which hasn't been all that much. In the past 2 weeks, as interest by other teams have fallen to the wayside, the Browns have been reported as the most likely to sign Clowney. Little by little Clowney is knocking himself out of the market..................as he's stated in the past, he wants good money and will only play for a contender.............probably not a particularly promising combination.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
LOL - Love to see JD show people that not only can he secure a big bag when he wants, but he can be choosy over where he goes - whats the rush? Oh yea thats right his knee only has 37 days left :kitten:. More funny? Some Texan fans are actually thinking JD would come back on some kind of 'hometown discount' because he couldnt get ANY deals in their warped minds! LMAOOO whoooo thinking JD would actually consider ever coming back here man thats good stuff.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
LOL - Love to see JD show people that not only can he secure a big bag when he wants, but he can be choosy over where he goes - whats the rush? Oh yea thats right his knee only has 37 days left :kitten:. More funny? Some Texan fans are actually thinking JD would come back on some kind of 'hometown discount' because he couldnt get ANY deals in their warped minds! LMAOOO whoooo thinking JD would actually consider ever coming back here man thats good stuff.

I dunno is it possible he'd consider returning to Houston under a different HC & GM ?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I dunno is it possible he'd consider returning to Houston under a different HC & GM ?
I bet he would. He's still living here, but only if OBrien was out. He was prepared to play under the franchise tag for this team with no gurantees and then had the rug pulled out from underneath him. Then all the BS stories and make believe narratives start to circulate and guys start posturing and pumping out their chest as if they had any relevant knowledge about what makes the guy tick and knew "he wasnt worth what he was asking" .. JD is a smart, humble, hard working guy .. there is a demand for that and its cool to see him balk at the money and find the right situation for him and his family.

Jadeveon Clowney is not a person to some, he's just a knee.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Here’s the kicker, we’d be ahead had we kept him! Especially considering we paid a good chunk of his salary last season anyways and what his market is now. Last seasons productivity would have been pretty impactful on our defense. Another brilliant move by the FO. Didn’t even need hindsight to see this coming.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I bet he would. He's still living here, but only if OBrien was out. He was prepared to play under the franchise tag for this team with no gurantees and then had the rug pulled out from underneath him. Then all the BS stories and make believe narratives start to circulate and guys start posturing and pumping out their chest as if they had any relevant knowledge about what makes the guy tick and knew "he wasnt worth what he was asking" .. JD is a smart, humble, hard working guy .. there is a demand for that and its cool to see him balk at the money and find the right situation for him and his family.

Jadeveon Clowney is not a person to some, he's just a knee.
JDC is still my fav player in the whole NFL since the day he was drafted.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They replayed the Seattle @ SF game last night. That was a good game. JD was a beast. Didn't show up on the stat sheet, but he had a good game.

PapaL

Loose Screw
They replayed the Seattle @ SF game last night. That was a good game. JD was a beast. Didn't show up on the stat sheet, but he had a good game.
That’s the thing about Clowney. He’s a wildcard. He’ll make a play that drops your jaw and then jumps offsides the next play.

Idk his market value but I know this, I wouldn’t leave my best tackle 1 v 1 on Clowney. It will not end well. That’s why I’d prefer him be a Texan. You know he’s going to show up vs any OBrien lead team if it’s the last thing he does.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Interesting that it appears the Schefter's tweet was likely based on info fed him by Clowney's agent (an inaccurate "leak" approach used commonly by agents promoting their clients). There is significant question about the "big offer" that Clowney turned down. It has been brought up that Clowney would have a great situation playing along side Myles Garrett. But there appears to be a built-in complication.........Clowney and Garrett share the same agent, Bus Cook. Furthermore, not mentioned in the article.........high profile agents PR-wise cannot afford to get their high profile players in a sub impressive deal............that discourages potential future high profile players from signing on with that agent.

Analyst Not Buying Report That Clowney Turned Down Big Browns Offer
By Pat Opperman May 30, 2020 @OppsPat

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The same information I've been getting all along.

Browns Offered Jadeveon Clowney $12MM/Year?
June 2nd, 2020 at 1:13pm CST by Zach Links
Jadeveon Clowney recently rejected an offer from the Browns, one that is rumored to be the most lucrative of any he’s received thus far. Still, it sounds like it was a far cry from the type of coin that Clowney has become accustomed to. The Browns’ proposal was believed to be worth around $12MM per year in base salary, agents tell Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com.

That’s the “word in the agent community,” per La Canfora. The full and true details of the offer are only known to Clowney’s representatives and those in the Browns’ front office. It’s also not immediately clear whether the Browns were offering a one-year deal or a multi-year arrangement. Either way, the Browns haven’t been totally turned off – they’re reportedly still interested.

When Clowney was traded from the Texans, he made the Seahawks promise not to use the franchise tag on him for a second consecutive season. The Seahawks probably wouldn’t have given him a 20% bump over his ’19 salary, but as JLC notes, a one-year, $18MM tether for 2020 would have been preferable to his current situation. So far, the Browns offer is apparently the best Clowney has been able to scare up, and the base compensation is about 25% less than Matthew Judon’s DE/LB hybrid tag for this year.

*******************************************************************************************************

NFL reality amid coronavirus: Players should sign now and hope for a better deal later
It's a bad time to be a free agent, and Jadeveon Clowney remains the face of this dilemma
by Jason La Canfora
Jun 1, 2020 at 12:21 pm ET • 5 min read

The word throughout the agent community is that the reportedly "super lucrative" deal he turned down from the Cleveland Browns would have been worth $12M at its base. That's a far cry from the over $20M a year Clowney initially wanted on a long-term deal. It's also well below the $16.8M franchise tag that fellow edge defender Matthew Judon just signed with the Ravens last week. It's not even close, actually.

Agents and players have to be aware of the talent that is still on the street and the potential options NFL teams have to add potentially-impactful cheap labor; in this league almost everyone can be replaced and the balance of power is sitting with owners. In the case of Judon, his representatives at SportsStars certainly surveyed that landscape when opting to advise their client to sign his tag.

"One-hundred percent," agent Brian Mackler, who represents Judon along with James Ivler and Jerard Roggio, told me last week. "We had two guys I thought were going to be tagged this year – D.J. Humphries, the left tackle for Arizona who was able to get deal done before the tag, and then Matt (Judon). And if you spoke to me back in February we'd have had a whole different talk.

"But we're in a different world now and I agree with you, Jason, there are a lot of good football players out there that are available, and the economics in the National Football League is probably going to change this year from what it's been in the past."

The cold reality is that if the Ravens had for any reason rescinded the tag – they were instead working out a compromise with Judon about whether he should be designated as a defensive end or linebacker for the purposes of the tag – he may have been forced to take a financial hit. Again, the Ravens are in Super Bowl-or-bust mode and aren't in a mode to shed their best outside pass rusher, but had they pulled the tag, executives I spoke to estimated Judon perhaps was looking at an $8-$10M payday. And that is the same range multiple execs I spoke to evaluated for Clowney, given the current state of affairs in the NFL.

Does Clowney end up getting more than the near $17M that Judon just secured? I tend to highly doubt it; maybe in the summer, if a top team loses an elite defender to injury. Otherwise, I believe the market has spoken.

LINK

OptimisticTexan

Texans could offer, and I know they won’t, Clowney a 1 year prove it deal for 14M + incentives that could earn him 17-18M for the 2020 season. The key word is “earn”. The only thing OB could be told is.....no. Not the end of the world.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Texans could offer, and I know they won’t, Clowney a 1 year prove it deal for 14M + incentives that could earn him 17-18M for the 2020 season. The key word is “earn”. The only thing OB could be told is.....no. Not the end of the world.
That’s more than the 8M we paid him last year and more than his 5th year option we passed on. BOb wouldn’t fall on his sword for the greater good.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
In recent days, with the Clowney-Browns breakdown, reports of the Jets being interested in Clowney have resurfaced because their cap was being increased by ~$11 million. Sounds like Cook's PR machine has been busy at work.

Report: Jets never had serious interest in Jadeveon Clowney, still don’t
Posted by Charean Williams on June 3, 2020, 4:43 PM EDT

The Jets gained $11 million in salary-cap space this week when Trumaine Johnson’s deal came off the books. They now have $25.2 million in cap space, fourth in the league, according to the NFL Players Association.

That gives them pretty of room to make a run at pass-rusher Jadeveon Clowney if they want.

Except they don’t, according to Rich Cimini of ESPN.

While the Jets did talk to the pass rusher’s representation, the Jets never had serious interest in Clowney and “their position hasn’t changed” even with the extra cap space, according to Cimini.

Clowney’s options seemingly are drying up.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Seahawks haven't spoken for 2 months. With that, the purported $15 million dollar offer (1 year) that the Seahawks offered back then is unlikely that if they regain any interest at all that it would be any where close to that number. Titans GM today also stated that there have been no recent discussions with Clowney's agent.

Last edited:

texan279

Hall of Fame
Report: NFL teams 'done' negotiating with Jadeveon Clowney

Three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jadeveon Clowney went into free agency expecting NFL teams to shower him with market-setting contract offers.

Now, with training camp just a month away, Clowney remains a free agent and it seems NFL clubs have had enough in negotiating with him.

Clowney reportedly expected to be signed by an NFL contender by now, with a deal worth at least $20 million per season. Instead, he is waiting and hoping for a market that never showed strong interest in him to suddenly change.

Organizations have spent several months talking to Clowney’s agent, Bus Cook, in an attempt to bring down the contract demands. Clowney, reportedly, isn’t willing to budge. That has reportedly driven multiple teams to the point of giving up.
“I’ve talked to multiple teams that have done the dance with Bus Cook, Clowney’s agent, and they’re tired of it,” reports Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports. “… Teams are done, they’re just done. Like, ‘All right, man. Whatever. You know what our stance is, you know what our numbers are. We’re moving on'”
In fact, according to Robinson, front offices around the league have reportedly sent a message to Clowney through his agent: Until he decides to accept that he isn’t worth the number he is seeking, no one will be calling him.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Report: NFL teams 'done' negotiating with Jadeveon Clowney

Three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jadeveon Clowney went into free agency expecting NFL teams to shower him with market-setting contract offers.

Now, with training camp just a month away, Clowney remains a free agent and it seems NFL clubs have had enough in negotiating with him.

Clowney reportedly expected to be signed by an NFL contender by now, with a deal worth at least $20 million per season. Instead, he is waiting and hoping for a market that never showed strong interest in him to suddenly change.

Organizations have spent several months talking to Clowney’s agent, Bus Cook, in an attempt to bring down the contract demands. Clowney, reportedly, isn’t willing to budge. That has reportedly driven multiple teams to the point of giving up.

In fact, according to Robinson, front offices around the league have reportedly sent a message to Clowney through his agent: Until he decides to accept that he isn’t worth the number he is seeking, no one will be calling him.

Clowney and his agent show no insight. They do not see things as they are. They continue to exist only on their own terms.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Saw a link today that alleges Browns have offered JD a one year $15 million contract. He should grab it with both hands.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Saw a link today that alleges Browns have offered JD a one year $15 million contract. He should grab it with both hands.
I've seen that recent link, but the offer was actually 1 year for $12 million with "incentives" that could build to ~$15. I've heard from one of my sources that the main incentive would be sacks, which Clowney evidently is not too confident he can meet.

The saga continues

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I've seen that recent link, but the offer was actually 1 year for $12 million with "incentives" that could build to ~$15. I've heard from one of my sources that the main incentive would be sacks, which Clowney evidently is not too confident he can meet.

The saga continues
Even $12 million seems a good offer for him at this point. With a 1 year prove it deal where he could be going after a higher number again next season.

We are right at the point where you’ve always stated his knee is likely to degenerate swiftly, doc. Everything from how Clowney is handling himself tells me he isn’t confident he can put up a good season.

I remain a big fan of his, and feel the work he’s put in to perform how he has is incredible given just how awful his injury was. If the NFL paid based on past effort instead of future value he’d have team snatching his hand off at $20 million.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
NFL teams question Jadeveon Clowney’s dedication to mental side of the game

Jadeveon Clowney entered the offseason hoping to become one of the NFL’s highest-paid players, seeking an extension worth approximately $20 million per season. However, the star edge rusher soon found that NFL teams weren’t as enamored with him and he was walking into a weak market.

In addition to concerns over his durability and doubts about his work ethic, per Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, multiple NFL teams question Clowney’s dedication to the mental aspect of football. In the eyes of several evaluators, Clowney’s game tape reflects a player who relies on his physical ability and isn’t developing his technique or approach as much as he should.

According to Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline, Clowney would now be happy signing a “decent” one-year offer with a playoff contender. Right at the top of his wish list, the Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints. No one has seen signs of interest by either of these two teams. And making it very unlikely is that neither team has anywhere close to the cap space to satisfy Clowney's $$$$ terms.

Reactions: JB

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
NFL teams question Jadeveon Clowney’s dedication to mental side of the game

Jadeveon Clowney entered the offseason hoping to become one of the NFL’s highest-paid players, seeking an extension worth approximately $20 million per season. However, the star edge rusher soon found that NFL teams weren’t as enamored with him and he was walking into a weak market.

In addition to concerns over his durability and doubts about his work ethic, per Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, multiple NFL teams question Clowney’s dedication to the mental aspect of football. In the eyes of several evaluators, Clowney’s game tape reflects a player who relies on his physical ability and isn’t developing his technique or approach as much as he should.

According to Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline, Clowney would now be happy signing a “decent” one-year offer with a playoff contender. Right at the top of his wish list, the Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints. No one has seen signs of interest by either of these two teams. And making it very unlikely is that neither team has anywhere close to the cap space to satisfy Clowney's $$$$ terms.
I dunno wonder how large the gap is between JDC & prospective employers about what constitutes a "decent" one-year contract.
I just hope that, except for the Chiefs, he eventually lands with an NFC team again like last year.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Seems like all these articles as to teams who may sign Clowney are by authors that have nothing else to write about, so they produce fabricated scenarios they themselves or Clowney's agent offer up.............Great title I saw to a recent article: Clowney Wishes For Cowboys? He'll Need To 'Wish' Cheaper

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
I think at this point it might be worth his while to sit out a season if he can't get the money he wants. I think he can still sign a decent long term contract once the economic situation stabilizes, but I don't think there is any way he can do it this year. I'm also pretty sure he can't do any better than what the Texans reportedly offered him a year ago.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I think at this point it might be worth his while to sit out a season if he can't get the money he wants. I think he can still sign a decent long term contract once the economic situation stabilizes, but I don't think there is any way he can do it this year. I'm also pretty sure he can't do any better than what the Texans reportedly offered him a year ago.
If he sits out, with 2021 looking at a significantly lower cap..............and anticipating a significant rebound after 2021.........let's be clear, that is not a guarantee. He will not have "field-tested" his injuries for teams to properly assess, and will not have played for the most part of 2 years.................he only was able to play in 3 of the last 6 games in 2019..............and had very noticeable decreased performance in the 3 games he did play at the end of that season. With all of the concerns a team would have to go into without having answers, I can't see any team signing him to a long-term high dollar contract he is seeking. It would not be unreasonable to think that most teams would still want a "prove it" year (just like they do now) before committing to more. With more time having gone by, that appeal in itself may have lost much the glitter it had before.

Of course, I'll put it more subtly than this man would................

1593738002756.png

...................and just leave it at there theoretically could be a team out there as unrealistic and desperate as Clowney. :tiphat:

PapaL

Loose Screw
Worthless but he carried our defense.
Headache because he’s trying to get paid?
JDC would be improvement for us.
Only a damn fool would think otherwise.

OptimisticTexan

Clowney is getting oh so close to a reality I don't think he's prepared to handle. If Clowney skips 2020....there's no paychecks coming but the bills, they come like clockwork. If there is in fact a cap decrease for 2021 and Clowney hasn't played any football in roughly 18 or so months, he's going to be looking square in the eyes of a veteran minimum contract with incentives.

Clowney might be in a position to grab a 1 year 5-8M dollar contract with incentives if he gets off his high horse, realizes the situation, and signs with a team that offers him the best opportunity to put his skills on display for crunch time. Still have no idea as to why he turned down the Browns. His opportunity to play alongside Garrett could've done as much for hm as playing along side Watt for a season. Browns are definitely in a tougher division so if his sole concern is a playoff contender.....the Texans might be his best shot.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Worthless but he carried our defense.
Headache because he’s trying to get paid?
JDC would be improvement for us.
Only a damn fool would think otherwise.
The NFL doesn't think he's anywhere near worth what he wants to get paid and for the length he wants to get paid.