Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

theCATALYST

"Fake" Fan
I don't think it would be the end of the world if the Texans kicked the Clowney tires. He's not going to get the money he thinks he deserves until he has a banner and healthy season.

Clowney's very best season as a Texan happened when he replaced Watt at Watt's DE position. This is truly Clowney's best position.

I would offer Clowney a solid but fair 2 year contract that is guaranteed for a season. The contract would be loaded with performance bonuses. He would know from his first day back that he would be the DE opposite Watt whether the Texans are in a 3-Man or 4-Man front.

DE- Clowney
DT- Vanderdoes
DE- Watt

DE- Clowney
DT- Vanderdoes
DT- Blacklock
DE- Watt

I wouldn't be crying in my beer over this optional 3 and 4 man fronts.
Absolutely. I don't think OB has it in him to bring the guy back, but along the terms you spelled out, absolutely he should at least be trying.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't think it would be the end of the world if the Texans kicked the Clowney tires. He's not going to get the money he thinks he deserves until he has a banner and healthy season.

Clowney's very best season as a Texan happened when he replaced Watt at Watt's DE position. This is truly Clowney's best position.

I would offer Clowney a solid but fair 2 year contract that is guaranteed for a season. The contract would be loaded with performance bonuses. He would know from his first day back that he would be the DE opposite Watt whether the Texans are in a 3-Man or 4-Man front.

DE- Clowney
DT- Vanderdoes
DE- Watt

DE- Clowney
DT- Vanderdoes
DT- Blacklock
DE- Watt

I wouldn't be crying in my beer over this optional 3 and 4 man fronts.
You are cracking me up Op-Tex if you actually think O'Brien would even consider resigning JDC at any terms.
I hope JDC ends up in Philly and I'm gonna get me an Eagles #90 t-shirt if he does.

OptimisticTexan

Hall of Fame
You are cracking me up Op-Tex if you actually think O'Brien would even consider resigning JDC at any terms.
I hope JDC ends up in Philly and I'm gonna get me an Eagles #90 t-shirt if he does.
This reminds me as to why I think OB has no business being the Texans GM.....much less the HC and/or OC. The GM's job is to set aside personal differences and find the best way to get the top players on the field while staying within the teams cap.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Absolutely. I don't think OB has it in him to bring the guy back, but along the terms you spelled out, absolutely he should at least be trying.
Why? He already made the decision the team is better without him. It wasn't a money decision.

As long as O'Brien is here, Clowney won't be.

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This reminds me as to why I think OB has no business being the Texans GM.....much less the HC and/or OC. The GM's job is to set aside personal differences and find the best way to get the top players on the field while staying within the teams cap.
JC is still looking for a job. The team he just played for couldn't care less if he resigns with them for less than his ask or not. Other teams are telling him he's not worth what he thinks & it's not likely they'll sign him to a long term deal.

BO'b has pretty much said the same thing to him. Only difference is the circumstance that he was on our team and now he's not.

But the "real GMs" are telling him the same thing.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Let me amend this by saying I'd be absolutely thrilled if JDC could somehow sign with the Chiefs but after that it would be pretty damn cool if he became an Eagle.
However no way he ends up in KC, so lets just hope he doesn't end up in our division.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
1589840670303.png

Eagles not interested in Jadeveon Clowney, would only consider him for $10M or less, per report
The star pass rusher continues to endure a stagnant free agent market
  • by Cody Benjamin
  • @CodyJBenjamin

• May 17, 2020 at 3:17 pm ET • 1 min read

Two months after hitting NFL free agency, one of the league's most recognized pass rushers remains without a team. And unless he's willing to basically cut his initial salary demands in half, Jadeveon Clowney has little chance of coaxing an offer out of the Philadelphia Eagles. Or at least that's according to SiriusXM's Adam Caplan, who reported recently on ESPN Radio that the Eagles would likely only consider the former Seattle Seahawks starter for $10 million or less.

"They're not interested in the player," Caplan told New Jersey's 97.3 ESPN. "Unless he's willing to take a one-year deal at a significantly reduced price -- probably under $10 million or no more than $10 million, I don't even think they make the call. And even then, they're done ... bringing guys in with an injury history."

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
View attachment 6096

Eagles not interested in Jadeveon Clowney, would only consider him for $10M or less, per report
The star pass rusher continues to endure a stagnant free agent market
  • by Cody Benjamin
  • @CodyJBenjamin

• May 17, 2020 at 3:17 pm ET • 1 min read

Two months after hitting NFL free agency, one of the league's most recognized pass rushers remains without a team. And unless he's willing to basically cut his initial salary demands in half, Jadeveon Clowney has little chance of coaxing an offer out of the Philadelphia Eagles. Or at least that's according to SiriusXM's Adam Caplan, who reported recently on ESPN Radio that the Eagles would likely only consider the former Seattle Seahawks starter for $10 million or less.

"They're not interested in the player," Caplan told New Jersey's 97.3 ESPN. "Unless he's willing to take a one-year deal at a significantly reduced price -- probably under $10 million or no more than $10 million, I don't even think they make the call. And even then, they're done ... bringing guys in with an injury history."

Wow, where are the people that threw fits for months because we wouldn't resign him for a max deal? Lol!

Apparently the rest of the NFL knew better as well.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wow, where are the people that threw fits for months because we wouldn't resign him for a max deal? Lol!

Apparently the rest of the NFL knew better as well.
I'm going to admit I didn't know his value was so low across the league. I'd have thought $12-$15M/yr...

I wonder how different things would be if he could actually visit teams & take a physical. If maybe there was something an xray or MRI could show them to put long term health concerns to rest.

Surely the Eagles & Texans aren't sharing their information.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I'm going to admit I didn't know his value was so low across the league. I'd have thought $12-$15M/yr...

I wonder how different things would be if he could actually visit teams & take a physical. If maybe there was something an xray or MRI could show them to put long term health concerns to rest.

There is no reason that Clowney could not have had had x-rays and MRIs by now, even during the COVID period. If he did not want to go to a hospital to have it done, there are innumerable free-standing image centers that could have safely accommodated him. In fact, if he were serious about being "physically" examined by a team friendly physician, he could have taken a car and traveled to interested team cities (and he's always had access to the Seahawks physicians.........they already know his status). He makes it sound as if all that has stood in his way was teams' inability to evaluate him. With millions on the line and already millions in his pocket, he would have surely been able to find a way to resolve his "problem," but my impression is that he has been hoping that someone takes a chance sight unseen and offers him a sweet deal that they would unlikely entertain given all the information.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

This sounds like pretty bad spin for Clowney. X-Rays had nothing to do with anything.

He was nowhere near worth what people thought we should pay him. Neither was Mario Williams when people debated that mindlessly for a year before he left the Texans and got way overpaid in Buffalo. Mario had been a better player than Clowney had been here as well.

welsh texan

All Pro
This sounds like pretty bad spin for Clowney. X-Rays had nothing to do with anything.

He was nowhere near worth what people thought we should pay him. Neither was Mario Williams when people debated that mindlessly for a year before he left the Texans and got way overpaid in Buffalo. Mario had been a better player than Clowney had been here as well.
I can’t disagree with your argument at all but I do think he’s better than Merciless and cheaper than Merciless (obviously he wasn’t going to sign at that cheaper price, though).