Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The Jacoby Jones Pre-Cut Thread

Signed a 3 year $10.5M deal with $3M guaranteed and a $1.5M signing bonus.

2011: $2M salary l $500K bonus
2012: $3M salary l $500K bonus
2013: $4M salary l $500K bonus

After the signing bonus there's an extra $1.5M that's guaranteed. Likely some of that was in his first year's salary. But WORST case scenario his contract reads "$1.5M of 2012 salary is guaranteed". So if we cut him, we owe him that plus the $1M unallocated signing bonus for a total of $2.5M.

That's still a $1M cap savings worst case scenario. If we do lose him do need to sign a WR and a PR. So that factors into the cost benefit thought process.

Best case scenario, $1.5M of his 2011 salary was fully guaranteed. In that event we'd only be on the hook for $1M this season and that'd be a $2.5M savings in 2012 and definitely would help more in 2013.

Maybe he had his face buried in a bowl of Mommas gumbo when the phone rang..

Nah, I dunno man. I think it'll depend on what we can get to replace him 1st. Once we find a viable replacement.....he gone

True... I bet the front office waits until the draft. If we draft a good WR we may cut him then. That would honestly be the smart move. Unless we're going after Wayne or another FA WR.

In every organization there are people like Jacoby Jones. They are worthless and fail time after time.

However, the higher ups just like the guy for reasons no one else can figure out. Meanwhile, good productive people become budget cut casualties.

The garbage guy still survives cut after cut and the rest of the employees just scratch their heads.

This is a sad reality in today's world. Sometimes being a failure does pay.

Signed a 3 year $10.5M deal with $3M guaranteed and a $1.5M signing bonus.

2011: $2M salary l $500K bonus
2012: $3M salary l $500K bonus
2013: $4M salary l $500K bonus

After the signing bonus there's an extra $1.5M that's guaranteed. Likely some of that was in his first year's salary. But WORST case scenario his contract reads "$1.5M of 2012 salary is guaranteed". So if we cut him, we owe him that plus the $1M unallocated signing bonus for a total of $2.5M.

That's still a $1M cap savings worst case scenario. If we do lose him do need to sign a WR and a PR. So that factors into the cost benefit thought process.

Best case scenario, $1.5M of his 2011 salary was fully guaranteed. In that event we'd only be on the hook for $1M this season and that'd be a $2.5M savings in 2012 and definitely would help more in 2013.

Finally, someone backing things up with facts.

No way could we sign a #3 receiver AND a punt returner of his caliber for $2.5mm. I'd rather keep him and not have to worry about replacements. I'm more concerned about finding an OLB to replace Mario, as well as keeping our OL as intact as possible.

In every organization there are people like Jacoby Jones. They are worthless and fail time after time.

However, the higher ups just like the guy for reasons no one else can figure out. Meanwhile, good productive people become budget cut casualties.

The garbage guy still survives cut after cut and the rest of the employees just scratch their heads.

This is a sad reality in today's world. Sometimes being a failure does pay.

100 percent spot on. And it doesn't just apply to just sports. I have witnessed that in action at more than one place I have worked. I have seen solid, productive, contributors get laid off while lazy, "likeable" people are saved. It's one of the reasons why I'm sick of office politics and want to run my own business. But that's another story.

100 percent spot on. And it doesn't just apply to just sports. I have witnessed that in action at more than one place I have worked. I have seen solid, productive, contributors get laid off while lazy, "likeable" people are saved. It's one of the reasons why I'm sick of office politics and want to run my own business. But that's another story.

Precisely my point. It is just one of those mysteries of life.

107688150_crop_650x440.jpg

my guess is that they wait to see who they are able to acquire to replace Jones before cutting him.

if that were the case they would of done the same with Winston !!! I think they keep him and continue to "believe" he will put it all together one day :toropalm:

Isn't there something about cutting a guy after June 1?

We are allowed to cut two guys NOW but designate them as a post-June 1st cut, in order to save money. Maybe we're needing to wait until free agency settles a bit, then the draft, and THEN cut him?

*EDIT* This is not confirmed by a second source at this time.

@AllieFontana: #Texans announce the release of WR Jacoby Jones. The move gives them an additional $4.7M in cap room. #NFL #freeagency

Last edited:
If this is untrue, I apologize to everyone for getting their hopes up.

The first tweet I saw said "Later Jacoby!!!!" and was from PHABMK6, who I believe to be a trustworthy person regarding the Texans.

I replied to his tweet asking for clarification, and had not received any response when the tweet I quoted popped up in my timeline.

I thought I was being careful waiting for a second source, but it's possible I jumped the gun.

Sorry for now, until something more definitive is reported.

I wouldn't call "BrunoBoysSports" a "reputable source". Not that it couldn't be true, but until I hear it from someone like Schefter or McClain, I'll have my doubts.

Never even heard of the site. Or her for that matter.

Don't count on McGobbler for breaking info. Dude's probably chokin down an ole 96er

If this is untrue, I apologize to everyone for getting their hopes up.

The first tweet I saw said "Later Jacoby!!!!" and was from PHABMK6, who I believe to be a trustworthy person regarding the Texans.

I replied to his tweet asking for clarification, and had not received any response when the tweet I quoted popped up in my timeline.

I thought I was being careful waiting for a second source, but it's possible I jumped the gun.

Sorry for now, until something more definitive is reported.

Well at least you didn't "hear it from a friend".

The Texans' front office has been locked in and dead silent the last 24 hours. I think they're all waiting on Mario before making any moves.

Back