Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The all encompassing DW4 good plays thread

ClemsonTexan

Waterboy
Spoken like a consummate professional.

Putting aside all the talk about Xs and Os, I always thought Watson would be okay in the NFL because he's always been a very willing worker. No crab leg incidents. No "I'll spend more of my free time lifting weights because you never forget how to read defenses." No unwillingness to sit down and study a playbook. He's a serious and focused guy who's won at every level in football except this one and I have no reason to believe he doesn't bring the right attitude and outlook to every game and practice with the singular goal of winning a Super Bowl.

To me, that trumps arm talent and other measurables. Is this a guy who is going to show up, take the job with the utmost seriousness, and work? J.J. Watt made it sound like a lot of guys in the organization do not show up, take it seriously and work, and it did not sound like he includes DW4 among that group.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I wanna know why Watson was on the sidelines for the tAcks last minute, game-winning FG. It's the final play of the regular season and the "franchise QB" isn't on the field? I bet Cal McNair called down and forced RAC and Kelly....I mean Weaver...to keep DW4 on the sidelines.
:chef: :smiliepalm:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
He played well, as expected yesterday.

When does he become not a young QB, yr5, yr 10?
It started with GM1 of his 53 starts. First 6 games he had no issues making things happen with a poor team. He had a really nice 16 games this season. If the team around him was better....I'm guessing he could've been enjoying a 10+ win season and the Texans being a better team entering the playoffs.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It started with GM1 of his 53 starts. First 6 games he had no issues makingthings happen with a poor team. He had a really nice 16 games this season. If the team around him was better....I'm guessing he could've been enjoying a 10+ win season and being a better team entering the playoffs.
That wasn't the question,

How many more years before some stop referring to him as a young QB?

Next year is year 5.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I was really prepared to discuss Watson's garbage stats today after he allowed the Titans to win the game yesterday.

Oh, that's right....Watson drove the Texans down and got this game tied late against a team that was playing for a division title. So, it's safe to assume Watson had to play all out for 4 quarters so his stat sheet from yesterday was the real deal. The defense, "once again", figured out how to hand the game over with 18 seconds left and the Titans needing 75 yards to score or 55 yards to get into comfortable FG range.....18 ducking seconds and they screw the pooch in probably the worst fashion to date. Even if the Texans got to OT, won the toss, and watched Watson drive for a TD.....who would be celebrating knowing the defense would have to make the stop to wrap-up the win in OT?

ClemsonTexan

Waterboy
We’re all old folks on here so him, Mahomas, Jackson and several others are young QBs. And on the cool what’s the difference? Why are you worried about that any ways?
There's a somewhat objective answer to this question, I think. I believe a player is still "young" if he's yet to hit his prime. For an NFL QB, that's usually around the age of 26 with a peak around 29/30.

ClemsonTexan

Waterboy
I think there's a certain sadness that comes along with players maturing and leaving some of their more reckless habits behind. They get more efficient with age, wisdom and maturity, but it's the reckless abandon of youth that often makes them so entertaining in the first place.

I imagine there will one day be a more successful yet more conservative and boring version of DW4 and we'll say "Remember when he would just evade the rush and throw a frozen rope downfield instead of audibling to a 7-yard screen pass? Man, those were the days!"

ClemsonTexan

Waterboy
Does anyone know why Manning didn't elevate his team in his 4th season as a starter when he went 6-10? What makes this so hilarious is that Mora is absolutely right. When you throw 4 interceptions, 1 for a TD, 3 others in field position to set up TDs, you can't expect to win. Yet here we are blaming a guy who threw 33 TDs to 7 INTs for the team's downfall. LMAO.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Some members doesn’t want to hear the truth. Thus the reason why they’re disliking my comments as well as living in this fantasy world. Then again they’re too concerned with be right thus the reason why they continue to spew data that fits only their agenda.

Hey it’s ok to admit you’re wrong and you just doesn’t like certain players

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We’re all old folks on here so him, Mahomas, Jackson and several others are young QBs. And on the cool what’s the difference? Why are you worried about that any ways?
Just asking at what yr would he be considered a veteran QB in your mind.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think there's a certain sadness that comes along with players maturing and leaving some of their more reckless habits behind. They get more efficient with age, wisdom and maturity, but it's the reckless abandon of youth that often makes them so entertaining in the first place.

I imagine there will one day be a more successful yet more conservative and boring version of DW4 and we'll say "Remember when he would just evade the rush and throw a frozen rope downfield instead of audibling to a 7-yard screen pass? Man, those were the days!"
That style, while exciting doesn't win championship's. So yes I'm very much looking forward to the day your describing.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was really prepared to discuss Watson's garbage stats today after he allowed the Titans to win the game yesterday.

Oh, that's right....Watson drove the Texans down and got this game tied late against a team that was playing for a division title. So, it's safe to assume Watson had to play all out for 4 quarters so his stat sheet from yesterday was the real deal. The defense, "once again", figured out how to hand the game over with 18 seconds left and the Titans needing 75 yards to score or 55 yards to get into comfortable FG range.....18 ducking seconds and they screw the pooch in probably the worst fashion to date. Even if the Texans got to OT, won the toss, and watched Watson drive for a TD.....who would be celebrating knowing the defense would have to make the stop to wrap-up the win in OT?
If they had won the toss and scored a TD then it's game over.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
Some members doesn’t want to hear the truth. Thus the reason why they’re disliking my comments as well as living in this fantasy world. Then again they’re too concerned with be right thus the reason why they continue to spew data that fits only their agenda.

Hey it’s ok to admit you’re wrong and you just doesn’t like certain players
I didn't want to let you down, so I disliked your post.
That was a darn good pass.
Agreed, but you misspelled damn and beautiful.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Good to see the TEs involved again in the red zone. Last year, I thought we had a steal in Fells and then his blocking regressed. This year, Brown has been a pleasant surprise.

Am I crazy or has Pharaoh Brown been their best TE since getting picked up off the street ?

Warring seems like he's a still a year away from being a year away.

Akins runs hot and cold.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Am I crazy or has Pharaoh Brown been their best TE since getting picked up off the street ?

Warring seems like he's a still a year away from being a year away.

Akins runs hot and cold.
That’s another problem with this coaching staff. They can’t manage more than one high priority target. It’s always Fuller or Hopkins or Fells or Akins or QT or Cooks

Not like Cheetah & Kelce & Williams

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Who’s Williams? The Texans would have had 2 100+ target receivers if Fuller could have stayed on the field.
Damien Williams, or whoever their RB happens to be at any given time.

But I'm talking more of on a game by game basis. I know we had that one game with two 100 yard receivers, but that's been the exception.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Another "feature" or bug with this game plan offense. If your players don't know how they will be utilized from week to week, neither will the defense.

While defenses were playing chess, BOB was playing Klin Zha. Unfortunately, the majority of his team are from Earth.
The gameplan offense has seemed to workout pretty well for the Pats over the yrs.