Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The all encompassing DW4 good plays thread

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I’m getting the impression that some fans on this board relish any and every opportunity to make Watson fans (who, by the way, are just as loyal Texans fans as anyone else posting on this board) as miserable, or angry, as possible. Nothing better to do?
It's interesting. At this point, I'm not sure if watching their favorite team win is as enjoyable as having the opportunity to bash their least favorite player on the team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m getting the impression that some fans on this board relish any and every opportunity to make Watson fans (who, by the way, are just as loyal Texans fans as anyone else posting on this board) as miserable, or angry, as possible. Nothing better to do?
7 pts

The truth shall set you free.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I asked a question about the game plan. How is that about Watson? He went 20/30 is that suddenly bad? But 163 must mean that the biggest completion was like 8yrds...who drew up the game plan.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Cobb dropped two that he should’ve pulled in. One would’ve been 6 points the other a 1st down. Granted the first down pass wasn’t perfect but he should’ve pulled it in. DW never got going, didn’t look sharp, no real downfield looks to speak of. Again, they looked like they had no idea what the plan was
That's what I mean who draws up this 8yrd pass max game plan?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

There were NO "anti Watson" posts and only Watson apologists posting until @steelbtexan posted on the next page ..... no one was complaining about our poor mistreated QB.

Texansballer74

The Marine
They only Watson fan doesn’t even post anymore. Everyone else are Texans fans who want every player to succeed, especially our superstars. But you are right those 1000 % accurate fans do not want Watson to succeed. To be honest we’re actually laughing at their attempt to piss Houston Texans fans off. Right now I’m pissed at another freaking loss in which the entire team ( let me say that again) THE ENTIRE TEAM not just Watson didn’t look like they wanted to win this game.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
They only Watson fan doesn’t even post anymore. Everyone else are Texans fans who want every player to succeed, especially our superstars. But you are right those 1000 % accurate fans do not want Watson to succeed. To be honest we’re actually laughing at their attempt to piss Houston Texans fans off. Right now I’m pissed at another freaking loss in which the entire team ( let me say that again) THE ENTIRE TEAM not just Watson didn’t look like they wanted to win this game.

You don't think we want Watson to succeed ?

Of those you'd consider "Anti-Watson" .... We've all been fans of this team since before they played a game. We want this team and its QB to do well ... Just as much as you do.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Of those you'd consider "Anti-Watson" .... We've all been fans of this team since before they played a game. We want this team and its QB to do well ... Just as much as you do.

I can’t tell. It’s ok to be critical but you gents are being over critical. Talk about a overkill. You expect this young man to be able to battle through all of the adversities that surround him. But you gents are not be over critical to that atrocious offensive line, terrible running game nor the play caller/ coaches. Neither quarterback played well and y’all should know why. The darn weather was just that bad. The Browns actually have a legitimate running game. That’s why they won. We don’t have a running game.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

I don't doubt you want him to succeed, the question is you recognizing what success is.

This team is bad. You can go back and forth about Watson this Watson that all you want. Until this team gets better, and that includes coaching, it isn't really going to matter what Watson does. I mean the guy has 12 TD and 2 INT in his last 5 games, but they're 2-3 in those games, so it doesn't matter.

And the issue as far as the discussions on this message board, is putting most of the blame on Watson, and not having much to say about the suckage that is the rest of the team. Yeah, I get that he's the money man, he's the face of the franchise, he's the one going to get talked about the most, and all that, but it still doesn't make him solely (seemingly) accountable for their suckage. There's way too much focus on the few plays he doesn't make, because the team does suck, and that just isn't a fair nor true analysis.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I can’t tell. It’s ok to be critical but you gents are being over critical. Talk about a overkill. You expect this young man to be able to battle through all of the adversities that surround him. But you gents are not be over critical to that atrocious offensive line, terrible running game nor the play caller/ coaches. Neither quarterback played well and y’all should know why. The darn weather was just that bad. The Browns actually have a legitimate running game. That’s why they won. We don’t have a running game.
Scoring only 7 points is why they lost.

The offense including DW4 has to be better than that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nope, meaning this thread shouldn't be getting bumped up with needless drama. All the other threads have already dissolved into bashing Watson threads, so why continue pulling this one off track as well? I can answer that.....agenda pushing.
So pointing out that the offense played like crap yesterday is pushing an agenda? I was just answering a question of why posters weren't bringing up DW4's good plays. BTW, when DW4 has good plays it's usually because the TEAM executed the play properly and not just because of DW4. That's discounting everybody elses hard work they put in their jobs. That narrative has been around these parts for far to long.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So pointing out that the offense played like crap yesterday is pushing an agenda? I was just answering a question of why posters weren't bringing up DW4's good plays. BTW, when DW4 has good plays it's usually because the TEAM executed the play properly and not just because of DW4. That's discounting everybody elses hard work they put in their jobs. That narrative has been around these parts for far to long.

Therefore, when DW4 has a bad play, it's because the TEAM didn't execute the play properly because they didn't put in the hard work necessary

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Therefore, when DW4 has a bad play, it's because the TEAM didn't execute the play properly because they didn't put in the hard work necessary
It's team success and team failure.

If a guy fails at his job and it causes the rest of the crew to fail then failure ultimately lies with who's in charge. Same with success. This is nothing more than a business model. Too many failures and whoever causes the crew to fail has to be let go, or eventually everybody including the guy in charge will be let go.

This describes the BOB/Devlin relationship perfectly.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Because Carr improved and I dont think the Texans can get to where they want to go unless DW4 vastly improves and changes the way he plays. I dont see it happening so I look at this as wasted time for the Texans org.

I get what you're saying and why you think DW4 can take the Texans to where they want to go and I hope you're right and I'm wrong.
Do you think Carr vastly improved or the coaching and talent around him did?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Do you think Carr vastly improved or the coaching and talent around him did?
Both, Gruden/Mayock invested in the OL (Like the Texans did only the raiders invested in FA T. Brown/Hudson/Not Texans Worthy Incognito/ 1st rd pick Miller) Then out of the Mack trade (Very smart to not hang onto a guy they weren't going to re-sign unlike the Texans this yr) they added Jacobs/Ruggs to give Carr more weapons. I would like to say Gruden really helped Carr improve but he was pretty good before he broke his leg the yr the Texans beat the Raiders (Carr Less) in the playoffs.

Last edited:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Both, Gruden/Mayock invested in the OL (Like the Texans did only the raiders invested in FA T. Brown/Hudson/Not Texans Worthy Incognito/ 1st rd pick Miller) Then out of the Mack trade (Very smart to not hang onto a guy they weren't going to re-sign unlike the Texans this yr) they added Jacobs/Ruggs to give Carr more weapons. I would like to say Gruden really helped Carr improve but he was pretty good before he broke his legs the yr the Texans beat the Raiders (Carr Less) in the playoffs.
Think about it and thats not to say the Raiders are of SB quality but they got a 1st rd pick for Amari Cooper. The Texans got a 2nd and a bloated contract . They got 2 1st rd picks for Mack whom is a better player than Clowney, but the Texans got a 3rd for him. Tom Cable is known to be a very good oline coach also. Have you ever known Andy Reid to have bad or below avg oline play? Has he ever had an avg or below avg run game? Coaching makes a huge difference especially in today's nfl. You're going to have to coach players up because of the salary cap. The oline deteriorated every year O'Brien/Devlin has been here.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Think about it and thats not to say the Raiders are of SB quality but they got a 1st rd pick for Amari Cooper. The Texans got a 2nd and a bloated contract . They got 2 1st rd picks for Mack whom is a better player than Clowney, but the Texans got a 3rd for him. Tom Cable is known to be a very good oline coach also. Have you ever known Andy Reid to have bad or below avg oline play? Has he ever had an avg or below avg run game? Coaching makes a huge difference especially in today's nfl. You're going to have to coach players up because of the salary cap. The oline deteriorated every year O'Brien/Devlin has been here.
Yep

I said 2 or 3 yrs ago BOB's loyalty to Devlin was going to get him fired. Although it wasn't the only reason BOB was fired, Devlin was a main reason BOB was fired.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
Why do you feel the need to coddle him, an adult?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Why do you feel the need to coddle him, an adult?
Why do you and a select few choose to try and tear him down regardless of his play when he’s absolutely the only player on the team that could drag this pile of shite to any victory at all? If this is a miss of a question...please let us blind fans know who that mystery leader (coach or player) is and how they’ve made it happen.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I've seen this happen with other teams too. But not as often as with the Texans. I'm really looking forward to getting a new regime that can bring in great asst coach's so this will happen at a bear minimum. A WR coach that can develop talent would be a great start. If the Texans ownership was only willing to pay for top notch NFL experienced asst coaches alot of what's wrong with the Texans would atleast be better.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Another issue. The lone TD in the Browns game did in fact have 2 receivers in the same vicinity of the throw......luckily it yielded a TD. As for how 2 receivers wound up in the same 5 sq yd box, that's anybody's guess. But is it really a guess? How many times over OB's tenure have we watched multiple receivers wind up next to each other? Far too many times to count. Playbook errors, coaching errors, player errors........who the hail really knows other than it happens way to many times for an NFL offense.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Right at 4 seconds from the snap to throwing ..... but the narrative is Watson overcoming circumstance .... not contributing to it.
Okay. But at the 2-3 second mark do you see any WRs in the play? At 3 seconds, do you see the missed block by Johnson and the defender closing in? This calls for a shot from the All-22.

Last edited:

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Stills from this play from the all-22- Discuss...

My only criticism, and based on I can't really see where his eyes are in any of the shots, he stays on his primary read (Fuller) too long. Fuller is covered (almost triple teamed at one point) he should have moved to his second read which should have been Cobb who starts to flash open as soon as he gets by the linemane who dropped into coverage. Atkins was open the entire time but on the opposite side of the field.

All in all Duke still blew his block.

The second DW's backfoot plants on his drop...

Angle 1
1605657723302.png

Angle 2

1605657859457.png

And when he starts to scramble

Angle 1

1605658073513.png

Angle 2

1605658192094.png

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
At barely 2 seconds he's already having to acknowledge pressure from the right side, at barely 3 seconds he's launching the ball to his target, in the middle of these moments he has just that much time to decide what to do.. and he, while in the grasp of a pass rusher, drops a dime to Cobb 30 yards down field.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Stills from this play from the all-22- Discuss...
1st... this is another of those disguised coverages where they show one thing preSnap (single high man under). So it makes sense Fuller would be his first read.

Knowing Fuller is going to run in, then back out, Watson needs to watch the corner, determine how he's playing Will, & determine how to deliver the ball.

Had they maintained the single high man defense it would have been an easy throw.

But at the snap, it's more of a three deep zone under, where the CB is just trying to stay on top of will. The LBs drop & Will is basically bracketed by three defenders.

Of course my terminology is jacked, because I don't know. Feel free to correct me.

I'd like to know if that kind of rotation was something they would have identified scouting the Browns & if so how that would change Watson's approach.

Maybe in this case his first read should have been on the right side where the blitz was coming from. Knowing what Cobb is going to do he could watch 53. The way he's sliding around the middle right of the field, Cobb is open early.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
1st... this is another of those disguised coverages where they show one thing preSnap (single high man under). So it makes sense Fuller would be his first read.

Knowing Fuller is going to run in, then back out, Watson needs to watch the corner, determine how he's playing Will, & determine how to deliver the ball.

Had they maintained the single high man defense it would have been an easy throw.

But at the snap, it's more of a three deep zone under, where the CB is just trying to stay on top of will. The LBs drop & Will is basically bracketed by three defenders.

Of course my terminology is jacked, because I don't know. Feel free to correct me.

I'd like to know if that kind of rotation was something they would have identified scouting the Browns & if so how that would change Watson's approach.

Maybe in this case his first read should have been on the right side where the blitz was coming from. Knowing what Cobb is going to do he could watch 53. The way he's sliding around the middle right of the field, Cobb is open early.
The play design and play call was to Fuller. I see this a lot in every offense from HS to the professional level. I’m in complete agreement with you assessment here. But sometimes they will run exactly what was called. Sometimes they will go through their progression and sometimes they will audible.
I guess he liked what he saw at presnap, But like you said the defense changed the coverage. So you don’t have a lot of time there. Especially when the pocket is collapsing around you so fast.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I guess he liked what he say at presnap, But like you said the defense changed the coverage. So you don’t have a lot of time there. Especially when the pocket is collapsing around you so fast.
This is why I asked if this post snap rotation was something they scouted when preparing for the Browns, & if so what was the plan to attack it?

This is one of the things Watson needs help for. Not the kind of thing "the Clemson offense" would prepare you for.