Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The all encompassing DW4 good plays thread

Whether you like him or you don’t, whether you think he can lead a team to the Super Bowl or you don’t, if you’re a true Texans fan you should hope Watson continues to play like he did against New England. For one, that gives the Texans the best opportunity to win football games. And two, he’s the biggest draw to bringing coaching talent in to the organization. He may be the only reason for a reputable HC to come here. Lastly, for those of us who don’t have a problem with Watson, he’s entertaining to watch.

if you’re a true Texans fan you should hope Watson continues to play like he did against New England.

Just how he played against New England? You realize that in his last 6 games, all without OB, he’s completed 71% of his passes, has a 14/2 TD/INT ratio, with zero turnovers in 5 straight games, is averaging 298 yards per game, and has a 115 passer rating, right?

Dude has been doing this for a while, not just against New England. Don’t know what else this guy has to do for some of y’all.

Panties get in a wad when Jesus in cleats is mentioned by someone, but people sure act like he needs to play like Jesus in cleats.

Just how he played against New England? You realize that in his last 6 games, all without OB, he’s completed 71% of his passes, has a 14/2 TD/INT ratio, with zero turnovers in 5 straight games, is averaging 298 yards per game, and has a 115 passer rating, right?

Dude has been doing this for a while, not just against New England. Don’t know what else this guy has to do for some of y’all.

Panties get in a wad when Jesus in cleats is mentioned by someone, but people sure act like he needs to play like Jesus in cleats.
"Some of y'all"? WTF are you talking about? I created this thread, for crying out loud. Weeks ago...lol!

He's been playing at a high level since O'Brien left. I know that. Against New England, though, he looked as comfortable and in command as he has ever looked. Ever! That's why I specifically pointed to that game. That, and because that was the most recent game. So chill out.

He's been playing at a high level since O'Brien left. I know that. Against New England, though, he looked as comfortable and in command as he has ever looked. Ever! That's why I specifically pointed to that game.
Speaking of chilling out, Green Bay & the Patriots pass defense are the best we’ve faced since O’Brien left. But they’re still middle of the pack.

The Bears & Colts (who we will be playing soon) are more comparable to the Ravens, Chiefs, & Steelers.

In the loop just played parts of a Rick Smith/Adam Schefter interview with Rick explaining the way drafting Watson came about. Answers some of the questions regarding that, but presents a few others. Take a listen it starts around 12:40ish

Not sure what other questions it presents

Not sure what other questions it presents
He says absolutely nothing about the Texans wanting Mahomes. No shock or disappointment about KC going to get him at 10. Or any discussion about moving up to get Mahomes. Or a, “we didn’t get Mahomes might as well get our 2nd choice “

He makes it seem as if they had no plans to move up to get a QB, which seems odd with the directive they were given.

He says absolutely nothing about the Texans wanting Mahomes. No shock or disappointment about KC going to get him at 10. Or any discussion about moving up to get Mahomes. Or a, “we didn’t get Mahomes might as well get our 2nd choice “

He makes it seem as if they had no plans to move up to get a QB, which seems odd with the directive they were given.

He didn't want Mahomes, he wanted Watson

He clearly stated that he had the plan to move up and the details worked out before he went to the draft room

He clearly stated that he had the plan to move up and the details worked out before he went to the draft room
Clearly.

The Texans walked into the war room on draft day with no plan (as a boardroom group) to trade up to get a QB.

He doesn’t speak of any disappointment of any Texans when Mahomes came off the board.

So the questions I now have,wasn’t it reported the Texans wanted Mahomes.

If the owner is telling them to get a QB, why didn’t anyone want to trade up for a QB?

Maybe the others in the room would support trading up for Mahomes. & maybe he is saying there was no interest in trading up for Watson specifically. I don’t know. But that’s another question this sound bite raises.

Clearly.

The Texans walked into the war room on draft day with no plan (as a boardroom group) to trade up to get a QB.

He doesn’t speak of any disappointment of any Texans when Mahomes came off the board.

So the questions I now have,wasn’t it reported the Texans wanted Mahomes.

If the owner is telling them to get a QB, why didn’t anyone want to trade up for a QB?

Maybe the others in the room would support trading up for Mahomes. & maybe he is saying there was no interest in trading up for Watson specifically. I don’t know. But that’s another question this sound bite raises.

Just remember that ES is the teflon man and will say just about anything to present himself in a better light. Now we know why BOB liked the way he did in that pic, he wanted Mahomes and ES wanted DW4. RS won that boardroom battle. It's decisions like this is why RS can't get a job in the NFL. Nobody wants to work with him.

Now we know why BOB liked the way he did in that pic, he wanted Mahomes and ES wanted DW4. RS won that boardroom battle.
I wouldn’t say ES won the boardroom battle. Things might have worked out his way since Mahomes was off the board when they picked.

Still, if that was the decision he could have just said the decision was made to go to twelve, one guy was there, the other wasn’t.

Now, looking forward as many of us are hoping we get a GM who hires the HC. Are you hoping we get a HC who brings in a GM?

I wouldn’t say ES won the boardroom battle. Things might have worked out his way since Mahomes was off the board when they picked.

Still, if that was the decision he could have just said the decision was made to go to twelve, one guy was there, the other wasn’t.

Now, looking forward as many of us are hoping we get a GM who hires the HC. Are you hoping we get a HC who brings in a GM?

I'm hoping they get a GM that's a great talent evaluator and a GM that's on the same page as the HC.

With this hiring committee I have little hope of this happening or the boardroom style of mgmt changing.

But you know they say about a blind squirrel and finding nuts.

"Some of y'all"? WTF are you talking about? I created this thread, for crying out loud. Weeks ago...lol!

Didn't mean to direct that at you specifically. That was more of a you in general. Apologies.

He's been playing at a high level since O'Brien left. I know that. Against New England, though, he looked as comfortable and in command as he has ever looked. Ever! That's why I specifically pointed to that game. That, and because that was the most recent game. So chill out.

Against New England he actually had time for a change instead of running for his life before he ends his drop back, in the shotgun, mind you. So yeah, of course he looked comfortable. I mentioned somewhere else, get this guy a half way decent line and look out.

Last edited:

I found it interesting that no one in the room was vocal about Mahomes. In fact, the room did not want to move up. So, if Smith followed the room, they would have probably missed Mahomes and Watson. Go figure. So, much for the room having any strong opinions about drafting Mahomes.

I found it interesting that no one in the room was vocal about Mahomes. In fact, the room did not want to move up. So, if Smith followed the room, they would have probably missed Mahomes and Watson. Go figure. So, much for the room having any strong opinions about drafting Mahomes.

I don't think anyone in the room(other than RS) expected either to go before their pick... and it was RS's job on the line, not theirs

Another important detail I heard was RS said that he mentioned the trade with BOB and he was on board. This goes against the notion that Watson was forced onto BOB.

It would have been interesting if Cleveland didn't make that deal with RS. The Cardinals picked LB Haason Reddick. But Arians is on record that if Watson was there, they would have taken him at 13.

You would have seen Mahomes vs Watson in the Super Bowl last year. Arians vs Reid. Two of the best minds offensively in the game today. Two of the most talented young and upcoming QBs in the NFL.

Would have been great. One for the ages.

Instead we got OB who stunted DWs growth.

Let's say they disagree on one player. Who makes the call? Who should have final say.

The GM, but if the turns out to make the wrong call then next time I would put more value in the HC's opinion. Really the GM should hire the HC he wants so this kind of stuff doesn't happen. Not the committee bs that permeates the Texans org.

Last edited:
I’ve had a heck of a week and was forced to watch the game on a small screen with a crappy picture, which is unfortunate because from what I saw Watson was playing with a lot of poise.

I commented a couple of weeks back that I thought DW was playing more like a seasoned veteran, we had one of those games in the interim where the game plan was terrible from the outset, and then this performance against the Patriots where he looked like he’s coming along leaps and bounds right now.

Tim Kelly needs to find a way to bring a gameplan that Watson can be that comfortable in every week. I’m hoping to see better consistency for the remainder of the season, with he schedule we have, there’s no reason we shouldn’t look good from here on.

The GM, but if he turns oyto make the wrong call then next time I would put more value in the HC's opinion. Really the GM should hire the HC he wants so this kind of stuff doesn't happen. Not the committee bs that permeates the Texans org.
Just wondering why you give Rick a hard time getting players (QB) he didn’t want.

Especially after the Brian Hoyer fiasco.

I give BO’b props for winning hamstrung with Brock. But for him to be so opposed to working with the guy that we trade him away to the detriment of the team?

That’s too far. Then do the same thing with Clowney... Hopkins may have been something totally different, but it stinks of the same stink.

Nobody in that room wanted to trade up to 12 for either QB. Mahomes was off the board at 10. Sorry Bo’b you’re getting Watson.

GMs get players. Coaches coach. I’m personally tired of coaches proving our GM wrong & that goes beyond O’Brien.

Last edited:
I know this is a volatile topic - and its a fluid subject in my eyes...his performance against Cleveland was lacking. His performance against the pats was damn good.

I've seen this coaching staff fail dw with ridiculous calls and schemes. Ive seen this defense roll over while offering up a gallon of ky. I've seen the talent around our qb suck directly effecting his performance.

And ive seen dw make bad throws and hold the ball to long...

But he still makes plays that shouldn't happen. He still has magic as far as I'm concerned.

Dw isn't going to Brady or Peyton his way single handedly to a championship. He'll need solid coaching and a strong supporting cast ,but he's still good enough right now to put us in contention.

I think he's easily the best qb in our franchise history. Let's not "carr him."

I know this is a volatile topic - and its a fluid subject in my eyes...his performance against Cleveland was lacking. His performance against the pats was damn good.

I've seen this coaching staff fail dw with ridiculous calls and schemes. Ive seen this defense roll over while offering up a gallon of ky. I've seen tbhe talent around our qb suck directly effecting his performance.

But he still makes plays that shouldn't happen. He still has magic as far as I'm concerned.

Dw isn't going to Brady or Peyton his way single handedly to a championship. He'll need solid coaching and a strong supporting cast ,but he's still good enough right now to put us in contention.

I agree with just about every word here. Little pushback on the Cleveland game because the weather was exceptionally ridiculous. Mayfield looked worse, not that that's saying much. But I don't know what even Mahomes or Rodgers would do in massive wind, cold, rain, and hail. That said, on the whole I agree with just about everything here.

And if I'm picking nits here please say so, but when did Brady or Peyton hoist a championship without solid coaching and a strong supporting cast?

I agree with just about every word here. Little pushback on the Cleveland game because the weather was exceptionally ridiculous. Mayfield looked worse, not that that's saying much. But I don't know what even Mahomes or Rodgers would do in massive wind, cold, rain, and hail. That said, on the whole I agree with just about everything here.

And if I'm picking nits here please say so, but when did Brady or Peyton hoist a championship without solid coaching and a strong supporting cast?

I never considered the offensive skill players around Brady great or Peyton's defenses to be super. I could be wrong and maybe its debatable - but its why I say what I do.

I think brady and manning are the 2 best ever. I think they were talented enough to win with a variety of talent. Dw isn't there...

But he's good.

I never considered the offensive skill players around Brady great or Peyton's defenses to be super. I could be wrong and maybe its debatable - but its why I say what I do.

If you wanna take a sec, check out the playoff runs of any of their super bowls - any of them - and tell me they single handedly did squat. I think you might be surprised.

Tom always had solid defenses and a sound af playcalling scheme by the GOAT HC.

Peyton had tons of offensive talent with a brick wall in front of him the majority of the time with just the right D personnel to help him get over the top when he finally did it.

Just saying bud, no one in this game does it single handedly.

If you wanna take a sec, check out the playoff runs of any of their super bowls - any of them - and tell me they single handedly did squat. I think you might be surprised.

Tom always had solid defenses and a sound af playcalling scheme by the GOAT HC.

Peyton had tons of offensive talent with a brick wall in front of him the majority of the time with just the right D personnel to help him get over the top when he finally did it.

Just saying bud, no one in this game does it single handedly.

I get it. If you'll notice, I pointed out bradys offense and mannings defense specifically...

I think they were efficient. Not juggernauts from a talent standpoint.

For real, bud.. check out Brady's and Manning's SB playoff runs -

'01, '03, '04, '014, '16, '18 for Tom.. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/gamelog/post/

'06, '15 for Peyton.. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/gamelog/post/

They had tons of help. Tons, bro.

Would be great to get a marquee gm in here who could find talent.

Easterling is not it and if he can't pick the right people and step aside, his Rasputin azz needs to go.

Would be great to get a marquee gm in here who could find talent.

Easterling is not it and if he can't pick the right people and step aside, his Rasputin azz needs to go.

There's something we couldn't possibly agree more on. I don't believe Padre Jack will be in the same role next year.

Nonetheless my confidence in the powers that be to find the right GM and HC to right this wayward batch of bs isn't exactly positive at the moment. Fingers crossed though I suppose.

There's something we couldn't possibly agree more on. I don't believe Padre Jack will be in the same role next year.

Nonetheless my confidence in the powers that be to find the right GM and HC to right this wayward batch of bs isn't exactly positive at the moment. Fingers crossed though I suppose.

Lil something about me personally, I'm a glass half empty guy. I assume and expect the worst in every outcome. It prepares me for the inevitable more often then not.

I fully expect us to pick a **** gm and **** hc who leads us to 5 more years of mediocrity.

For me, an AFC championship game would be more glorious then any of you can imagine.

I won't hold my breath.

I have no faith in our ownership and picking the right people would be purely chance imo.

I think he's progressing leaps & bounds even in the circumstances he finds himself. I think it's truly remarkable what he's been able to do considering what he has to work with.

I think Mahomes' success has some of us Jaded. Watson is in his fourth season, meaning he's only been playing in the NFL for three years & his first season was cut short. So I don't see how anyone can see what he's doing after two and a half seasons & say, "He's not going to make it."

Preposterous.

I don't know if this team will ever fix everything that needs to be fixed, but Watson is going to make our next HC look like a GOAT. Well, maybe GOAT(b) next to Reid.

Makes you wonder what Patriot fans thought about Robert Craft in 2001

I've seen this coaching staff fail dw with ridiculous calls and schemes. Ive seen this defense roll over while offering up a gallon of ky. I've seen the talent around our qb suck directly effecting his performance.

Look at the other recent game in CLE, week 8, Raiders vs Browns. Derek Carr is having a good season, but had his lowest passing yardage in his career because of the weather. He was 15/24 for 111 yards. Raiders won because Josh Jacobs ran for 129 yards.

Watson doesn't have a run game he can rely on. The weather took away the deep ball. The offense was pretty much one-dimensional, having to rely on the short passes.

A lack of a run game is going to really hurt the Texans in those types of conditions.

Back