Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The all encompassing DW4 good plays thread

The fact that he was ranked the 2nd best QB? And given an early round pick rating. As stated in the Scouting Report "a QB needy team may take him at any point in the first round".

Sum of that: He feels he is 2nd best and a 3rd grade. But as always a team will snag a player they like even too soon. Look at any draft and you hear about player "X" and "Y" taken too early.

The fact that he was ranked the 2nd best QB? And given an early round pick rating. As stated in the Scouting Report "a QB needy team may take him at any point in the first round".

Sum of that: He feels he is 2nd best and a 3rd grade. But as always a team will snag a player they like even too soon. Look at any draft and you hear about player "X" and "Y" taken too early.

Have you thought about changing your name?

You mean like those few who are underrating Watson now?

And Watson may have had a better team when he started, but that team has quickly gotten worse since. And he definitely had worse coaching and a worse scheme.

And here's some more fun with numbers.

WatsonComp. %TDINTPasser RatingY/ARush YardsPoints p/Gm
1st 4 Gms w/OB65.6%6398.28.55820
Lst 4 Gms w/o OB70.6%112118.28.913928.2

You are aware that it is the same system right? They only tossed out a little and added a little

Taken from Walter Football, 2017 scouting report on Watson. All you have to do is Google Walter Football Watson Scouting Report

In this draft analyst's opinion, I would grade Watson as a third-round pick for the 2017 NFL Draft. Watson was off with his accuracy for much of 2016, displaying poor ball placement, especially when going downfield. He missed a lot of potential touchdowns as a result. Watson has a lot of room for improvement with his field vision, ball placement, and accuracy. There were instances where he flashed accuracy, but he had too many missed and poorly placed throws. Watson was better down the stretch in 2016, but he still has room for improvement in his accuracy for the NFL.

Watson has some strengths for the NFL that cause many to compare him to Dak Prescott. Like Prescott, Watson has great intangibles as a hard worker with good character off the field and leadership in the locker room. They both bring toughness and mobility to the table. When plays break down, they can use his athleticism to pick up yards on the ground and also can avoid sacks.

Where the comparison breaks down is in terms of accuracy and ball security. Prescott was much more accurate in college and threw far less interceptions. Prescott threw only five interceptions as a senior with 11 as a junior. Thus, Watson threw more interceptions (17) in 2016 than Prescott did in his final two years combined.

There are a lot of growth issues that Watson will need development for in the NFL - aside from his passing skills. Watson is also going to need to learn how to work under center, call plays in a huddle, and develop his footwork to make drops from being under center. His college offense has a lot of quick throws, screens, and designed runs that inflated his numbers but don't translate to the NFL. Some NFL sources believe that Watson is going to need his pro offense to be catered to him and that he could have issues fitting a NFL system.

In speaking with sources from teams around the NFL, their grades on Watson didn't match the media hype that he has received. I surveyed many teams to see where their initial draft grades were for Watson. Two playoff teams told me they had third-round grades on Watson. One said it was on the low end as a third- to fourth-rounder. Another playoff team told Walt that they had a third-round grade on Watson. Two other teams said they had second-round grades on Watson. All that being said, teams believe that Watson could be a late first-round quarterback, similar to Teddy Bridgewater, because of the dire need at the position across the NFL. A team could move back into the first round for Watson like Bridgewater. A general manager of an AFC team said that in the draft meetings in April, Watson will benefit from the 'Dak Prescott effect' and rise. Thus, it wouldn't surprise anyone if Watson is taken in the middle of the first round during the 2017 NFL Draft.

Just because most teams have Watson graded on the second day or mid-rounds doesn't mean that he won't go in the first round. Last year, many teams had second-round grades on Jared Goff, yet the Rams traded up to the first-overall pick for him. There were teams that had mid-round grades on E.J. Manuel and fourth-round grades on Christian Ponder, yet both of them went as top-16 picks in their NFL drafts. Many teams had second-round grades on Teddy Bridgewater, yet he went late in Round 1. Thus, you can't rule out that a quarterback-needy team won't be desperate enough to take Watson at any point in the first round

Yeah, Watson has improved leaps & bounds since that scouting report. We’ve complained for 4 years there isn’t enough quick game in our game plan. Not enough slants or quick routs.

So, he’s very well adapted to the NFL & running an NFL offense. He doesn’t play much under center, but I’m not sold that he is the limiting factor there.

He’s among the best deep ball throwers in the league. PERIOD.

His completion percentage is high, ypa high, TD/INT ratio pretty good.

I was concerned with the rate he threw interceptions in college, but not any more. The kid has adapted very well to the NFL.

unfortunately he’s had to do it the hard way.

I wasn't making a comparison at all .... Just saying that it can be argued that Schaub was the better QB. It's not crazy to make that statement ....

You can argue it all you want. Just make sure include everything each QB had to work with.
In 2012, Schaub had a 1,400 yard RB who scored 15 TDs. He had a 1,598 yard WR. And he had an OL with 3 Pro Bowlers that year, including an All Pro. Not to mention a top 10 defense and a coach that knew how to put players in positions to succeed.

Other than the WR, which got taken away from him, Watson doesn't have any of that, and he's still putting up numbers that put him the 5-10 range.

So argue away.

Yeah, and they had Trubisky at no. 1 and Mahomes at no. 3 , behind Watson.

I found a thread on Schaub in 2011.

And one in early 2013.
(At the conclusion of the 2012 season).

And one in early 2013.
(At the conclusion of the 2012 season).

But...

Check the win loss column?

Is no one else bothered by this enigma guy?

You can argue it all you want. Just make sure include everything each QB had to work with.
In 2012, Schaub had a 1,400 yard RB who scored 15 TDs. He had a 1,598 yard WR. And he had an OL with 3 Pro Bowlers that year, including an All Pro. Not to mention a top 10 defense and a coach that knew how to put players in positions to succeed.

Other than the WR, which got taken away from him, Watson doesn't have any of that, and he's still putting up numbers that put him the 5-10 range.

So argue away.
1605147927081.gif

I laughed too. He wants to use the WalteFootball scouting report for Watson and hold Watson to their evaluation, but wants to ignore their evaluation of Trubisky and Mahomes. In other words, they were wrong about Trubisky and Mahomes, but they were spot on about Watson.

That's because its beneficial to his specific agenda,that backs up his claim on Watson not improving. Maverick complained about me not respecting their opinions. But imo this is not an opinion. This is a person who is trying tell people that he is 1000% accurate because of this Watler report supposedly being spot on. In his deliberations, he's not factoring anything that could stunt any players growth.

That's because its beneficial to his specific agenda,that backs up his claim on Watson not improving. Maverick complained about me not respecting their opinions. But imo this is not an opinion. This is a person who is trying tell people that he is 1000% accurate because of this Watler report supposedly being spot on. In his deliberations, he's not factoring anything that could stunt any players growth.

No it's because it's true.

I am not posting in the JJ Watt thread or I could use a report for him or an OL player...and so on

No it's because it's true.

I am not posting in the JJ Watt thread or I could use a report for him or an OL player...and so on

Your opinion is well respected but please stop acting as if it’s true. Thunder has already posted the things he has improved on. That’s even with the nonsense going on around him. Terrible line play and no freaking run game. That should be praised verse trying to prove he hasn’t improved. It actually makes you look like a hater. This particular thread suppose to be about the good he’s done.

Last edited:

So argue away.

I really don't get why some people get so defensive over anything that isn't high praise for Watson .... Saying it could be argued that Schaub was a better QB is no knock on Watson at all.

I really don't get why some people get so defensive over anything that isn't high praise for Watson .... Saying it could be argued that Schaub was a better QB is no knock on Watson at all.

Why do people get all defensive when people do praise Watson? This thread suppose to be about the good and yet we have the select few arguing otherwise or either bringing up other quarterbacks.

What's not true about that scouting report?

Speaking about agendas.

Why do people get all defensive when people do praise Watson? This thread suppose to be about the good and yet we have the select few arguing otherwise or either bringing up other quarterbacks.

Leebigez asked me for a list of QB's I thought were SB caliber QB's. This really has nothing to do with DW4.

Tell me what's been good about DW4 over the last 13 games? Also what you think he needs to improve on? I mean he's been in the NFL for 4 yrs, it's not like he's a wet behind the ears rookie.

Untrue. You have people who are not in agreement with certain things said. But the DW flavor koolaid keeps them from seeing the faults. I wanted Watson, I was glad we got him. He has torn up many games and played amazing. Yet other things are still issues and to be elite as a player and team you have to fix them. I don't give passes just because a guy is hot and cold. As fans nobody should be doing that.

Untrue. You have people who are not in agreement with certain things said. But the DW flavor koolaid keeps them from seeing the faults. I wanted Watson, I was glad we got him. He has torn up many games and played amazing. Yet other things are still issues and to be elite as a player and team you have to fix them. I don't give passes just because a guy is hot and cold. As fans nobody should be doing that.

Name.

Change.

Because posters point out scouting reports that reflect DW4's current play, that doesn't mean they're being defensive. The DW4 fans only are the posters that are being defensive. I would say DW4's the best QB the Texans have had, but the bar is set extremely low.

Last edited:
It isn't about him not getting high praise. It's about him getting raked over the coals to the point that people think Matt freaking Schaub is a better QB. Just because somebody argues it, doesn't make it a valid point.

We see every single play Watson makes. And that means we're going to see all of his bad plays as well. But then people try to start comparing him to QBs they don't see every single play of and not realizing ALL QBs make plenty of bad plays in games. Including the great Patrick Mahomes, whom I just showed has a much worse bad throw percentage than Watson. I mean, enough of this expecting the man to be perfection or bust already. He's in his 4th freaking year. Tell me again what Drew Brees was doing by his 4th year. I'll save you the trouble. .500 record vs. Watsons .577. 61.3% completion percentage for Brees, 67.1% DW4. 56 TD Brees, 88 TD Watson. 38 INT Brees, 34 INT Watson. 83.2 passer rating Brees, 102.4 Watson. I don't remember what exactly Brees' situation was in San Diego, but I know when he got to something different, something better for him, he exploded. I know the situation Watson is in, and it hasn't been good, yet Watson is still putting up numbers that make him arguably a 5-10 QB in this league right now. Imagine him getting into a better situation.

And oh, BTW, Schaub NEVER had a 100 passer rating season. 102 is Watson for his career. So let's go ahead and end that stupid argument.

So it's not really about getting defensive for Watson, it's for dismissing all of this bogus bullshit being thrown out there about him. Tannehill is better, Schaub is better. **** all of that nonsense.

In a nutshell Speedy just summarized it all up. If you don't think he's complaining about the negativity and derailment of another thread. Then I don't know what is. Lol

Speedy drops the mic

Watson has a 26-19 record. 27-21 if you include playoffs. If we’re going to throw numbers out there, lets at least get them right.

The numbers I included were just his starts and not the overall team record since his arrival....including playoff games.

2017 Regular Season
GP- 07 / GS- 06 / W-L. 3-3

2018 Regular Season
GP- 16 / GS- 16 / W-L. 11-5
2018 Playoffs
GP- 01 / GS- 01 / W-L. 0-1

2019 Regular Season
GP- 15 / GS- 15 / W-L. 10-5
2019 Playoffs
GP- 02 / GS- 02 / W-L. 1-1

2020 Regular Season
GP- 08 / GS- 08 / W-L. 2-6

Watson's record as starting QB for the Texans;
27-21

I counted the 2020 season's first 5 games twice......28-25 mistake.

Last edited:
We’re four years in joker and y’all are still bringing up the freaking scouting report. Wow you fans are unbelievable and way off course here.

Darn good job deflecting and derailing yet another thread with your negatives.

Kinda like you keep bringing up the RPO/Clemson offense?

The scouting report is what it is and if your honest DW4's career has played out like that scouting report. Hopefully the reason for this is totally on BOB and a new regime can fix DW4's issues but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Back