Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texian's 2022 Texans Mock Draft

So you're taking Todd Blackledge and passing on Dan Marino?
I hope not. Since it's early in the draft I'm looking more for a John Elway or Jim Kelly. It's no secret that you have a dislike for the Georgia DL, #1 Defense and National Champions. So it does not come as a surprise to see your negative comments about the sensational Georgia Bulldogs DL. I've come to expect it.

Last edited:
It's no secret that you have a dislike for the Georgia DL, #1 Defense and National Champions.
And who can forget about the iconic 2006 USC offense? 8 players drafted, 5 in the top 45, 2 in the top 10. There will never be a draft class that good.

And who can forget about the iconic 2006 USC offense? 8 players drafted, 5 in the top 45, 2 in the top 10. There will never be a draft class that good.
I guess I forgot. By my recollection that USC offense lost to Texas Longhorn's in the Natl Championship game. None really came with that wow, or it factor. I don't remember the USC players making the NFL Combine the USC show. IIRC they had Reggie Bush on the sidelines for a 4th and 1 and Brian Cushing was on the sidelines for passing downs. That USC team was more media hype than anything else. I do believe that entire USC season was vacated, was it not?

I guess I forgot. By my recollection that USC offense lost to Texas Longhorn's in the Natl Championship game. None really came with that wow, or it factor.
No wow or it factor? The same offense that averaged 49.8 ppg, the same offense that won the National Championship with the same players the previous season, the same offense with 2 Heisman winners.

Me thinks your memory is a bit foggy. I've heard this stuff made of jellyfish helps.

Great college teams don't necessarily spawn great pro players.

No wow or it factor? The same offense that averaged 49.8 ppg, the same offense that won the National Championship with the same players the previous season, the same offense with 2 Heisman winners.

Me thinks your memory is a bit foggy. I've heard this stuff made of jellyfish helps.

Great college teams don't necessarily spawn great pro players.
was it not?

I'm all too happy to make the following 1st RD trade backs in the upcoming draft with QB desperate teams;

Carolina #6 and 2023 1st RD pick; for #3

Atlanta #8 and #43 and 2023 1st RD draft pick; Texans trade #3 and #80 to ATL.

Seattle #9 and #41 and 2023 1st RD draft pick; Texans trade #3 and #80 to SEA.

Pittsburgh #20, #52 and 2023 1st RD draft pick. Texans #3

Still wavering on PIT.

I've always said in desperate times, desperate people, do desperate things. Hello Jimmy Haslam.

Last edited:
THIS IS THE YEAR TEXANS FIND THE PLAYERS TO BECOME A TOP 3 DEFENSE.

#3 - Travon Walker, DE
#13 - Jordan Davis, DT or DeVonte Wyatt, DT
#37 - Skyy Moore, WR
(#44 - A what if - Browns 2nd RD - Arnold Ebiketic, Edge)
#68 - Kerby Joseph, S
#80 - Quay Walker, LB
#108 - Zamir White, RB
TRADE: #183 and #205 to move to #167
#167 - Justin Schaffer, G
#208 - Charlie Kolar, TE
#246 - Doug Kramer, C

This is the deepest DL draft in decades, so you capitalize. You may never see a chance like this again. Consider it like this, this is the 1983 QB draft but it is DL instead and you have 7 position you can fill not 1.
SUBJECT TO CHANGE BEFORE THE DRAFT

THIS IS THE YEAR TEXANS FIND THE PLAYERS TO BECOME A TOP 3 DEFENSE.

#3 - Travon Walker, DE
#13 - Jordan Davis, DT or DeVonte Wyatt, DT
#37 - Skyy Moore, WR
(#44 - A what if - Browns 2nd RD - Arnold Ebiketic, Edge)
#68 - Kerby Joseph, S
#80 - Quay Walker, LB
#108 - Zamir White, RB
TRADE: #183 and #205 to move to #167
#167 - Justin Schaffer, G
#208 - Charlie Kolar, TE
#246 - Doug Kramer, C

This is the deepest DL draft in decades, so you capitalize. You may never see a chance like this again. Consider it like this, this is the 1983 QB draft but it is DL instead and you have 7 position you can fill not 1.
SUBJECT TO CHANGE BEFORE THE DRAFT

Being that it's the deepest DL draft in decades, any thought of not going DL with both 1st rounders, and getting the second one deeper in the draft?

Being that it's the deepest DL draft in decades, any thought of not going DL with both 1st rounders, and getting the second one deeper in the draft?
No because the (3) Geogia DL are rare breed, this would give the Texans a front 4 that would wreak havoc in opponents backfields. There is a considerable drop off after that although there are still good serviceable DL out there. I count 8 1st rounders. I wouldn't sacrifice Skyy Moore at #37 because I think he can be another Steve Smith. Trading up for Quay Walker in the 2nd RD gives the Texan one of the best front 7s in the league that would play together for 5 years .

Last edited:
No because the (3) Geogia DL are rare breed, this would give the Texans a front 4 that would wreak havoc in opponents backfields
& it’s very important to get some dictators on the front 4 for Lovie’s defense.

He’s very blitz averse.

I might be one of the only one out there who feels DT- Travis Jones (Connecticut) could be as good and dominant as any of the Georgia DL in the draft. His production in the Senior Bowl certainly solidified what many had seen from his 3 year CFB career. He didn’t disappoint at the Combine either.

6-4” / 325 lbs / 34.25” Arms / 10.25” Hands / 4.92-40 / 110” Broad Jump / 28.50” Vertical

For a man of his size….I’d rate him as pretty damm athletic. Even crazier, the 325 lbs he carries on his frame is said to be only 13% body fat. They also say he can bench 455 lbs and pumped 225 lbs 32 times. He can squat 615 lbs as well. I would like to say this is a moldable athlete that Lovie Smith can put the finishing touches on, thus creating an absolute monster for the middle of his 4-3 alignment.

I might be one of the only one out there who feels DT- Travis Jones (Connecticut) could be as good and dominant as any of the Georgia DL in the draft. His production in the Senior Bowl certainly solidified what many had seen from his 3 year CFB career. He didn’t disappoint at the Combine either.

6-4” / 325 lbs / 34.25” Arms / 10.25” Hands / 4.92-40 / 110” Broad Jump / 28.50” Vertical

For a man of his size….I’d rate him as pretty damm athletic. Even crazier, the 325 lbs he carries on his frame is said to be only 13% body fat. They also say he can bench 455 lbs and pumped 225 lbs 32 times. He can squat 615 lbs as well. I would like to say this is a moldable athlete that Lovie Smith can put the finishing touches on, thus creating an absolute monster for the middle of his 4-3 alignment.
No doubt I love the guy, he's definitely very high on my radar as is Arnold Ebiketic, edge PSU. Both of these guys were right there behind the Georgia trio. I like Skyy Moore enough I wouldn't move him off of #37. If Texans were to get Skyy then Jones and Ebiketic would be long gone by the Texans next pick.

& it’s very important to get some dictators on the front 4 for Lovie’s defense.

He’s very blitz averse.
True, Lovie has said his Defense lives and dies with the front four. They are the catalyst to what makes his defense works. I understand because if you can get pressure in the backfield with only four players it certainly frees up things for the seven guys behind them.

even more rumors

Remember though we are now entering draft season of true rumors, that will become false on April 28-30
Theis is certainly something I am afraid of. The more you know, and the deeper you dive into Walker, it all begins to make sense. Much to my dismay I would be surprised in Walker was not announced as the first pick in the NFL draft. The fact that Walker was the star of the Combine I don't think this is any silly draft misdirection.

I'm all too happy to make the following 1st RD trade backs in the upcoming draft with QB desperate teams;

Carolina #6 and 2023 1st RD pick; for Texans #3

Atlanta #8 and #43 and 2023 1st RD draft pick; Texans trade #3 and #80 to ATL.

Seattle #9 and #41 and 2023 1st RD draft pick; Texans trade #3 and #80 to SEA.

Pittsburgh #20, #52 and 2023 1st RD draft pick. Texans #3

Still wavering on PIT.

I've always said in desperate times, desperate people, do desperate things. Hello Jimmy Haslam.
Another 1st RD trade back I would consider:
Pittsburgh #20 and #52; for Texans #13.

Last edited:
#3 - 3a = Travon Walker, DE/Edge; 3b = Charles Cross, OT; 3c = Devonte Wyatt, DT.
#13 - 13a = Devonte Wyatt, DE; 13b = Jordan Davis, NT; 13c = Tyler Linderbaum, C
#37 - 37a = Skyy Moore, WR; 37b = Quay Walker, LB; 37c = Arnold Ebiketie, EDGE
#68 - 68a = Quay Walker, LB; 68b = Kyler Gordon, CB; 68c = Jamaree Salyer, OG
#80 - 80a = Tyler Smith, OT; 80b = Dylan Parham; OG 80c = John Metchie, WR
#107 - 107a = Zach Tom, OG; 107b = Luke Goedeke, OL; 107c = James Cook, RB
#108 - 108a - James Cook, RB; 108b - Zamire White RB; 108c = Tyler Algeier RB.
#167 - 167a -Matt Araiza, P/K

This does not change much if at all with a trade back with Carolina at #6.
Mocks with Trades with Atlanta, Seattle and Pittsburgh coming soon.

Last edited:
#3 - 3a = Travon Walker, DE/Edge; 3b = Charles Cross, OT; 3c = Devonte Wyatt, DT.
#13 - 13a = Devonte Wyatt, DE; 13b = Jordan Davis, NT; 13c = Tyler Linderbaum, C
#68 - 68a = Quay Walker, LB; 68b = Kyler Gordon, CB; 68c = Jamaree Salyer, OG

This does not change much if at all with a trade back with Carolina at #6.
Mocks with Trades with Atlanta, Seattle and Pittsburgh coming soon.
If I am picking at #3, the only players I will contemplate taking there are:-
Kyle Hamilton
Evan Neal
Ahmed Gardner
Kayvon Thibodeaux
Ikem Ekwonu
Aiden Hutchinson

Walker, Cross and Wyatt all at #13, but even there, I will take Davis first if he is still there.

Mock trade with Atlanta #8 and #43 and 2023 1st RD draft pick; Texans trade #3 and #80 to ATL.

Mock trade with Seattle #9 and #41 and 2023 1st RD draft pick; Texans trade #3 and #80 to SEA.

#8 - 8a. = Travon Walker DE/Edge; 8b = Charles Cross, LT; 8C = DeVonte Wyatt, DT
#13 - 13a = DeVonte Wyatt; 13b = Jordan Davis, NT; 13c = Tyler Linderbaum, C
#43 - 43a = Quay Walker, LB; 43b = Logan Hall, DE/Edge; 43c = Roger McCreary, CB
#68 - 68a = Kyler Gordon, CB; 68b = Tyler Smith OT; 68c = Jamaree Salyer, OG; 68c

Mock trade with Pittsburgh #20, #52 and 2023 1st RD draft pick; PIT gets Texans #3

#13 - 13a = DeVante Wyatt, DT 13b = Jordan Davis, NT; 13c = Tyler Lindbaum, C
#20 - 20a = Tyler Lindbaum, 20b = Jermaine Johnson, Edge; 20c = Andrew Booth, CB
#53 - 52a = Quay Walker, LB; 52b Logan Hall, DE/Edge; 52c = Roger McCreary, CB; 52c
#68 - 68a = Kyler Gordon, CB; 68b = Tyler Smith OT; 68c = Jamaree Salyer, OG; 68c

Mock trade with Pittsburgh #20 and #52; for Texans #13.

#20 - 20a = Tyler Lindbaum, 20b = Trevor Penning, OT; 20c = Andrew Booth, CB
#53 - 52a = Quay Walker, LB; 52b Logan Hall, DE/Edge; 52c = Roger McCreary, CB; 52c

If I am picking at #3, the only players I will contemplate taking there are:-
Kyle Hamilton
Evan Neal
Ahmed Gardner
Kayvon Thibodeaux
Ikem Ekwonu
Aiden Hutchinson

Walker, Cross and Wyatt all at #13, but even there, I will take Davis first if he is still there.
Kyle Hamilton - 4.60 40
Evan Neal - lacks lateral speed, better OG
Ahmed Gardner -
Kayvon Thibodeaux - is 3 -4 OLB; light in the pants for a 4 -3 DE. A square peg in Lovie's round hole.
Ikem Ekwonu - good straight line speed lacks lateral foot quickness
Aiden Hutchinson - Georgia neutralized him pretty good.

Kyle Hamilton - 4.60 40
Evan Neal - lacks lateral speed, better OG
Ahmed Gardner -
Kayvon Thibodeaux - is 3 -4 OLB; light in the pants for a 4 -3 DE. A square peg in Lovie's round hole.
Ikem Ekwonu - good straight line speed lacks lateral foot quickness
Aiden Hutchinson - Georgia neutralized him pretty good.
If you're focusing solely on weaknesses...
Travon Walker:-
"
  • Below-average get-off playing inside or outside.
  • Very limited bend in his lower half.
  • Works with elevated pad level and a lack of fluidity.
  • Dull pursuit burst in space.
  • Not threatening as an edge-to-edge rusher.
  • Struggled to displace Alabama OT Evan Neal's outside hand with force.
  • Lethargic getting from move to move.
  • Will need scheme help as NFL rusher.
Don't get caught up in the hype.
I might take Walker if he's there at #37

Last edited:
If you're focusing solely on weaknesses...
Travon Walker:-
"
  • Below-average get-off playing inside or outside.
  • Very limited bend in his lower half.
  • Works with elevated pad level and a lack of fluidity.
  • Dull pursuit burst in space.
  • Not threatening as an edge-to-edge rusher.
  • Struggled to displace Alabama OT Evan Neal's outside hand with force.
  • Lethargic getting from move to move.
  • Will need scheme help as NFL rusher.
Don't get caught up in the hype.
Duplicate

My REVISED 03/27/2022, Texans 2022 Mock Draft:

#3 - Traded with Seattle at #9. Seattle trades #9 and #40, #41 draft pick. Seattle selects: Matt Corral

#9 - Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia; 9b - Jordan Davis NT, Georgia
#13 - Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa
#37 - Skyy Moore, WR, Western Michigan
#40 - Arnold Ebeketie, Edge, PSU; 40b - Logan Hall
#41 - Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn
#68 - Tyler Smith, OT, Tulsa
#80 - Channing Tindall, LB Georgia
#107 - Zach Tom, OG, Wake Forest
#108 - Zamir White RB, Goergia
#168 - Matt Araiza P/K, SDSU

Now I just need to get Pete Carroll to go along.

Last edited:
@steelbtexan @Texian, Walker posted some impressive numbers at the combine but what worries me is that the Georgie DL was stacked. What is he or any of the lineman from Georgia going to be like when they are going to be put on a less talented defense like the Texans? It's hard for me to spend the 3rd overall pick on any of them with that question in mind

I wouldnt mind spending the 13th pick on any of them but imo the number 3 pick has to be a sure thing (arguably) like sauce, hamilton, Neal, ikem etc

What is he or any of the lineman from Georgia going to be like when they are going to be put on a less talented defense like the Texans?
Texans aren't void of talent on the DLine. Malik gets constant pressure up the middle. Greenard is above average on one side.

Get someone that can pressure the other side & guys like Blacklok & Lopez will be more productive.

Regardless who we do get... Thibodeaux, Hutchinson, Karlaftis, Lovie's going to have to blitz more if the coverage doesn't get a lot better.

@steelbtexan @Texian, Walker posted some impressive numbers at the combine but what worries me is that the Georgie DL was stacked. What is he or any of the lineman from Georgia going to be like when they are going to be put on a less talented defense like the Texans? It's hard for me to spend the 3rd overall pick on any of them with that question in mind

I wouldnt mind spending the 13th pick on any of them but imo the number 3 pick has to be a sure thing (arguably) like sauce, hamilton, Neal, ikem etc
I get this

It's why I hope Caserio picks #3 Walker and #13 Davis. This would go along way towards building a young dominant ol.

A DL of Walker/Davis/Collins/Greenard with Blacklock in reserve is a talented and deep DL. They help with stopping the run and provide a much improved pass rush. Wanna see Collins improve? Put Davis next to him and let Davis draw double teams. I would actually be ok with Sauce at 3, Davis at 13 and Sam Williams at 37. Maybe even trade down a little bit from 37.and pickup an extra 3rd

Then trading up for Salyer

I certainly understand your concerns. I too share some of them. Like what can/will Walker do when he is lined up as 4-3 5 technique in the pros vs the 3-4 3 technique he was in college. There is a huge difference. My other concern is how well will Walker be able to produce when he's not confined to the Georgia system where he was primarily responsible for containing the ends and keeping the QB inside the pocket. You don't really see where Georgia allows Walker to pin back his ears and get after the QB.

I have 2 caveats pertaining to Walker, what was his bench press? So far, no numbers and I don't think he lifted at his pro day. I also want to know his 10 yd split. I think I saw an unofficial 1.62 which I thought might be better. Makes me question his first step off the snap. Although JJ Watt had a 1.64 and he's plenty quick enough.

Imagine if Walker had one designated responsibility like Hutchinson and Thibodeaux and that was to attack the QB, nothing else. Walker had 6 sacks as a 3 tech containment DE. Imagine his sack totals as a balls to wall attack the QB every snap 5 tech edge rusher.

With Walker it is going to come down to his new coach and system. If Walker can get his Wade Phillips like JJ Watt did, I don't think he will have a problem and will go on to be a star in this league.

You may note in my latest Mock 2/27, Walker is not in my mock draft.

Last edited:

This is why you need to be a standout and Thibodeaux, Hutchinson and Karlaftis we're just that which is why I take the aforementioned trio before I even consider Walker - @ #13, yeah maybe - depends on who is on the board.

My NEW 4 Weeks from the NFL Draft - MOCK

TRADE: HOU #3 ----> to ATL for #8, #43, #58

#8 - Charles Cross, LT
#13 - Devonte Wyatt DT, 13b Jordan Davis
#37 - Skyy Moore, WR
#43 - Logan Hall, Edge
#58 - Trey McBride, TE
#68 - Channing Tindall, LB
#80 - Martin Emerson, CB
#107 - Zamir White, RB
#108 - Cole Strange, OG
#183 - Matt Araizi, P/K

Last edited:
I certainly understand your concerns. I too share some of them. Like what can/will Walker do when he is lined up as 4-3 5 technique in the pros vs the 3-4 3 technique he was in college. There is a huge difference. My other concern is how well will Walker be able to produce when he's not confined to the Georgia system where he was primarily responsible for containing the ends and keeping the QB inside the pocket. You don't really see where Georgia allows Walker to pin back his ears and get after the QB.

I have 2 caveats pertaining to Walker, what was his bench press? So far, no numbers and I don't think he lifted at his pro day. I also want to know his 10 yd split. I think I saw an unofficial 1.62 which I thought might be better. Makes me question his first step off the snap. Although JJ Watt had a 1.64 and he's plenty quick enough.

Imagine if Walker had one designated responsibility like Hutchinson and Thibodeaux and that was to attack the QB, nothing else. Walker had 6 sacks as a 3 tech containment DE. Imagine his sack totals as a balls to wall attack the QB every snap 5 tech edge rusher.

With Walker it is going to come down to his new coach and system. If Walker can get his Wade Phillips like JJ Watt did, I don't think he will have a problem and will go on to be a star in this league.

You may note in my latest Mock 2/27, Walker is not in my mock draft.
I'm not picking on you, but he didn't play 3 tech in a 3-4. That's virtually impossible. The only person that can do that is basically the nt

I'm not picking on you, but he didn't play 3 tech in a 3-4. That's virtually impossible. The only person that can do that is basically the nt
Apparently Walker can play NT, but why would you draft a NT at #3?
If you do go NT there, Jordan Davis would be the best.

The NT usually lines up OVER the Center, the 0 technique or in the A Gap, 1 technique, between the OC and the OG. NTs are usually responsible for controlling both A gaps. The gaps and techniques are NOT at all determined by the defensive alignment that is being played BUT instead by the offensive line as the diagram illustrates. As you can see by the attached diagram, the technique you're playing is where you line up against the offensive line. Walker often was lining up as a 3, 4 and 5 technique. Georgia had a such a stable of fast physical LBs you didn't see Walker lined up as a 7 or 9 technique like you always did when watching Hutchinson or Kibodeaux. And on passing downs when Jordan Davis went out you can see Walker lined up as a 0 technique. So as you can see playing a 3 technique (between the OG and the OT) in a 3-4 D is not only possible but is the most common alignment. It's design is to primarily allow LBs to control their responsible gaps.

1648826842594.png

I know you are not picking on me but you do like to troll me. You should probably google before trolling thou. A 3 technique in a 3-4 is the common preferred alignment. Not sure where you came up with it is impossible.

Last edited:
Texans aren't void of talent on the DLine. Malik gets constant pressure up the middle. Greenard is above average on one side.

Get someone that can pressure the other side & guys like Blacklok & Lopez will be more productive.

Regardless who we do get... Thibodeaux, Hutchinson, Karlaftis, Lovie's going to have to blitz more if the coverage doesn't get a lot better.
Out of curiosity when facing the Chiefs, and you can only pick one, do you roll with a better secondary or a better four man rush? I roll with the DLine.

Out of curiosity when facing the Chiefs, and you can only pick one, do you roll with a better secondary or a better four man rush? I roll with the DLine.
Seems like a smarter DLine is more affective against Mahomes at the end of the season.

Rush three, drop one as a spy.

I’d really like to see KC’s offense without Hill. He’s much better than DeSean Jackson, but Philly’s offense morphed like night & day when he left.

I know they have other weapons, but not even Kelce dictates coverage like Hill.

Back