Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TexansTalk Official Rules - Updated

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I don't think regular members see 'Warnings' when mousing over the avatar - we just see a 'points' label, which I'm assuming is what Powda is expecting to see increment but doesn't.

Another assumption but only the mods are going to see the warning points, the forum member is just notified they have received them.

Unless I am missing something...

View attachment 5268

I'm going to PM you something that will confirm this or not …

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Apparently only mods can see the number of warnings and warning points.

If anyone in the future wants to know their status - PM me and I'll get back to you with that information.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
Damn, you're pushy
No, not at all. I am sure that Powda understands that what I wrote above was "tongue in cheek" and in the spirit of fun. Powda is a cool poster, has an honorable background that I respect, and I am glad I have the opportunity to participate on TexansTalk with him.

Edit to add: Well, I sure hope that Powda understood that I was just kidding him!

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Kind words @ROO. Thank you.

So my experience being banned may benefit the mods (but likely wont.) I was on my phone at the time and upon hitting refresh my signal seemed to drop. Oddly, I had no trouble getting to any other site...

I found myself laughing (at me) ,and thinking, "yup, they did it."

After 5-10 minutes, I was able to get to something resembling a home page ,but it had a giant white message. The message read (I'm paraphrasing):

"oops. Something happened. You've been banned. Reason: rules violation. Your ban will expire 1-2-20 at 907pm"

I thought it was cool to know why and to actually be told a time the ban would lift. Needless to say, I tried the nsz with the same result. I tried using multiple browsers and even looked for a way to log out so I could view the board as a guest. No such luck. I kept getting the ban notice. I thought about searching for a browser option that would stop me from automatically being logged in with user names and passwords ,but I decided against it. To many sites I use need it.

The next day at work, I tried on a desktop and got the same results. This is a pc I regularly use for surfing this site as well.

When the ban time lifted at 907pm I tried getting on and continued getting the same notice. After roughly 30-45 minutes I was finally able to get back in as I regularly would. I'm not sure if there was just a natural delay or maybe a mod took some action?

2 extra things I noticed that the mods may or may not know:

-I could still see I had alerts and the number increased as they would normally when posters respond to you. I just couldn't get to them. It was kind of a salt in the wound experience. I had 20 alerts and no idea what the hell any of them were for. (I imagined many were at my expense for getting banned.)

-there is still one place while banned that I could get to on this site. The "Terms and Rules" link at the bottom. I found that especially funny...

Anyway, hope that was helpful. Good to be back.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
No, not at all. I am sure that Powda understands that what I wrote above was "tongue in cheek" and in the spirit of fun. Powda is a cool poster, has an honorable background that I respect, and I am glad I have the opportunity to participate on TexansTalk with him.

Edit to add: Well, I sure hope that Powda understood that I was just kidding him!
I know you were just poking fun. I was just poking fun at your poking fun. I guess I should have included a :kitten: or a :clown:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Hey Mods, if you're going to be deleting posts for your arbitrary reasons, own up and send a message so it's not anonymous

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Hey Mods, if you're going to be deleting posts for your arbitrary reasons, own up and send a message so it's not anonymous
The ones I deleted I select send notification. If you didn't receive two notifications yesterday I'll ask hookem to investigate

powda

I received them but they were anonymous and a bit vague
Agreed. If I do something stupid I'll own it and if mods see some action is necessary then cool. I even see a message why a mod did whatever they did - trouble is, and I think jb is referring to this, the mod message is anonymous. It would be cool to know who I'm talking to in the event a mod deletes or moves a post.

Reactions: JB

powda

Agreed. If I do something stupid I'll own it and if mods see some action is necessary then cool. I even see a message why a mod did whatever they did - trouble is, and I think jb is referring to this, the mod message is anonymous. It would be cool to know who I'm talking to in the event a mod deletes or moves a post.
Thanks @thunderkyss. Very receptive on this already.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Meatbear & his brother start off as hospital as visiting fans can be. Then we insult them.

& if you made a lot of posts in that "ironic" thread, there was a lot of collateral damage in that one.

& if you don't mind, in your Watson's value thread, follow the rules you posted in the first post & I won't have to delete your posts.

powda

Meatbear & his brother start off as hospital as visiting fans can be. Then we insult them.

& if you made a lot of posts in that "ironic" thread, there was a lot of collateral damage in that one.

& if you don't mind, in your Watson's value thread, follow the rules you posted in the first post & I won't have to delete your posts.
I step over the margins when attacked. These posters are who they are and you know it. They attack others and belittle the site without consequence.

Why?

powda

Ya know, after being here nearly 20 years and countless posts/threads on how to improve the site, I'd hope my loyalty to this site is unquestioned.

I'm not always as "diplomatic" with others as I should be. When I see someone or multiple posters behaving stupidly I take action. Probably it's not my place to do so because I'm no mod. Maybe my response isnt always the best.

But you allow them to be here and let them continue their behavior.

Tell me how that's any better.

MeatBear77

Rookie
Ya know, after being here nearly 20 years and countless posts/threads on how to improve the site, I'd hope my loyalty to this site is unquestioned.

I'm not always as "diplomatic" with others as I should be. When I see someone or multiple posters behaving stupidly I take action. Probably it's not my place to do so because I'm no mod. Maybe my response isnt always the best.

But you allow them to be here and let them continue their behavior.

Tell me how that's any better.
It was just chips buddy and it was like last decade buddy. If u were me u would just let it go

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
More posts deleted for 'off-topic' and I don't have a clue what the posts were or the topic was... threads were different that what notification led me to

Or who deleted

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
More posts deleted for 'off-topic' and I don't have a clue what the posts were or the topic was... threads were different that what notification led me to

Or who deleted
In the notification I said talking about late night escapades had nothing to do with Jj Watt appreciation. Posts from two Jj Watt on SNL threads were merged into that one.

Talking about late night non football related parlays is off topic in just about any thread here.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
In the notification I said talking about late night escapades had nothing to do with Jj Watt appreciation. Posts from two Jj Watt on SNL threads were merged into that one.

Talking about late night non football related parlays is off topic in just about any thread here.
Nomisrg made a comment about his cousin and I responded that I could relate... and then explained why. I take it you've never been to Chicago?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Nomisrg made a comment about his cousin and I responded that I could relate... and then explained why. I take it you've never been to Chicago?
His comment was off topic. Your response to his off topic comment was off topic.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Do the MODS get free drinks in the MODS ONLY forum? How about badges? I picture you guys walking around wearing badges. No?

Keep up the good work.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Do the MODS get free drinks in the MODS ONLY forum? How about badges? I picture you guys walking around wearing badges. No?

Keep up the good work.

Your posts wouldn't be getting deleted and you wouldn't be in time out if you weren't using foul language and insulting people / name calling.

You said something in the other thread about the filter not picking up your cuss words and you shouldn't have to account for that - Well , you do have to account for that , you know the rules and if you choose to break them , be prepared for the consequences.

Don't try playing the victim - follow the rules.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Your posts wouldn't be getting deleted and you wouldn't be in time out if you weren't using foul language and insulting people / name calling.

You said something in the other thread about the filter not picking up your cuss words and you shouldn't have to account for that - Well , you do have to account for that , you know the rules and if you choose to break them , be prepared for the consequences.

Don't try playing the victim - follow the rules.
HAAAAAAHAHAHA how funny .. i didnt even know I was "banned" Yes Sir Mr Moderator sir I will get promptly in line I wouldnt want to get another ban or even worse a PERMABANNN (shiver)

i think the moderation team needs more training. you guys act pretty new to this. seems like more of a power trip then really trying to "clean this place up' since I could probably report 100s of posts for fringe rules violations, but my life is not so "S & P" (is that allowable?? LOL) that i need to find validation or some wierd vindication about my life in general.

this for me is just a minute of my time. a place that used to be a welcome spot for varying ideas and opinions without the incessant vitriol and cliquish behaviour. Even more to the point of allowing blatant misinformation about players and team affairs to run rampant in defense of an "opinion".

i could argue that this "ban" wasnt "fair" and I'll be a "good boy" but I didnt even notice.

do what you gotta do.

disaacks3

Staff member
i think the moderation team needs more training. you guys act pretty new to this. seems like more of a power trip then really trying to "clean this place up' since I could probably report 100s of posts for fringe rules violations, but my life is not so "S & P" (is that allowable?? LOL) that i need to find validation or some wierd vindication about my life in general.
We're trying to provide a layer of policing, without getting draconian about it. Given the lack of even temp bans on any sort of regular basis (<1 month), we're pretty light-handed in this regard.

"Fringe rules violations" aren't usually the ones that get reported to us. The over-the-top vulgarity, name-calling and assorted other B.S. is what does get reported. If we think it's serious enough we award points. Reach the point threshold and you get a few days in timeout.

Less than 1% of the users account for 95% of the reported posts.

I spend far more time clearing out "extraneous arguments" in threads than anything else...by FAR.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I just logged in and saw a deleted post for language in a DeShaun Watson quarterback thread. Deleted about an hour ago. Can someone tell me what the language was it was a shock to me as I try not to use any bad language. Also I would like to apologize to whomever I quoted. Thanks!

powda

I dont really care for the anonymous nature of moderator action. Sometimes posts are deleted, edited, or moved. That's fine. Probably it shouldve been. Funny part is, I'd bet 2-3 moderators skim the same post seeing nothing wrong with it and DONT take action. Attaching a name to the action shouldn't be something a poster has to guess at.

I'm no angel. I may have deserved the response I got ,but allowing a moderator to say "f'k you" anonymously without repercussion is bogus. If I did it I'd likely be banned.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
The mod who deleted it also deleted two other posts immediately preceding that one and they all had one thing in common.. they all contained a 'f'k you' from one poster to another..

The reason it was deleted wasn't because 'f'k you', it was because it quoted 'f'k you'..

powda

The mod who deleted it also deleted two other posts immediately preceding that one and they all had one thing in common.. they all contained a 'f'k you' from one poster to another..

The reason it was deleted wasn't because 'f'k you', it was because it quoted 'f'k you'..

Now that's an explanation. I don't remember doing it but probably did. My hope is that the poster who elicited that reaction also had his post deleted.

Either way, context. Thank you.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Now that's an explanation. I don't remember doing it but probably did. My hope is that the poster who elicited that reaction also had his post deleted.

Either way, context. Thank you.

I've warned on multiple occasions that if you quote a post that's got content outside the rules - both posts will get deleted.

Rather than quote it so we have two posts to remove , just hit the report button and we'll deal with it.

Some things may be borderline and are at the discretion of individual mods and some are more proactive than others but the content in question here isn't borderline and any of us would have deleted it.

Play Nice.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
That's all reasonable. I still dont care for the anonymous mod action.
That's just how the software works …

Anything beyond that we have to take the time to PM individuals directly , which I will do when its not the same few posters. But those who consistently break the rules - I'm not gonna waste my time sending them an explanation. Nor am I going to do that for posts that quoted deleted material - you know its getting deleted.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Well mine did not and I still don't know what was wrong with what I said. I don't use "f" anything. I am 100% behind a cleaner board but "culling language" should be bit more informative..perhaps a pm? Anyway I have moved on.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Well mine did not and I still don't know what was wrong with what I said. I don't use "f" anything. I am 100% behind a cleaner board but "culling language" should be bit more informative..perhaps a pm? Anyway I have moved on.
My guess on that one is that you used a word that although not an actual 'f' word is nonetheless not very family friendly.

And knowing the mod who did it it was almost certainly not intended to reprimand your personal use of language so much as to simply generally remove the word from public forum view.

Glad to hear you've so clearly left in the rear view though..

badboy

Hall of Fame
My guess on that one is that you used a word that although not an actual 'f' word is nonetheless not very family friendly.

And knowing the mod who did it it was almost certainly not intended to reprimand your personal use of language so much as to simply generally remove the word from public forum view.

Glad to hear you've so clearly left in the rear view though..
it still exists in the rearview mirror but I am driving on. The closest post I could find that was gone "aren't you glad you and I don't make mistakes". I meant it to be sarcastic but not insulting or profane. Culling my language was what I was told Which fits your description I guess.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That's all reasonable. I still dont care for the anonymous mod action.
I wish it weren’t anonymous. I try to give feedback for why I do what I do. But it gets old. You quoted a post that said “f’k you”

I can’t & won’t be held responsible because you can’t remember.

you didn’t get a warning. Take that to mean you yourself didn’t do anything to warrant a point.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
EFF YOU Rob! J/K Man! If these rules were enforced years ago, I would've prolly been more participating! Alas, at one point this place TEXANSTALK.com got ugly!! You know what I'm talking about! As an aside, thank you to Steelb and TK for "Welcome Back". That said, I never left, I've lurked, I was creepy old guy..... LOL, Lastly, Eff you all (that know me) y'all old mother effin curmudgeons (old age setting in)! BE KIND, Be SAFE! Take care of yours, your family and your neighbors!!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
One of our board members asked me to propose to the moderators that we adopt a rule to... in his own words

He needs to be called out or banned for lying.
I believe there is no restrictions for calling out lies. So I would suppose he wants to ban members who post lies.

I hope I've expressed his thoughts correctly. I hope he'll provide further clarification if needed.

But there it is. He proposes to ban people who lie.