Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Wide Receivers

Our offensive line situation this year, especially LG and C, was a nightmare.

RG: Shaq Mason was signed as a FA and came in and played most of the year, starting every game and only missing a few snaps here and there. He was just meh.

LT: Tunsil's great, especially with pass blocking. But he was injured for part of the year, and finished the year playing with leg and groin issues that were hampering him.

RT: Howard was supposed to be our starter but got injured (and iirc went on IR). Fant came in and played much better than expected and started for most of the season at RT, although he also got injured here and there and also had to shift over to LT at times. Heck also played some spot duty.

C: Quessenberry was our projected starter (he was the starter last year) but everyone expected Scruggs (a rook) to be our C. Quessenberry went down early in training came, and Scruggs came in and was the starter throughout the preseason. Scruggs got injured right before the season started. Patterson (a rook) was put into the starting lineup and started the first few games, playing surprisingly well, and then he went on IR. Then Dieter, who had been signed in FA and then cut to the PS, and then promoted from the PS to the regular roster, became our starter for the majority of the season.

LG: OK. Get ready. Here we go. We drafted KenYON Green in the first round last year to play this spot. He got inured and went on IR before the season started. We brought in KenDRICK Green from the Steelers and plugged him in. And he played well for 3-4 games and then he was injured and on IR. We had picked up Josh Jones from the Cards and we plugged him in until he got injured. At some point, Tytus Howard --the guy who was supposed to be our RT-- came back and we stuck him in at LG (and he was terrible) and then he got reinjured and ended up on IR. Luckily, rookie Juice Scruggs who was supposed to have been our center came back and we stuck him in at LG and that's who we finished the season with (the last 6 games or so). He started off pretty sketchy but got better as he picked up experience. I might have missed some guys here.

So, yeah, the OL you guys faced in the playoffs was a patchwork quilt.
Yeah there was no continuity at all and this makes Stroud's play even more meritorious.
Man, if he can get some continuity with a decent line, watch out.
We might even get a run game going...

Then fix your OL. Go get a solid RB. In fact I'd argue that Stroud should have more blocking because teams like the Ravens, while they might not have sacked him, they were definitely getting to my boy Stroud

We only had nico. They shut him down and we struggled. It would have been a different game with Dell plus add in a true stud WR. With Strouds ability we could score at will. Hell that alone would open up the run game.

I've been thinking about this a bit more and think it wouldn't be such a bad idea from a veteran WR standpoint or from a financial perspective that the Texans make a move and bring DHop back into the fold. I want Collins and Dell to know that they're the WR1 and WR2 since both have more than proven themselves to make the catches and burn defenses deep when Stroud has the time. DHop would be coming in as the SWR to create mismatches for DC's who would have to be aware of where he's at on the field. He could have a field day working the gaps in zone coverages or just beating over the middle of the field. One thing I would say is a sure thing......having DHop as a SWR would surely make Collins and Dell far more effective on the outside.

Financially, the Texans wouldn't have to throw a 4 or 5 year contract at him or a 100M dollars at him.....maybe a simple 2 year deal with a season guaranteed.

I’m glad someone asked DeMeco about the wide receiver room, and he said we need receivers who can separate. That tells me he’s not happy with the current wide receiver room. Good. Neither am I.

Right now, the way I see our receivers is ….

Nico Collins can separate
Tank Dell can separate
Noah Brown can not separate
Robert Woods can not separate
John Metchie can not separate
Xavier Hutchinson can not separate

My question going into the combine is this. What particular drill (and please don’t say the 40 yard dash) best measures the ability to separate from a defender?

I’ll hang up and listen. :)

Noah can separate but he couldn’t stay healthy, and health is a major concern if you resign him. Woods it’s just an age issue. But the two young guys…yes major issues getting separation. I only put a very small amount into the combine or pro days. If you want to know who can separate, watching film is the best tool a scout has.

Noah can separate but he couldn’t stay healthy, and health is a major concern if you resign him. Woods it’s just an age issue. But the two young guys…yes major issues getting separation. I only put a very small amount into the combine or pro days. If you want to know who can separate, watching film is the best tool a scout has.

I’m over and done with with the feel good story on John Metchie. Understand it’s all about draft position, but I still it’s crazy that Nico Collin’s can make 150k a year, while Metchie pulls down 200. :(

I've been thinking about this a bit more and think it wouldn't be such a bad idea from a veteran WR standpoint or from a financial perspective that the Texans make a move and bring DHop back into the fold. I want Collins and Dell to know that they're the WR1 and WR2 since both have more than proven themselves to make the catches and burn defenses deep when Stroud has the time. DHop would be coming in as the SWR to create mismatches for DC's who would have to be aware of where he's at on the field. He could have a field day working the gaps in zone coverages or just beating over the middle of the field. One thing I would say is a sure thing......having DHop as a SWR would surely make Collins and Dell far more effective on the outside.

Financially, the Texans wouldn't have to throw a 4 or 5 year contract at him or a 100M dollars at him.....maybe a simple 2 year deal with a season guaranteed.
He doesn't need alot of targets either because he catches everything. I mean he was still 1k 8tds and 15ypc.

I’m glad someone asked DeMeco about the wide receiver room, and he said we need receivers who can separate. That tells me he’s not happy with the current wide receiver room. Good. Neither am I.
To me it's just coach speak. You can't trust a word any of them say, especially this time of year. We won't really know what they think until we get past the draft & then we won't know specifically what DeMeco thinks until cutdowns.

My question going into the combine is this. What particular drill (and please don’t say the 40 yard dash) best measures the ability to separate from a defender?

I’ll hang up and listen. :)
The 40 will indicate straight line seperation. The 3 cone drill and short shuttle will show a player's ability to stop and start and change direction. But the best indicator of all is watching the player on tape.

Anyone got the 3 cone, 40 and short shuttle on Tank Dell? Dude can open in a phone booth. I think he’d be the gold standard for quicks and COD. Ok I can check but it’s called being lazy and I know when one of very fine amazing friends on this forum will know or check and post it.

Dell did the 40 (4.49) and the broad jump (121") and that's it. But anyone who watched Tank play knew he was a phenom in change of direction and acceleration. It all goes back to watching players play.

Agreed, but we're in combine season so it would have been cool to make a comparison straight up because Dell is a serious stud on short quicks and COD. He's not special in flat-out speed, but the name of the game is getting open and he is great at it.

Agreed, but we're in combine season so it would have been cool to make a comparison straight up because Dell is a serious stud on short quicks and COD. He's not special in flat-out speed, but the name of the game is getting open and he is great at it.

Here are a few examples of best separators in the league and their numbers:

Here is a link to combine results table from 2023 that records all times and measrurements from all players that tested at the combine. The table is sortable and there are links that go back to previous seasons. Enjoy.

Last edited:
To me it's just coach speak. You can't trust a word any of them say, especially this time of year. We won't really know what they think until we get past the draft & then we won't know specifically what DeMeco thinks until cutdowns.

The problem is that coaches will tell you things, if you bother wade through the so-called coach speak. In this case, Demeco was responding to a question on what they look for in a WR. Nothing more to read into that. He wasn't hinting all anything.

Reactions: JB
The problem is that coaches will tell you things, if you bother wade through the so-called coach speak. In this case, Demeco was responding to a question on what they look for in a WR. Nothing more to read into that. He wasn't hinting all anything.

Regarding the the typical coach speak, and I might end up being wrong, but I find DeMeco’s answers to be more transparent than most.

How much 11 personnel will the team be running?

Nico at X
Tank/Diggs shifting around outside/slot as matchups dictate.

Then Brown/Metchie/Hutchinson are in reserve. Outside shot of Sims as the return man.

Also possibility of adding a rookie WR though I would only target one on day 3 now with the Diggs trade. Feel like they can shore up the trenches day 2, maybe grab another TE to add flexibility and depth behind Schultz.

We all assume Woods is going to be cut… but when?

How much 11 personnel will the team be running?

Nico at X
Tank/Diggs shifting around outside/slot as matchups dictate.

Then Metchie/Hutchinson are in reserve. Outside shot of Sims as the return man.

Also possibility of adding a rookie WR though I would only target one on day 3 now with the Diggs trade. Feel like they can shore up the trenches day 2, maybe grab another TE to add flexibility and depth behind Schultz.

We all assume Woods is going to be cut… but when?

Noah Brown?

I am fascinated with what they are thinking regarding WR, especially since they haven't cut Robert Woods. I still think they are going to draft a WR too... Teams are keeping 6 Wrs these days, I think... could we be thinking 7 WRs (given the added emphasis with KR)?

I think 6 WRs gameday. Maybe carry a guy on PS like Sims that can be elevated if/when they need a returner.

This WR room is looking quite formidable now. Especially if Metchie and Hutchinson can make a jump. Hopefully we only really see them in preseason and the big three are out there healthy all season.

I look for a guy like Cornelius Johnson or McCaffrey to be the pick if they're there in the 6th.

I mentioned Johnson as someone who could provide direct competition for Hutchinson on the draft forum.

Think he’s an ideal depth WR with potential to develop into more. Playing at Michigan he’s accustomed to doing the dirty work like run blocking.

Last edited:
Back