Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TEXANS VS RAVENS PLAYOFFS............"NEVERMORE" QUOTH THE TEXANS!

Lamar Jackson has more than one playoff victory?
Jackson has a 1-3 career playoff record.

Are you new to football? Are you not following along here?

Well no. But the Ravens have two Superbowls. In the context I was reading the post from, it was stating that we only had 1 playoff win

You might not ever get it. The Ravens are the worst possible matchup for you for a ton of reasons. I will name them.

1. Per DVOA and almost any other worthwhile metric, the Ravens are one of the best teams of all time (5th I believe). The Chiefs aren't even close. I guess if yo would rather play an all time legendary team yeah great matchup, definitely the one you want.

2. The Texans have no run game, the Ravens like to GIVE teams the run to make sure they cover the deep pass and allow nothing over the top. You will not be able to exploit this in any meaningful way.

3. The Texans want to push the ball down the field, and that is specifically what Ravens defense is designed to prevent. As I mentioned before the average is the best ok the last 17 seasons because they literally allow no deep balls passing. The entre secondary is full of starts even without Humphrey Once again, worst possible matchup you could think of.

4. The weather isn't supposed to be just cold, but cold and very windy. Oh guess what that affects.....the deep passing game, what the Texans want to use. Once again, could not be a worse situation for what Texans want to do.

5. So when it is cold and blustery what else can you do? Run the ball! Oh right The Ravens are the best running team in NFL, and the Texans are one of the worst.

6. Ravens have 5 legit passing options that all need to be covered equally on offense. You can't focus on one guy, they can all kill you. The Texans pass defense is like 28th one of the worst, once again just another horrible mismatch if it goes the way.

7. Texans run defense is great. Well guess what there isn't a team in football the Ravens can't and haven't run against, especially with a lead. Once again we can wash your best strength.

8. Back to the Texans offense, in order to have ANY chance at moving ball on us, you cannot be a one dimensional offense. It just aint gonna work. That is a death sentence if we know what you are trying to do all the time. You are largely one dimensional right out of the gate. Just a bad combo once again. I mean look what we did to 49ers, on the road to the best dual threat offense in football with weapons all over the place. Light work.

So you keep hanging your hat on "Lamar can't throw" or something. The Ravens are the absolute LAST team you ever want to see right now. You might have actually had a shot to beat the Chiefs, who are far inferior in every way compared to Ravens. Just remember this, you better get up early to have any chance. If WE get up by 14 at any point the game is over I promise. That is when things just snowball completely out of control, see SF and Miami.

Oh but here is the problem with getting up early on us. We have only trailed for 28 minutes the entire season. Out of 549 minutes of total game time. We are never behind, and the 3 games we (gave away) all happened months ago in the last 2 min with random dumb **** happening. When we were seriously banged up and not the team we are today. Or even close. When we lost those game early we had 6-8 starters out every game and still almost won. (a bunch got hurt in game 1 vs you guys, and those injuries lingered for a while and piled up)

I get you are playing with house money and all that. But you just don't understand how good we are. No one does until we beat them by 20-30 after everyone was predicting a close game. I'm not trying to knock you at all, but you are about to play a completely different animal. We had a late bye with a murderers row of 6 playoff teams to finish. Smoked first 4. Got to SF, oh it's gonna end here they said. Destroyed them in their own place. Oh next week here comes Miami, for #1 seed lot of pressure! Ran them out of the building 56-19. We have seen all the "pressure" and then some over past 2 months. It means nothing to this team.
Come on man, don't be such a fence-sitter.

I lived for over 30 years in northern Wisconsin. I can tell you for a fact that the wind affects you much more than just having a cold day. If it's cold and windy everyone freezes up. The Ravens will have an edge in that area. Not a large edge but, still an edge. If it's just cold and very little wind, it won't be too bad. The ground is like concrete and the ball is slick and feels like brick but, still playable. Put 10 mph wind or more in there and things get ugly quickly. By the late 3rd quarter no one wants to tackle.

You might not ever get it. The Ravens are the worst possible matchup for you for a ton of reasons. I will name them.

1. Per DVOA and almost any other worthwhile metric, the Ravens are one of the best teams of all time (5th I believe). The Chiefs aren't even close. I guess if yo would rather play an all time legendary team yeah great matchup, definitely the one you want.

2. The Texans have no run game, the Ravens like to GIVE teams the run to make sure they cover the deep pass and allow nothing over the top. You will not be able to exploit this in any meaningful way.

3. The Texans want to push the ball down the field, and that is specifically what Ravens defense is designed to prevent. As I mentioned before the average is the best ok the last 17 seasons because they literally allow no deep balls passing. The entre secondary is full of starts even without Humphrey Once again, worst possible matchup you could think of.

4. The weather isn't supposed to be just cold, but cold and very windy. Oh guess what that affects.....the deep passing game, what the Texans want to use. Once again, could not be a worse situation for what Texans want to do.

5. So when it is cold and blustery what else can you do? Run the ball! Oh right The Ravens are the best running team in NFL, and the Texans are one of the worst.

6. Ravens have 5 legit passing options that all need to be covered equally on offense. You can't focus on one guy, they can all kill you. The Texans pass defense is like 28th one of the worst, once again just another horrible mismatch if it goes the way.

7. Texans run defense is great. Well guess what there isn't a team in football the Ravens can't and haven't run against, especially with a lead. Once again we can wash your best strength.

8. Back to the Texans offense, in order to have ANY chance at moving ball on us, you cannot be a one dimensional offense. It just aint gonna work. That is a death sentence if we know what you are trying to do all the time. You are largely one dimensional right out of the gate. Just a bad combo once again. I mean look what we did to 49ers, on the road to the best dual threat offense in football with weapons all over the place. Light work.

So you keep hanging your hat on "Lamar can't throw" or something. The Ravens are the absolute LAST team you ever want to see right now. You might have actually had a shot to beat the Chiefs, who are far inferior in every way compared to Ravens. Just remember this, you better get up early to have any chance. If WE get up by 14 at any point the game is over I promise. That is when things just snowball completely out of control, see SF and Miami.

Oh but here is the problem with getting up early on us. We have only trailed for 28 minutes the entire season. Out of 549 minutes of total game time. We are never behind, and the 3 games we (gave away) all happened months ago in the last 2 min with random dumb **** happening. When we were seriously banged up and not the team we are today. Or even close. When we lost those game early we had 6-8 starters out every game and still almost won. (a bunch got hurt in game 1 vs you guys, and those injuries lingered for a while and piled up)

I get you are playing with house money and all that. But you just don't understand how good we are. No one does until we beat them by 20-30 after everyone was predicting a close game. I'm not trying to knock you at all, but you are about to play a completely different animal. We had a late bye with a murderers row of 6 playoff teams to finish. Smoked first 4. Got to SF, oh it's gonna end here they said. Destroyed them in their own place. Oh next week here comes Miami, for #1 seed lot of pressure! Ran them out of the building 56-19. We have seen all the "pressure" and then some over past 2 months. It means nothing to this team.
One dimensional?
K.

I lived for over 30 years in northern Wisconsin. I can tell you for a fact that the wind affects you much more than just having a cold day. If it's cold and windy everyone freezes up. The Ravens will have an edge in that area. Not a large edge but, still an edge. If it's just cold and very little wind, it won't be too bad. The ground is like concrete and the ball is slick and feels like brick but, still playable. Put 10 mph wind or more in there and things get ugly quickly. By the late 3rd quarter no one wants to tackle.

29 in Baltimore tomorrow as a high, wind speeds in the 20s with gusts up to 32 mph

That’s the thing, if it is windy, it won’t just effect the Texans passing game it’ll effect the Ravens’ as well…which is why all this talk about Lamar and his passing being much improved in this Todd Monken offense that’s being played up for the Ravens is crap. Of the wind is factor then It turns into Lamar & co. being primarily a running offense…….like they’ve always been in the past…..which in some ways plays directly into our strength as a team with a good run defense.

I'm really glad you posted this. I was waiting for someone to YOLO all their chips into the pile. Now let's see what the most unpredictable sport in the world gives you back, if anything.

That’s the thing, if it is windy, it won’t just effect the Texans passing game it’ll effect the Ravens’ as well…which is why all this talk about Lamar and his passing being much improved in this Todd Monken offense that’s being played up for the Ravens is crap. Of the wind is factor then It turns into Lamar & co. being primarily a running offense…….like they’ve always been in the past…..which in some ways plays directly into our strength as a team with a good run defense.

It directly plays into the Ravens strength as the #1 rushing attack in the NFL. Over four quarters in bitter cold, I’d give the edge to the offense in those conditions.

Exactly what I previously posted re. "cold and windy football."

Kickoff temp is to be 25 degrees..............Grass fields are supposed to be soft and smooth for players to land on when they are blocked or tackled — but just try telling that to any player who has been hit hard while playing in temperatures of 25 degrees or colder. Grass will not grow in winter weather conditions. If grass remains on the field, it is hard and brittle. Indeed, there have been many cases of NFL teams painting their fields green to make them look good for television. Playing on painted dirt can result in further increase in serious injuries in winter conditions. The Texans better do a better job of picking better footware..........especially since many of our players are coming off of or playing with joint injuries.

NFL Weather Report: Texans vs. Ravens

According to the National Weather Service, temperatures will reach just 25 degrees on Saturday afternoon in Baltimore, meaning Texans vs. Ravens should expect even colder temperatures considering its 4:30 p.m. ET kick off.

In addition, 11-17 mph winds with gusts up to 31 mph, are expected as well, which will make the conditions feel much colder for the players on the field.

The hourly breakdown provides even more detail, as temperatures between 21-24 degrees should be present throughout the game with the wind chill sitting between 8-11 degrees.

Further, 14-16 mph breezes could also be blowing, which certainly won't help either offense put points on the board.

In fact, unders are 53-27 (66.3%) in Ravens games played in winds of at least 10 mph dating back to the 2003 season.

The NFL betting market appears to have taken note of the weather report as well considering the Texans vs. Ravens over/under has dropped from 45.5 to 43.5 as of the time of writing, and don't be surprised if it continues to fall as more bettors become aware of this forecast.

The Ravens will have an edge in that area.

How do they have an edge? I assume it’s because you think they’re a better run team? If it’s just about playing in the cold they’ve got plenty of players on their roster from southern Cal to Texas to Florida. They’ve played one game this year with the temperature under 49 degrees.

The weather will affect both teams equally.

I don't understand the Ravens "edge" angle. Weather don't effect them? The last time that team played a game the weather was nothing like today, this will be their first time in those elements this season. & guys like Lamar don't like to play in this weather anymore than anyone else. At least his performance says as much.

Not all of those Ravens grew up in that crap. Justlike many of our guys did.

I think people are underestimating the mental side. Lamar himself said he is stressing over his playoff record and if he loses today he will beat Dak in having the worst playoff record in history among QBs with 5 or more playoff starts. Fact is Ravens have more to lose than the Texans, they are the number 1 seed and everyone is saying this is a game they should win. In addition their window is closing while the Texans has just opened.

Texans are a team that frankly don't know that they shouldn't be doing what they are doing. CJ in particular doesn't seem to realize that a rookie is not suppose to be casual about going up against, and destroying, the number 1 defense in the league. They are playing with house money and have already had a successful season even if they lose today. For the Ravens anything short of a SB will be considered a failure.

Plus most of the Ravens have be off the field for 3 weeks now. Yeah I'm sure Harbaugh has had them practing and not getting lazy but that different than actually being on the field. Especially in regards to taking hits from your teammates that are taking care of you vs guys that frankly don't care if you get injured.

How do they have an edge? I assume it’s because you think they’re a better run team? If it’s just about playing in the cold they’ve got plenty of players on their roster from southern Cal to Texas to Florida. They’ve played one game this year with the temperature under 49 degrees.

The weather will affect both teams equally.
I have to disagree with you strongly. It doesn't matter where a player comes from. It's what they have presently become acclimated to. Having spoken to Texans representatives, both players and coaches, despite what they may say publicly, they understand this.

To the bolded - I don’t expect that to be the case for professional NFL players in the playoffs but if it is the case then Pierce could be a wild card.

I have to disagree with you strongly. It doesn't matter where a player comes from. It's what they have presently become acclimated to. Having spoken to Texans representatives, both players and coaches, despite what they may say publicly, they understand this.
How long does it take a player to get acclimated to sub 20 degree weather?

To the bolded - I don’t expect that to be the case for professional NFL players in the playoffs but if it is the case then Pierce could be a wild card.
He didn’t have a lot of carries last week, but I liked the variety of ways they got the ball to Singletary. Tosses, pitches, sweeps... changes the angle the defense has to work, makes it easier to form lanes.

A couple of those runs Singletary was untouched for 5/6 yards.

And what exactly have they become acclimated to? As I mentioned, they played exactly ONE game this year with the temperature under 49 degrees.

Now let's see what the most unpredictable sport in the world gives you back.

I love this. In a addition to the odd shaped ball bouncing in no predictable direction, the human propensity to excel or fail at any given moment, injuries at any potential time, refs making subjective decisions one way or the other over and over we will have random wind gusts throwing the ball off of its intended course, a hard ground making it even more difficult to maintain possession of the ball on impact plus of course effecting traction, and cold potentially limiting the extent of contact. Plus all of the other crap that can’t even be thought of.

Thank you Texans for putting us in a position to either win based entirely on the fact that we are the better team or because we have prepared for this day in such a way that we will be able to take advantage of the unique opportunities that come our way.

Is the difference maker that CJ out gains Lamar on the ground today?

This is a great day. Proud to be a fan. GO T E X A N S !

I can't give you a set time. That's ridiculous. The more practice in such weather, the more time a team/players have to learn to adjust/compensate for the affects of the harsh conditions on their play.
What kind of weather has the Texans been practicing in the last couple of weeks?

If you practice in a facility like this, does that help acclimate you to adverse weather?
baltimore-ravens-corporate-hq-and-training-new-4--2000.jpg

One can be assured that if they are anticipating playing in a cold game, they will not be practicing indoors in their underwear. :)
By that logic the Texans have been practicing outside for two weeks & should be as acclimated to the weather just like the Ravens.

Exactly what I previously posted re. "cold and windy football."

Kickoff temp is to be 25 degrees..............Grass fields are supposed to be soft and smooth for players to land on when they are blocked or tackled — but just try telling that to any player who has been hit hard while playing in temperatures of 25 degrees or colder. Grass will not grow in winter weather conditions. If grass remains on the field, it is hard and brittle. Indeed, there have been many cases of NFL teams painting their fields green to make them look good for television. Playing on painted dirt can result in further increase in serious injuries in winter conditions. The Texans better do a better job of picking better footware..........especially since many of our players are coming off of or playing with joint injuries.

NFL Weather Report: Texans vs. Ravens

According to the National Weather Service, temperatures will reach just 25 degrees on Saturday afternoon in Baltimore, meaning Texans vs. Ravens should expect even colder temperatures considering its 4:30 p.m. ET kick off.

In addition, 11-17 mph winds with gusts up to 31 mph, are expected as well, which will make the conditions feel much colder for the players on the field.

The hourly breakdown provides even more detail, as temperatures between 21-24 degrees should be present throughout the game with the wind chill sitting between 8-11 degrees.

Further, 14-16 mph breezes could also be blowing, which certainly won't help either offense put points on the board.

In fact, unders are 53-27 (66.3%) in Ravens games played in winds of at least 10 mph dating back to the 2003 season.

The NFL betting market appears to have taken note of the weather report as well considering the Texans vs. Ravens over/under has dropped from 45.5 to 43.5 as of the time of writing, and don't be surprised if it continues to fall as more bettors become aware of this forecast.
Unless I overlooked it, I find no mention whether the field is heated. I'm assuming it is not, since Baltimore is not really that far north. But a heated field does alleviate one concern.

One can be assured that if they are anticipating playing in a cold game, they will not be practicing indoors in their underwear. :)

You assuming that's the case doesn't mean it is.

I still say the whole cold weather team vs warm weather team is way overrated. It effects everyone as individuals, not as a team. Acclimated or not. Some guys love the cold and will be out there in short sleeves and all fired up. Others will be bundled up dreaming of fireplaces and hot cocoa. Hell, I've lived in Houston and worked outdoors in the Houston heat my entire life. When it's 45 degrees here I'll be the one in shorts and a t-shirt. I'm certainly not acclimated to it.

I don't understand the Ravens "edge" angle. Weather don't effect them? The last time that team played a game the weather was nothing like today, this will be their first time in those elements this season. & guys like Lamar don't like to play in this weather anymore than anyone else. At least his performance says as much.

Not all of those Ravens grew up in that crap. Justlike many of our guys did.

IMO, the “edge” is that cold and wind favors the running game, and if rushing the ball is a major factor, the Ravens have the edge in that regard. They have the #1 rushing attack in the NFL without question. So if windy conditions make long passes a shaky proposition, being able to run the ball will be paramount.

Sorry, but I have to pump the breaks on Demeco's comment. Being out there in 20-30 degree weather for a couple of hours through 2 days does not prepare a player for playing in that weather.............especially since all of our players (except for Deiter who was coming off of "illness") on the Injury Report either did not participate or had limited participation in practices which were very close to walk-through practices.......That goes for those not even on the Injury Report.

With all-out push by players, especially when not acclimated to strange conditions, you can expect muscle dysfunction/contractions/spasms/tears. Muscles will be significantly affected by the cold no matter the attempts to keep them warm.

Quarterbacks find it very difficult to grip the ball in severely cold conditions. Their hands and fingers become numb and tight. Moreover, they have less flexibility in the finger muscles. All this impacts the quarterback's grip, passing ability and ball security. Quarterbacks generate spin and velocity on the ball with their hands. The freezing weather makes that much more difficult.

But the biggest issue for all players in extreme conditions is how they deal with hits and injuries. Stingers and big hits can cause players to suffer contusions. And it takes players longer to recover or gather their breath after getting winded or taking a bone-jarring hit.

Muscle aches and pains take longer to settle.

This article regarding how freezing temps can affect so many aspects of the game, especially when players are not used to dealing with them.>>>>>

Baby, it's cold outside: How cold temps affect NFL games

See guys even Doc is contributing to the Ravens jinx 😁

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Unless I overlooked it, I find no mention whether the field is heated. I'm assuming it is not, since Baltimore is not really that far north. But a heated field does alleviate one concern.
Most northern NFL stadiums have heated grass fields. M&T Bank Stadium installed their's in 2016 when they converted from artificial turf to grass. The system warms the soil and the grass roots so the grass supposedly does not die in cold freezing weather. But the blades, although they were also supposed to, do not warm as much as they were expected to. The main problem with these systems is that the warmth keeps a layer of moisture on the blades due to the contrasting surface/ambient temps it creates. Hence, these fields become slippery in freezing weather.

Last edited:

totally agree. If you want a recent example, go back to Miami and KC. Miami said the same things about it impacting both teams, and then went out and folded like a cheap suit. They couldn’t wait for that game to end to just get warm. While the weather isn’t as extreme, I feel it’s somewhat naive to think the elements don’t favor the Ravens, especially at their house.

Back