Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans vs. Eagles Matchups

texasguy346 said:
You knock out Tommy Maddox in Week 1....oh wait....that's right that team had TALENT.

Carson Palmer argument is weak. He tore his ACL in the playoffs, and he's already back. Just a guess here, but if Palmer, Manning, or Brady came back mid season they'd still be among the top QBs in the NFL.

LMAO! You just do not get it. Carson Palmer argument weak? So if he got hurt this weekend and got taken out for the season, the Bengals will still be a playoff contender? Woah..... okie dokie then. We have a live one here. LOL! Plus, you really think that if these guys did not play until halfway through the season -- that they would still be the Top 3 QBs in the NFL. Wow..... THEY ARE BIONIC... NO.... THEY ARE SUPERMEN! If you really think that those three can throw at least 26 TDs in 8 games and over 4110 yards, no more replying to your posts. :rolleyes:

texasguy346 said:
How is it then that a QB from another team that pounds the ball, the Panthers, has similar numbers to one of the "TOP 3 NFL QBs". Seems like the QB in the pass happy offense should have better numbers if he was, indeed, a Top 3 NFL QB. Perhaps he really isn't a Top 3 NFL QB then, and perhaps that's only in the minds of Eagles homers.

He's definately a Top 10 NFL QB, but Top 3 is one helluva stretch.
I didn't say he was top 3. However he is the fourth best IMHO. Only Manning, Brady and Palmer are better in my eyes.

southtexan said:
Yes, It will...I took that route on my way to Erie, PA.

Oh okay. I fly and never drive. Why would you post that to me anyways? Did I ever make it seem like I do not like Texas. Nooooo. I have ever insulted you. Noooo. Geeesh. :rolleyes:

Green Bird said:
Yes, but the Eagles have a recent history of playoff success to go on, and any twit with 1/2 a brain knows that last year was a result of so many injuries it was comical.

The preseason is for "bubble" players trying to make a team. That's why most starters play one half at the most in a game. Anyone making predictions based on the preseason has absolutely no clue what the NFL is about.
What's a twit??

Philly is going to lose, because philly fans keep saying things like "twit"

FlyEaglesFly said:
I didn't say he was top 3. However he is the fourth best IMHO. Only Manning, Brady and Palmer are better in my eyes.

Perhaps you should read back a few pages then. That's what this whole thing is about. One of your Eagle faithful made the observation that he was a Top 3 NFL QB. My point was merely to point out that he definately was not. Top 3 in the NFC... sure, but not in the NFL.

flylikeaneagle said:
Oh okay. I fly and never drive. Why would you post that to me anyways? Did I ever make it seem like I do not like Texas. Nooooo. I have ever insulted you. Noooo. Geeesh. :rolleyes:
Just having some fun.

furferret2 said:
I hope you are saying that the off-field stuff was comical and not the on-field, because Texan fans are the LAST ones who should be talking about comical performances on the field.

Thank you for feeling the same way about TO as us.

If you had any men in your locker room, you never would have had a problem with the Great T.O.

LBC_Justin said:
1. The sample size of 80 is a very convienent number. Brady has started 79 games. McNabb only has 88. LOL notice on INT % stat box, Tom Brady is included because the results favor McNabb. This is the perfect example of stats being molded to fit an argument.

2. McNabb hasn't played long enough to be the starter when the Eagles have a poor defense or a poor O-line. Peyton Manning, Steve McNair and Brett Farve all have. Which makes their numbers look all the more impressive.

3. Philly has been known for their Defense. A good Defense might have a little impact on a QB's winning percentage, at least that is what my friend Ben Rothlisberger told me. LOL
For the record, I'd take Brady in a heart beat. But any way stop trying to discount what McNabb has done by saying he's had good O line play or good defenses. His winning percentage is astounding no matter what angle you look at it from.

texasguy346 said:
Perhaps you should read back a few pages then. That's what this whole thing is about. One of your Eagle faithful made the observation that he was a Top 3 NFL QB. My point was merely to point out that he definately was not. Top 3 in the NFC... sure, but not in the NFL.
So, what? Top 3, top 4, what does it matter? He's an elite QB period.

texasguy346 said:
How is it then that a QB from another team that pounds the ball, the Panthers, has similar numbers to one of the "TOP 3 NFL QBs". Seems like the QB in the pass happy offense should have better numbers if he was, indeed, a Top 3 NFL QB. Perhaps he really isn't a Top 3 NFL QB then, and perhaps that's only in the minds of Eagles homers.

He's definately a Top 10 NFL QB, but Top 3 is one helluva stretch.

Are you talking about last year again? Have you not been reading or paying attention? Delhomme was healthy all year. MCNABB WAS INJURED ALL YEAR. OF course he would have better numbers. Lay off the liquor unless you are sharing.

SESupergenius said:
I think the key the matchup is how well we can bootleg and make the defensive line (the Eagles biggest Strength) a non factor. By rolling out a lot we have the defensive line void and put the pressure on the linebackers and defensive backs to make plays. Linebackers for the Eagles are a little suspect in the passing game and Carr has shown that he is indecisive on the run. This is the greatest questionmark for the Texans. They should be able to run the ball based on the bootleg setup. On defense however, McNabb and Stallworth may still not be on the same page and with Avant and Baskett being rookies, I'm left wonder if our less than stellar secondary can actually contain McNabb with so few weapons.

How easily we forget a team last tried to implement that scheme against the Eagles. It was the 2004 NFC Title Game. Well, we all know how Vick and co. faired against Jevon Kearse and others....

:redtowel:

flylikeaneagle said:
LMAO! You just do not get it. Carson Palmer argument weak? So if he got hurt this weekend and got taken out for the season, the Bengals will still be a playoff contender? Woah..... okie dokie then. We have a live one here. LOL! Plus, you really think that if these guys did not play until halfway through the season -- that they would still be the Top 3 QBs in the NFL. Wow..... THEY ARE BIONIC... NO.... THEY ARE SUPERMEN! If you really think that those three can throw at least 26 TDs in 8 games and over 4110 yards, no more replying to your posts. :rolleyes:

Top 3 in QB Rating of course. Manning's lowest QB rating with the exception of his rookie season was 84.1 That's exactly McNabb's career average. Most of his career he's sported 90 plus QB ratings. Given half a season Manning, Palmer, and Brady would all likely put up better numbers than McNabb.

Green Bird said:
No it isn't. Read the previous post.

Here's some help. The rest of America tends to recognize the Merriam Webster Dictionary over the "redneck" edition.

I prefer the redneck edition. :chicken: A lot more entertaining.

flylikeaneagle said:
Wow.... this thread is hilarious. I give some of you Texans fans kudos for knowing what is what and others --- well y'all have some major issues.

Howard had no help when he was with the Saints. Everybody knows that. Come on now. Putting him in there on the Eagles Defense with Kearse is going to be insane. Everybody knows that you need at least one great DE and one decent DE on the ends to even be competitive. One side breaks down, the other one does also. Have you ever even played one down of football in your life? Oh yeah, watch out for McCoy... the guy is one crazy mofo out on the field.

Darren Howard had 11 sacks as a rookie. He played on the same OL as JoeJohnson & LeRoyGlover. He had MarkFields at Linebaker, I believe they were all ProBowlers.

Or did you mean that he had no help last year?? with WillieWhitehead(whose been starting with the Saints since '99. WillSmith(not the rapper), and Charles Grant. Or... could he just not hang??

texasguy346 said:
Top 3 in QB Rating of course. Manning's lowest QB rating with the exception of his rookie season was 84.1 That's exactly McNabb's career average. Most of his career he's sported 90 plus QB ratings. Given half a season Manning, Palmer, and Brady would all likely put up better numbers than McNabb.

You are missing the point again. QB Ratings do not matter to anyone. They do not look at QB ratings when they put you in the Hall of Fame. They do look at QB ratings to give you player of the week. Let's go with what you are saying then and here what I come up with --- hopefully you will see how mute your point it:

Randel El ---- 158.3
Tomlinson --- 153.1
Jeff Blake --- 129.2
Quinn Gray -- 119.0
C. Portis ---- 118.8

Top 5 QBs right there. :rolleyes:

Hrm, I really thought the word "twit" was primarily a British slang insult. I guess they have a few things worth keeping other then Tea, and Monty Python.

Edit: I just don't see why we are talking about it. That includes me, shut up Riot... ...... ..... must...not ....typ

RiotCommander said:
Hrm, I really thought the word "twit" was primarily a British slang insult. I guess they have a few things worth keeping other then Tea, and Monty Python.

Edit: I just don't see why we are talking about it. That includes me, shut up Riot... ...... ..... must...not ....typ
Don't want to discuss it? Guess what? Don't have to. Keep it movin'

flylikeaneagle said:
You are missing the point again. QB Ratings do not matter to anyone. They do not look at QB ratings when they put you in the Hall of Fame. They do look at QB ratings to give you player of the week. Let's go with what you are saying then and here what I come up with --- hopefully you will see how mute your point it:

Randel El ---- 158.3
Tomlinson --- 153.1
Jeff Blake --- 129.2
Quinn Gray -- 119.0
C. Portis ---- 118.8

A mute point? Is that a point without any sound? Since this is the second time you've used this I'll assume you just don't understand the correct word. Understandable as you're an Eagles fan. The word is moot NOT mute. Alright moving on.

You don't like QB ratings do you?

Okay how about passing yards? We'll even use the TO year for McNabb.

There are seven QBs with more passing yards. One of which is a guy from a run heavy offense (Delhomme).
Passing Yards

flylikeaneagle said:

Randel El ---- 158.3
Tomlinson --- 153.1
Jeff Blake --- 129.2
Quinn Gray -- 119.0
C. Portis ---- 118.8

Maybe they should trade for Portis and put him under center! It's an upgrade.

thunderkyss said:
Darren Howard had 11 sacks as a rookie. He played on the same OL as JoeJohnson & LeRoyGlover. He had MarkFields at Linebaker, I believe they were all ProBowlers.

Or did you mean that he had no help last year?? with WillieWhitehead(whose been starting with the Saints since '99. WillSmith(not the rapper), and Charles Grant. Or... could he just not hang??

Dayum... forgot about Grant but he did not do that well in the sack department last year... neither did Howard I believe. You got me there though. :crutch: Will Smith is fun to watch.

As much as I really like McNabb he is going to be in "The Hall of the Really Good". He could turn that all around with a ring on his finger and a few more great years. But if there was a vote right now its no.

texasguy346 said:
A mute point? Is that a point without any sound? Since this is the second time you've used this I'll assume you just don't understand the correct word. Understandable as you're an Eagles fan. The word is moot NOT mute. Alright moving on.

You don't like QB ratings do you?

Okay how about passing yards? We'll even use the TO year for McNabb.

There are seven QBs with more passing yards. One of which is a guy from a run heavy offense (Delhomme).
Passing Yards
This would be a very compelling argument. Sans the fact that McNabb played one series in the next to last game, and none in the final game.

Next.

Green Bird said:
This would be a very compelling argument. Sans the fact that McNabb played one series in the next to last game, and none in the final game.

Next.

Oh so with the last 2 games he would've passed for nearly a 1000 yards? Putting himself past the top 3 in passing yards? Well if he averages 500 yards a game maybe we should put him in the HOF. :rolleyes: But we'd have to forget that Manning played sparingly at the end of the season as well.

Green Bird said:

Next.

Yeah, so add at least 500-600 yards there. Plus, look at the TDs and INTs. McNabb was clearly better. Only ones that were better that year were Manning and Culpepper. Culpepper was on FIRE. That was fun to watch.

Green Bird said:
Ah, namecalling.

The answer to "I have nothing smart to say, nor a real compelling argument to add."

You could have done this :tease:
and appeared moer intelligent.
Man, I just learned a new word today. I want it to use it in a sentence.

texasguy346 said:
Oh so with the last 2 games he would've passed for nearly a 1000 yards? Putting himself past the top 3 in passing yards? Well if he averages 500 yards a game maybe we should put him in the HOF. :rolleyes: But we'd have to forget that Manning played sparingly at the end of the season as well.
Actually, if he would have passed for just 200/game (really conservative) in the last two, he would have been 4th behind Jake Plummer, who, by the way, had 27 TD's and 20 INT's compared to 31 TD's and 8 INT's by McNabb.

I'm thinking he could be considered top 3 with those numbers.

Green Bird said:
Actually, if he would have passed for just 200/game (really conservative) in the last two, he would have been 4th behind Jake Plummer, who, by the way, had 27 TD's and 20 INT's compared to 31 TD's and 8 INT's by McNabb.

I'm thinking he could be considered top 3 with those numbers.

In his best season. Has he shown anywhere near that production before or since? I think not.

Green Bird said:
Let's start small first.
Actually, let's start out with one that most Texans' fans are familiar with:

"And with the first pick in the (Insert any year) NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select.....

texasguy346 said:
In his best season. Has he shown anywhere near that production before or since? I think not.
Actually, in 9 games last year, he threw for 2507 yards, 16 touchdowns, and 9 interceptions.

Let me repeat: 9 GAMES.

texasguy346 said:
And Texans fans are the ones here not being realistic...?:homer:

Even McNabb wouldn't call himself a top 3 QB in the NFL, and we all know where TO ranks McNabb...probably just below Garcia.

I kid around... I joke a bit.

But in all honesty, McNabb is the best QB in the NFC, and amoung the Top3.

Peyton, Brady, McNabb...... that's the way I see it.

Palmer....... hmm......... Let's see at least 2 good seasons....... two ProBowl seasons before we put him in the upper echelon of QBs. IMHO one of the things that makes a QB a "Top 3" or "Top 10" or whatever, is the ability to do it year after year....... game after game.

& when we see JakeDelhomme win a game without DeshaunFoster, & SteveSmith, we can't put him in that group either. McNabb wins games....... Delhomme doesn't lose them.

Hasselback is close........ top 10 in the NFC easy... but he's balding.....

Bulger...... again, top 10 in the NFC easy......
===================================================
But, back to bashing the Eagles.

McNabb lost the SuperBowl in 2004. He could've won it, he should've won it. But he didn't. The greatest WR to every grace the NFL had the best game of his life....... but McChoke choked.

AFC Championship game, 2003 & 2002....... McNabb lost those games as well.
He choked........ BrainFarted, Screwed the pooch.........

he is only slightly smarter than Aaron Brooks.

Green Bird said:
Actually, in 9 games last year, he threw for 2507 yards, 16 touchdowns, and 9 interceptions.

In 8 games Bulger threw for 2297 yards, 14 TDs, 9 INTs on a bad Rams team. Guess that makes him a top 3 QB too right? Extrapolate that out to 16 games and you get around 4500 yds ~26 TDs. Guess that's not much evidence of McNabb's worthiness to be considered a top 3 QB.

Green Bird said:

That's 1 INT per game.... I'd hate knowing that my QB was going to throw 1 INT per game......

Oh yeah... McNabb joined QBs Dan Marino (twice) and Daunte Culpepper (twice) as one of four QBs since 1970 with multiple 5TD games on their resumes. Did that hurt last year. McNabb also got off to a good start in 2005, and ranked 1st in the NFL in attempts (357), 2nd in completions (211) and passing yards (2,507), and tied for 3rd in passing TDs (16) -- all while playing hurt with a Sports Hernia until he was taken in mid-November. He was especially proficient on third-down attempts in the month of September, completing 66.7 percent (18 of 27) for 330 yards with a 133.3 passer rating (tops in the NFL)... all while hurt. Just cool to think about. Not saying he is the best with those stats but it impressive.

NFL Record Books:

Most Consecutive Passes Completed in NFL History
24 Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia vs. N.Y. Giants (10), Nov. 28, 2004; vs. Green Bay (14), Dec. 5, 2004

And a several more times he is in there.

Did not see Carr's name in there anywhere...... oh... wait.... there it is. Most times sacked in a season... hell.. he is in there twice. LMAO!!!!!!!!

mattwill said:
I'm a diehard Eagles fan, and there is no such thing as an easy win in the NFL ... especially on opening weekend. Any Eagles fan who doesn't expect the Texans to come out loaded for bear is a fool. The expression we use on the Eagles Message Board (EMB) for a fool who posts on the EMB is a "Tater". We have more Taters than non-Taters on the EMB, so feel free to use that term in your responses to trolling Philadelphia fans who come here.

With that said, I do expect the Eagles will win in the end on Sunday. The key mismatch area between the two teams is along the Line of Scrimmage (LOS). The Eagles D-line is very talented and very deep. All eight DEs and DTs will play substantial minutes, and all eight can bring serious pressure on Carr. The full eight player rotation will mean thet the Texans' O-line will constantly be seeing different looks and will be regularly facing well rested players. Carr is going to be in for a long day. His best option will be to go with 3 step drops and quick throws. If the Texans can establish a running game early, that will help Carr alot. The key question is, can they do that?

On Offense, the biggest Eagles weakness in this game is going to be the inexperience of the Eagles' WRs, but their TEs and Brian Westbrook should give Donovan McNabb plenty of non-WR targets on each passing play.

The battle between the Texans' D-line and the Eagles' O-line for control of the LOS during running plays will be key. The 2005 Eagles made no commitment to the running game, but if the Eagles are going to be successful in 2006, they will need to run in at least 45% of their offensive snaps. Westbrrok, Buckhalter and Moats are going to need to be patient and use the blocking of the Eagles' O-line to pound out a running game. The Texans are going to need to take that running game away by stuffing the running lanes. That will only happen if the Texans' D-line neutralizes the Eagles blockers and the LBs and SS come up and plug the resultant gaps. My question to you Texans fans is, "can the Texans' D accomplish that?" If they can't I think it is going to be a long afternoon for y'all.

Thoughts?

:listening :neener: : :ninja: ::yawn:

Green Bird said:
No they won't. They're the same ones who said that Brad Johnson was a better QB because he had a higher QB rating than McNabb last season.

I thought we said Brad Johnson was better because he had a SuperBowl Ring.......:stirpot:

Green Bird said:

And with a sports hernia all that time. Even Brett Favre's lover Madden said he was nuts. lol

thunderkyss said:
I kid around... I joke a bit.

But in all honesty, McNabb is the best QB in the NFC, and amoung the Top3.

Peyton, Brady, McNabb...... that's the way I see it.

Palmer....... hmm......... Let's see at least 2 good seasons....... two ProBowl seasons before we put him in the upper echelon of QBs. IMHO one of the things that makes a QB a "Top 3" or "Top 10" or whatever, is the ability to do it year after year....... game after game.

& when we see JakeDelhomme win a game without DeshaunFoster, & SteveSmith, we can't put him in that group either. McNabb wins games....... Delhomme doesn't lose them.

Hasselback is close........ top 10 in the NFC easy... but he's balding.....

Bulger...... again, top 10 in the NFC easy......
===================================================
But, back to bashing the Eagles.

McNabb lost the SuperBowl in 2004. He could've won it, he should've won it. But he didn't. The greatest WR to every grace the NFL had the best game of his life....... but McChoke choked.

AFC Championship game, 2003 & 2002....... McNabb lost those games as well.
He choked........ BrainFarted, Screwed the pooch.........

he is only slightly smarter than Aaron Brooks.

LMAO!!!! I knew that all had to end. Yeah, back to the trash talking. :hides: You would not put Bulger in the Top 5 in the NFC?

FlyEaglesFly said:
Yes, let's ignore the fact that the Steelers pound the ball. The Eagles offense revolves arouns the pass bud.

There's a difference in "revolving around the pass" & not being able to run the ball. The Eagles fall into the later category.

thunderkyss said:
That's 1 INT per game.... I'd hate knowing that my QB was going to throw 1 INT per game......
David Carr 2005:

16 Games

2488 yards (156 yds/game - OUCH!!!)
14 TD's - 11 INT's - Nearly 1-1 (Double OUCH!!!)
QB Rating (Since that seems to be most important thing to most people here) - 77.2

I'd hate to know that my QB was named David Carr.

Back