Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans vs. Eagles Matchups

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:
Let's look at two of those "no name late rounders" who actually left the Broncos to play in another system...Clinton Portis (2 seasons with the 'skins 2831 yards and 16 rushing TDs) and Reuben Droughns (1 season with Cleveland 1232 yards and 2 TDs). Both players put up comparable numbers while in Denver. It MUST all be the scheme. They are just plain good runners!

Nice of you to leave out the ypc.

Portis in Denver 5.5 ypc, 29 TD's, 24 runs of 20+
Portis in Skinsville 4.1 ypc, 16 TD's, 11 runs of 20+

Droughns in Denver 4.5 ypc, 6 TD's, 8 runs of 20+
Droughns in Dawgland 4.0 ypc, 2 TD's, 6 runs of 20+

Yeah, scheme has nothing to do with it--:ok:

Gotta love it when people provide examples which disprove their point.

+Denver actually has an assemblance of an O-line with former pro-bowlers.

Denver actually has an OL with 1 1st day pick on it. Good scouting and coaching got them to the pro-bowl.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
Ummm, thats not a plus. If they hadn't been in a zone bblocking system, at least you could argue there was potential. Since they have been, and have been so bad, and are starting a rookie LT, the OL will still stink this year.

Your OL has been the worst in football, and will continue to be so.

Let me type small words for you. I was fixing something not listing it as a good thing. If you had bothered to ldo more than look at sack stats (a pass protection issue) when discussing run blocking however you would have seen the Texans run blocking has been far better than the pass blocking. Having Kubiak and Sherman come fully implement the system should and appears to have elevated the system to where it should be. As I referenced, Pendry refused to implement back side cut blocks which is a key part of the system as an example. Your continuing comment is nothing more than optimism on your part.

infantrycak said:
Nice of you to leave out the ypc.

Portis in Denver 5.5 ypc, 29 TD's, 24 runs of 20+
Portis in Skinsville 4.1 ypc, 16 TD's, 11 runs of 20+

Droughns in Denver 4.5 ypc, 6 TD's, 8 runs of 20+
Droughns in Dawgland 4.0 ypc, 2 TD's, 6 runs of 20+

Yeah, scheme has nothing to do with it--:ok:

Gotta love it when people provide examples which disprove their point.

Denver actually has an OL with 1 1st day pick on it. Good scouting and coaching got them to the pro-bowl.

Still getting over 4 yards per carry and getting over 1000 yards...also the o-line doesnt have anything to do with 20+ yard runs...the O-line blocks up front...if you think they can get up field faster than the RB to even up to 10 yards then you are sadly mistaken...20+ yard runs are the RB making the secondary miss.

I took out my insult on your correcting my spelling of assemblance because it looks like you realized the error in your ways of calling me out when I was right.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:
also the o-line doesnt have anything to do with 20+ yard runs...the O-line blocks up front...if you think they can get up field faster than the RB to even up to 10 yards then you are sadly mistaken...20+ yard runs are the RB making the secondary miss.

You are the person sadly mistaken and obviously have zero understanding of the point of the ZBS where the OL are specifically to disengage and block at the 2nd level. Even a cursory look at Denver, Atlanta or Houston this preseason will show OLmen making blocks 10-15 yds down field. Plus your argument is bogus on its face when Portis is still Portis so if it is all on the RB what happened?--oh yeah, the scheme changed.

infantrycak said:
You are the person sadly mistaken and obviously have zero understanding of the point of the ZBS where the OL are specifically to disengage and block at the 2nd level. Even a cursory look at Denver, Atlanta or Houston this preseason will show OLmen making blocks 10-15 yds down field. Plus your argument is bogus on its face when Portis is still Portis so if it is all on the RB what happened?--oh yeah, the scheme changed.

I haven't watched that closely but I find it hard to believe that an OL can get the blocks on the DLine enough to open a hole before disengaging and then as the RB gets through the hole the OL can move 10-15yds down the field to make blocks again. The physics just don't make sense...

infantrycak said:
Let me type small words for you. I was fixing something not listing it as a good thing. If you had bothered to ldo more than look at sack stats (a pass protection issue) when discussing run blocking however you would have seen the Texans run blocking has been far better than the pass blocking. Having Kubiak and Sherman come fully implement the system should and appears to have elevated the system to where it should be. As I referenced, Pendry refused to implement back side cut blocks which is a key part of the system as an example. Your continuing comment is nothing more than optimism on your part.

I could care less about sacks.

Everyone knows your pass blocking simply sucks. Sucks, as in the worst in football.

As far as run blocking, the Texans are mediocre. Not really good, but not as bad as they are at pass blocking.

Trotter, Kearse, Howard, Bunkley, Patterson, Cole, Walker, and Rayburn are going to eat your OL for lunch.

Seriously, if the Texans put up 17 points I'll consider it a bad performance from our defense.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
I could care less about sacks.

Everyone knows your pass blocking simply sucks. Sucks, as in the worst in football.

As far as run blocking, the Texans are mediocre. Not really good, but not as bad as they are at pass blocking.

Trotter, Kearse, Howard, Bunkley, Patterson, Cole, Walker, and Rayburn are going to eat your OL for lunch.

Seriously, if the Texans put up 17 points I'll consider it a bad performance from our defense.

I have Philly's D starting this week against Houston over Tampa Bay's D against Baltimore...that's how confident I am at getting turnovers and sacks.

infantrycak said:

Actually a ZBS is based on OL reads. Depending on the defense being played, the blocking changes.

ZBS work really well against 2 gap systems because the DTs are so immobile. Thus, you can get good angles on them, and have interior lineman release to attack LBs.

1 gap systems (like the Eagles run) usually have an advantage over zone blocking offenses, since the DL doesn't give up much size to the OL, but is in general MUCH more athletic.

The Texans OL is not going to be able to get off their blocks if they want to win - the Eagles DL is simply too athletic with guys like Kearse, Walker, Howard, Cole, Bunkley, and McDougle. They need to hold their blocks, and hope that the lead blocker can beat Trotter (good luck, he is the best run stuffing MLB in the NFL).

Yea I remember when Donny boy had TO and I had him every week starting. Man the numbers they put up. Now I have him on the shelf next to my saltine crackers and some of his soup.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:
I have Philly's D starting this week against Houston over Tampa Bay's D against Baltimore...that's how confident I am at getting turnovers and sacks.

I couldn't agree more.

I'm thinking at LEAST 5 sacks. Carr isn't going to do ish.

It's funny having a 2 win team so confident against the Eagles. If only they knew we were missing more pro-bowlers last year then they have had in their teams history...

Green Bird said:
Oh yes. The vaunted Texans running game.

With Dominick Da.....

Wait.
clearly you don't know much about the Texans.

We had the most effective running game in the AFC South last year. Anytime Davis went down a back up went in and put up the EXACT same numbers Davis put up. I firmly believe Davis is a solid player but he is nothing special talentwise. He is the product of the system and our new guys will be the product of an even better system.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
I couldn't agree more.

It's funny having a 2 win team so confident against the Eagles. If only they knew we were missing more pro-bowlers last year then they have had in their teams history...

You are the one arguing with us. You had to create the profile. Your team is on the downslide against NY, Dallas, and Washington, and you cant argue with them so you are over here trying to salvage your pride you had a couple of years ago.

Face it. The NFC caught up and you are at...what was it? Oh yeah, the bottom of the barrel.:deadhorse

I've also heard talk on here that the Texans are a different team in their home opener...you mean an average loss of just over 11 points per home opener! Impressive! Or maybe you just meant a different team altogether at home...a fantastic 10-22 record! Even by recent history, 1 win last season and 3 the season before...sounds like the team really gets motivated by the fans...

TexansBull said:
You are the one arguing with us. You had to create the profile. Your team is on the downslide against NY, Dallas, and Washington, and you cant argue with them so you are over here trying to salvage your pride you had a couple of years ago.

Face it. The NFC caught up and you are at...what was it? Oh yeah, the bottom of the barrel.:deadhorse

You'll see when we are back in the playoffs this year after we get 1st or 2nd in the division...Washington is crap (their offense is terrible), Giants are overrated (Eli is not as good as he is made out), and Dallas will run into problems with TO...we now have a healthy team once again (not 11 starters on IR like last year)...and a team without distractions. They have focus and talent similar to if not better than when they went to the consecutive NFC Championships.

LBC_Justin said:
clearly you don't know much about the Texans.

We had the most effective running game in the AFC South last year. Anytime Davis went down a back up went in and put up the EXACT same numbers Davis put up. I firmly believe Davis is a solid player but he is nothing special talentwise. He is the product of the system and our new guys will be the product of an even better system.

No offense, but playing Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis twice a year EVERY year, plus having to play the big Tuna twice a year makes us rather unconcerned with the Texans running game.

We've seen it all. :yawn:

If the Texans running game was so great, it would have won them more then 2 games.

Take away their best back, and it's even weaker.

trotter has this saying " bring it back to me." the eagles want the offensives to stretch it out because, while our LB's might not be great, they are fast enough to make the RB cut it back. exactly to trotter. the BEST run stopping linebacker in the league.

what makes LT so good? he has UNGODLY ability to cut back. how many rushing yards did he have against us last year?

and i'm pretty sure when we faced denver last year almost our entire Dline was injured. hollis had a thigh bruise the size of a football. and i believe rayburn had a bum ankle. and walker had a thigh bruise as well.

lets hope to a good game though! i don't want to have the ability to turn it off and go somewhere else to have some fun.

TexansBull said:

I stomp NFCE trolls like OJ offs ex wives.

As far as the NFCE goes, it will come down to the Birds or the Giants - which ever team stays healthy.

The Cowboys and SKins are weak. No QB, poor line play, and no depth.

BTW - I know it is hard to fathom, being a Texans fan and all - but we actually have all-star players. When they get injured (by they, I mean 6 of them) it tends to hurt your record.

Just because your team sucks every year doesn't mean the Eagles - who have won nearly 70% of their games under Reid - do.

eagle.randall said:
Carl Dukes on the new morning show on ESPN 790, said he predicted that the fans would call for Sage to start instead of Carr by halftime in the Eagles game.

There's where you went wrong. Carl Dukes is a moron that can't get over the fact that the Texans didnt take VY. Feel sorry for the other host Brad Davies, moved all the way down from upstate New York to be drug down by that lead weight Dukes. He should know better than to think that the fans will dictate what the coaching staff does. If it were that way, they wouldnt have drafted Mario and made the less prudent choice in Bush or VY. The fans can call for what they want, Carr is the starter no matter what the fans think.

Yall can finish above the Wash-ups, Maybe NY, but not Dallas. TO can destroy a team...But I really think after seeing that go down twice, and as experencied as Parcells is that stuff will not go down here in Texas. Andy Reid and Donovan were too soft with him. But yall still have Carolina, Atlanta(hype though), Tampa, and others. Ya'lls division is as tough as ours. If ya'll can pull off the playoffs, job well done.

Green Bird said:
Actually, I follow the entire league very closely. I can see outside of my team, unlike most on this board.

Preseason? Preseason? Please stop the preseason argument. Anyone can clearly see that a team that needs upgrading at every (and I mean every) position would naturally take the best available player. No, not the Texans.

One thing that fails to get noticed about Kubiak's system is that you have to have talent across the offensive line for it to work. It may be true that you can plug any RB in there and get 1,000 yards, but if you've got crap up front, it doesn't work.

It's going to take a lot more than a 2nd rate rookie DE to stop the Colts. Start with prayer and poisoning their pre-game meal.
Dude, Did you really say "The Cowboys are a product of ESPN" and then have the nerve to take a jab at us for not taking Reggie Bush. Bush is the poster child for what ESPN can create. Thank the lord our coaches and staff can see past the hype.

LOL
You Eagle fans are funny. Dillusional but funny.

Eagles offense vs. Texans defense
Eagles Running Game
The Eagles haven't had a strong running game in a while (28th in the league in rushing yards last year, 19th in yards per rush), and while they've said they are committed to focusing more on the running game this year, but I'm not sure I see it. Their offensive line is huge and built more for a power running game, while their RBs are quite clearly meant more for a speed-type of running game and heavy involvement in the passing game. Brian Westbrook is a nice dual-threat RB, but he's never been much of a workhorse back at all (career high of 177 carries in a season and has only averaged 559 rushing yards per season throughout his career) and has relied heavily on the passing game for his success. It remains to be seen whether he can efficiently handle a heavier workload on the carries, or if his production will not increase much with those extra carries (see Tatum Bell who averaged something like 6.2 yards per carry on his first 10 carries of each game and only 2.something yards per carry on all additional carries). Correll Buckhalter is finally back after missing the last two seasons due to injuries and looks to provide a more powerful change of pace back and he looked fairly solid in the preseason, but it's yet to be seen how he does against real defenses during the regular season and how much punishment he can withstand. Ryan Moats is another decent speed back, but hasn't had a ton of production in his one season in the league. After all the promises to rejuvenate the rushing game, the Eagles still ranked 28th in the league in rushing yards and fell to 28th in yards per rush during this regular season. Meanwhile, the Texans run defense is probably going to be the strongest area of our team this year. We have a big and athletic front four (average weight of about 295 lbs. between our four starters) that has been very effective at disrupting opposing running games so far, and our LBs have been fairly solid finishing off plays, especially DeMeco Ryans at MLB. Our DBs are also fairly physical and all four current starters are not liabilities in against the run. During the preseason, our defense ranked 10th in rushing yards allowed (92.5) and 13th in yards allowed per rush (3.5) (drastic improvement over 32nd and 30th respectively during last season in the 3-4 cover 2 scheme that Fangio was running).

While Donovan McNabb's mobility will also contribute some to their rushing game, I don't see the Eagles getting more than 60 rushing yards on us barring a fluke long play, and I don't see them averaging much above 3.0 yards per carry. I think this is one area of the game we will beat the Eagles at.

Eagles Passing Game
The Eagles offense is definitely geared towards passing the ball, and with the loss of Terrell Owens there are some doubts as to who will be the main target. The Eagles last year ranked 8th in the league in passing yards while ranking 3rd in passing attempts and only ranking 27th in completion percentage, so they haven't been running an especially efficient passing attack, they frequently look for the big plays rather than making the safe play, which is one big reason why they were 30th in the league in 3rd down efficiency, 26th in time of possession, and 26th in fewest turnovers last regular season, and 22nd in sacks allowed. With Donovan McNabb back at the helm and presumably healthy, they can get away with that a little better than they did during the latter half of last season, but they are still a risk-taking offense, so there will be opportunities for our defense to make big plays and help turn the game in our favor. McNabb's targets will include Reggie Brown who is coming off a pretty strong rookie season, Hank Baskett who is a big target and has looked pretty good in the preseason, and the speedy duo of Donte Stallworth and Greg Lewis. Lewis has had limited but increasing productivity and Stallworth was finally coming around last year in New Orleans, but apparently there are some questions about his game. McNabb also has a nice TE in L.J. Smith, and he can definitely throw a good ball. Their receiving core can give us some matchup problems, as they have some speedy and big tandems, our DL's ability to apply pressure on McNabb and make him try to force some plays will be a big component to our success or lack thereof, and we will need a big game out of our DBs and LBs to prevent them from making big plays. I think we can keep them into nickle and diming the ball downfield, and I think if we can force them to do that, especially if we get good pressure on McNabb in the process, that he will start getting a little impatient and look to force more plays. Our defense has been pretty solid against the pass in the regular season (10th in yards allowed, 16th in completion percentage, 13th in sacks) and is 6th in 3rd down conversions. Although we need our CBs to play tighter on their guys and we need to continue to put better pressure on the QBs, we have prevented big plays (with the exception of the end of the KC game) and have been pretty solid when it matters most. Meanwhile, the Eagles passing offense has dropped to 11th in the league in yards, 26th in completion percentage, 30th in interceptions thrown, 25th in sacks allowed, and still only 24th in 3rd down conversions during this preseason. We probably haven't seen a passing game like this yet this year (the Rams and probably Broncos had much more talented WR groups, but they didn't look to pass as much). I think this will be the key to us winning this game, I have no doubts we can limit their running game, but can we continue to limit 3rd downs, prevent giving up big plays, and create a few big plays of our own?

It'll be very interesting to see how we can do against their passing game, and it will likely be the telling story in whether we win or lose. At this point I can see it going either way.

Eagles defense vs. Texans offense
Texans Running Game
The Texans had a relatively strong running game last year and, despite losing Domanick Davis for the year, the addition of Kubiak's system will only lead to better things for the Texans running game. The Texans have two pretty unproven players in Vernand Morency and Wali Lundy guiding to rushing attack with Ron Dayne as a third option, and the rushing attack has looked potent in this preseason. In the preseason, our offense ranked 6th in rushing yards and 3rd in yards per carry. The Eagles run defense was fairly solid but nothing special last year (21st in yards allowed although 10th in yards per rush, which no doubt helped them achieve their 5th place ranking in 3rd down conversions). They have added a few new players on defense, but overall it is pretty much the same, and in the preseason they ranked 19th in rushing yards allowed, 16th in yards per carry, and 21st in 3rd down conversions. They have a fairly strong LB core behind a DLine that is certainly one of the 3 best in the NFL, and although their DLine is built much more for speed and pass rushing than strength and run stopping (average weight of right around 280 lbs), those speedier lines can cause more trouble for zone blocking schemes because their more athletic DLinemen can get in the running gaps and disrupt plays better than bigger, slower lines.

If we can continue on the success that we had in the preseason, we should be able to move the ball well on the ground and keep our offense from getting into too many situations where they have to pass the ball, which will limit the Eagles explosive DLine from getting opportunities to tee off on Carr. I think we should be able to run the ball pretty effectively against the Eagles, I'm looking for 120+ yards on 4.5 yards per carry and we should be looking nice.

Texans Passing Game
The Texans passing game was horrible last year, but with the new system comes a new beginning in that phase of our offense too. In the preseason we still only ranked 18th in passing yards, but we were 5th in completion percentage, gave up the 3rd fewest sacks, and only threw one interception, so we were running a much more efficient offense. They have a couple good CBs in Brown and Sheppard and have a nice pair of safeties in Dawkins and Lewis, but we do have two big, very good targets in Johnson and Moulds, so we should be able to get the ball to the two of them if we get our offense running effectively. The Eagles defense 3rd in passing yards allowed, 10th in completion percentage, 1st in sacks, and 4th in interceptions during this preseason after finishing 21st in yards allowed, 16th in completion percentage, 26th in sacks, and 10th in interceptions last year. They also definitely look for the big plays on defense, sometimes at the expense of giving up some big plays (26th in NFL in yards allowed per completion last year), so there will be some opprtunities for big plays, especially if they start running some aggressive blitzes and schemes, and it will help out a lot if we can use play action and move the pocket around to help avoid some of this pressure and keep Carr a little more in his comfort zone.

We got off to a few slow starts, but I think if we can establish the running game a little better early on in the game and then use more play actions and roll outs to get Carr in a better rhythm and get him out of the pocket early then that will get us off to a much better start. Carr still is noticably jittery in the pocket, and the Eagles DLine can definitely provide a lot of pressure if we put ourselves in situations where we have to throw the ball, but I think their aggressive defense can be used against them in play actions. A big key to our passing game will be the effectiveness of our running game early and our ability to get Carr out on the move to relieve pressure and find open players downfield. This is also a little hard to predict at this point in time and could end up being pretty crucial in our ability to sustain drives, keep our defense off the field, maybe come up with a couple big plays, and put up some points.

There, that's my :twocents: on the matchups this weekend, I will refrain from joining the pretty pointless argument between our fans and the Eagles fans on here as neither side has any chance of convincing the other side until Sunday afternoon rolls around, not to mention the apparent lack of knowledge and intelligence coming from one of the fronts in the argument anyways, but I guess that's to be expected with the lack of respect we get from the national media.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
No offense, but playing Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis twice a year EVERY year, plus having to play the big Tuna twice a year makes us rather unconcerned with the Texans running game.

We've seen it all. :yawn:

If the Texans running game was so great, it would have won them more then 2 games.

Take away their best back, and it's even weaker.
Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis don't impress me that much. Well, not enough to say "oh man the Eagles play against such great players. How do the Texans possibly have a chance against them."

BTW, Until last year the Cowboys were garbage for the last several years.

Try having to face the freaking Colts offense twice a year. Let me remind you how YOUR team did the last time they faced Peyton and Edgerin James. During the 2002 season they were the only team to SPANK your team (35-13 ouch).

Just remember your team is in the NFC. A conference that has lost 5 of the last 6 superbowls.

while i applaud your very long and well written matchup scenario's, you're basing them on bad facts. i don't mind preseason facts, but as long as you use 1st preseason facts.

eagles first team defense only gave up 3 points on defense. and the eagles offense scored on every single first possession. all this while not having their best player on the field in westbrook for just about all of preseason and the addition of stallworth.

do you shade a guy over to stallworth for his speed alone? or do you let him go man on man. what about reggie? he proved himself last year that he's ready for a break out year. runs precise routes and can move in and out of traffic easily and knows how to get open. then what about westbrook? do you put a CB in there on him or keep a LB in? what if they line him and buck up in the backfield together and then split westbrook out? you're leaving yourself weak for a run up the middle with probably the biggest front 3 on the Oline as their is in the NFL. then you have to account for LJ. big target in the middle of the field that can't be pushed around that easy.

and the fact that mcnabb regularly hits 7+ recievers each game. so each player HAS to be accounted for.

i can't comment on the texans because id ont' follow them. i just know that they've struggled every single year in the NFL.

Green Bird said:
Yes because the Texans' scouting system is much better!

Seeing they chose the best player available in the draft in Reggie Bu....

What was that?
Reggie Bush is basically a faster version of Brian Westbrook with better jukes, but a far less physical running style (he's a pansy when it comes to contact. Is that woth $60M to you?

ok, I have to throw this out here real quick after saying I wouldn't, our team is totally new this year with a totally new running attack. Our running game last year was pretty good (ranked much better than yours BTW) and our run blocking has never been the problem, and with our new personnel on our line, better coaching, better scheme, and better attitude it will be much better. I've seen numerous times for us to not look at the Eagles lack of success last year as an indication of how their team is yet I've seen in every argument against our team a reference to last year's debacle. Well, your team is pretty much the same as last year whereas our's is a complete changeover in every facet of the game, so if there's a team that should expect dramatic improvement it is us. For the record Brian Westbrook had a grand total of one game last year over 90 rushing yards. While your defense did have some pretty good games against the run last year, in your week 8 game @ Denver (same Gary Kubiak running the same offense), you guys surrendered 255 yards on 36 carries (7.1 yards per carry), and allowed both Mike Anderson (126) and Tatum Bell (107) to pass the century mark, so apparently facing Barber and Portis twice a year and shutting down LaDanian Tomlinson the week before (7 yards on 17 carries which was a pretty impressive performance by your defense) didn't mean much against the Denver offense that we now run. In the course of that game, Denver controlled the ball for 37:00 of game play and won 49-21, so anything can happen on Sundays.

jamiethekiller said:
while i applaud your very long and well written matchup scenario's, you're basing them on bad facts. i don't mind preseason facts, but as long as you use 1st preseason facts.

eagles first team defense only gave up 3 points on defense. and the eagles offense scored on every single first possession. all this while not having their best player on the field in westbrook for just about all of preseason and the addition of stallworth.

do you shade a guy over to stallworth for his speed alone? or do you let him go man on man. what about reggie? he proved himself last year that he's ready for a break out year. runs precise routes and can move in and out of traffic easily and knows how to get open. then what about westbrook? do you put a CB in there on him or keep a LB in? what if they line him and buck up in the backfield together and then split westbrook out? you're leaving yourself weak for a run up the middle with probably the biggest front 3 on the Oline as their is in the NFL. then you have to account for LJ. big target in the middle of the field that can't be pushed around that easy.

and the fact that mcnabb regularly hits 7+ recievers each game. so each player HAS to be accounted for.

i can't comment on the texans because id ont' follow them. i just know that they've struggled every single year in the NFL.

I hate using preseason stats but that's all we have to go on right now on our current team, and it was meant more as an indication of how much we've improved over last year while your team hasn't changed much. Besides, the stats part of it was merely included for those people on here that like to see some kind of numbers to back up your arguments, the meat of my points were based much more on actually watching the teams rather than reading numbers off a computer screen and making generalizations from there. If you want an indication of what we'll be like look at Denver over the last decade. We aren't as talented yet, but it's the same coaching style and attitude, the same offensive scheme (#1 in total yards, rushing yards, points, and coincidentally wins over the last 11 years) and a similar defensive scheme. You guys had plenty of trouble with them last year. I am not an expert on the Eagles and could never claim to be one, although I have seen a decent amount of them. All I'm saying is if you're looking at past performance on us then you're looking in the entire wrong place and have no idea what we're going to be like this year going forward. Either way, it's pretty pointless to debate this at all as I've said in my previous post, so we'll have to see how the teams do on Sunday. I must admit I don't like facing your offense now as much as I did a week ago before Stallworth arrived (great deal on your part, even though he is a bit of a headcase you get a starting quality WR for a backup LB, not to mention I'm a little jealous of you guys getting Bunkley too, he should end up being a beast in the coming years. Mario is still the man, I just wish there was a way we could have gotten both of them, that would have made for an even nastier DLine). I think our defenses are fairly similar, you guys still have more talent in your secondary (I think Dunta Robinson is better than either of your CBs, but you have two good CBs and better FS & SS. I think our two teams have two of the top 5 DLines in the league, both are very athletic although yours is a little more explosive than ours in our current alignment and should provide a better pass rush while ours is bigger and stronger and should be better against the run. I'm eager to see how our team measures up against real competition in a game that matters, but I have been very pleased so far (not just in stats on a computer screen, but the whole way the team has been run after getting to see several practices during training camp and getting to see the games). Anyways, I'm tired and do not wish to contribute any more to this rather silly repartee going on so I'm out.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:
I've also heard talk on here that the Texans are a different team in their home opener...you mean an average loss of just over 11 points per home opener! Impressive! Or maybe you just meant a different team altogether at home...a fantastic 10-22 record! Even by recent history, 1 win last season and 3 the season before...sounds like the team really gets motivated by the fans...
Well, no matter what happens on Sunday, at least you know your post was coherrant...oh, wait..

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
I stomp NFCE trolls like OJ offs ex wives.

As far as the NFCE goes, it will come down to the Birds or the Giants - which ever team stays healthy.

The Cowboys and SKins are weak. No QB, poor line play, and no depth.

BTW - I know it is hard to fathom, being a Texans fan and all - but we actually have all-star players. When they get injured (by they, I mean 6 of them) it tends to hurt your record.

Just because your team sucks every year doesn't mean the Eagles - who have won nearly 70% of their games under Reid - do.
yeah, like loosing Pro-Bowl receiv...oh, dont have many of those, do ya?

Quick note on the point that "our talent on the offensive line does not match Denver's..blah blah blah". Denver has one started from their offensive line selected in the first round. Everyone else is an undrafted free agent or a low draft pick. Its not about talent, its about the system and finding players that fit that system.
Who knew those months of arguing about D'Brick, Reggie, VY and Mario would acctually help with anything? Go figre...

MorKnolle said:
Eagles offense vs. Texans defense
Eagles Running Game
Their offensive line is huge and built more for a power running game, while their RBs are quite clearly meant more for a speed-type of running game and heavy involvement in the passing game. After all the promises to rejuvenate the rushing game, the Eagles still ranked 28th in the league in rushing yards and fell to 28th in yards per rush during this regular season.

While Donovan McNabb's mobility will also contribute some to their rushing game, I don't see the Eagles getting more than 60 rushing yards on us barring a fluke long play, and I don't see them averaging much above 3.0 yards per carry. I think this is one area of the game we will beat the Eagles at.

Eagles Passing Game
With Donovan McNabb back at the helm and presumably healthy, they can get away with that a little better than they did during the latter half of last season, but they are still a risk-taking offense, so there will be opportunities for our defense to make big plays and help turn the game in our favor.

Their receiving core can give us some matchup problems, as they have some speedy and big tandems, our DL's ability to apply pressure on McNabb and make him try to force some plays will be a big component to our success or lack thereof, and we will need a big game out of our DBs and LBs to prevent them from making big plays.

Meanwhile, the Eagles passing offense has dropped to 11th in the league in yards, 26th in completion percentage, 30th in interceptions thrown, 25th in sacks allowed, and still only 24th in 3rd down conversions during this preseason.

Eagles defense vs. Texans offense
Texans Running Game
They have added a few new players on defense, but overall it is pretty much the same, and in the preseason they ranked 19th in rushing yards allowed, 16th in yards per carry, and 21st in 3rd down conversions.

They have a fairly strong LB core behind a DLine that is certainly one of the 3 best in the NFL, and although their DLine is built much more for speed and pass rushing than strength and run stopping (average weight of right around 280 lbs), those speedier lines can cause more trouble for zone blocking schemes because their more athletic DLinemen can get in the running gaps and disrupt plays better than bigger, slower lines.

Texans Passing Game
The Eagles defense 3rd in passing yards allowed, 10th in completion percentage, 1st in sacks, and 4th in interceptions during this preseason after finishing 21st in yards allowed, 16th in completion percentage, 26th in sacks, and 10th in interceptions last year.
Good write up MoreKnolle, in the spirit of friendly rivalry let me supplement what you've posted. Rather than repeat your whole post I included the sections that generated my comments.

Your assessment of the questionable match of the Eagles power blocking O-line and the quick backs is a good one. However, the Giants with Tiki Barber have shown that a small back who follows his blocks can explode through the holes and use quickness and speed to turn power runs into long gains when and if they break into the open. Time will tell if the Eagles' RBs have the discipline to wait on the blocks the way Emmitt used to do so effectively. They are talking the talk, but now they need to walk the walk. If they do, your prediction of 60 yards will prove to be very low. If not, you will probably be right on.

When you looked at the Eagles preseason passing game, you fell into a trap. Specifically the Eagles' starters never played as much as two Quarters of any game. If you go back to the Gamebook stats for the starters you will see that all the bad numbers you are reporting were the result of the play of the Eagles backups. The Eagles' starters scored points on every drive of every preseason game. McNabb's one turnover (interception) was overturned by the refs. In addition when you refer to the Eagles as a risk taking offense, remember that McNabb threw for over 30 TDs two years ago with less than 10 interceptions. No one in the history of the NFL has produced such a low risk / high reward performance. However, that was then and this is now. We'll see how well he plays with this new set of receivers.

When you say, "They have added a few new players on defense, but overall it is pretty much the same, and in the preseason they ranked 19th in rushing yards allowed, 16th in yards per carry, and 21st in 3rd down conversions.", you are again falling into a classic preseson game trap. The Eagles' starters gave up a total of 3 points in 4 games. The scrubs were the culprits that caused the poor overall stats you cite. BTW, those "few new players on defense" are Darren Howard, who has looked to be in his past Pro Bowl form in the preseason games and Broderick Bunkley the best DT in the Draft. In addition the Birds have gotten several Pro Bowl players back from injury, and overall the D looks like it has regained its pre 2005 form. Time will tell, but based on their performance in the preseason, the D-line will indeed give the Texans the kind of trouble that you describe.

With all that said, the game still has to be played on the field ... and anything can happen.

run-david-run said:
yeah, like losing Pro-Bowl receiv...oh, dont have many of those, do ya?
Your point is well taken, but given the fact that the Eagles' version of the WCO spreads the ball around much more than other offenses, the WRs are not as crucial to the O's success. For all the high profile attention the Eagles got when TO was there, the stats produced by the pre-TO Eagles Offense were virtually identical to the stats of the 2004 TO Offense.

MorKnolle said:
I think our defenses are fairly similar, you guys still have more talent in your secondary (I think Dunta Robinson is better than either of your CBs, but you have two good CBs and better FS & SS. I think our two teams have two of the top 5 DLines in the league, both are very athletic although yours is a little more explosive than ours in our current alignment and should provide a better pass rush while ours is bigger and stronger and should be better against the run. I'm eager to see how our team measures up against real competition in a game that matters, but I have been very pleased so far (not just in stats on a computer screen, but the whole way the team has been run after getting to see several practices during training camp and getting to see the games). Anyways, I'm tired and do not wish to contribute any more to this rather silly repartee going on so I'm out.
Excellent summary. I tend to agree with you that Dunta is a shade better than Sheppard or Brown, especially after their respective 2005 performances, but the number of Offensive receiving weapons McNabb has at his disposal is really quite frightening. Dunta can only cover one of those weapons. The others are going to cause the rest of the Texans' DBs and LBs a lot of matchup problems ... especially Westbrook and LJ Smith.

You are right that Stallworth was a great addition. He will be especially valuable in stretching the field with his speed, which will open up the underneath routes for Westbrook and Smith and Brown.

Green Bird said:
Yes, because Philly gave up 68 sacks a year ago, and McNabb has been sacked more than any other QB in the league since coming in.

Oh wait.

Read the whole post.... McNabb's mobility helped your OL's stats..... if you had bledsoe back there, he'd have given our QB a run for his money.

EF55 said:
Regarding Baldingers objectivity, I actually can see your point but for every baldinger out there as a journalist there are 2 Eagle Haters, I take the good with the bad, very few are uninfluenced by something. Baldinger a former Eagle himself covers the eagles at times whereas he is probably not as exposed to the Texans but he is not an Eagle Homer, he will pick against the Eagles quite often. I concede in part to your point on this because as an eagle fan we constantly feel the unfairness of the media, ala guys like Merril Hoge. This is conjecture on both of our parts to assume that Baldinger has not studied the Texans enough though.

hoge is no different to a guy like baldinger imo. hoge has pulled some doozies out of his rear end in the past and its guys like him and baldy that are impossible to listen to.....give us some substance with your colorful language and bold statements -- at times it appears as some of these guys are in a competition to see who can say the most colorful and biting things, whether or not they are based on any facts or objectivity. its insulting to those of us who watch and study the game and look for real insight and intelligent discussion. also, my point on baldy wasnt that i assumed he hadnt studied the texans -- it was that he offered zero insight as to why he said the things he did.

W. Bum

TexansBull said:
Yall can finish above the Wash-ups, Maybe NY, but not Dallas. TO can destroy a team...But I really think after seeing that go down twice, and as experencied as Parcells is that stuff will not go down here in Texas. Andy Reid and Donovan were too soft with him. But yall still have Carolina, Atlanta(hype though), Tampa, and others. Ya'lls division is as tough as ours. If ya'll can pull off the playoffs, job well done.

Dallas really doesn't scare me.

Look back at the Eagles history under our C Jim Johnson, and you will see that pro-bowl WRs hardly ever hurt us. That includes TO when he was in San Fran, and Moss while he was with both the Raiders and Vikings.

Then you look at their (lack of) talent on the OL, and I don't see any way they can give Bledse time to throw the ball.

And that's all assuming Owens is playing nice, which he won't.

I'm telling you, the only NFCE team that will challenge the Eagles are the Giants. They have a legit chance at being good and making a super bowl run.

LBC_Justin said:
Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis don't impress me that much. Well, not enough to say "oh man the Eagles play against such great players. How do the Texans possibly have a chance against them."

BTW, Until last year the Cowboys were garbage for the last several years.

Try having to face the freaking Colts offense twice a year. Let me remind you how YOUR team did the last time they faced Peyton and Edgerin James. During the 2002 season they were the only team to SPANK your team (35-13 ouch).

Just remember your team is in the NFC. A conference that has lost 5 of the last 6 superbowls.

Tiki and Portis don't impress you? How about Tomlinson? DOes he impress you?

He didn't impress me the last time the Eagles played the Chargers. He had less then 10 rushing yards against us.

Again, we've seen it all. We've held the NFLs best running back to single digit rushing yards. We've held pro-bowl backs with pro-bowl laden OLs in check like Tiki and Portis.

Please excuse me if Ron Dane doesn't make me tremble. :yawn:

run-david-run said:
yeah, like loosing Pro-Bowl receiv...oh, dont have many of those, do ya?

In this offense, a RB and TE are just as important as recievers as wideouts.

Thus, Westbrook and LJ. LJ lead the NFL for receptions by a TE untill McNabb went down last year.

Westbrook is clearly the best recieving back in the NFL.

Throw in the best rookie WR from last year and Dante' Stallworth, and I'm not worried about having pro-bowl WRs.

We DO however, have pro-bowlers at the positions that matter:

QB
LT
OG
RB
DE
MLB
SS
FS
CB
K

Green Bird said:
See what I'm talking about folks? This is the kind of talk that makes you guys the punchline in the NFL. You can have a modern blocking scheme, or a futuristic blocking scheme. You still need the talent, which you don't have.

And see, this is what makes the rest of the football world question if you know what you are talking about.

We've got a professional scouting department, just like the Eagles(who for some reason have a hard time identifying WRs, RBs, & LBs)..... who were used to find the players that are on our roster.

We've had DanReeves (a successful football coach who has uncovered quite a bit of talent in his day) come in, and go over our roster..... his final report said talent was not our problem.

Gary Kubiak, & Mike Sherman, two of the most respected offensive gurus of the last decade spent all summer going over our roster, making changes they felt were needed. Only two of the five OLmen starting in '06 weren't Texans in '05. & we were running a version of the zoneBlocking system last year with decent results.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
Ummm, thats not a plus. If they hadn't been in a zone bblocking system, at least you could argue there was potential. Since they have been, and have been so bad, and are starting a rookie LT, the OL will still stink this year.

Your OL has been the worst in football, and will continue to be so.

umm........ we were ranked 15th in rushing offense in '05, with no passing game.

Wait until we get the ZBS perfected, we'll be in the top 10. & when we get our passing game, we'll be top 5....... bank on it.

Eagles fan is too proud for a team that hasn't won the Super Bowl since when? Oh that's right...you have never won a Super Bowl.

Man, we might not be ripping it up ourselves...but we've been in existence for only four or five years. What's your excuse?

Go grab yourselves a trophy, and then come back here and brag to us about how great your team is.

Because all I have seen is a puking, gagging QB who's too tired to finish the job when other people who've come back from broken legs :crutch: are hoisting the team onto their shoulders.

Winning the entire NFC is about as difficult as winning the Wild Card in the AFC.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
To be Frank, 05 was a lost cause. There were more pro-bowlers out that single season then the Texans have had in their existance. Add to that fact that Owens was being the cancer he is, and demanded so many passes, and of course the Eagles had problems. He's gone, and thus, we can run our normal offense again.
If you guys aren't man enough to put a dog in his place, don't call the dog a cancer. 52 guys plus the coaching staff got punk'd by one man........ If I'm not mistaken, he doubled your TD production from 2003. you'd be stupid not to throw him the ball in '06. Your QB cost you the SuperBowl....... that's all he said....... and he was/is right.
Jerome_Brown_99 said:
The fact that you think we didn't have much of a running game because we rotated 3 backs just shows your lack of football intel. We had a FEARED running game.
No you didn't...... and the fact that you think you did shows your lack of football intel. 1600 yards from 3 guys is nothing to fear. 2000 yards from 3 guys is something to fear.
Jerome_Brown_99 said:
In fact, the reason we lost the 03 NFCCG was because Westy was hurt. We have him and we're in the super bowl - something the Texans can't even begin to talk about.
I've been talking about it for 5 years now. Samething you'll be doing without T.O.

& you lost the NFCCG because your QB was thinking about his chunky soup commercials.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
As far as your 2 win season being equal to our 6 win season... BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Look, when you lose 6 pro-bowlers to injury in one year get back to me. In fact, when your team has 6 pro-bowl players on it, get back to me.
I've got 4, & will be sending two this year.... just wait
Jerome_Brown_99 said:
No, you know what, when your team wins 6 games without JUST it's starting QB (who is completely inferior to McNabb in every way) get back to me.
we're taking the slow approach to developing our QB. But when we get him to the SuperBowl, he'll have seen it all. I garuntee you he won't be throwing chunks on the 50 yard line, and he won't choke.
Jerome_Brown_99 said:
And Owens the most explosive player ever? Look up our scoring offense from 03 vs 04. You won't find much of a difference.

And "steady decline"? HAHHAHAHAHA

1 losing season since 1999 equals a "steady decline?"
should I type slower for you??

I said you started your decline when you lost T.O. just like SF did.....
Jerome_Brown_99 said:
Well I guess that makes the Texans born LOSERS doesn't it.

Jeff Garcia? He's a former pro-bowler thats fighting for a backup position. He's nothing.

without the most explosive wideReciever(who you guys weren't man enough to control) no, Jeff Garcia is nothing.

Jerome_Brown_99 said:
I couldn't agree more.

Man somebody is heading for a heartache, fast.....

no sacks...... is your bubble going to be totally busted when you get no sacks out of this game, or are you going to make excuses??

Whoever said the Eagles run a risky pass offense failed to realize McNabb was the first person to ever throw 30+ TD's and less than 10 interceptions in the same season. He also has the best TD/INT ratio in the NFL and is second all-time to Steve Young.

I love how Eagles fan always throws in how many Pro Bowlers they have.

Whoop-dee-do. What does that get you, a secret decoder ring and a lollipop from Tagliabue?

When you have three or four chances IN A ROW to win an easy NFC and win a championship at least ONCE out of those four years, do me a favor and win one, OK? Otherwise, stop propping yourself up as some powerhouse team. the Bills were just like you guys back in the day: Always winning an easy conference and never really being anywhere close to challenging the other conference's wild card team, let alone the conference champion.

And I like the, "Oh yeah, well we had guys injured in '05..." comment. Even when your guys are HEALTHY you can't win the big one. So what does it matter whether you have Pro Bowlers or not? Wasted talent, if you ask me.

Your coach should stop eating late-night ham sandwiches :fridge: and start preparing more dynamic gameplans.

thunderkyss said:
Man somebody is heading for a heartache, fast.....

no sacks...... is your bubble going to be totally busted when you get no sacks out of this game, or are you going to make excuses??
And what make you think your offensive line will suddenly go from the laughingstock of the league to an indestructible wall against one of the best defensive lines?

blah, blah, blah...... we had 11 starters on IR........

jamiethekiller said:
trotter has this saying " bring it back to me." the eagles want the offensives to stretch it out because, while our LB's might not be great, they are fast enough to make the RB cut it back. exactly to trotter. the BEST run stopping linebacker in the league.

what makes LT so good? he has UNGODLY ability to cut back. how many rushing yards did he have against us last year?
blah, blah, blah........ we stopped LT
jamiethekiller said:
and i'm pretty sure when we faced denver last year almost our entire Dline was injured. hollis had a thigh bruise the size of a football. and i believe rayburn had a bum ankle. and walker had a thigh bruise as well.
blah, blah, blha......... our Dline was injured against Denver
jamiethekiller said:
lets hope to a good game though! i don't want to have the ability to turn it off and go somewhere else to have some fun.

stop it..... stop it.... stop making excuses, The Eagles sucked in '05, you'll suck in '06, and you'll suck in '07.

why?? because you'll be waiting three years for McNabb to turn it around... that's the way these things work.

gpshafer_1976 said:
I love how Eagles fan always throws in how many Pro Bowlers they have.

Whoop-dee-do. What does that get you, a secret decoder ring and a lollipop from Tagliabue?

When you have three or four chances IN A ROW to win an easy NFC and win a championship at least ONCE out of those four years, do me a favor and win one, OK? Otherwise, stop propping yourself up as some powerhouse team.

And I like the, "Oh yeah, well we had guys injured in '05..." comment. Even when your guys are HEALTHY you can't win the big one. So what does it matter whether you have Pro Bowlers or not? Wasted talent, if you ask me.

Your coach should stop eating late-night ham sandwiches :fridge: and start preparing more dynamic gameplans.
A- Only when we trash talk vs. Texan fans, who have very little reason to watch the Pro Bowl every year.

B- It shows us how good our athletes are.

C- We did win an NFC championship, I'm not sure if when you say one you mean NFC or the SB, but I'd like to see the Texans take on the Pats in their prime and only lose by 3.

D- A prime example of wasted talent is wearing a Texans helmet.

E- Andy Reid turned this franchise around and he is the reason we ever were able to compete at the level we did.

furferret2 said:
And what make you think your offensive line will suddenly go from the laughingstock of the league to an indestructible wall against one of the best defensive lines?

Because you have zero clue about what Kubiak has done in the offseason. Zero.

And that's exactly why Thunderkyss is right: You guys are mouthing off and have absolutely no idea what's about to hit your team in the mouth.

Surprise is the best ally, and we have a very serious element of surprise. You repeat what you read on ESPN and other Northeast media shows/newspapers. Fact is, we've overhauled the o-line tremendously. Look at the teams in the preseason that we absolutley rolled up on and dominated. They didn't expect to see last year's 2-14 team come out and show some heart. Well, we rammed it down their throat.

And I have a sneaky feeling that you're going to grow a little more uneasy as Sunday comes closer. This is not the same old 2-14 team. And changes have not been made "in name alone" like they were with Capers as our coach.

Your under-estimation of us is a serious miscalculation.

furferret2 said:
C- We did win an NFC championship, I'm not sure if when you say one you mean NFC or the SB, but I'd like to see the Texans take on the Pats in their prime and only lose by 3.

The Texans lost to the Pats in OT by 3 in the regular season the year the Pats & Panthers squared off in the SB. That was under Dom Capers so I wouldn't discount what this team could do under an offensive minded coach like Kubiak.

Back