Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Training Camp 2015

It appears to me that it could be that X hasn't learned his playbook or isn't being a good teammate. Running gassers is usually a form of punishment.

My first thought was 'He's showing off to Hard Knocks'. Fringe players could see HK as a sort of expo, a chance to show the league that you're a warrior.

28 observations from day three of #TexansCamp
John Harris

Monday Night Lights! Yes!! The first day in pads turned into the first night in pads in sweltering 90 degree heat and humidity. But, when the sun went down and the dark took over, it was a truly cool environment. As such, it appeared most in the crowd, the players, coaches, staff and media honestly reveled in the atmosphere.
Okay, so let’s get on to it, my observations from the first day, errr, night in pads.

1. I walked down to the North part of the practice field, down where the offensive line and defensive line do their individual work. As I looked over at the offensive linemen, I noticed Derek Newton and the guys had something that looked like a rope around their hands. Then, I saw him pull it off and it was a pair of elastic handcuffs, if you will. The reason? Well, with these handcuffs on, so to speak, it forces each O lineman to keep their hands inside the body and keep from bad habits forming. Cool device that I’d never seen before.

2. The night practice brought some bubbling emotions to the surface, especially from the receivers and defensive backs. Charles James and Jaelen Strong got into a little fracas as they were doing some 1-on-1s midway through practice. They weren’t alone as late in practice down on the goal line, DL Jasper Coleman and OT Joseph Treadwell had a little tete-a-tete when emotions boiled over.

3. Speaking of the receivers and defensive backs, these two groups have been up in each others’ grill from the minute they set foot on the practice field this past Saturday. Those groups are extremely chatty, for lack of a stronger word, with one another and it’s really added an edge to the workout that I like. It can go overboard and be distracting, but right now, it’s a catalyst to a competitive workout between those two position groups.

4. If you were at practice and you recognized the guy that posed as an offensive lineman for the linebackers during a walkthrough blitz drill, you have a good eye. It was Rick Smith, the Texans executive VP and general manager, who stepped in to help give the linebackers a look, alongside linebackers coach Mike Vrabel and assistant coach Doug Colman. The more you can do applies to everyone, it appears.

5. Arian Foster got the night off as Bill O’Brien noted in his post practice press conference but before he rested the rest of the evening, he made a catch across the middle that only, maybe, one or two other RBs in the league would’ve made.

6. Texans secondary coach John Butler is one of my favorites to watch in practice. Intense. Emotional. When his guys make a play, he explodes in excitement. When they miss an opportunity, he reacts every single time. Case in point, during a 2-on-2 passing drill v. the WR, CB A.J. Bouye read the post route of EZ Nwachukwu perfectly and broke in front of the pass for the easy interception. But, he couldn’t hang onto the pass. As the ball was in the air, Butler saw Bouye in position to intercept the ball and started to react accordingly. Then, when he couldn’t hang on, he reacted accordingly. His teaching and enthusiasm are evident on every pass that’s thrown in practice.

7. During early run periods, the offensive line had some success and really got the defensive line back on its heels early. That flipped later in practice.

8. One thing that consistently makes me laugh is the reaction of the fans to the offensive/defensive push ups at the end of a drive. Every single time players/coaches drop for ten push ups, the fans cheer. I’m not sure for what but for the past three days, they’ve cheered every single time. And, there are some that need some push up technique work, but I’ll refrain from outing the culprits.

9. I walked down to watch the tight ends and the outside linebackers working on some run game blocking. One player that consistently garnered praise from his TE position coach John Perry was Ryan Griffin. After Griffin’s last three reps, Perry exclaimed to rookie tight end Khari Lee “ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION, 86! THAT’S THE WAY YOU DO IT!” Griffin has been impressive in all facets since spring and hopefully Lee was paying attention.

10. When C.J. Fiedorowicz and Whitney Mercilus went up against each other, it was a stalemate as both guys competed against one another the way you’d want from your players.

11. One guy, though, that the tight ends couldn’t block was outside linebacker John Simon. Rookie Mike McFarland was the unfortunate one to tangle with the former Buckeye and Simon taught him a lesson. It was like a Ronda Rousey fight - over in seconds. McFarland has had some solid moments and he’ll learn from facing guys like Simon and Mercilus. But, Simon clearly dominated that and other reps.

12. I had someone on Twitter ask me about Christian Covington and what he’s done in training camp thus far. Without pads, there wasn’t a whole lot to get excited about, but when the pads went on, I knew I wanted to check him out. On one of his first reps in 7-on-7 inside run drill, he did a solid job as he held his ground against a center and guard double team, but later in the drill, Brian Ferentz got up under his pads and moved him off the ball.

13. I wrote about the impact of Vince Wilfork in the middle of the defense after he signed as a free agent back in March. Seeing him work his craft up close, though, was a totally different deal. The one thing that I noted was that there wasn’t an offensive lineman that could work his outside hip well enough to get him hooked and turn him inside. Most lineman try to drive that outside number and hope they have enough pop and momentum to get a defender turned. That just won’t happen against Wilfork. He holds that spot, as he did a number of times tonight, and won’t give it up.

14. When Keith Mumphery was drafted, the first thing I said was “definite special teams star”. During a punt cover drill, Mumphery, the gunner, was covered inside and outside by two defenders. As the ball was snapped, Mumphery worked himself free from both and beat them down the field to the punt returner. That’s not an easy thing to do and Mumphery mastered it on his first rep. Oh, and he’s been excellent at receiver since he got here in May.

15. One of the most improved players over the second half of last year was Jared Crick. As he was given more opportunities to rush the passer, he improved his pass rush acumen. When I was watching him down during pass rush drills, it was evident how far he’s come in a year. His hand placement was perfect. He threw hands quickly. He got himself free so much quicker than he had at this point last year.

16. Mercilus has seemingly continued to add pass rush maneuvers to his pass rush toolkit. For each rush, he seemed to try a different pass rush move each time.

17. Middle linebacker Benardrick McKinney is playing on instinct right now and sometimes it hits and sometimes it can create a void. He loves to see a gap and shoot it right now. On occasion, he gets to the running back before the ball carrier can get to the line of scrimmage. But, there are other times when he takes that risk, if you will, and he gets jostled or slowed and leaves a wide open cutback lane in the run defense. When he truly learns the game, his technique and how to put the two together, he’s going to be real fun to watch. Right now, though, he’s winging it and being aggressive and that’s not altogether good or bad.

18. There was a bunch of running on Monday night. JJ Watt jumped offsides, trying to gain an upper hand, anticipating the snap count. Of course, he knew right away that he had erred and before Bill O’Brien could send him on a lap around the field, No. 99 took off sprinting down the field. That also meant the fans got what they wanted seeing their guy on a solo trip right in front of him.

19. Later in practice, Ryan Mallett had to run for botching a few snaps. Jared Crick jumped offsides too, which earned a lap around the field. The first day in pads sloppiness will get cleaned up eventually but not before some extra conditioning was needed.

20. During team session, I focused on No. 56 a few times and the first play was an outside zone run away from him. As soon as Brian Cushing read the play, he took off like a shot, put himself in position and stifled the play as it cutback right into him. There was no lumbering. There was no hitch in the giddy up. As he had been in the spring, he was fluid and explosive to the ball. The more I watch him, the more jacked up I get about what he can do this season.

21. After he was drafted, I likened Kenny Hilliard to a hammer and that’s what he is. There’s nothing pretty about Hilliard when he runs the rock. Get out of his way or expect a collision. During the goal line drill at the end of the night, Hilliard was determined to get the rock in the end zone. He took the handoff from Mallett and nearly ran over his own fullback and his offensive line to get the rock across into the end zone.

22. One of the best throws all night was one that Mallett made to Strong on a deep out. With the pocket collapsing around him, Mallett stood in and delivered a strike on time and in the only spot his guy could catch it.

23. If that wasn’t the best throw of the night, then it was the dime Brian Hoyer dropped on Nate Washington during a team “first down” drill. Moving to his right, Hoyer laid one down the sideline for Washington who had a step on the defensive back. The veteran receiver hauled in the throw for a first down right in front of the fans.

24. As Foster sat out for the night, Jonathan Grimes took true advantage of the opportunity. I’m still not sure if anyone has covered him in the pass game effectively. But, tonight, it was more about how hard he ran behind both the first and second offensive lines. I’m telling you he won’t make that running back competition an easy one on the coaching staff to determine a winner or three.

25. Alan Bonner had another outstanding workout and as O’Brien mentioned after practice, Bonner just has to stay healthy. He has scoots and when he catches the ball in space, good things are going to happen.

26. Speaking of catching a ball in space, EZ Nwachukwu caught a crossing route against man coverage and took it to the house. There wasn’t a defender in sight as he sped the final 40 or 50 yards for the end zone. He hasn’t had the start to camp that he had last year, but he’s still able to turn heads with his impressive speed.

27. The goal line drill was one of the best periods of the first three days of camp. On the first set of plays, Alfred Blue powered in from the two yard line, which elicited a huge uproar from a victorious offensive line. But, on the second set of downs, the QB/RB fumbled the rock right in front of linebackers coach Mike Vrabel and assistant coach Doug Colman. With refs on hand, Vrabel and Colman got right in their faces to let them know that it was the defense’s ball. Their outburst was as emotional as it would be in a game against the Colts in September. A few plays later, Tony Washington picked up a fumble and as the rest of the defense told him to “RUN!”, he took off like he did in the 2015 Rose Bowl when he ran a Jameis Winston fumble to the house for six points.

28. It was a productive night of work with a day off for the players on Tuesday. We’ll be back on Wednesday with more before we head to Richmond to tangle with the Redskins!

tempBB1_7238--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_6773--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Khari Lee
tempBB1_7277--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_7181--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Nate Washington
tempBB1_6814--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

John Simon, Alan Bonner
temp_BB22426--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Christian Covington
--houstontexans.com

Last edited:
20150803_texanstrainingcamp_btc_25.jpg

20150803_texanstrainingcamp_btc_32.jpg

Vince Wilfork, James Ferentz
20150803_texanstrainingcamp_btc_36.jpg

Kareem, Grimes
20150803_texanstrainingcamp_btc_30.jpg

Mercilus, Mike McFarland
20150803_texanstrainingcamp_btc_34.jpg

Ferentz, Chris Neild
20150803_texanstrainingcamp_btc_28.jpg

Corey Moore, Mike McFarland
--chron.com

Last edited:
SOTT--Houston Texans: Day 3 Training Camp Recap

As the Texans alternate work with offensive starters between the two quarterbacks, Monday was Brian Hoyer's day with the experienced personnel and it was a...

As for Ryan Mallett, he put together a solid day at the office. His ability to throw the football...

The progression of Tom Savage should be noted and he has put together three solid...

If Alan Bonner and Cecil Shorts III bring the offense anything it is a lot of speed and quickness out of the slot...

As for Bonner, it is becoming tough to temper expectations for the receiver. On a crossing route he was able to...

Benardrick McKinney must have known it was full contact because he was all over the field. Coming downhill in...

Offensive tackle Matt Feiler was a road grader on rushing plays and caved down the defensive...

Ben Jones is trying to silence his critics and he showed that he can handle bigger rushers at the...

Cody White had a strong showing today and in pass protection drills, he handled everything sent his way with solid technique.

Defensive end Cameron McLeod showed some pass rush ability and some quickness, beating Brandon Brooks in one-on-one drills.

Cornerback Darryl Morris also knew it was full contact and did not shy away from making some hits from his position. Morris is a fast player on the defense and he can cover ground in a hurry.

One thing that Rahim Moore and Nate Washington bring to their respective units is speed. Moore moves at a different...

Kenny Hilliard had a rough day and it starts with him being a...

During the goal line session, it was an all out hitting situation that saw both...

When the Mallett run offense came in, it was a literal mess. Three fumbles highlighted...

Speaking of Prosch, he was not dominating in run blocking and was getting met in the hole with authority. Still having trouble moving defenders out of the way, Prosch continues to try and perfect his craft.

Andre Hal, Eddie Pleasant, and Stevie Brown are all tossing their names into the conversation for the safety spot next to...

Whitney Mercilus had a complete day showing some pass rushing skill and playing the run well. Mercilus’ big play came when...

Outside linebacker Lynden Trail was one of the more intriguing rookie free agents to sign with the Texans. In the first day...

Randy Bullock struggled kicking field goals today...
...​

Nate Washington leading receiver competition, Cecil Shorts also impressing O'Brien
Tania Ganguli, ESPN Staff Writer

After checking to make sure he could find his son, Cecil IV, Cecil Shorts III spoke to reporters after practice about the teammate who's the elder statesman of the Houston Texans' receiver room.

"Uncle Nate!" Shorts said, with a grin.

Does he call Nate Washington that to his face?

"I do sometimes," Shorts said sheepishly. "I don't know if he likes it."

The Texans' competition at receiver is a good one. Coach Bill O'Brien said if the Texans had to play a game today, he would go with 11-year veteran Washington along with No. 1 receiver DeAndre Hopkins. He stressed, though, that Shorts has also had a very good camp. Later in the interview O'Brien also offered complimentary thoughts about rookie Jaelen Strong.

Right now, though, Washington's years in the league have served him very well. He's been able to pick up the Texans offense quickly and become a big part of it. One of quarterback Brian Hoyer's best throws of the day was about a 20-yarder to Washington.

"He's very, very knowledgeable, he's a very savvy veteran," said Shorts, who said he goes to Hopkins with questions quite a bit, too, even though Hopkins is younger than he is. "It's going to be a lot of fun playing with those two. Lot of fun."

More notes from practice.

**It's a little tough to draw conclusions from today's practice because it was the first time the Texans had on full pads, which led to some natural sloppiness. O'Brien didn't seem overly concerned about that in his post-practice comments. He indicated that was just a function of having pads on for the first time all year. Some of that sloppiness came in a red zone period, especially from the second- and third-team offenses, run by Ryan Mallett and Tom Savage. Mallett had to run after a fumbled snap.

**Arian Foster got some time off during today's practice and Alfred Blue took over some first-team running back duties. Blue left practice on a cart late, according to reports, but was told that was just due to cramping. Blue left after scoring a touchdown in one of the goal line drills.

**I tried to keep an eye on Hoyer today, just as I kept an eye on Mallett yesterday. I expected Hoyer to take most of the first-team reps and he was partially successful. Again there were some very nice throws by Hoyer, as we've seen throughout the summer. The throw to Washington was among them. The red zone offense ran the best with Hoyer at the helm.

**Whitney Mercilus had a nice pass breakup during a one-on-one drill that pitted tight ends against linebackers in coverage. Mercilus also drove one of the tackles into Hoyer on one play. My view was obstructed, so I didn't get a look at which tackle as they've been switching out.

**O'Brien was asked about Xavier Su'a-Filo's status. "Xavier is competing," he said. "I believe in Xavier and I want him to keep improving."

**Vince Wilfork has been very imposing at the start of training camp, and he's looking like a very important addition for the Texans defense. It's a good sign, then, that during one pass-rushing battle with Ben Jones, Jones held his own from his new position of center. Guard Brandon Brooks said the other day that Jones' new job was like "coming home" for him. He'd been a center before he played guard.​

Last edited:
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Arian Foster suffered a groin injury last night at the #Texans first fully padded practice, sources say.​

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Has everything you want in a cornerback.
@PatDStat What about CB Kevin Johnson?
#Texans that have shown up unexpectedly during camp.
Alan Bonner
Mike McFarland
Tom Savage
Jaelen Strong​

Off the top of my head.
1. Ben Jones
2. Alan Bonner
3. Potential on run defense.
@PatDStat what stood out most to you after 3 days?​

He showed his speed coming off the sideline with helmet in hand catching up with an OLB who had a 20 yard head start across the field.

Mentioned it last night. Nate Washington will be an added plus to the offense. Smart, good route runner and can stretch the field.​

I'm on board. I nominate Playoffs for Most Valuable Player on Texans Talk.

Thanks, but Dr CND -- CloakNNNdagger -- is TTalk's MVP.

Saving lives > 3rd string field goal holder. :tiphat:
laugh-1.gif

Last edited:
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock 6m6 minutes ago

Arian Foster's groin injury is serious in nature. Source said it should require surgery & may be candidate for IR w/ designation for return.

dont-panic.gif

The gif? You either laugh it off or spend your day depressed

Nah, the gif is funny. But it made it seem like the report was joking in nature. Wasn't sure how to take it. If it's a serious report, no gif in the world is going to shake this despair.

Arian Foster out for at least 8 games... I'm going out on a limb... we might win 3 of those games & look hopeless & pathetic in the other five. 3-5 to start the season.

Arian Foster out for at least 8 games... I'm going out on a limb... we might win 3 of those games & look hopeless & pathetic in the other five. 3-5 to start the season.
Luckily, the Texans 1st 8 games are the easiest part of the schedule. I can see 5-3 with or with AF. Losing AF is a big blow, but the Texans will get him back with "fresh" legs.

Luckily, the Texans 1st 8 games are the easiest part of the schedule. I can see 5-3 with or with AF. Losing AF is a big blow, but the Texans will get him back with "fresh" legs.

The Bucs, Jags, & Titans. Only games we stand a chance without a better than avg QB.

The Bucs, Jags, & Titans. Only games we stand a chance without a better than avg QB.
Your goat smelling ass. This defense we're about to field is going to be epic. '85 Bears kind of Epic. The sky may fall on your head, but it's not falling on mine. This team, with this coaching staff has dealt with no AF before. I expect they will deal with it this time, as well. 5-3 is entirely doable.

Texans will be alright Y'all. It's about the whole team coming together and executing the game plan. Believe it or not without Foster this team is good enough to win games on sunday... most teams in the league are but it's about team execution and creative game planning.

Don't understand the point of all the negativity. Yes, losing AF is a big blow, but now that it happened, the team has to deal with that. And they have by working out 3 RB's tomorrow. If Pierre Thomas is in shape and is signed, it would be an excellent option given the circumstances. Also look at the positives. He'll pretty much have the entire camp to learn the offense and get on the same page with OL and QB (whoever that might be).

Your goat smelling ass. This defense we're about to field is going to be epic. '85 Bears kind of Epic. The sky may fall on your head, but it's not falling on mine. This team, with this coaching staff has dealt with no AF before. I expect they will deal with it this time, as well. 5-3 is entirely doable.
Yeah.... we were 1-2 in those three games. The game we won was Mallett's coming out party against Cleveland. Alfred Blue went off for 150+ yds against the worst rush D in football. We lost the other two against the Giants and the Bengals.

Yeah.... we were 1-2 in those three games. The game we won was Mallett's coming out party against Cleveland. Alfred Blue went off for 150+ yds against the worst rush D in football. We lost the other two against the Giants and the Bengals.

The Giants game was the rebound game iMO and the Bengals should have been a win if Mallett wasn't so terribly injured. I think with this current team we will be ok. Not undefeated, but ok.

Texans will be alright Y'all. It's about the whole team coming together and executing the game plan. Believe it or not without Foster this team is good enough to win games on sunday... most teams in the league are but it's about team execution and creative game planning.
Without Foster their is an even bigger onus on the QB to play well. Unless we have another running back who can step up, average QB play won't get us where we want to be. We'll need better than average, consistently.

Don't understand the point of all the negativity. Yes, losing AF is a big blow, but now that it happened, the team has to deal with that. And they have by working out 3 RB's tomorrow. If Pierre Thomas is in shape and is signed, it would be an excellent option given the circumstances. Also look at the positives. He'll pretty much have the entire camp to learn the offense and get on the same page with OL and QB (whoever that might be).
You named your car Brad and you and Brad have been through a lot but suddenly Brad is banged up. Yes losing Brad is a big blow, but now that it happened, you have to deal with that. You get to test drive three clunkers..er cars tomorrow. If one is in decent shape it would be an excellent option..given the circumstances. So just look at the positives someone else's reject can be on same page with you to get you to work but then you find out Brad..

sorry that insurance commercial just took over my fingers.

You named your car Brad and you and Brad have been through a lot but suddenly Brad is banged up. Yes losing Brad is a big blow, but now that it happened, you have to deal with that. You get to test drive three clunkers..er cars tomorrow. If one is in decent shape it would be an excellent option..given the circumstances. So just look at the positives someone else's reject can be on same page with you to get you to work but then you find out Brad..

If people want to go into depression over this, I guess that's fine with me. I don't get the point of that sort of reaction, but that just me. I just tried to put a positive spin on a shitty situation.

Necessity is the mother of invention AND also the trigger for many long and successful careers in many different sports. Being a glass half full guy myself, I see three very good QBs making it difficult to choose a starter rather than three stooges. It is also a golden opportunity to see if the marked improvement mentioned about Blue is real or a smoke screen. Thomas is a good backup plan or an opportunity for two good RBs as depth upon Foster's return.

Some here are all too willing to concede defeat at the drop of a hat. They are not only glass half empty types, but glass empty while half full types.

I think it is more than some of you guys want to admit and stating facts is neither a half full nor half empty; in fact in this heat, if there was a glass with anything in it, I'd drink it. AJ is gone so recognize what he did for us and move on. Same with Foster; but do not ignore that he was a tremendous option and next man up counts but only if you have a skilled man stepping into the starter's role. I agree that there are 'whiffles' that look at loss of players and start moaning at the sky curling into a fetal position. Then there are the kite flyers who think they can soar at any slight breeze. Lastly, there are those of us who can see lack of skills, poor conditioning, or bad choices/decisions by management without giving up on team. I consider myself optimistic yet a realist. Based on known info, we do not have anyone on roster that is in same class as Arian. Pierre Thomas could be successful but I ain't turning cart wheels..yet.

Let's not forget that for every successful invention there are many more failures. No crying just factual. Marshall please tell me why you think we have three pretty good QBs when we have had so little from them? All three have sketchy history at best to evaluate and we are in first week of TC. I am hopeful but we are still in the "what the heck do we have at this position" stage.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
O'Brien says he feels good about the tight end position. Has seen improvement.

"These guys are close," O'Brien says of Hoyer and Mallett. Says he believes in both guys. #Texans

O'Brien brings up the year Brady got hurt and the Patriots had to turn to Matt Cassel. Says these things happen in the NFL

O'Brien is asked if he's ruled out trading for an RB. Says nothing's ruled out. #Texans

O'Brien acknowledges they will sign a running back but says it hasn't happened yet. #Texans

"We want someone that can do a little bit of everything," O'Brien says of what running back they're looking to bring in. #Texans

"Blue can play on third down, certain third down situations, no doubt about it." - O'Brien says of RB Alfred Blue. #Texans

O'Brien said the #Texans don't know how much time Arian Foster will miss. Said he's still being evaluated. [Foster is seeking a second opinion]

The astronaut who skyped w/ @JJWatt from the international space station, @AstroTerry, is here at practice. Will meet Watt today. #Texans​

Will Grubb ‏@GrubbReport
Today wasn't Mallett's best day IMO. He missed easy throws including one to a wide open Jay Prosch and was intercepted by Hal in the redzone

O'Brien says Arian going down won't factor in to the quarterback battle. #Texans

O'Brien on Alfred Blue: He's a big back. He's a smart guy. He's a leader. #Texans

O'Brien says he won't comment on any players family situations... alluding to Clowney #Texans

O'Brien says Foster is still being evaluated and they don't know how much time he will miss, but he will miss time. #Texans​

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
O'Brien said competition between Hoyer and Mallett is "close." #Texans

#Texans will rely on RBs with a by committee approach. Emphasis on "roles," O'Brien said.

Arian Foster will "miss time," O'Brien said, but he's still being evaluated. #Texans​

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL
Duane Brown on Pierre Thomas 'he has some special abilities'

Duane Brown 'Blue did some great things for us last year'

Duane Brown 'Arian's a huge part of this team we still have to open up gaps'

Alfred Blue 'I'm very versatile with power I'm more of a smooth runner than anything'

Alfred Blue 'I believe I can help the running game we look forward to him coming back until then i'll hold it down'

Bill O'Brien on Foster 'He suffered a groin injury it's being evaluated he's going to miss some time'​

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
"Nothing's ever ruled out."-O'Brien on if team would explore trade for a RB.

"We're excited about all those guys."-O'Brien on RB's Blue, Grimes & Hilliard.​

#TexansCamp ‏@HoustonTexans
"To just compete." - O'Brien on what he wants to get out of the upcoming practices with the Redskins. #TexansCamp

"Up & down. We have to smooth it out more. Some good, some bad. We have to get more consistent."- O'Brien on today's #TexansCamp practice.

"Things like this happen. You have to be ready for it. I have a ton of respect for the guy. I feel bad for him." O'Brien on RB Arian Foster

O'Brien: "Each (RB) will have a role. We want a guy who can do a bit of everything. I don't think you can ever replace experience."

"Foster suffered a groin injury. He's still being evaluated. He's going to miss some time." - O'Brien on Arian Foster​

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
Duane Brown said he reached out to Arian, told him they’ll hold it down til he gets back.​

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Ugly practice today but Hilliard responded well to added reps, especially in the passing game.​

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Running backs were thin today at practice. Four healthy players on the field. Now headed to Washington for a big three days of work. #Texans​

Jay Prosch a rough day today. Dropped passes and still not bringing is consistently lead blocking.

Mallett also missed some crossing routes. Hoyer still shows better touch on his deep balls than Mallett.

QBs struggled due to just overall sloppiness of the offense. Mallett had some good throws in red zone work. #Texans

Kenny Hilliard has been on the field plenty the last two practices. Helping him out and now can see his bruising running style. #Texans

#Texans leaving to the airport after lunch. No wasted time today. Full padded practice and now traveling.

“The patience in the run game,” Alfred Blue on what he’d like to take from Arian’s run game. Admires his patience in the zone scheme

Sluggish all the way around. Not up to Bill O'Brien standards.

Sloppy is a good word for today practice. Not the best day all the way around.​

Last edited:
The Texans plan to sign former Saints running back Pierre Thomas following a successful tryout Wednesday, according to sources with knowledge of the situation who weren’t authorized to speak publicly.

Thomas’ pending addition follows star running back Arian Foster suffering a groin injury regarded as serious enough to require surgery and sideline him for at least a portion of the regular season. Thomas worked out for the Saints, along with former Jets and Chiefs running back Joe McKnight and former Texans and Cowboys running back Ben Malena, who played at Texas A&M.

Thomas, 30, was cut in March by the Saints one year into a two-year, $2.404 million contract extension that included a $1.245 million signing bonus.

A former undrafted free agent from Illinois, Thomas is an Illinois native who rushed for 2,545 career yards in college with 57 receptions for 411 yards and three touchdowns.

Although he was snubbed when it came to invitations for the NFL scouting combine, Thomas has forged a solid NFL career. In eight NFL seasons, Thomas has rushed for 3,745 yards and 28 touchdowns while averaging 4.6 yards per carry.

Considered an all-around runner with solid mobility at 5-11 and 215 pounds, Thomas has also caught 327 career passes for 2,608 yards and a dozen touchdowns. Thomas rushed for only 222 yards and two touchdowns last season in 11 games, but he averaged 4.9 yards per carry. He also caught 45 passes for 378 yards.

Thomas led the Saints in rushing in 2008 (625 yards) 2009 (793 yards) and 2013 (549 yards). In 2013, he caught 77 passes for 513 yards and three touchdowns.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...saints-running-back-pierre-thomas/#34765101=0

Back