Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Training Camp 2015

Were you there today? Who stood out to you? Who looked good? Who looked bad?

It's hard to say because their not in pads and are doing a lot of passing . I'd say Hilliard made the best catch on a ball thrown behind him by Mallett . The DBs are tight on the receivers which would have led to several sacks . I thought Cushing moved pretty good . As far as the QBs go , I think Mallett's issue is seeing the target and by the time he gets rid of it , no matter how hard he throws it , it's behind the receiver on crossing routes . Hoyer had his moments but missed an open throw to #2 in the back corner of the end zone and throws ducks on occasion . Savage spins the ball the best and had a couple of TD passes to 86 . They did a bunch of RZ work and threw some screens , one to Fido for a TD . Prosch caught a TD on a tough catch in the middle .

It's hard to say because their not in pads and are doing a lot of passing...
Yep, thanks. Crowd sure seemed active and loud. I don't know what capacity is but I bet they were close with current setup.

Do you have a specific...
Nobody recorded snap counts that I have access to.

"In training camp it's a little bit different, everybody gets reps with everybody else, we don't look at it as a first team or second team or third team... everybody's repping with everybody else. It's just about getting everybody reps and getting them on film. We're mixing and matching with our offensive line, playing different groups together. Jeff can play tackle and guard... we threw him in there at guard today." -- O'Brien​

I just find it odd that X is the only guy I'm hearing about.
Because that was part of a question in OB's Q&A.

I'm listening on the radio and they're just talking about X...
I'm sure the takes are hot and the pot is stirred. :stirpot:

Again, first day of practice nothing to get worked up about. Let's see the pre-games.

Daily Training Camp schedule

Most of the team is in by 6:30AM

Players get taped, do whirlpool

Short position meetings

Practice at 8:00AM to 10:30AM

Players lift

Lunch

Players get treatments

Afternoon special teams meeting

Afternoon offensive and defensive meetings where they break down practice film

<break>

Dinner

Full squad meeting

Special teams meeting

Offensive meeting
Defensive meeting

Walk-through in stadium or bubble

22 obsverations from the first day of #TexansCamp
John Harris|Texans Analyst

So, what happened on day one? A few observations I was able to make through the quagmire of people on Saturday.

1. Before practice even started, I made note of the players coming out on to the field. The first thing that stood out was that there were no surprises. Everyone that was expected to be on the field was here, accounted for and ready to compete. Sure, Jadeveon Clowney, Akeem Dent and David Quessenberry worked out with the training staff on field three, but we knew that was going to be the case. No surprises. Guys seemingly all in shape and ready to roll.

2. The other noticeable aspect of practice before it even kicked off was the physique of Jaelen Strong, the rookie receiver out of Arizona State. He arrived in May after OTAs and it was clear he wasn’t in shape at all. He returned, though, looking sleek and strong as he did at Arizona State. We’ll get to some more thoughts on him in a bit, but just seeing the conditioning work he put in and the results in his frame and stamina were a good sign.

3. I wrote about the training camp battles that I’d most be interested in during training camp and one of those was punt returner. Well, as I surmised six different players took a crack today - Keshawn Martin, Chandler Worthy, Alan Bonner, Cecil Shorts III, Damaris Johnson and Keith Mumphery. Let the competition begin.

4. Aaron Adams was recently signed, just two days prior to the start of training camp and is a good looking specimen. He’ll get plenty of opportunity to fight for a spot on the 53.

5. Having suffered injuries the past two seasons, receiver Alan Bonner spent both seasons on the IR, missing each season entirely. We weren’t really sure what Bonner would, or even could, bring to the team. Well, if today was any indication, he’s definitely going to be in this receiver mix. He caught everything thrown his way, with one exception on a deep ball vs. Kareem Jackson in 1-on-1s. Bonner is quick as a hiccup and sudden in and out of his breaks. I could truly see him getting reps at the slot receiver position throughout the rest of camp.

6. During 1-on-1s, linebacker Brian Cushing seemed much more confident tracking receivers/running backs out in routes than he was last year. He’s night and day different from last year and I can’t wait to see the full package unleashed once the pads go on. Later in practice during team 11-on-11, Cushing was the backside linebacker on a run away from him and he ran it down before the RB even got to the line of scrimmage.

7. That said, the best linebacker in coverage on this team remains unchanged - Mike Mohamed. One rep he was matched up on Arian Foster who can beat any linebacker in the league and Mohamed read his movement and cut him off before Foster could break his route where he wanted. Later in practice, Mohamed was one-on-one with tight end Ryan Griffin and knocked away a touchdown completion in the back of the end zone. I know the Texans drafted Benardrick McKinney at the inside linebacker spot but Mohamed isn’t about to take a backseat to anyone with his multiple and varied skill set.

8. On one of the first few plays in 1-on-1, Nate Washington made a brilliant, deep downfield catch for a TD. He’s going to be 32 before the end of the month but he gets downfield better than any Texans receiver not named DeAndre Hopkins.

9. Speaking of Hop, news flash, he’s good. Real good.

10. The cornerbacks, though, made life ultra-difficult for the Texans pass catchers. A.J. Bouye got beat by Washington early but broke up a couple of passes over the rest of practice. Charles James is like a gnat that you can’t get rid of and then he lets you know all about it. Darryl Morris ran routes for receivers he was so locked in. That doesn’t even include how well Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson looked throughout practice. There were, I believe at last count, four coverage sacks during practice, which almost never happens. This is as deep a cornerback position as the Texans have ever had, well at least since I’ve been covering the team since 2007.

11. EZ Nwachukwu made a tremendous twisting catch matched up on Joseph. I’m not sure which QB it was but he threw a backshoulder dart and EZ turned completely around and snatched it out of the air for the catch. EZ just has to stay consistent all the way throughout training camp and not lose his momentum as it transpires.

12. I mentioned Jaelen Strong earlier and a concern some have is whether he can get separation from NFL cornerbacks. But, even if he doesn’t, he still might be open. A good example of this occurred during 1-on-1s. Matched up against Darryl Morris, the corner completely read Strong’s route, nearly matching him step for step. But, Morris was still on Strong’s hip; he couldn’t go through him to the ball. Essentially, Strong shielded Morris with his big frame, boxing him out like a defender would do in basketball and made the catch. Morris clapped his hands as if he was angry he didn’t make the play, but he just couldn’t get around Strong or body him out of the way. Strong wasn’t really open but the way he positioned himself on the route allowed him to make the catch and more importantly keep Morris from making the sure pick.

13. Rookie RB Kenny Hilliard caught four passes at LSU as a senior but watching him catch the ball during minicamp, OTAs and again today, it’s clear he catches it better than you’d expect from those numbers. He made a handful of catches and looked comfortable in that aspect of the offense.

14. If rookie CB Kevin Johnson hits as hard with pads on as he does with pads off, oh wow, he might have to move to safety some day. From the first day of rookie minicamp through today, he’s knocked more players to the ground than anyone else. Man, his ability to challenge any pass in his area is impressive. He reacts and breaks on the ball like a shot and when he gets there he’s going to strip it out, knock it down or pick it off.

15. Rookie TE Mike McFarland, known a bit more for his blocking than his receiving, made a few sweet catches throughout practice. He’s a big boy and if he can catch it consistently and his blocking matches up, he’ll get more important reps as training camp continues.

16. Everyone wants to know about the quarterbacks. Thousands of people watched that practice and came away with different opinions. I didn’t think either Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallett dominated the practice session and each had good and bad moments throughout the day. Hoyer missed a few corner routes that were open in the end zone while Mallett struggled with some of the short to intermediate throws. That said, they’re light years ahead of last year’s quarterback group. Light. Years.

17. One impressive moment of the day was a Mallett incompletion. The Texans were working on their inside the ten yard line/goal line offense. Damaris Johnson ran his route just past the goal line but was surrounded by three or
four intermediate coverage defenders. Mallett got on his toes and made the throw to the only spot that his guy could get it, which was about six inches off the ground. Mallett purposely threw low, hoping that Johnson could slide under it. Andre Ware and I noticed that was the only spot he could make that throw and were impressed by it, although a few fans behind us groaned about the incompletion. To me, it was an educated risk to make that throw in that spot.

18. But, of the quarterback group, Tom Savage may have had the best day. I thought Tom threw it well throughout the day, other than taking a couple of coverage sacks. He’s made significant progress since last season and that’s great to see.

19. Every day during minicamp and OTAs, 5th round rookie Keith Mumphery made a play deep down the field and the first day of training camp was no exception. He got behind a defensive back and made another deep catch on a throw from Savage.

20. After an initial drop, TE C.J Fiedorowicz was much more of a factor in the passing game. He made a couple of touchdown catches down in the red zone and seemed much more comfortable than he was last year. If he, Ryan Griffin and Garrett Graham can be more involved in the passing game, look out.

21. No one has pads on just yet but there can be contact. OLB Jason Ankrah took that to heart when he literally bench pressed one of the Texans rookie tackles on one of his pass rushes. Ankrah got up underneath him, just locked out on him and nearly knocked him into next week.

22. One of the loudest ovations of the day was when the coaches and the offense did push ups after a goal line drill. The offense got stopped on four downs and as a result the entire offense, including all the coaches, dropped to give everyone ten push ups. Kareem Jackson took immense pleasure in watching the guys in blue do the push ups.

It was a relatively quiet day, no real surprises and an effective day altogether. An effective and efficient start to training camp. Tomorrow will be another one and I’ll have more observations for you then. See ya’ then!

temp_BB20987--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_2853--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_2896--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_2948--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_3431--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_3468--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

--houstontexans.com

Yep, thanks. Crowd sure seemed active and loud. I don't know what capacity is but I bet they were close with current setup.

Nobody recorded snap counts that I have access to.

"In training camp it's a little bit different, everybody gets reps with everybody else, we don't look at it as a first team or second team or third team... everybody's repping with everybody else. It's just about getting everybody reps and getting them on film. We're mixing and matching with our offensive line, playing different groups together. Jeff can play tackle and guard... we threw him in there at guard today." -- O'Brien​

Because that was part of a question in OB's Q&A.

I'm sure the takes are hot and the pot is stirred. :stirpot:

Again, first day of practice nothing to get worked up about. Let's see the pre-games.

I'm not worked up.

I do think that it means something to run with starters though. Sounds like coach speak from OB too. The guy can play tackle or guard so we threw him in as the starting guard....hmmmm...

I think that's a position battle to watch.

Now if he comes back tomorrow and he starts at LT and duane is running third team or something then I'll probably dismiss it all.

Right now though I think X is second team.

I'm listening on the radio and they're just talking about X. Also, They played clips from OB and the LG position was the only one that he talked about?

Do you have a specific name of other starters that didn't take the first reps? More specifically on the Oline....

I read the OB comments about having guys playing everywhere.

I just find it odd that X is the only guy I'm hearing about.
That's what I heard also on radio. Both Adams are OT and only LG X was replaced. Still think Sua'fila will start game one; perhaps just playing others to get a feel for backups. OBrien said nothing negative about X although he did mention "false starts" without naming player.

I'm not worked up.

I do think that it means something to run with starters though. Sounds like coach speak from OB too. The guy can play tackle or guard so we threw him in as the starting guard....hmmmm...

I think that's a position battle to watch.

Now if he comes back tomorrow and he starts at LT and duane is running third team or something then I'll probably dismiss it all.

Are you gonna tune into the same radio station tomorrow to find out?

SOTT: Houston Texans: Day One Training Camp Recap

The day was highlighted by wide receiver Jaelen Strong, who physically looks nothing like he did during OTAs/Mini-Camps. Strong looks like he has his weight and conditioning under control and it showed on the field today. He was sharp on...

The quarterback situation will be an ongoing talking point for the near future. Ryan Malllett started out strong but as the practice progressed, he struggled. However that may have been due...

As for Brian Hoyer, he put together the strongest...

It is clear what the Texans want at the inside linebacker position and the new rookie additions of Benardrick McKinney and Reshard Cliett give the position group a much needed...

Rookie tight ends Mike McFarland and Khari Lee each had a good start to camp. Both are...

Vince Wilfork showed offensive lineman that he is not going to be an easy person to move off...

Rookie cornerback Kevin Johnson was very active today. He displayed good...

Quarterback Tom Savage is still progressing but he is limited both in time on the field and the personnel with which he working. Savage still has a good release to go along with a plus arm. The offense ran into a road block...

Arian Foster showed up today and had some concentration issues that are unlike him. A dropped...

As practice progressed the offense turned sloppy, resulting in laps and pushups for the entire group even the coaches. Even Head Coach Bill O’Brien joined in on the offensive festivities on the field.

What did J.J. Watt do? The first snap of the team session would have ended in Watt sacking Hoyer. He continues to do what he does best: energize the entire defensive unit.

Alan Bonner returned to the field for the first time in year and showed why he could...​

Video -- Texans training camp: Thoughts from the first day

Camp Confidential: Day One (Aug. 1)

Here is what you need to know about Day 1 of camp, as a relatively mild August morning made for a beautiful start to football season.

>>> Jaelen Strong got off to, well, a strong start. In early wide receiving drills, he used one hand to snare a wobbly Tom Savage throw and earned a loud kudos from head coach Bill O’Brien, who rarely doles out such accolades to a rookie. The 3rd-round pick also impressed with his speed in 7-on-7 drills, showing off his leaner frame after dropping 20 pounds this offseason.

>>> There were a few mild surprises running with the first team at Saturday’s practice. C.J. Fiedorowicz (tight end), Andre Hal (safety) and Mike Mohamed (linebacker), and Nate Washington (WR) all took significant starting reps to open camp. O’Brien had complimentary things to say about each but noted that there’s a lot of mixing and matching with the units early in camp.
“Everybody’s repping with everybody else at this point… Different receivers and different backs work with different lines right now and it’s just about getting everybody on film,” O’Brien said.
>>> Savage was entirely shaky to open camp, and there doesn’t seem to be much chance for him to even get a look at the starting job. There was the poor throw to Strong, an INT in 7-on-7s, essentially taking a sack during that same set and making a slew of throws that wobbled and hung in the air too much. Despite the outing, O’Brien said all is not lost for Savage yet.

“Tom is a very improved player. I think even today, he came out and made some nice throws. Obviously, had a couple plays he wishes he could have back, just like everybody else out here. Anybody out here competing has a chance to be able to compete for a job.”

>>> Despite some high praise from O’Brien for the secondary, the receiving corps seemed to get the best of the cornerbacks for the majority of Saturday’s work. In the opening 7-on-7 sequence, DeAndre Hopkins snared a ball in tight quarters against Jonathan Joseph, igniting the early-morning crowd at the practice facility. Nate Washington, who was used extensively as the No. 2 WR option, bested A.J. Bouye on a deep go route in the end zone moments later. That fit with Brian Hoyer’s lofty words about the receivers after practice:

“Every guy comes out here, knows the system, competes really well,” Hoyer said. “It wasn’t just DeAndre or Nate or Cecil [Shorts III], we had guys all around making plays. When you have the depth like that, as quarterbacks it’s great… As a group, it’s one of the best groups I’ve been around from top to bottom… That’s definitely one of our strengths when it comes to our offense.

>>> Jeff Adams took a lot of reps at guard with the No. 1s. While the Columbia product is by no means a sure-thing starter, it’s a positive sign for the Texans’ depth along the line if he’s progressed this much by the start of camp. It’s hard to glean too much from offensive line performance this far from the season without everyone in pads. Still, it’s Adams’ versatility which ultimately might net him more game action in 2015.

“We’re mixing and matching with our offense line and playing different groups,” O’Brien said. “Jeff can play tackle and guard. He’s an example of a guy who can play a few positions well and a versatile talent, so we threw him in at guard today.”​

Last edited:
Absolutely. Looking forward to seeing who's being promoted and demoted from the lineup after all of day 2 of camp. Maybe they'll time Clowney's walk from the building to the fields faster than today's and declare him one step closer to action.

And but hugging? C'mon man, isn't that a bit harsh. Did the official radio station man tell you that one too, in between in depth rep updates?

I'm going to backtrack on my post...

After looking through the 700+ practice photos, it's apparent to me that Adams got a lot more than "a few first team reps" that was reported on Twitter.

I think you may be onto something, xtruroyaltyx, and this may indeed become a story. It could be something as little as discipline for an infraction like missing or late to a meeting... or more. We'll see.

Thanks for pointing it out. I would've missed that had you not done so. :tiphat:

If Su'a Filo had already clinched the starting role, he'd be out there with the other guys who clinched their starting roles. I'm not buying that this is an evaluation of Adams in context with the 1's. There's plenty of days of camp left to do that.

If Su'a Filo had already clinched the starting role, he'd be out there with the other guys who clinched their starting roles. I'm not buying that this is an evaluation of Adams in context with the 1's. There's plenty of days of camp left to do that.
OB stated that the team is mixing and matching different players and that there is no 1st, 2nd or 3rd team right now. I wouldn't read anything at all into who's on the field with whom 2 days into camp.

About 3 minutes in.

Last edited:
Video -- Texans training camp: Thoughts from the first day

Camp Confidential: Day One (Aug. 1)

Here is what you need to know about Day 1 of camp, as a relatively mild August morning made for a beautiful start to football season.

>>> Jaelen Strong got off to, well, a strong start. In early wide receiving drills, he used one hand to snare a wobbly Tom Savage throw and earned a loud kudos from head coach Bill O’Brien, who rarely doles out such accolades to a rookie. The 3rd-round pick also impressed with his speed in 7-on-7 drills, showing off his leaner frame after dropping 20 pounds this offseason.

>>> There were a few mild surprises running with the first team at Saturday’s practice. C.J. Fiedorowicz (tight end), Andre Hal (safety) and Mike Mohamed (linebacker), and Nate Washington (WR) all took significant starting reps to open camp. O’Brien had complimentary things to say about each but noted that there’s a lot of mixing and matching with the units early in camp.
“Everybody’s repping with everybody else at this point… Different receivers and different backs work with different lines right now and it’s just about getting everybody on film,” O’Brien said.
>>> Savage was entirely shaky to open camp, and there doesn’t seem to be much chance for him to even get a look at the starting job. There was the poor throw to Strong, an INT in 7-on-7s, essentially taking a sack during that same set and making a slew of throws that wobbled and hung in the air too much. Despite the outing, O’Brien said all is not lost for Savage yet.

“Tom is a very improved player. I think even today, he came out and made some nice throws. Obviously, had a couple plays he wishes he could have back, just like everybody else out here. Anybody out here competing has a chance to be able to compete for a job.”

>>> Despite some high praise from O’Brien for the secondary, the receiving corps seemed to get the best of the cornerbacks for the majority of Saturday’s work. In the opening 7-on-7 sequence, DeAndre Hopkins snared a ball in tight quarters against Jonathan Joseph, igniting the early-morning crowd at the practice facility. Nate Washington, who was used extensively as the No. 2 WR option, bested A.J. Bouye on a deep go route in the end zone moments later. That fit with Brian Hoyer’s lofty words about the receivers after practice:

“Every guy comes out here, knows the system, competes really well,” Hoyer said. “It wasn’t just DeAndre or Nate or Cecil [Shorts III], we had guys all around making plays. When you have the depth like that, as quarterbacks it’s great… As a group, it’s one of the best groups I’ve been around from top to bottom… That’s definitely one of our strengths when it comes to our offense.

>>> Jeff Adams took a lot of reps at guard with the No. 1s. While the Columbia product is by no means a sure-thing starter, it’s a positive sign for the Texans’ depth along the line if he’s progressed this much by the start of camp. It’s hard to glean too much from offensive line performance this far from the season without everyone in pads. Still, it’s Adams’ versatility which ultimately might net him more game action in 2015.

“We’re mixing and matching with our offense line and playing different groups,” O’Brien said. “Jeff can play tackle and guard. He’s an example of a guy who can play a few positions well and a versatile talent, so we threw him in at guard today.”​
18. But, of the quarterback group, Tom Savage
icon-article-link.gif
may have had the best day. I thought Tom threw it well throughout the day, other than taking a couple of coverage sacks. He’s made significant progress since last season and that’s great to see.
I guess it's all in the eye of the beerholder. LOL :thinking:

OB stated that the team is mixing and matching different players and that there is no 1st, 2nd or 3rd team right now. I wouldn't read anything at all into who's on the field with whom 2 days into camp.

About 3 minutes in.

They move around so much so fast it's hard to keep up . We thought Duane Brown was hurt because 68 was running with the first team for awhile .

About 3 minutes in.
The competition at the OL position is, IMO, the biggest question mark going into training camp and the season. Despite the negativity on the depth, including myself, I've been really studying the players we have in camp, and I'm beginning to trend a bit more positive.

The biggest question mark for me right now is newly aquired Aaron Adams. Can he be counted on after coming back from his surgery 10 months ago? As with all recoveries, he won't be back 100%, but if he makes it through camp, he would be the answer to our need for a swing tackle.

Right now, Jeff Adams is being counted on becoming our swing tackle, but if Aaron Adams can fill this need, then Jeff Adams could move inside to OG.

Then, if Cody White can solidify his position on the 53, he can play OG and OC.

If everything breaks right, these three would comprise a pretty good foundation behind our starters.

We could go into the season with only 8 OL'men on the 53, but I think we would carry one more - Greg Mancz - who can play OC and OG. We would be taking a risk that he would not clear waivers, to go on the PS. Two years ago, we tried to carry White on the PS, but Miami was going to grab him so we had to activate him to the 53 to keep him on the roster.

I would feel very good going into the season with A. Adams, J. Adams, White and Mancz as our backups.

We would then be able to carry several fine rookie prospects on the PS for development.

This would be one reason why we are seeing playing time for Jeff Adams at LG.

Dale Robertson ‏@sportywineguy
Rookie ILB Reshard Cliett being taken off on cart. Doc Lowe was working his right knee.

First Look: Quarterback Drills

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Much better day for Mallett in his turn working with the 1s. Still a little inconsistent underneath but making some splash throws.​

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Will Johnson ends practice by not missing a field goal attempt.

Impressed with Savage
today. Been directing traffic and finally completing passes at a good clip.

Been confirmed Savage is wearing goggles underneath his helmet.

Graham with a TD reception but would have been a sack by Carlos Thompson. Offense doing push-ups.

Mumphery and James with some nice words for each other.

Bonner has stood out the past two days. Wonder if this is why they have held onto him.

Mallett scrambles for a TD. The entire defense does push ups.

J.J. Watt tips the Mallett pass.

Hopkins with another nice catch. Like @awexler says, just throw it to him good chance he catches it.

Savage
with a nice corner route TD throw to Denham.

Charles James
jumps the route and deflects the pass.

Jaelen Strong continuing to produce. Nice out route reception there.

Foster? Just hurdled Newton full speed into the end zone. #Texans

Mallett with poor ball placement on the last crossing route. Behind Shorts who was open.

Mike McFarland with another great catch in the back of the end zone for a TD from Savage. #

Kareem Jackson with good coverage on Hopkins to take the quick game from him. Mallett has to dump the ball off.

Arian Foste
r red zone show. Catching the ball well from Mallett. #Texans

Kickers looking nice today. Will Johnson and Randy Bullock consistently getting the ball deep in the end zones during KOs.

Shorts
with a nice reception from Mallett. Good day of work from Shorts today.

Fiedorowicz
drops a pass right in his nads from Mallett. Good coverage from Mercilus. #Texans

Mumphery
catches a corner route from Mallett for a TD. Opposite field Jace Davis catches deep ball from Hoyer. #Texans

Alan Bonner has been everywhere today. Working in and catching well today.

Mohamed tips a Mallett pass in traffic. Caught by Griffin. #Texans

Eddie Pleasant with a good break on the ball drops the interception. Strong day for Pleasant today. #Texans

Mallett has responded today. Having better personnel has helped him today. #Texans

Mallett hits Hopkins for a deep ball down the sideline. Diving reception. #Texans

Cliett headed in now with training staff. Done for the day. #Texans

O'Brien over with the training staff looking at Cliett. Checking his knee. #Texans

Cliett down on the field. #Texans

#Texans working on kickoff coverage.

Mixed bag for Mallett. Now much open downfield took the check downs. All you can ask for. #Texans

Kenny Hilliard takes a lap for fumbling. #Texans

Martin makes an deep ball touchdown over role from Savage. Acrobatic catch fell hard on his hip. Bounced back up. #Texans

Bullough dropped into his zone, pass was intended for Fiedorowicz. #Texans

Bullough almost intercepts a pass off of the arm of Mallett. #Texans

Mallett with a strong throw to Washington on a half roll. #Texans

Mallett getting the first go during team and handed the ball off. #Texans

Cecil Shorts pretty sharp routes today. Making defenders slip and able to create space. #Texans

Receivers getting the best of the defensive backs early. #Texans

Strong working early. Nice route to get open vs Morris. #Texans

Mike McFarland putting on a show early. Two strong receptions. Using strength and his 6-5 height to go over Parks. #Texans

Shorts with a sharp route makes Johnson slip. Open target for Savage. #Texans

Alan Bonner working over Charles James. #Texans

Washington drops a back shoulder throw from Mallett #Texans

Eddie Pleasant with a nice pass breakup. #Texans

One vs ones fixing to start. #Texans

Quarterbacks airing it out today working route combinations. #Texans

Mumphery, Worthy, Bonner and Strong getting coached up away from the team. #Texans

Mallett getting his shot today. #TexansCamp

#Texans walking through special teams at the moment.​

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Su'a-Filo running crossfield sprints by himself. Sweating it out.

Mallett scrambles
in for 10-yard TD. Defense does pushups. All is right with the world.

Johnson, Strong matched up several times. Strong yet to stand out; not getting ball much. Also early.

Hoyer ends drill with soft-touch TD to Graham in right-corner end zone. Another on and off day for No. 7

Louis Nix
walked off by trainers with towel around neck.

Much better day for Mallett,
who just hit Shorts and Hopkins with sharp throws. Back shoulder for a falling Shorts.

Best play of camp
thus far. Mallett hits Hopkins for 45-yard completion, with @Nukdabomb leaping and pulling in ball with one hand.

And he continues to look very good early.

Arian's going through camp with a hoodie beneath jersey. #Texans

Better touch by Mallett, Hoyer today. Also no pass rush yet. #Texans

Mallett incomplete to Fiedorowicz. #Texans https://vine.co/v/eHhOVeglX3a

Mallett to Lee. #Texans https://vine.co/v/eHhOhZxFnjL

Mallett and Hoyer. #Texans https://vine.co/v/eHhbhHzMaxz

Mallett initially leading 1s today. #Texans​

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Louis Nix went inside. Was walking fine. Might be an overheating issue. Made it all the way through yesterday's practice.

I've counted two times JJ Watt would've sacked Mallett today if he were allowed. Might have missed one or two. #Texans

Cliett left practice on a cart.

Mallett goes deep to DeAndre Hopkins for a TD. Nice catch and throw. #Texans

Sixth round pick Reshard Cliett down on the field after kickoffs. Looks like his right knee. #Texans

While Mallett leads 1s vs 1s, Keshawn Martin makes a leaping grab for a TD from Savage at the other end of the field. #Texans

O'Brien said yesterday they'd be working everyone with everyone in different drills. #Texans

Order of QBs in passing game drills today: Mallett, Hoyer, Savage. #Texans

Crazy to think @DuaneBrown76 is now the longest tenured #Texans player.

Lonnie Ballentine not working today. Hurt something that looked like legs yesterday. #Texans (cc @DZangaro)

Ryan Mallett up first today in 11s. #Texans​

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
The more I watch new DL coach Paul Pasqualoni the more I'm impressed. He's not taking it easy on Watt or Wilfork. Impressive.

Texans signed vet NT Chris Neild cause they need depth at that position. Need depth in OL and DL bad.

Strong is very smooth on his routes and shows soft hands. Still has a lot of work to do. Texans hope he was a third round steal.

I know its early but the more I watch rookie WR Jaelen Strong in camp the more impressed I am. He missed most of offseason program.

Second year CB Andre Hal has to be all over the field cause he plays inside, outside and safety.

Watching NT Vince Wilfork reminds me of standing next to a boxcar. He's almost that wide. And sturdy.

Even though DeAndre Hopkins missed the offseason recovering from wrist surgery, he's catching everything.

Hoyer shows a nice touch on deep passes. Just completed 4 in row from 30 to 40 yards, all caught perfectly in end zone.

DeAndre Hopkins returns ball after making a long catch down the sideline.

Hoyer, Mallett and Savage working with receivers.

Former Texans O lineman Fred Weary is first former Texans player to participate in team's minority coaching internship. Works with OL.

Rookie WR Jaelen Strong is 211. He was 217 at combine when he ran 4.44.​

Dale Robertson ‏@sportywineguy
Nimble running by Arian Foster. Leaped over trouble. His legs look great.

Promising rookie TE Mike McFarland. Big target, soft hands.​

Last edited:

Charles James jumps the route and deflects the pass.

This guy is becoming this year's AJ Bouye, there hasn't been one daily recap that I haven't heard something positive about him, similar to Bouye last camp.

We are so deep at CB it's going to be exciting to see these guys compete for reps!

Playoff,

Thanks for what must be a very time-intensive exercise of organizing these play-by-play documentations. Your posts are virtually the only feedback we seem to get re. TC so far this year. I find it curious that attendees do not come onto the board and give us their observations and and impressions. I also find it surprising of how little commentary is generated by your posts.

Specifically, as pertains to the above post, despite Mallet having a pretty nice day, glaringly absent are any positive reports from McClain..............I feel his "Hoyer favoritism" he made known early on, is affecting his ability to report in an impartial "balanced" approach.

Thanks again for the hard work you continue to put into the MB.

Last edited:
Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
When asked if Jeff Adams is an option for starting at LG, O'Brien says simply, "Yes."​

does anyone know when the pads will go on?
Monday... evening practice.

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Bill O'Brien says he expects Jadeveon Clowney to work out with the team for the first time Aug 17th

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Mallett had a "[very] good day," O'Brien said.

Strong came into camp in shape and has had two "decent" days.​

Will Grubb ‏@GrubbReport
Bill O'Brien says criticism of Texans QB's "pisses me off sometimes". Says city of Houston should be proud of them.​

Last edited:
It's possible that Su'a-Filo is recovering from an undisclosed injury.

And Nix is lucky that the heat isn't as bad as years past.

Playoff,

Thanks for what must be a very time-intensive exercise of organizing these play-by-play documentations. Your posts are virtually the only feedback we seem to get re. TC so far this year. I find it curious that attendees do not come onto the board and give us their observations and and impressions. I also find it surprising of how little commentary is generated by your posts.

Specifically, as pertains to the above post, despite Mallet having a pretty nice day, glaringly absent are any positive reports from McClain..............I feel his "Hoyer favoritism" he made known early on, is affecting his ability to report in an impartial "balanced" approach.

This.

Makes getting a truckload of information all at once very easy. Invaluable.

...I also find it surprising of how little commentary is generated by your posts....
I guess it's just the nature of people attending practices to gravitate to the QB's and receivers and the DB's covering the receivers. About 95% of all reports are about these performances. This year, I'm much more interested in the OL'men and the ILB's. Who we are going to carry at these two positions is much more up-in-the-air, than any other position.

One observation I've seen concerning receivers is Alan Bonner. If he has a good camp, how does he fit in? We only have so many spots. Also, Nwachukwu? He always seem to have a good camp but has been stashed on the PS for two years. This year he appears to be more polished and stronger - to go with his speed. How does he fit in?

We've reached a point in our team development that we are going to have to make some tough decisions on the 53 man roster and will be releasing some pretty good players who we have been developing the past several years.

Su'a-Filo running crossfield sprints by himself. Sweating it out.

Just saw that. Maybe he showed up out of shape.

Playoff,

Let me echo everything that CND has said. Many of us certainly including myself appreciate what you are giving us and I also wish we could get more feedback from others attending TC, but thanks so much for this info you've given us PO.
It almost sounds as if Mallet is running #3 behind both Hoyer and Savage, but I'm glad the former Pitt QB is finally getting a handle on things and who knows he could end up being the surprise as the #2 or backup to the starter.
Does not sound good about Cliett - never like to see the word cart in the same sentence with a player's name.

Seems like X has some ground to make up. He's still a young guy though. He might still get a shot with the one's too though...Still would have liked to see him seize hold of that spot.
Adams with the 1s again. Most import to me was OB's comment that Adams is in play to possibly start at LG. SOTT highlighted Adams as someone they really like.

Last edited:
Brian Smith tells me XSF was running with the 1s today, fwiw. Edited out the info from some radio guy. Most import to me was OB's comment that Adams is in play to possibly start at LG. SOTT highlighted Adams as someone they really like.
You can't talk about J. Adams moving inside to start at LG without then talking about who would be our swing tackle. What are the thoughts on this?

I have him listed as a TE. Has he been moved to OT?
(edit) I guess I read this wrong. Not a response to my prior post.
Unless something has drastically changed since college, OT does not seem to be a reasonable option for McFarland. Once of the main knocks on him coming out was that he showed poor pass blocking skills......add in the fact that he is only ~250 lbs...........

I have him listed as a TE. Has he been moved to OT?
(edit) I guess I read this wrong. Not a response to my prior post.

Oh...Yeah...Sorry...

Was just spitting out a random thought after reading through the notes playoffs posted and then heading over to youtube....

but .... but .... Hoyer showed nice touch on 4 passes in a row ....nice touch ... touch .... nice.

Also, Thank you Playoffs for consolidating all the media into one easy to read location

You can't talk about J. Adams moving inside to start at LG without then talking about who would be our swing tackle. What are the thoughts on this?
My thoughts aren't worth much, but foremost it's very early...

One reason to work somebody at LG is if Ben Jones goes down we must have a plan... I think XSF might slide over to C, so you have to be prepared. Ferentz I'm not sure is gonna be big enough. Adams supposedly can play G or T, but we need to see where he's getting reps deeper into camp. Wouldn't be surprised to see us bring another OL in at some point. I think we've got a sharper eye in Mike Devlin on this group(vs. Paul Dunne), so it'll be interesting to see how he ranks and assigns this group. Bigger seems to be a priority, along with drilling technique. His players universally rave about Devlin.

23 observations from day two of #TexansCamp
John Harris
The consensus amongst most people was that day one of training camp was uncharacteristically bearable. Sure, it was in the 90s but it felt like a cold front in comparison to first days of camp in the past. Honestly, it just wasn’t as humid as it turned out to be later in the day. Well, day two brought the funk and the humidity and it was seemingly back to normal. The players, unfortunately, paid for it too. A night practice might be the perfect tonic, so to speak, for these players to unleash on the first day of pads.

So, what happened in day two, other than the heat winning the day? Here are my observations.

1. Following a similar script to minicamp/OTAs, Ryan Mallett spent the day with the presumed first unit and Brian Hoyer spent the day with the second unit. Bill O’Brien mentioned in his post practice presser on Saturday that he wasn’t any closer to a decision on the starter and that was evident when Mallett took the first team reps.

2. Mallett responded on Sunday with a solid day, a better day than day one. He threw it well at nearly every level on the field, with touch when needed, completing a number of different throws in various drills throughout the day. More than once, he connected with DeAndre Hopkins (more on him in a bit) and got the Texans two wide receiver free agents Cecil Shorts III and Nate Washington consistently throughout the day.

3. I’ve mentioned, more often than not, that the only sure thing at the receiver position is that Hopkins is a lock. Other than than, it’s a wide open competition for every spot and every rep. Shorts, Washington and company have engaged in a full-on, no holds barred battle and no one is backing off.

4. Alan Bonner is one of those guys that has injected himself into the receiver competition and he’s had two solid days getting open, catching the rock and running after the catch.

5. The best catch of the day took place all the way down the field away from where I was standing. Mallett eyed Hopkins down the field on a deep route and launched one that looked like it had no chance. Hopkins threw out a paw and held on in front of a throng of fans standing ten deep in the far end zone. The reaction of the offense was telling as they all ran down to congratulate Hopkins after making the catch. I hate to take something like that for granted but it’s become commonplace for him to catch the uncatchable. This summer, he even told Marc Vandermeer and I that he thought one hand catches are overrated but I beg to differ. He just makes it look easy and routine and it’s definitely not.

5. Later in a team period, Shorts made a tremendous catch, about two inches off the ground. Running downfield matched up with a defensive back in man coverage, Shorts adjusted to Mallett’s backshoulder throw, low and outside. He got turned around, ripped back through the DB and literally picked the ball off the turf before it hit the ground.

6. Last year, I made a habit out of going down and watching the inside/outside linebackers under the leadership of linebackers coach Mike Vrabel. Day in and day out, Vrabel aggressively counseled Whitney Mercilus on being violent with his hands, hand placement and execution. This year is a completely different story. Mercilus has learned under Vrabel’s guidance and Whitney’s hard work has paid off handsomely. I saw him face the tight ends in a leverage run blocking drill and it was the type of drill that Whitney would’ve struggled with early last year. But, that’s not the case at all any more and Mercilus is a different player, in a good, very good way.

7. Speaking of Vrabel...the inside linebackers and outside linebackers split up during individual period and Vrabel took the inside linebackers over to the middle of the field. At the same time, the OLBs worked on a drill near the sideline. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Well, OLB Jason Ankrah had just finished a rep during the OLB drills and from the middle of the field, the voice of Vrabel could be heard. Not for the inside linebackers but for Ankrah as he finished the drill. All knowing is one thing, seeing it all is quite another but Vrabel found a way.

8. Tight end Garrett Graham had a strong period in 1-on-1s v. the defense’s safeties and linebackers. He had four straight catches and I don’t recall seeing him have an incompletion on any of his reps.

9. Watching Arian Foster work his routes in the passing game, he’s got to be one of the toughest players to cover on this team. He made an outstanding catch on a short route over the middle and broke free after the catch. He’s looked strong in the run game. Standing behind one of the run plays during team, I saw him make a cut that I still can figure out how he saw the hole open up. Then, he has the ability to make his cuts without slowing or even stopping to make the cut as most running backs have to do. Not to mention, the practice hoodie is a nice touch too.

10. Brian Cushing started off the 1-on-1 period with a pass break-up on a flat route thrown to Alfred Blue. Then, during one of the team’s 11-on-11 periods, Cushing forced another PBU on a pass to Foster. JJ Watt got pressure up the field and forced Mallett to check down to Arian, but Cushing made the hit (well, without pads obviously) and broke up the pass. It’s been refreshing to watch 56 run, move and strike with the alacrity that he has. He’s been much more sudden than I can remember and I can’t wait to see him when the pads go on.

11. Cushing’s running mate at inside linebacker with the first group has been Mike Mohamed and I wrote “54 PBU” (pass break up) three times in my notes. I just don’t know how Romeo Crennel can take Mohamed off the field with all that he does in this defense.

12. Max Bullough had some struggles in 1-on-1s in coverage but the first play he was on the field during 2-spot 7-on-7 drills, he made a diving pass break up of a ball thrown by Mallett.

13. Jeff Tarpinian doesn’t get the acclaim that the others do at the inside linebacker position but his coverage of one of the running backs out of the backfield got the attention, this time in a positive manner, of Vrabel.

14. I, obviously, don’t get to see everything that happens at practice but I have “eyes” everywhere. Eric SanInocencio, our Digital Media Director, noted that one of the best moments in practice involved first round rookie CB Kevin Johnson and Hopkins. The two groups, WR and DB, were chatty, for lack of a better word, and it culminated with this battle during 1-on-1s. It went the defense’s way as Johnson knocked away the pass in a physical confrontation. Some rookies or young players would shy away or defer to veterans when a player of Hopkins rolls to the front of the line, but Johnson not only didn’t back down, he relished the challenge.

15. OLB Lynden Trail didn’t bite on a play action fake to harass Brian Hoyer which drew praise from the defensive coaches. Trail will be in the spotlight as the pads go on and he’s got to make a physical statement over the next few days. If he can do that, he’ll definitely get more meaningful reps in the near future.

16. I mentioned earlier that it wasn’t quite as hot during the day and that led to some jumbling up of the offensive line throughout the day. At one point, undrafted rookie tackle Kendall Lamb from Appalachian State looked across the line of scrimmage and found the best player in the world across from him. The first rep he was a bit shellshocked and with good reason, but the second rep, he hung in there before Watt got a rest. I liked that Watt didn’t turn the volume down against the rookie who was blocking guys from Georgia State and ULM last year. I saw Lamm walking off the field and I wanted to say to him “hey, you just stood in there against the best you’ll ever face. It’s all downhill from here, right?” Then, I figured I’d mention that a different day.

17. There was an odd moment in practice where Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett were executing 7-on-7 in a two spot situation. They threw the ball so perfectly timed, about three seconds apart, that I saw both. Each throw was nearly a dirt diver but for the same reason - it was the only spot where their receivers could make the catch. Nearly the same throw within seconds of one another.

18. Then, later in the same drill, Hoyer hit Jace Davis deep for a touchdown while Mallett, a few seconds later completed a pass to wide open Keith Mumphery for a TD. Literally seconds apart on opposite ends of the field.

19. During the team’s kickoff return period, I was writing some notes when I looked up just as Troy University rookie Chandler Worthy sped up the sideline closest to me. Whoa, he was FLYING; that dude can run. He made a couple of catches during the day, including a low catch that he had to go down and scoop up off the turf. It’s proven to be a crowded receiver logjam but if there’s something that separates him from the others, it’s his jets.

20. A guy that gets overshadowed a bunch is RB Jonathan Grimes. The team’s third RB last year didn’t get a ton of opportunities in 2014 to tote the rock. But, he’s been impressive over the first two days of work. He used a double move to get wide open veruss a linebacker for a TD in 1-on-1s and later in practice, he had a run back across the middle and burst into the end zone on a goal line drill. I’ve been a fan from the first time I saw him as an undrafted player out of William & Mary. Grimes isn’t about to give up that No. 3 spot without a fight and that’s what it’s going to take to make this roster at that spot behind Foster and Blue.

21. I haven’t watched the linemen much without pads but I did head down to watch some pass rush 1-on-1. One guy who stood out, just based on how quick he appeared to throw hands and work his moves, was Jared Crick. Mercilus looked much more adept and quicker off the edge, while John Simon is a pass rushing tasmanian devil. I wouldn’t want to step in front of that joker when he has a QB in his sights.

22. Yesterday, I mentioned the Texans signing last week of Aaron Adams but I erroneously failed to mention the signing of Chris Neild, a NT from the Redskins who injured his knee in 2014 training camp. He’s a human brick. I don’t see anyone moving him off the ball at all. He flashed during a team red zone drill when he burst past the center and beat the RB to the line of scrimmage. Making an impression is key when you’re obtained at this late date, but sometimes it takes one play to get some attention. Neild got mine, that’s for sure.

23. The final team drill ended with a Ryan Mallett scramble for a TD and a Brian Hoyer to Garrett Graham TD completion. It also has become a fan favorite because the loser is forced to do push ups out on the field. On Saturday, Kareem Jackson got down on the field as the offense was forced to push ups, right in the face of a few offensive players. Today, when Mallett scampered for the TD as the defense completely voided the left side of the field, the tables turned. This time, DeAndre Hopkins took a knee next to Jackson as he did his push ups. I’m sure it was just to discuss what time ice cream snack was tonight, that’s all. Right?

Going to have to wait until Monday night for my next observations piece. The first practice in pads the next practice on the docket and is scheduled for 6 PM under the lights! Be sure to listen to our Texans training camp radio shows all week 8-10 am, practice or not, on our flagship Sports Radio 610 and read/listen to all of our Texans Camp articles, interviews and videos at www.houstontexans.com/TexansCamp.

At OLB we have Clowney, Simon and Mercilus locked in. The fourth spot will likely be between Lynden Trail and Jason Ankrah. There's also Kourtnei Brown and Carlos Thompson, but they're unlikely to figure into the equation.

Everyday, Bonner earns attention. I just can't figure how he fits in, unless Shorts is not a lock. I see us carrying 5 receivers: Hopkins, Strong, Mumphery, Washington and Shorts.

It's good to hear that Mercilus is improved over last year.

Mohamed is our best coverage LB. Bullough is a two down back, Dent is a two down back and, right now, McKinney is a two down back. I see Bullough returning to the PS and McKinney replacing Dent on the 53. So that makes Cushing, McKinney and Mohamed as our first three ILB's. I had Cliett penciled in as our fourth ILB, but with his knee injury, this is up in the air. The fifth spot will go to a key special teams contributor and come down to a camp battle between Tarpinian and Tuggle - whichever one has most improved the other aspects of his game. If Cliett's injury is serious, then Dent might figure back into the mix. But with the addition of McKinney and, maybe, Cliett, one or two LB's from last year will not make it this year.

Right now I've got one spot open on my potential 53. I wonder if Chandler Worthy might make it as a return specialist?

Ryan Mallett gets his day in Texans' QB battle, looks good
Tania Ganguli, ESPN Staff Writer

When he balked at the presumption by some that he was out of the Houston Texans quarterback battle, Ryan Mallett hadn't yet gotten his day.

It came instead on Sunday, when Mallett spent most of his day with the first team, just as Brian Hoyer had done the day before. In an early first-team offense vs. first-team defense session, Mallett completed six of nine throws. One of those six might have been a sack, but as sacks aren't allowed right now in training camp, Mallett got the ball out under pressure to Nate Washington.

Among the three incompletions, one was nearly intercepted by linebacker Max Bullough, who dove for it. It wasn't reaching a receiver one way or another. Another play was a win all around by the defense -- Mallett threw the ball with J.J. Watt's arm wrapped around his waist, running back Arian Foster dropped the pass and linebacker Brian Cushing essentially tackled Foster for good measure.

The day's crowd pleaser came on a deep throw from Mallett to DeAndre Hopkins -- a signature Hopkins one-handed touchdown catch. The throw was nice and the catch was, too. In fact Mallett had nice touch on several of his throws -- he had a good one that should have been complete to C.J. Fiedorowicz. (Aside: I wrote this offseason about how Mallett has worked on reining in his powerful arm.)

Especially early in practice, one difference I noticed from Saturday to Sunday was that Hoyer seemed to go for it deep more Saturday than Mallett did Sunday. Overall from Mallett I'd say it was one of the better days he's had that I've seen.

A few more notes from Sunday's practice:

• Foster has looked good in training camp. He had a nimble play on a red-zone drill Sunday, hurdling one of the tackles to get into theend zone. He also caught a short pass and got through the first level of the defense.
  • After practice coach Bill O'Brien was asked about a rumor that Hoyer has been named the starter already. I haven't heard that rumor, but if it's out there, O'Brien dispelled it. "That would be absolutely untrue," O'Brien said. "Every play, every day is evaluated. These guys are very even. No decisions have been made."

• Two pass catchers who had nice days besides Hopkins were receiver Cecil Shorts III and tight end Mike McFarland, an undrafted rookie out of South Florida. McFarland is a very big guy -- he's listed as 6-foot-5 [6' 6.5"] but looks bigger. He was able to make some nice plays reaching over defenders.

• Nose tackle Louis Nix made it all the way through Saturday's practice. He briefly stepped out of Sunday's practice with what looked like a bit of a heat issue. Overall, though, O'Brien has been pleased with what Nix has done. "I’m not sure what happened to him today, but he came back and passed the conditioning test, which is a big, big accomplishment for him," O'Brien said. "He’s worked very hard this offseason. I think if he keeps stringing days together where he can improve every day and get better, I think he’s off to a good start."
Full pads go on for Monday night's practice. Hooray!​

Although I haven't seen any of the potential returners field kicks yet (sans Martin) I'm going into the preseason with a bias favoring Bonner for his lateral quickness and sharp cuts

Here comes some wild and some not-so-wild speculation: The speculative pick Louis Nix didn't work out and will be cut. Mike McFarland nudges Fido off the roster.
At OLB we have Clowney, Simon, and Mercilus locked in. The fourth spot will likely be between Lynden Trail and Jason Ankrah. There's also Kourtnei Brown and Carlos Thompson, but they're unlikely to figure into the equation.
Lynden Trail makes the team. I'm not convinced Clowney, the biggest faux pas in the history of drafting, can come back.
Everyday, Bonner earns attention. I just can't figure how he fits in, unless Shorts is not a lock. I see us carrying 5 receivers: Hopkins, Strong, Mumphery, Washington, and Shorts.
With so many promising receivers, the mistake that was Jaelen Strong is trade bait.
It's good to hear that Mercilus is improved over last year.
Mohamed is our best coverage LB. Bullough is a two down back, Dent is a two down back and, right now, McKinney is a two down back. I see Bullough returning to the PS and McKinney replacing Dent on the 53. So that makes Cushing, McKinney and Mohamed as our first three ILB's. I had Cliett penciled in as our fourth ILB, but with his knee injury, this is up in the air. The fifth spot will go to a key special teams contributor and come down to a camp battle between Tarpinian and Tuggle - whichever one has most improved the other aspects of his game. If Cliett's injury is serious, then Dent might figure back into the mix. But with the addition of McKinney and, maybe, Cliett, one or two LB's from last year will not make it this year.
Cliett is gone due to injury. Still, with so many talented linebackers, the mistake that was Bernardrick McKinney should be traded if possible, otherwise waived and maybe added to the PS.
Right now I've got one spot open on my potential 53. I wonder if Chandler Worthy might make it as a return specialist?
Either him or Bonner.

Last edited:
Back