Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade for Duke Johnson

Players to drop in fantasy football entering Week 5

DUKE JOHNSON/CARLOS HYDE, RB, HOUSTON TEXANS

(Both 67% rostered)

Hyde is getting the carries between these two, but he’s not doing a lot with them and has basically no receiving value. And Johnson isn’t contributing enough as a receiver either, averaging just 3.3 targets and 2.0 receptions a game. They’ve combined for one touchdown across all four weeks and barely 16.0 PPR points a game. Feel free to move on.

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-players-to-drop-week-5-2019

Players to drop in fantasy football entering Week 5

DUKE JOHNSON/CARLOS HYDE, RB, HOUSTON TEXANS

(Both 67% rostered)

Hyde is getting the carries between these two, but he’s not doing a lot with them and has basically no receiving value. And Johnson isn’t contributing enough as a receiver either, averaging just 3.3 targets and 2.0 receptions a game. They’ve combined for one touchdown across all four weeks and barely 16.0 PPR points a game. Feel free to move on.

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-players-to-drop-week-5-2019

Speaking of Hyde and no receiving value. The game plan offense kept sending him out wide and he would run 5 yards and just stop. He rarely ran a pattern or threatened the defense. At times, the DB covering him, gave him such a huge cushion it made Joseph's cushion look like tight coverage.

Speaking of Hyde and no receiving value. The game plan offense kept sending him out wide and he would run 5 yards and just stop. He rarely ran a pattern or threatened the defense. At times, the DB covering him, gave him such a huge cushion it made Joseph's cushion look like tight coverage.

Lol good point. O'Brien doesn't realize Hyde doesn't have good receiving skills. They basically didn't have to cover him

So that confused inaccurate QB caused Hop to drop 3-4 passes in week 1.

You see here we go with the bashing mill.

Hopkins has only been charged with, at most, two drops from every site/registry that I've visited.

If you have another source claiming otherwise I'd be interested to see.

This article on NFL.COM has Duke Johnson as the most underappreciated Texan and an interesting stat.

"Last season, Houston passed on 71.8 percent of plays with Johnson on the field. While he still managed nearly 5 yards per carry and averaged 9.3 yards per reception, the Texans' lopsided play-calling made them predictable. But with the acquisition of David Johnson, Houston now boasts two versatile backs who will make it harder for opponents to know what's coming. The offense will need the boost this balance provides to help offset the loss of DeAndre Hopkins."

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-most-underappreciated-players-one-for-each-afc-team?campaign=Twitter_atn

This article on NFL.COM has Duke Johnson as the most underappreciated Texan and an interesting stat.

"Last season, Houston passed on 71.8 percent of plays with Johnson on the field. While he still managed nearly 5 yards per carry and averaged 9.3 yards per reception, the Texans' lopsided play-calling made them predictable. But with the acquisition of David Johnson, Houston now boasts two versatile backs who will make it harder for opponents to know what's coming. The offense will need the boost this balance provides to help offset the loss of DeAndre Hopkins."

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-most-underappreciated-players-one-for-each-afc-team?campaign=Twitter_atn

I thought Duke was terrific last year, my only complaint was that we didn’t give home enough touches. He’s a weapon

The entire passing game will be different this year. There is no true #1 WR so the ball will be spread around more. We also have Cobb who is easily the best slot guy we’ve ever had so I think he may be one of the most under appreciated guys too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... Duke Johnson can be a great lead back in the NFL. He should have been given the job instead of handing it to David Johnson.

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... Duke Johnson can be a great lead back in the NFL. He should have been given the job instead of handing it to David Johnson.

I will say it again, if Duke was as good as you think he is, the Browns never would've drafted Chubb and signed a woman beater. (Hunt)

I will say it again, if Duke was as good as you think he is, the Browns never would've drafted Chubb and signed a woman beater. (Hunt)
Agreed. Duke Johnson is a reliable guy who is a great 3rd down complimentary RB, and is capable as filling in as the lead starting back for a few games if necessary due to injury, but I wouldn’t want him going into the season as our predetermined #1 guy. He’s shown flashes of being able to be a capable starter, but the sample sizes are too small to convince me he could be trusted over an entire season. After 5 seasons, his role has been carved. Capable guy who can carry the load short term, but will never be a true #1.

Agreed. Duke Johnson is a reliable guy who is a great 3rd down complimentary RB, and is capable as filling in as the lead starting back for a few games if necessary due to injury, but I wouldn’t want him going into the season as our predetermined #1 guy. He’s shown flashes of being able to be a capable starter, but the sample sizes are too small to convince me he could be trusted over an entire season. After 5 seasons, his role has been carved. Capable guy who can carry the load short term, but will never be a true #1.

I agree. Duke isn't a true #1, a bell cow... but I still believe they need to find a way to get him more touches. He's a play maker and good things happen when he has the ball.

BTW, we sure did give up alot (3rd round pick) for a 3rd down back. To compare, the Eagles acquired Jordan Howard for just a 6th rounder.

But with the acquisition of David Johnson, Houston now boasts two versatile backs who will make it harder for opponents to know what's coming.

I don’t follow this logic. The pass/run ratio may change with David Johnson vs Carlos Hyde.

But having David Johnson doesn’t necessarily change how we use Duke.

I thought Duke was terrific last year, my only complaint was that we didn’t give home enough touches. He’s a weapon

The Texans are going to need to use both guys in unpredictable way to make them most effective. David Johnson has the size at 6-1 @ 225 lbs to be a between the tackles runner if he can remain healthy. Duke Johnson can do his damage even more effectively if he can touch the ball more per game. I still think there's a big role for Higdon if he's ready to make the roster.

Last edited:
Back