Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade for Duke Johnson

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tweet from @riversmccown: @PatDStat To me it's a cascade move -- it's what happens when you decide your RB2 isn't mature and you don't procure backup before the season.

Like I said at the lead, I think Duke Johnson is awesome. But giving up a third for a back who you might not even feature is madness to me.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tweet from @riversmccown: @PatDStat If this were going towards freeing Trent Williams or somehow otherwise filling a gaping hole, I’d agree.

But the specific circumstances here make me ambivalent about giving up a potential top 100 pick. You yourself already said you aren’t sure where the targets will come from.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tweet from @riversmccown: @PatDStat I don’t think No. 2 running back is a gaping wound position considering how many average-solid guys will be available at last cuts.

zshawn10

All Pro
The #Texans plan for Duke Johnson to be around for a while. Wanted him in camp now to work with the O for joint practices and preseason. They have been after him. Whatever the price was they valued Johnson as a fit in their O.

— patrick (@PatDStat) August 8, 2019

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Tweet from @PatDStat: The #Texans no doubt backed themselves into this corner with mismanaging the running back position since OB arrived. Still, landing Duke Johnson makes them a better team than yesterday.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Texans had been working on the Duke Johnson trade with the Browns since before training camp. They'll give up their 3 instead of a 4 if he's active for 10 games. They could have 2 compensatory picks in third round for CB Kareem Jackson and S Tyrann Mathieu.

— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) August 8, 2019
Before training camp eh John? & you just now decided to tell us?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
The other good thing is this shows the Texans are willing to make some moves. Hopefully the next one involves a call to Washington.
Not really to me. Their backs were agains the wall and they were in deep trouble at the position. That is when the Texans usually will make a move. When the total bottom is falling out. I don't mean to be a pessimist about it, but just going off of historical record mainly. They'll make moves when they're in dire straights. Its the lack of moves that generally puts them in that position though.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This is not a third-round for a running back, yet. It is a 4th round that could become a third-round. In my opinion right type of running back for our system. Historically that would mean he will be used as a power running back. LOL ! We do have questions on O'Brien being the GM but to be fair this was a decent move. We've got the Barracuda now let's go get a huge killer whale Trent Williams then the bull shark Jalen Ramsey.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Not really to me. Their backs were agains the wall and they were in deep trouble at the position. That is when the Texans usually will make a move. When the total bottom is falling out. I don't mean to be a pessimist about it, but just going off of historical record mainly. They'll make moves when they're in dire straights. Its the lack of moves that generally puts them in that position though.
It is just as likely that O'Brien had this move in his plan if Foreman didn't work out. I hate to defend Bill O'Brien but this is a better move in my opinion than drafting somebody in 2019 in 4th round.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This is not a third-round for a running back, yet. It is a 4th round that could become a third-round. In my opinion right type of running back for our system. Historically that would mean he will be used as a power running back. LOL ! We do have questions on O'Brien being the GM but to be fair this was a decent move. We've got the Barracuda now let's go get a huge killer whale Trent Williams then the bull shark Jalen Ramsey.
If it's only a 4th rounder that means he didn't play 10 games, which would be worse

Reactions: JB

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It is just as likely that O'Brien had this move in his plan if Foreman didn't work out. I hate to defend Bill O'Brien but this is a better move in my opinion than drafting somebody in 2019 in 4th round.
I agree Duke is at least a pretty good player.

My skepticism comes 1) the price and 2) does OBrien know how to use him? He's not Earl Campbell either

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
John Harris is known to be friends with O'Brien. It is possible if not probable that he was told to keep that quiet until deal made. If so, I'm 100% in agreement. Fans want to know things but we don't have the right to know them.
Good to know. But it was John McClain reporting.

& like you said. I was just pointing out it is possible for teams to be discussing trades without us ever knowing.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Hopefully We can say the same thing when the Texans make the trade for Trent Williams.

Last edited:
On Duke Johnson, Jr.:
* Under contract through 2021
* Due base salaries of $1.8M, $3.6M, $4.65M
* Since entering the NFL in 2015, he leads all RB with 2,170 receiving yards
* Third in RB receptions since 2015 with 235
* Career rushing average of 4.3 on 299 attempts

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) August 8, 2019
Solid addition to the backfield if we use him right.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1159479016270815232?s=20

Houston acquiring Duke Johnson is interesting given that they were far, far and away the team that involved RBs the least frequently in their passing game
Definitely something to keep an eye on. If OBrien is running Duke Johnson on inside dives I may just lose it entirely. There has to be premeditated philosophy change to take advantage of your talent. Absolutely will watch the RB evolution this year. Would be a steep price to pay for a 3rd down back and practice dummy, but would be ideal for a guy who you intentionally gameplan for outside running.

Hell of alot better than Alfred Blue and his 1.9 YPA.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
if you believe what the talking heads are saying, BoB wanting to use the rb's more in the passing game is exactly why they went after him.

It still comes down to that "v" word ya'll love hearing though. Duke adds flexibility to the running and passing game.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I'm ok with the trade. I think we gave up a little too much for a 2a
https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1159479016270815232?s=20

Definitely something to keep an eye on. If OBrien is running Duke Johnson on inside dives I may just lose it entirely. There has to be premeditated philosophy change to take advantage of your talent. Absolutely will watch the RB evolution this year. Would be a steep price to pay for a 3rd down back and practice dummy, but would be ideal for a guy who you intentionally gameplan for outside running.

Hell of alot better than Alfred Blue and his 1.9 YPA.

I hope this means OB will start to call smarter plays based on his personnel. Coutee, Miller, and now DJ are guys who can work in the middle of the field if they are given space to do so.

If OB doesn't spread the field to take advantage of these guys' abilities then I don't think I'll be able to take it.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I'm ok with the trade. I think we gave up a little too much for a 2a

I hope this means OB will start to call smarter plays based on his personnel. Coutee, Miller, and now DJ are guys who can work in the middle of the field if they are given space to do so.

If OB doesn't spread the field to take advantage of these guys' abilities then I don't think I'll be able to take it.
thats the concern. why go out and make awesome signings if the the philosophy is to blame? There must be a sign of compromise and growth on the part of the coaches in order to succeed. Gone are the days of "my way or else" .. modify and adapt! Deep diving into the pickup and I can convince myself that he would be great as an additional safety valve for Deshaun on passing downs. He seems small to block LBs, so I would avoid him as a designated blitz blocker and solely have him for offensive firepower almost identical to what Darren Sproles has done most of his career.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1159484512482594817?s=20

Houston, your new RB: Duke Johnson ranks #2 in yards/play (5.8) #3 in explosiveness #7 in success rate (52%) of 62 RBs on early down rushes+targets past 3 yrs. Playing the NFL's most-injury prone position last 4 yrs, he: -NEVER missed a game -Listed as questionable only 2x

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The Duke Johnson trade was done by #Browns GM John Dorsey and #Texans coach Bill O’Brien, I’m told. Without a GM, Houston has several qualified personnel people assuming different roles, but it was O’Brien on the phone with Dorsey.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 8, 2019
Interesting. Maybe OB can get on the phone and get us a good HC next.

:kitten:

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'm on board with this because you give Watson another lethal weapon to work with. You don't have to run Miller into the ground. We can actually keep Watson upright with the quick dink and donk offense. Duke can run between the tackles. You can line him up in the slot.

The possibilities are there for O'Brien's picking. Hopefully he actually utilize this gift.

Last edited:

Dejaview

All Pro
Hmmmm. Thought this trade was good for a number of reasons, but from most posts in this thread it has only maddened the whiners into discombobulation trying to find something negative. I’ve said it soooooo many times, this organization began its turnaround last year and changes are being made with a singular purpose. The rebuild is coming along.

Mangler

Toro de España
Hmmmm. Thought this trade was good for a number of reasons, but from most posts in this thread it has only maddened the whiners into discombobulation trying to find something negative. I’ve said it soooooo many times, this organization began its turnaround last year and changes are being made with a singular purpose. The rebuild is coming along.
This was a good move. Why they b1tch and complain about it possibly being a 3rd rounder is beyond me. It ain’t like we have this track record of finding all these diamonds in the rough anywhere past the 2nd round. Well, Gaine did but he’s gone. Looking forward to seeing Duke light it up for us!

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Do you see the irony in how much you whine about whining?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Why is analyzing and critiquing a trade a bad thing?

Is bill OBrien like Morey and Lunhow? Has he earned the benefit of the doubt?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
John Harris on 610 right now saying they should NOT throw the ball to the RBs

:kubepalm:

Then why did we give up a 3rd round pick for an RB who excels receiving?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
John Harris on 610 right now saying they should NOT throw the ball to the RBs

:kubepalm:

Then why did we give up a 3rd round pick for an RB who excels receiving?
I liked John Harris much more when he was an independent

Dejaview

All Pro
This was a good move. Why they b1tch and complain about it possibly being a 3rd rounder is beyond me. It ain’t like we have this track record of finding all these diamonds in the rough anywhere past the 2nd round. Well, Gaine did but he’s gone. Looking forward to seeing Duke light it up for us!
Yeah, crying now about a probable third rounder (more than likely we will have three next year). But just look at the totally idiotic trade proposals for Williams. Also I thought the Texans current FO were totally incapable of making a trade. In fact, who would a GM even call in our FO, lolol. Drafting a RB can be dicey but this trade took some heartburn out since DJ has NFL experience but is still young.

Dejaview

All Pro
Do you see the irony in how much you whine about whining?
You are a mod. How many pages in every thread are derailed by one or two line whines saying the same thing over and over and over. It adds nothing to the discussions and in facts makes it more difficult to wade through the crap to find a point. My mail gets crammed with this crap despite my efforts to NOT receive alerts.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
You are a mod. How many pages in every thread are derailed by one or two line whines saying the same thing over and over and over. It adds nothing to the discussions and in facts makes it more difficult to wade through the crap to find a point. My mail gets crammed with this crap despite my efforts to NOT receive alerts.
I NEVER get a email from TTMB... check your settings