Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

badboy

Hall of Fame
Thoughts on if he would consider Texans? After not getting the Broncos this article states he is interested in buying another professional team. Would Janice McNair considered selling the team? I am not sure that Cal is vested in being a team owner going forward. $5 billion could be enticing. Houston may not have the Sizzle that Denver has however 2 first-round picks in the next two drafts plus an interesting quarterback on a rookie contract could be a huge selling point.
Houston market should get someone's attention.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Thoughts on if he would consider Texans? After not getting the Broncos this article states he is interested in buying another professional team. Would Janice McNair considered selling the team? I am not sure that Cal is vested in being a team owner going forward. $5 billion could be enticing. Houston may not have the Sizzle that Denver has however 2 first-round picks in the next two drafts plus an interesting quarterback on a rookie contract could be a huge selling point.
Houston market should get someone's attention.
The pending lawsuit would probably not be attractive to Harris at this time.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They suck for different reasons. 1 cant block without holding and the other cant block even if he tries to hold.
When Pharoah got here he was known as a blocker. He wasn't prone to penalty before he got here & he wasn't prone to penalty the 1st year in Houston.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
When Pharoah got here he was known as a blocker. He wasn't prone to penalty before he got here & he wasn't prone to penalty the 1st year in Houston.
When Pharaoh got here he was a practice squad player on his third team in as many seasons. His flaws became more noticeable here because this is his only NFL stop where he has received meaningful playing time.

Reactions: JB

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
They suck for different reasons. 1 cant block without holding and the other cant block even if he tries to hold.
Akins came into the league as an older rookie having played pro baseball prior to college. His role was supposed to be seam stretching TE but his ceiling was going to always be capped due to his size/age.

I remember wanting Ian Thomas in that slot but he was a Y TE that can block and the Texans wanted something different.

Thomas hasn’t exactly lit the NFL on fire but he did just earned a second contract with the team that drafted him at 3 years 16.5 million 8 million guaranteed while Akins is a camp body for Giants at 1 year 1.085 million 50k guaranteed.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When Pharaoh got here he was a practice squad player on his third team in as many seasons. His flaws became more noticeable here because this is his only NFL stop where he has received meaningful playing time.
I didn't notice those flaws his first year here. I was impressed with his blocking, surprised by his catching, & thrilled with his run after the catch

I'm wondering if there was a difference in what they asked him to do from year to year. Like maybe he was lined up tight year one, & spread out year two, where blocking techniques are different. & the coaches weren't very good (which I want to believe) & Pharoah wasn't adept at learning, i.e. may get better, or Pep would have him do what he's proven he can do & not what he's shown he cannot.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I didn't notice those flaws his first year here. I was impressed with his blocking, surprised by his catching, & thrilled with his run after the catch

I'm wondering if there was a difference in what they asked him to do from year to year. Like maybe he was lined up tight year one, & spread out year two, where blocking techniques are different. & the coaches weren't very good (which I want to believe) & Pharoah wasn't adept at learning, i.e. may get better, or Pep would have him do what he's proven he can do & not what he's shown he cannot.
I thought Kelly's offense was the BOB offense, so this shouldn't have become an issue.

I guess the other 3 teams that let him go disagree with you.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Do you trust him or do you consider him to be a bottom feeder at the TE position?
I think he's a talented player who so far has learned how to be a pro. His first year here he looked like an UDFA who made the most of his opportunity. He appeared to have some play making ability in addition to being a good blocker.

I'm not saying we should not find a replacement. I'd rather see Pharoah taking snaps than Auclair until we find that replacement.

& I'm tired of seeing guys like Brown not being able to take the next step, from a coaching aspect.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think he's a talented player who so far has learned how to be a pro. His first year here he looked like an UDFA who made the most of his opportunity. He appeared to have some play making ability in addition to being a good blocker.

I'm not saying we should not find a replacement. I'd rather see Pharoah taking snaps than Auclair until we find that replacement.

& I'm tired of seeing guys like Brown not being able to take the next step, from a coaching aspect.
I would rather have a guy like Auclair take up snaps and be a solid blocker rather than see a penalty magnet like Brown get those snaps. BTW, if you had to rank NFL TE's where would you rank Brown?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I thought Kelly's offense was the BOB offense, so this shouldn't have become an issue.
When he came here he was a "blocking" TE who would catch a pass every now & then. Which was good because it keeps the other team honest.

Last season he was incorporated more in the passing game, split out or offset more often than not.

Why did the Texans bring in Auclair & move Brown to the move TE?

Why not leave Brown where he was & bring in a move TE, in addition to drafting Jordan?

It would be like moving Tavierre Thomas outside after showing proficiency in the slot.

I guess the other 3 teams that let him go disagree with you.
Pretty much the way the Browns disagree with me about Tavierre Thomas

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Ahead of Auclair
When he came here he was a "blocking" TE who would catch a pass every now & then. Which was good because it keeps the other team honest.

Last season he was incorporated more in the passing game, split out or offset more often than not.

Why did the Texans bring in Auclair & move Brown to the move TE?

Why not leave Brown where he was & bring in a move TE, in addition to drafting Jordan?

They did leave him there and when he sucked they started playing Auclair more. Akins/Jordan were the move TE's.

It would be like moving Tavierre Thomas outside after showing proficiency in the slot.

Pretty much the way the Browns disagree with me about Tavierre Thomas

If you're counting on Brown becoming like Thomas, you're going to be disappointed. Thomas is an outlier.

You didn't answer the question I asked.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't understand what you're talking about. You lost me. Thomas?

I didn't answer many of the questions you've asked. Trying to stay out of the rabbit hole
Traviere Thomas

What rabbit hole, I just asked for your opinion and you refuse to answer the question. I think we all know why.

Asking for an opinion isn't a rabbit hole. Nice try at evading the question though.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Traviere Thomas
Gotcha... like I said, Pharoah looked like a really good blocking TE, who can catch the ball & make a big play from time to time. He looked like that, because that's what he did his first season here.

They should have left him there, doing what he's shown to be good at.

But they didn't. They didn't use him as the blocking TE. I don't remember if that was because Akins got hurt. I don't know why Brevan Jordan didn't play until week 7. But I think the team would have been better served had they left Pharoah as the Y TE & bring Brevon in as the move TE.

Do you think there is a difference blocking when lined up tight to the tackles as opposed to lined up split out, or offset from the tackle?

What did you think of Pharoah Brown at the end of 2020?

I don't know that his role changed, I don't know that he was lined up differently. Those are questions I'm asking.

I don't think the Texans really wanted him back & I doubt he makes it past training camp.

My question is why.

Did "TD Pharoah Brown" get to his head after the 2020 season & he mailed it in in 2021? Am I wrong... did he not do well in 2020? I think he was a better blocking TE than Auclair was in 2021... but the whole line was worse, imo, so it's hard to say.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Gotcha... like I said, Pharoah looked like a really good blocking TE, who can catch the ball & make a big play from time to time. He looked like that, because that's what he did his first season here.

But they didn't. They didn't use him as the blocking TE. I don't remember if that was because Akins got hurt. I don't know why Brevan Jordan didn't play until week 7. But I think the team would have been better served had they left Pharoah as the Y TE & bring Brevon in as the move TE.

Do you think there is a difference blocking when lined up tight to the tackles as opposed to lined up split out, or offset from the tackle?

I don't know that his role changed, I don't know that he was lined up differently. Those are questions I'm asking.

I don't think the Texans really wanted him back & I doubt he makes it past training camp.

My question is why.

Did "TD Pharoah Brown" get to his head after the 2020 season & he mailed it in in 2021? Am I wrong... did he not do well in 2020? I think he was a better blocking TE than Auclair was in 2021... but the whole line was worse, imo, so it's hard to say.
IMO Pharaoh and offensive line stepped back due to playing outside their strengths. We've been informed at least for Howard that has ceased. Time will tell. If Tunsil goes out again
Howard will go to LT.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

My question is why.

He sucked and is a penalty magnet. Maybe he was playing hurt.

I wouldn't have brought him back and would've used the money/plus on a guy like O.J. Howard or Ross Dwelley. These guys make far fewer mistakes. 2020 has proven to be an aberration.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Both Pharoah Brown and Darren Fells came to the Texans with reputations as blockers who contribute little to the passing game. Yet, after joining the Texans both had career years in receiving yards and/or TDs.

I was pleasantly surprised with their offensive production and disappointed that with a bad OL needing help, they were two of the worst blockers on the team. I don't know if it was the increased playing time, injuries or how they were used but the more snaps they got, the worst they played.

As a Texans fan, I should have known better than to think we picked up a couple of FA that would be steals and pleasant surprises.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Both Pharoah Brown and Darren Fells came to the Texans with reputations as blockers who contribute little to the passing game. Yet, after joining the Texans both had career years in receiving yards and/or TDs.

I was pleasantly surprised with their offensive production and disappointed that with a bad OL needing help, they were two of the worst blockers on the team. I don't know if it was the increased playing time, injuries or how they were used but the more snaps they got, the worst they played.

As a Texans fan, I should have known better than to think we picked up a couple of FA that would be steals and pleasant surprises.
Usually marginal guys play worse the more they play. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next draft. (Mayer/LaPorta)

The offense won't be all it can be until they get this position fixed. Hopefully Lovie can find his next Olsen.

It's not a coincidence that Gronk/Kelce have jewelry.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If our coaches cannot take average players and make them better or good players and make them much better than good then we don't need those coaches in my opinion. We keep getting guys tagged as high ceiling players but never reach that ceiling.
I agree. If you found a capable roll player... make him a roll player. Been looking for a good blocking TE forever. Pharoah was a good blocking TE in 2021.

Make him do it again a 2nd year before putting him in a totally different role

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If our coaches cannot take average players and make them better or good players and make them much better than good then we don't need those coaches in my opinion. We keep getting guys tagged as high ceiling players but never reach that ceiling.
The talent has to be there.

It's why you take chances on talented but troubled guys and injured guys in the later rds. The guys that are most likely to improve alot are the small school guys and they're usually discounted by a rd or 2 because it usually takes them awhile to develop. See:Marpett/Leonard/Cappa etc....

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
The Browns trading for Deshaun almost makes me forget about the what Texans gave up for Tunsil and what the Texans got for Hopkins.

Almost. It definitely makes it sting less.

The Browns continue to do favors. The gift that keeps on giving.
Watching it hit the fan now makes me think how fortunate we were.
I just hope there are no repercussions for Texans.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Browns trading for Deshaun almost makes me forget about the what Texans gave up for Tunsil and what the Texans got for Hopkins.

Almost. It definitely makes it sting less.

The Browns continue to do favors. The gift that keeps on giving.
What players that were drafted with the picks that were traded for Tunsil are true difference makers? Waddle is a potentially high level player. Holland is solid.

Taking out the trash is sometimes a painful thing to do. You just can't seem to get the stench out of your nose.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
What players that were drafted with the picks that were traded for Tunsil are true difference makers?
It's not necessary the players the Dolphins took. It's what could have been done with the picks. But it's really crying over spilt milk. The decision to trade a perfectly good LT created a hole that had to be filled at the time. It was just a time where every move the Texans made became the wrong move. You don't get in the mess the Texans are in by making a couple of wrong moves.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
As fans we must remember that even several good moves may not get us out of this mess for some time
It will have to be a reversal, where everything the Texans touch turns to gold.

Wake me up when that happens. Until then, I'll continue to dream.