Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Having vets on a rebuilding team is a sound strategy.
28? The most in the league? That's about as unsound as it gets. Caserio has never been in a rebuild. He still operates as if here were choosing personnel for a playoff team. Two damn near middle aged pass rushers? A lot of these old farts need to be dumped before the season starts.

28? The most in the league? That's about as unsound as it gets. Caserio has never been in a rebuild. He still operates as if here were choosing personnel for a playoff team. Two damn near middle aged pass rushers? A lot of these old farts need to be dumped before the season starts.
They added possibly 6 new starters through the draft, who knows, maybe even 7 and a couple of fairly young Fa's in Stewart/Cann/DE/ Cashman in a trade. Put them together with Mills/Collins/Lopez/Jordan etc... and I would say they've got 13-15 potential young starters. The fact that Caserio did this without rd 1-2 picks his 1st yr bodes well for the future. He will be adding more young guys through the draft and particularly fa after the cap is cleaned next yr and for that matter the next season after that as well. I mean they're loaded with draft picks for the next couple of years, so getting younger will be inevitable.

Right now signing the likes of Hughes/Addison/Re-signing Kirksey is what's driving the age up and they've signed a young DE they hope can stay healthy and beat out the vets. Caserio drafted Harris to eventually take over for Kirksey etc...

What more do you want? Caserio has done well in changing the makeup of the roster BOB left for him and I expect the change to continue as more high draft picks are brought in over the next couple of years.

Just gotta hit on Mills.

a couple of fairly young Fa's in Stewart/Cann/DE/ Cashman in a trade. Put them together with Mills/Collins/Lopez/Jordan etc... and I would say they've got 13-15 potential young starters.

Blacklock & Greenard are also here.

But I do agree. Caserio is not rebuilding the way it's usually done, which leads to the back to back 4 win seasons... He's doing it another way, which just happened to lead to back to back 4 win seasons.

I don't like the idea of bringing in a bunch of UDFAs & seeing what shakes out. I'm glad to get guys like Auclair, Green, KGH, Tavierre Thomas, Desmond King, & Okoronkwo

Those are the guys you hope your UDFAs turn into.

Sign younger players and acquire more draft choices. The same thing I've been saying since Caserio got here.

I just pointed out where they've added 6 possible starters out of one draft and 2-3 fairly young starters out of fa. How many starters are you looking for out of 1 draft? By my court that's 9 possible starters. Say 3 of them don't work out, that's still 6 possible starters out of 1 draft. That's a successful draft. IMHO.

Blacklock & Greenard are also here.

But I do agree. Caserio is not rebuilding the way it's usually done, which leads to the back to back 4 win seasons... He's doing it another way, which just happened to lead to back to back 4 win seasons.

I don't like the idea of bringing in a bunch of UDFAs & seeing what shakes out. I'm glad to get guys like Auclair, Green, KGH, Tavierre Thomas, Desmond King, & Okoronkwo

Those are the guys you hope your UDFAs turn into.

Caserios way only lead to one 4 win season and that was a result of having to cleanup BOB's mess.

Sign younger players and acquire more draft choices. The same thing I've been saying since Caserio got here.
To be able to sign the younger FA's, they have to want to come to here. Maybe they will in a few years, but for now, top young FA's don't want to go to a team like Houston. When we start winning, and show that we can win consistently, they will start coming.

I liked this part.

It seems more likely that the fourth-round rookie from Florida may develop as the Texans’ feature back by the end of the year. If Mills is able to steadily progress, and Cooks is able to stay consistent, the Texans’ offense may have three pieces that move the football and score points.

I think the Texans will score between 20 and 22 points per game in 2022. Looking at last year stats, that would put them between 18 and 22 in points scored. I'm a big believer in the Mack/Pierce combo. I look for Mack to get back to 2019 form. Of Mack, consider this from Cynthia Frelund:

OK, so, it’s not ideal, for the purposes of this list, that Mack has played in just seven games over the past two seasons, and for a different team, at that — but my models love this fit and the upside. The last time Mack had a full season’s worth of workload, in 2019, he ran for 1,091 yards, the 10th most among running backs in the NFL that season. Computer vision shows that the ex-Colt’s change-of-direction speed ranked seventh-highest in the NFL that season. NGS [Next Gen Stats] shows he exceeded 15 miles per hour on 51 runs in 2019, which ranked fourth among RBs. NFL.com: Marlon Mack is Texans’ most under appreciated player (usatoday.com)

I'm really excited about this backfield. A 26 year old veteran who has shown he can be productive when healthy (and he is healthy) and a young rookie looking to prove he was extremely undervalued in the draft.

I think the Texans will score between 20 and 22 points per game in 2022. Looking at last year stats, that would put them between 18 and 22 in points scored. I'm a big believer in the Mack/Pierce combo. I look for Mack to get back to 2019 form. Of Mack, consider this from Cynthia Frelund:

OK, so, it’s not ideal, for the purposes of this list, that Mack has played in just seven games over the past two seasons, and for a different team, at that — but my models love this fit and the upside. The last time Mack had a full season’s worth of workload, in 2019, he ran for 1,091 yards, the 10th most among running backs in the NFL that season. Computer vision shows that the ex-Colt’s change-of-direction speed ranked seventh-highest in the NFL that season. NGS [Next Gen Stats] shows he exceeded 15 miles per hour on 51 runs in 2019, which ranked fourth among RBs. NFL.com: Marlon Mack is Texans’ most under appreciated player (usatoday.com)

I'm really excited about this backfield. A 26 year old veteran who has shown he can be productive when healthy (and he is healthy) and a young rookie looking to prove he was extremely undervalued in the draft.
If our run game can be around middle of the pack and I think it will be, we will smear egg over a lot of faces and win us more games than currently predicted by the eggspurts.

Should we trade Tunsil?
Some good points in the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Extensive discussion on my thread what is the value of laremy tunsil. If he is traded before June 1st of this year the Texans have to eat 33 + million dollars of his contract. I am not saying a trade cannot be done but it would have to be a tremendous offer in my opinion. I am not a proponent of trading him.

Edit: to clarify an incorrect statement in article, LT was not given more $ in off season. His contract for this season was adjusted giving him more cash immediately although his original base was fully guaranteed. This allowed more cap space but created the huge dead money hit if traded.

Last edited:
So if Caserio were to trade him what would be their near-term plan, like for the upcoming 2022 season at LT ?
That could depend on the ingredients of a trade. For example a left tackle could be coming back perhaps from someone who has been injured or not as productive as expected.

What are folks opinions of the weakest areas on the Texans? TEs? D-line? O-line?

The Texans have a lot of holes to fill no matter what.

What are folks opinions of the weakest areas on the Texans? TEs? D-line? O-line?

Better question, or at least one with a much less lengthy answer would be what are the Texans strongest areas? Not real sure there’s an answer for that.

Question for you Texans savvy peeps - who are our TEs?
Yeah, I know who they are, but the point is, none of them are gonna strike fear in opposing Ds.
This is a glaring weakness and one I hope NC can do something about before season starts.

TE is the biggest weakness on the team imo. I would have loved it if the Texans took Mcbride instead of Metchie with that trade up to 44. But the team had Metchie higher and/or prioritized slot WR over TE.

The position groups are basically set heading into training camp. Sure there may be a surprise roster cut and Texans put in a waiver claim to fill out back end of roster but they aren’t gonna have an opportunity to add a blue chip player at TE until next offseason.

Better question, or at least one with a much less lengthy answer would be what are the Texans strongest areas? Not real sure there’s an answer for that.

Last year at this time I thought RB was the strongest position group on the team.

Hopefully my prediction that CB is the strongest group this season doesn’t prove to be as horribly wrong.

Last year at this time I thought RB was the strongest position group on the team.

Hopefully my prediction that CB is the strongest group this season doesn’t prove to be as horribly wrong.

Yep. I thought last year’s RB room was pretty decent as well. We all know the disaster that turned out to be. Adding Mack and Pierce sounds good, but we’re just gonna have to see how it unfolds.

To me it's easily TE.
Although, I think I'm in the minority who thinks DL is actually in decent shape.
Not a single star among the DL group but I see a group of guys who will all give a consistent and solid performance.

Not a single star among the DL group but I see a group of guys who will all give a consistent and solid performance.

If that's true, along with a (supposedly) improved secondary, we shouldn't be ranking last again in defense this year. Which would be a very pleasant change.

Just hope that Lovie Smith not just can coach for them as players but as fine human beings. Cause that is what Smith represents in all of football that you want.

Back