Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Plus, Beasley brings a anti-vax stance that is not in line with club policy. Don't need that attitude on the team. He's already got into it with new Texan DE Jerry Hughes.
I hope they got past it since they're teammates again.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
nah I feel Cooks, Conley and Collins can handle duties with Chris Moore getting a few more looks. His 227 yards @ 10+ and two TDs were interesting. Add the TEs and some plays called for RBs and Metchie has time to heal. I do not see reducing cap space for a WR who is short, mediocre and just turned 33.
While I can see your logic.

Everywhere Beasley's gone his QB has been successful and he's been a comforting target for them. If I couldn't upgrade the TE position (Doubtful) then I certainly wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Beasley.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Agree to disagree. Josh Allen certainly made use of him as a safety blanket. Davis Mills would do the same. If we’re talking about fielding the most competitive football team and there is a player at a position of need that could help do that then I say go get him. I think Beasley falls into that category as well as Lovie’s love of adding Texas natives this offseason.

I really liked how Lovie/Caserio overloaded at DE and CB this offseason because there was a glaring weakness. I wouldn’t mind seeing the offense get the same treatment when cap space is available to do it.
I didn't see this post before I posted my thoughts.

You speak the truth way better than I ever could.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hard pass. Don't waste cap space or PT on a 33 year-old slot receiver that can no longer separate. Plus, Beasley brings a anti-vax stance that is not in line with club policy. Don't need that attitude on the team. He's already got into it with new Texan DE Jerry Hughes.
Did Hughes or Addison say something about Beasley's anti vax stance?

badboy

Hall of Fame
It is okay that some think that Lovie Smith's goal is to make the Texans competitive this year. However I think I am correct that his goal is to make the foundational young players better for the future. Wins will be welcomed but not the primary as they will be in 2023.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Personally, I think the Lovie and the players will enter every game with the mindset of putting a “W” in the column. If the team isn’t playing for the win, then how do the foundational players separate themselves from the rest of the warm bodies? And, how do the warm bodies push themselves to become foundational players? Winning has to be the first priority each and every day a player puts that uniform on.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Personally, I think the Lovie and the players will enter every game with the mindset of putting a “W” in the column. If the team isn’t playing for the win, then how do the foundational players separate themselves from the rest of the warm bodies? And, how do the warm bodies push themselves to become foundational player status? Winning has to be the first priority each and every day a player puts that uniform on.
This, plus playing for the love of the game.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It is okay that some think that Lovie Smith's goal is to make the Texans competitive this year.
It was okay to think that last season with Culley. Everyone wants the players to go as hard and smart as they can. Compete every play, every game. Still, this is more about the process than the results.
Personally, I think the Lovie and the players will enter every game with the mindset of putting a “W” in the column. If the team isn’t playing for the win, then how do the foundational players separate themselves from the rest of the warm bodies?
We're talking two different things. Guys competing as hard as they can, yes. That should happen. The organization giving snaps to old vets over young players that need the experience to improve for future, no. No way. Two separate ideas that seem to get conflated.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
It was okay to think that last season with Culley. Everyone wants the players to go as hard and smart as they can. Compete every play, every game. Still, this is more about the process than the results.

We're talking two different things. Guys competing as hard as they can, yes. That should happen. The organization giving snaps to old vets over young players that need the experience to improve for future, no. No way. Two separate ideas that seem to get conflated.
I want a quality slot WR. Some think that if Metchie gets rushed into the lineup he will be reinjured and/or ineffective. Beasley would allow him the time to fully recover and hit the ground running when he is ready. If he beats out Beasley mid season when he is fully healthy then great, that is what competition is all about.

But if he can’t beat out Beasley then I don’t care where he is drafted. I want the better player playing. The team said they will not rush Metchie, add some viable competition to the roster so they wont be forced to rush him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

The rookies played quite a bit last season and I suspect that will be the case again this season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The organization giving snaps to old vets over young players that need the experience to improve for future, no. No way.
I agree with your premise. It’s about the process, it’s about the future. At the same time I’d rather a guy play behind a Cole Beasley, if he’s not better than a Cole Beasley.

If Brevin Jordan is not “better” than Pharoah Brown then that’s what he needs to be working on & not messing up meaningful snaps for the other 10 players on the field

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
3 will impress: TE Jordan, RB Marlon Mack and edge Greenard.

Sigh…

I found the original article on torotimes. Is the like fanside were people with real jobs act like local sports writers? If so, kudos to dude for presenting Texans “news” in a readable format. If not, & this guy is a paid professional, wtf??

Brevin Jordan played in 9 games & started 2. He averaged 8.9 ypc.

Did this guy look at any film to form an opinion of why that was the case? Has he spoken to Brevin, his coaches? Has The “new” OC said anything to lead him to believe Jordan will produce better in 2022? Did he present any information in his article to suggest he did anything other than look up box scores?

Sure, Marlon Mack could impress. This guy does a better job of setting expectations using the same “data sources”. I want to be excited about Mack, but the torotimes article doesn’t provide any reason he’ll be more productive than Royce Freeman, who is also 26 years old, other than the Texans don’t have Jonathan Taylor on the roster.

Then more box score koolaid projections about Greenard. I’d like to know how many DEs the Texans plan on keeping on the roster & how the rotation is going to look. Greenard might stay healthy & play more than 12 games, but he might not get more snaps.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Sigh…

I found the original article on torotimes. Is the like fanside were people with real jobs act like local sports writers? If so, kudos to dude for presenting Texans “news” in a readable format. If not, & this guy is a paid professional, wtf??

Did this guy look at any film to form an opinion of why that was the case? Has he spoken to Brevin, his coaches? Has The “new” OC said anything to lead him to believe Jordan will produce better in 2022? Did he present any information in his article to suggest he did anything other than look up box scores?

Sure, Marlon Mack could impress. This guy does a better job of setting expectations using the same “data sources”. I want to be excited about Mack, but the torotimes article doesn’t provide any reason he’ll be more productive than Royce Freeman, who is also 26 years old, other than the Texans don’t have Jonathan Taylor on the roster.

Then more box score koolaid projections about Greenard. I’d like to know how many DEs the Texans plan on keeping on the roster & how the rotation is going to look. Greenard might stay healthy & play more than 12 games, but he might not get more snaps.
My understanding is they ask anybody who wants to report on a team to send them a "resume" and are now "hiring". Sort of like Bleacher Report I think

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Sigh…

I wrote a couple articles for them a few years ago. Basically its free experience. Big fans of teams can write an article and their “lead writer” will give writing tips on your article and you get published on a website and gain experience. Then if you are consistent and want to could theoretically develop a following on an established website.

Here are my articles. They are a bit dated though haha

badboy

Hall of Fame
I wrote a couple articles for them a few years ago. Basically its free experience. Big fans of teams can write an article and their “lead writer” will give writing tips on your article and you get published on a website and gain experience. Then if you are consistent and want to could theoretically develop a following on an established website.

Here are my articles. They are a bit dated though haha

You are Chad Martin? I read those articles!

vtech9

All Pro
I agree with your premise. It’s about the process, it’s about the future. At the same time I’d rather a guy play behind a Cole Beasley, if he’s not better than a Cole Beasley.

If Brevin Jordan is not “better” than Pharoah Brown then that’s what he needs to be working on & not messing up meaningful snaps for the other 10 players on the field
I think @Lucky is more worried about someone joining the team that doesn't believe all of the Covid propoganda. IMO, Beasley is a veteran, and if he can make us better by either filling the slot role until one of the young bucks takes over, or fill a back-up role while helping to teach the young bucks how to be pros, I'm all for it. I like having a coach on the field.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I think @Lucky is more worried about someone joining the team that doesn't believe all of the Covid propoganda. IMO, Beasley is a veteran, and if he can make us better by either filling the slot role until one of the young bucks takes over, or fill a back-up role while helping to teach the young bucks how to be pros, I'm all for it. I like having a coach on the field.
I would like Beasley also. However, any player willing to have the team have to forfeit games is putting himself above the needs of the team. Is that something you really want?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I would like Beasley also. However, any player willing to have the team have to forfeit games is putting himself above the needs of the team. Is that something you really want?
How does that work? The forfeit… do teams forfeit if the players aren’t vaccinated?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
How does that work? The forfeit… do teams forfeit if the players aren’t vaccinated?
From what I understand, if the player has tested positive for a game he played in, the team will have to forfeit. I don't remember exact details but that was the rule they implemented back last year when the pandemic scare was still strong.

edit: this is what I was remembering:
The NFL on Thursday sent a very strong message to its teams and players: Get the vaccine.
Or else.
As teams begin reporting for training camp before the 2021 season, the NFL sent out a no-nonsense memo that was obtained by NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero. The biggest news from it was that if a team has a COVID-19 outbreak among unvaccinated players and a game cannot be rescheduled, that team is subject to forfeit the game. And if a game gets canceled because of COVID-19, none of the players from that game will get paid.

It’s clear the league is no longer playing around.
link

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
In this rare case yes,

Of course I dont trust the govt.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
From what I understand, if the player has tested positive for a game he played in, the team will have to forfeit. I don't remember exact details but that was the rule they implemented back last year when the pandemic scare was still strong.

edit: this is what I was remembering:

link

Risk is not near what it was, but a number of games did have to be rescheduled if you remember. But still, it's the team first
just funny when you think about how the NFL handled CTE. Covid in these athletes isn’t even on that level, but they’re not allowed to make that choice.

It’s ridiculous

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
...so vaccinated people aren't getting covid and don't spread the disease to others..

It isn't "team first", not in this case. It's your own personal choice and health first. If someone doesn't want to get vaccinated then I have no problem with their decision and would have no problem with Beasley playing here. Vaccinations don't stop people from catching covid and spreading covid to people. It's all just being politicized where the unvaccinated are made out to be lepers.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am still reviewing the following article and was prepared to say no to each one. However the very first one at player number 5 surprised me. Posting here for your thoughts.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I am still reviewing the following article and was prepared to say no to each one. However the very first one at player number 5 surprised me. Posting here for your thoughts.

Not against any moves to improve the roster.
The article makes salient points on each player mentioned.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Speculation, even if it's interesting, is still just throwing panties at the wall.

Christ, I'll be glad when it's August and we can at least see them on TV. Anyone expecting more than five or six wins this season will be disappointed though.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
...so vaccinated people aren't getting covid and don't spread the disease to others..

It isn't "team first", not in this case. It's your own personal choice and health first. If someone doesn't want to get vaccinated then I have no problem with their decision and would have no problem with Beasley playing here. Vaccinations don't stop people from catching covid and spreading covid people. It's all just being politicized where the unvaccinated are made out to be leopards
Regardless.

That was the rule for 2021. We don’t know how they’re going to do it in 2022.

Hopefully they’ll be more reasonable.

However, Beasley was not the only unvaccinated player in the league. I don’t think the Texans were 100%

remember Aaron Rodgers?

Luckily the league was able to move games around to fit into the 18 week season & no one had to forfeit.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Good article in Fansided suggesting adding one more OT makes sense.
Riley Reiff is still available and would be our best swing tackle and backup by far and we would not lose much if Tunsil or Howard were to miss time. Texans still have $9m left and could sign him to a one year deal.
Thoughts?
Concur….Reiff could be a solid pickup on a 1 year contract.