Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Texans fans who thought this season was going to be anything more than the first season of a full rebuild should keep plenty of boxes of Kleenex on hand…
It’s ok, no Kleenex needed for me. I wasn’t expecting our rookie QB to be starting from game 3.

I was not expecting our run game to be so ineffective.

I was not expecting Caserio’s OL gambles to go 0-3; whatever is happening with Taylor, Cannon’s back, & Britt’s knee.

You can only play the hand you’re dealt. & roll with the punches.

It’s ok, no Kleenex needed for me. I wasn’t expecting our rookie QB to be starting from game 3.

I was not expecting our run game to be so ineffective.

I was not expecting Caserio’s OL gambles to go 0-3; whatever is happening with Taylor, Cannon’s back, & Britt’s knee.

You can only play the hand you’re dealt. & roll with the punches.

Remember this offseason when it was generally accepted that the OL and running backs would be the strength of this team.

Now 6 games in, very likely that the biggest weakness on this team is OL and running backs. :(

Remember this offseason when it was generally accepted that the OL and running backs would be the strength of this team.

Now 6 games in, very likely that the biggest weakness on this team is OL and running backs. :(
Supports the theory that Nick Caserio was trying to convince the McNairs that he was bringing in reputable players rather than just dumping the season.

Continuing to take out the BOB trash.

Now that Caserio has admitted signing Roberts was a mistake, I guess Lindsay will have a new role that he's better suited for, KR/PR.
If Caserio is continuing to take out BOB's trash why in the hell did he restructure Mercilus contract in March. The truth of the matter is Caserio did not take out the trash, he added $7MM in new dead money trash in 2022 instead. Sorry this is another major Caserio FUBAR. The list is long and getting longer.

Good news about Roberts is Caserio didn't trade for him, that has become all to common and expected. This was just a $2.5MM Titanic deck chair Nick threw overboard.

Last edited:
If Caserio is continuing to take out BOB's trash why in the hell did he restructure Mercilus contract in March. The truth of the matter is Caserio did not take out the trash, he added $7MM in new dead money trash in 2022 instead. Sorry this another major Caserio FUBAR. The list is now long.

Good news about Roberts is Caserio didn't trade for him, that has become all to common and expected. This was just a $2.5MM Titanic deck chair Nick threw overboard.

You do realize that this is going to be more than a 1 yr rebuild and after 2022 there should be plenty of cap room. Unless you think 1 The Texans are going to be playoff contenders in 2022. Or 2. The Texans are going to be major players in FA in 2022.

Neither are likely to happen. IMHO, So the cap space doesn't matter.

You do realize that this is going to be more than a 1 yr rebuild and after 2022 there should be plenty of cap room. Unless you think 1 The Texans are going to be playoff contenders in 2022. Or 2. The Texans are going to be major players in FA in 2022.

Neither are likely to happen. IMHO, So the cap space doesn't matter.
What I do know is a GM who knew what they were doing would have already taken out all of the trash. This hiring a HC for a year or two, behaving like a bull in a china shop, cutting players left and right creating $25MM in dead money, not realizing you've created a situation where you don't have enough money to sign a full roster, then having to resort to restructuring every contract that you can restructure in order to have enough money to sign a full roster, resulting in signing the over the hill gang for 1 year or two years, using 10 draft picks to draft 5 players, wasting even more draft picks to trade for a handful of players that you will cut only weeks or months later, then saying this behavior will not change, means one thing, THE HOUSTON TEXANS WILL BE EVEN WORSE OFF JAN 6TH, 2024 THAN THEY WERE JAN 6TH, 2021. Incompetence is very expensive. You know this. When you've dug yourself into a deep hole, it is best to stop digging. STOP DIGGING. Your only chance at redemption at this point is if Janice sells the team.

Time for you to come to your senses.

Last edited:
What I do know is a GM who knew what they were doing would have already taken out all of the trash. This hiring a HC for a year or two, behaving like a bull in a china shop, cutting players left and right creating $25MM in dead money, not realizing you've created a situation where you don't have enough money to sign a full roster, then having to resort to restructuring every contract that you can restructure in order to have enough money to sign a full roster, resulting in signing the over the hill gang for 1 year or two years, using 10 draft picks to draft 5 players, wasting even more draft picks to trade for a handful of players that you will cut only weeks or months later, then saying this behavior will not change, means one thing, THE HOUSTON TEXANS WILL BE EVEN WORSE OFF JAN 6TH, 2024 THAN THEY WERE JAN 6TH, 2021. Incompetence is very expensive. You know this. When you've dug yourself into a deep hole, it is best to stop digging. STOP DIGGING. Your only chance at redemption at this point is if Janice sells the team.

Time for you to come to your senses.

I agree with you about Janice selling the team.

The other stuff not so much. If the cap is in bad shape after the 2023 season then we can revisit this.

I agree with you about Janice selling the team.

The other stuff not so much. If the cap is in bad shape after the 2023 season then we can revisit this.
The fact that you think that $50MM in salary cap loss is no big deal and fail to understand just how far $50MM could go towards rebuilding a team tells us all we need to know.

Last edited:
Texans film room: Mental mistakes pile up in blowout loss to Colts
Brooks Kubena, Staff writer
Oct. 19, 2021Updated: Oct. 19, 2021 5:26 p.m.

INDIANAPOLIS — Welcome to Film Room, where we’ll break down significant portions from the Texans’ last football game. Have a seat. Set the phone aside. Let’s dive in.

Colts 31, Texans 3: How it happened

Search in secondary continues: A constant rotation of defensive backs signaled a problem that was not laid open and exposed until Carson Wentz and the Colts carved up a discombobulated Texans secondary with a series of wide-open throws that produced two touchdowns and several large gains.

Despite the defense forcing six interceptions in the first five games, which doubled the total in 2020, defensive coordinator Lovie Smith and his staff still were not pleased with the open throws and communication gaffes that were becoming too frequent.

The collective rhetoric foreshadowed a fifth different lineup against the Colts, which is exactly what happened.
“Everybody’s different,” safeties coach Greg Jackson said Thursday. “So, that’s why we’re trying to put guys at different positions, just to see what they can do and see who’s the best guys that can play together down after down. That’s the most important thing, and we haven’t found that yet.”

The Texans' game plan against the Colts called for plenty two-high safety looks — when two safeties split the field in two deep halves — with a built-in flexibility that enabled either safety to drop down closer to the line to play against run-heavy offensive packages.

The plan required two versatile safeties with keen instincts and strong communication to be successful, and Lonnie Johnson, who’d started in three straight games, had struggled on deep passes in starts against the Bills and Patriots. Johnson, a converted corner, had not yet played strong safety and didn’t have much experience playing against the run close to the line.

Terrence Brooks, an eight-year NFL veteran, started in place of Johnson opposite Justin Reid. But stopping the run was not Houston’s initial issue on defense. The Colts threw the ball on nine of their first 11 plays, and the receiver-heavy packages eventually broke through two-high looks that are structured to prevent deep passes.

Wentz thrived against Houston’s two-high configurations, and, although not knowing the exact zone and man assignments makes pinpointing the exact issue unclear, the bottom line remains that the Texans defense could not stop the pass even when they were organized to defend it.

Wentz vs. Texans coverage configurations
• Two-high safeties:
8 of 13, 195 yards, 2 TDs
• One-high safety: 3 of 7, 28 yards

“Prevent the big play” was even one of the three main points Texans coach David Culley delivered the team the night before the game. Instead, Culley said, the secondary repeatedly had players in the wrong place and not playing their correct keys.

“Those are mental mistakes,” Culley said. “Very frustrating. They’re very frustrating.”
On third and 3 at the Colts 49 (sequence shown below), Wentz dropped a first-quarter, 51-yard touchdown to wide receiver Parris Campbell against Houston’s two-high that gave Indy a 7-0 lead.

Campbell (red arrow) and Michael Pittman (yellow arrow) ran bisecting routes that forced Reid (circled blue) to pick up Pittman. Campbell ran vertical long enough to toy with the right side of the field, then curled left behind Reid toward the pylon. Brooks reacted too late and couldn’t catch up after Wentz threw the ball.

Whether or not Reid or Brooks were supposed to have additional help is uncertain. Slot corner Tavierre Thomas appears to be manned up on running back Jonathan Taylor from the beginning of the play, and cornerback Vernon Hargreaves drops to cover the flats. Regardless, it’s unlikely any coverage would’ve removed either or both safeties from deep responsibility.
1200x0.jpg
CBS
1200x0.jpg
CBS
1200x0.jpg
CBS
1200x0.jpg

THE REST OF THE STORY

David Johnson doesn’t get near enough credit for being terrible.

Until he’s cut, I can’t take anything Caserio does as a serious effort in making things right. He cut Mercilus, now do Johnson. Or at the very least take him off the active list. It’s beyond ridiculous at this point.
I called this out during the game. I seen a few cut back lanes but the backs would run straight into the pile or the design hole.

Point spreads from expansion Texans inaugural season vs. this year.
- Texans are underdogs
+ Texans favored

Dallas -8.5
San Diego -13.5
Indy -10.5
Philly -19
Buffalo -7
Cleveland -8.5
Jags -11
Cincy +2.5
Titans -9
Jags -6.5
Giants -5.5
Indy -11.5
Pittsburgh -14
Baltimore -3
Washington -6.5
Titans -9.5

Jags -3
Browns -13.5
Carolina -9
Buffalo -17.5
Patriots -8
Indy -10
Arizona -18
Rams -14 (early line)

Point spreads from expansion Texans inaugural season vs. this year.
- Texans are underdogs
+ Texans favored

Dallas -8.5 W 19-10
San Diego -13.5 L 3-24
Indy -10.5 L 3-23
Philly -19 L 17-35
Buffalo -7 L 24-31
Cleveland -8.5 L 17-34
Jags -11 W 21-19
Cincy +2.5 L 3-38
Titans -9 L 10-17
Jags -6.5 L 21-24