Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Running the 12 personnel wil help with this. I think Tunsil has a big game. The run game may not be as good this week. But as long as Ingram can convert 3rd and short at a reasonable percentage the Texans will be fine, as long as TT doesn't turn the ball over.

I'm really worried about how the secondary holds up, because I think the defense will have to play 8 in the box to stop the Browns run game. The Browns OL is really good.
I'll be honest. I don't see how we don't get killed in this game. The Browns are objectively significantly better than the Texans. They just lost to KC in a game they probably feel they should have won. We beat what might still be the worst team in the NFL with a rookie coach and a rookie QB in their first NFL game. Wouldn't surprise me if we lose by 3 TD's. And if we don't, or even somehow win, my respect to the coaching staff and the players.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'll be honest. I don't see how we don't get killed in this game. The Browns are objectively significantly better than the Texans. They just lost to KC in a game they probably feel they should have won. We beat what might still be the worst team in the NFL with a rookie coach and a rookie QB in their first NFL game. Wouldn't surprise me if we lose by 3 TD's. And if we don't, or even somehow win, my respect to the coaching staff and the players.
I'm just hoping they keep playing hard and limiting penalties. If they can do this and not turn the ball over I dont think they will win. (There's no way I see a team as good as the Browns starting the season 0-2) But I think it will be alot closer game than some think it will be.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Remember when we had a "good" team & we still lost to "bad" teams?

To me this game will tell us more about who the Browns are than who the Texans are.

Just like Sunday was more a testament to who the Jags are, than how "good" the Texans are.
So how do we find out who the Texans are?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So how do we find out who the Texans are?
The game last week was more about the Jags being the worst team in the league. This week's game will tell us if the Browns are paper tigers.

We know the Texans aren't the worst team in the league. We know the Texans aren't even pretending to be pretenders.

The Texans are a bad team. Period.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
The game last week was more about the Jags being the worst team in the league. This week's game will tell us if the Browns are paper tigers.

We know the Texans aren't the worst team in the league. We know the Texans aren't even pretending to be pretenders.

Completely agree that they are a bad team.

While I am happy with the win, it wasn't so much the win that made me happy as much as seeing a team that was prepared to play and the level of effort displayed. I can live with losses this year, lots of them in fact based on the rebuilding process, but I feel that those losses will come because of talent levels, not because of bad coaching and not being prepared to play.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Completely agree that they are a bad team.

While I am happy with the win, it wasn't so much the win that made me happy as much as seeing a team that was prepared to play and the level of effort displayed. I can live with losses this year, lots of them in fact based on the rebuilding process, but I feel that those losses will come because of talent levels, not because of bad coaching and not being prepared to play.
I would not call this team bad yet. I know it’s only been one game but this team may be better than expected.

I think they could be more of a spoiler type team. A team you can’t sleep on. A team that will steal the win if you aren’t prepared. A team others will look back and think to themselves they ruined our playoff seeding or chances. Texans aren’t going any where, but they could end up surprising people and actually being competitive in games.

That is better than I expected.

(I reserve the right to change my mind)

sandman

Brexit Advisor
I would not call this team bad yet. I know it’s only been one game but this team may be better than expected.

I think they could be more of a spoiler type team. A team you can’t sleep on. A team that will steal the win if you aren’t prepared. A team others will look back and think to themselves they ruined our playoff seeding or chances. Texans aren’t going any where, but they could end up surprising people and actually being competitive in games.

I could get behind them playing the spoiler role this year. At least for a few games. I don't want them stealing 6-7 wins and messing up their draft placement. :lol:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I would not call this team bad yet. I know it’s only been one game but this team may be better than expected
When I say they're a bad team I'm just saying no one thinks this team will make the playoffs, even though bad teams make the playoffs every year.

You either win a Super Bowl or you don't & the good teams make it to the AFCCG/NFCCG.

& I'm not counting the Texans out of the playoffs. My thing is if they're mathematically in, they have a chance.

I am counting them out of the AFCCG.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Well said. A spoiler team is still fun to watch when your expectations are based in the reality that the franchise is in a rebuild.

Because to be a spoiler team means that they remain hungry for wins, show a lot of fire and competitive spirit, and always has a chance to capitalize on another team's mistakes. Spoiler teams might not consistently beat other teams in head-to-head matches, but they can help teams beat themselves. And ultimately, players on the 2021 roster that are here in 2022 have something to build on.

It's the 2-14 teams that we've endured that drive fans crazy, because the only thing they tend to spoil is Texans fans' afternoons.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Well said. A spoiler team is still fun to watch when your expectations are based in the reality that the franchise is in a rebuild.

Because to be a spoiler team means that they remain hungry for wins, show a lot of fire and competitive spirit, and always has a chance to capitalize on another team's mistakes. Spoiler teams might not consistently beat other teams in head-to-head matches, but they can help teams beat themselves. And ultimately, players on the 2021 roster that are here in 2022 have something to build on.

It's the 2-14 teams that we've endured that drive fans crazy, because the only thing they tend to spoil is Texans fans' afternoons.
Agreed. Not to mention there is no guarantee your high first round pick will work out after a 2-14 season. You could get a draft where the top QB choices are Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater and Carr like the Texans did in 2014. Or you could be like the Bears and take Mitch Trubisky instead of Mahomes or WD40… or pull a Jags and take Fournette instead of one of those QBs.

Play to win… worry about the draft later.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

The 2-14 team in 2013 did fight hard though.
They lost 5 games by 3 or fewer and another 4 by (between 5-7).

If Foster only had stayed healthy (and Tate, too).

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Judging by how we overreacted after one game I can only imagine where the DawgPound is after a good season. Starting this season 0-2, they would definitely implode.
Who overreacted?

All I see are people excited OB is gone and the team is playing better than expected on most fronts.

The biggest change is people saying they may win 4-5 games other than 2-3 if they keep on playing like they are.

Is that an overreaction?

Or are Texans fans always supposed depressed and not excited about their team. The life long Eeyore?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Texans are catching the Browns at the best possible time….early (WK2) in the season. Texans are coming in with a little momentum and the Browns are tying to figure out how they let a sure win slip through their fingers. I didn’t lay claim to victory but if there was a chance…this might be the best time.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Texans are catching the Browns at the best possible time….early (WK2) in the season. Texans are coming in with a little momentum and the Browns are tying to figure out how they let a sure win slip through their fingers. I didn’t lay claim to victory but if there was a chance…this might be the best time.
Against a Browns team that wants to prove they’re elite?

I see the Browns coming out strong against us.

Would love to surprise them though.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The 2-14 team in 2013 did fight hard though.
They lost 5 games by 3 or fewer and another 4 by (between 5-7).

If Foster only had stayed healthy (and Tate, too).
It's not that they didn't play hard or were not talented, it's the massive disappointment for fans seeing a 12-4 team fall to 2-14 the next season. That kind of split-personality is what drives fans to drink more.

Texansballer74

The Marine

I think we were just all on the same page, everybody’s saying this, saying that,” Ingram said. “We don’t care what nobody say. We know that we got good players on this team we know that we got good players in this locker room, we know we have guys who’ve played ball over several years in the league and many different places and who have played it at the highest level. And we knew that if we just prepare and went out there and just do what we need to do, hold each other accountable, compete with each other and be the best version of ourselves, that would be fine.
“We don’t care what nobody say. It’s all about what we believe in this locker room, it’s all about what we believe in this building, and we believe we have a team that can be great, win games and be a championship-type team. That’s what we have all aspirations for. If you’re not playing this game to be a champion, if you’re not playing this game to be the best, if you’re not playing this game to win, then you’re in the wrong business. And that’s what we all believe and that what we’re all pushing for, that’s what we’re working for.”

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I'm not sure I'd use the term "Bad Team" with this bunch.

I don't think they are a very talented team .... but they are a very well coached team.

Yes , they are probably going to lose more often than not but that won't be for lack of effort or preparedness.

We've seen bad teams go 9-7 or better the past couple years. They never seemed prepared for the opponent and made stupid mistakes / penalties look routine .... They'd win on pure talent , then when they played a team equally talented get embarrassed ....

If this team wins 4 games , I'd call them overachievers .....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I don't think they are a very talented team .... but they are a very well coached team.

Yes , they are probably going to lose more often than not but that won't be for lack of effort or preparedness.

We've seen bad teams go 9-7 or better the past couple years. They never seemed prepared for the opponent and made stupid mistakes / penalties look routine .... They'd win on pure talent , then when they played a team equally talented get embarrassed ....

They've only got to get 3 more wins to achieve your criteria and they've got another game against the Jags.

Number19

Hall of Fame

It's been stated on this forum by some, unless you win the Super Bowl, you are a "bad" team. There is the exception that may concede that both teams winning their conference are good teams. But simply winning your division, and certainly not just winning a wild card berth, does not make you a good team.

I don't believe I've read it, but I suspect that some even believe winning the Super Bowl doesn't necessarily make you a good team. A bad team could simply get lucky.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

I don't share the same thinking.
I had said long before the season started that this team has enough (including the position coaches) to win at least six.
After a number of trades and acquisitions, I still think the same.
It's up to the coaches to do their part, and so far they're doing it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's been stated on this forum by some, unless you win the Super Bowl, you are a "bad" team. There is the exception that may concede that both teams winning their conference are good teams. But simply winning your division, and certainly not just winning a wild card berth, does not make you a good team.
This is where I'm at, because we've seen bad Texans teams get to the divisional round.

We all want to see the Texans get past the divisional round. This isn't that year, but even if they did get to the divisional round, so what. There's going to be a lot of changes before September 2022 & it's a totally different team.