Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Dejaview

All Pro
When Nick said this during an interview, “ this year isn’t results driven, it’s process driven”, they lost me. Reason being, you should always attack the season with the mindset to win. If it doesn’t work out for your team, then you start making preparations for the draft and the following year.
Everyone is attacking that comment and have us in full tank mode because after our final preseason game we traded Roby? I for one don’t know what he meant by it and of course nobody else does either. dC said in his presser today that both he and the players play every game to win. Said players have a short term memory and want to win now. But my thought is that NC meant that his job this year is to turn this ship around and to clean up cap space and get HIS players while still wanting to win, but he’s dispelling rumors that DC is being set up to be fired. He seems to have put together a well rounded team, O, D and ST’s By bringing in, and continuing to bring in players that have had some success in the NFL. Odd way to tank. Nobody in the NFL had as little to work with as he did. He’s just trying to do a delicate balancing act…bringing in and coaching players to win vs making tough decisions to try to forward this roster as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Everyone is attacking that comment and have us in full tank mode because after our final preseason game we traded Roby? I for one don’t know what he meant by it and of course nobody else does either. dC said in his presser that both he and the players play every game to win. Said players have a short term memory and want to win now. But my thought is that NC meant that his job this year is to turn this ship around and to clean up cap space and get HIS players while still wanting to win, but he’s dispelling rumors that DC is being set up to be fired. He seems to have put together a well rounded team, O, D and ST’s By bringing in, and continuing to bring in players that have had some success in the NFL. Odd way to tank. Nobody in the NFL had as little to work with as he did. He’s just trying to do a delicate balancing act…bringing in and coaching players to win vs making tough decisions to try to forward this roster as quickly as possible.
They don’t have any directions right now. You know my predictions, but as of right now it doesn’t seem like it will come to pass. They got rid of Keke just to bring in a 37 year old vet. Crazy thing, he wasn’t having a bad camp. Things could change after the first 5 games.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
To be fair, JJ recently made the comment that he really likes Houston and the fans and wants to continue to have a presence there.
Not sure if I made it clear that I was talking about the $37 million his foundation raised to support Harvey recovery efforts.

The fact that in 2019 the Hwy 99/Grand Parkway was honorably named after Bob Lanier (when no part of it is in the city of Houston) and not JJ is a travesty.

Dejaview

All Pro
They don’t have any directions right now. You know my predictions, but as of right now it doesn’t seem like it will come to pass. They got rid of Keke just to bring in a 37 year old vet. Crazy thing, he wasn’t having a bad camp. Things could change after the first 5 games.
They liked Miller a lot more. amendola is depth. Either one they feel is > Keke. I believe their directions are gin clear. Improve the roster while moving parts around to clean up several years of neglect. Two steps forward one back. Not everybody’s ideal but this was handed to these guys. Tell me, how do you play to win without tanking while still trying to clean up the roster….and having a depleted draft to work with. EVERYONE will find something to fault because this didn’t come with instructions except from these threads.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I see it as a 3rd RD pick Caserio will use to trade for a player who would likely be cut, then restructure his contract and then trade him for a 6th RD pick or end up cutting him while eating $8MM of his salary in the process. This seems to be the method to Caserio's madness. There is a 90% chance this 3rd RD pick will not be used by the Texans in the 2022 draft.
Of course you would see it this way. I'm hoping they use the Saints 3rd and the Texans high 4th to move back into the 2nd rd.

1-1
2-33
2-48 or so without trading the 3rd string QB.

Not bad, if Caserio gets lucky and is able to add a couple of 1sts for the 3rd string QB then that would be adding 5 top 50 picks in the 2022 draft. Not a bad way to start a rebuild.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Of course you would see it this way. I'm hoping they use the Saints 3rd and the Texans high 4th to move back into the 2nd rd.

1-1
2-33
2-48 or so without trading the 3rd string QB.

Not bad, if Caserio gets lucky and is able to add a couple of 1sts for the 3rd string QB then that would be adding 5 top 50 picks in the 2022 draft. Not a bad way to start a rebuild.
Let's hope so...

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
They liked Miller a lot more. amendola is depth. Either one they feel is > Keke. I believe their directions are gin clear. Improve the roster while moving parts around to clean up several years of neglect. Two steps forward one back. Not everybody’s ideal but this was handed to these guys. Tell me, how do you play to win without tanking while still trying to clean up the roster….and having a depleted draft to work with. EVERYONE will find something to fault because this didn’t come with instructions except from these threads.
You're not understanding the part where they don't have the talent to win. You can try to win all you want, but if you're not good enough, you're not going to win much. And they will try because no one goes out on that field to half ass it or try to lose on purpose.

I've got no problem with cleaning out the roster. Build the depth up now and set yourself up to get playmakers later. I do have a problem, however, with people who think this roster clean out means that they could do some damage this year with 8 or 9 wins or whatever. That's not happening. This team right now looks like an expansion franchise. And not the Jacksonville/Carolina kind.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Over the top dislike is not reserved for just the GM...

The Hate around here for Cal is very misplaced too .....

Lots of people mad about the preacher but no one wants to understand the circumstances that brought him into play in the first place .... That all starts with Watson's behavior and his mother's request. All parties , accept for Watson had Watson's best interests at heart and he blew that whole situation up with his actions.

Just about every problem / issue the Texans have had in the past two years is related to one person - Watson and literally every decision the team made over that period of time was in an effort to save him from himself .... to no avail.

What I can fault Cal for is not firing OB after 51-7 .... but even that does absolutely nothing to change the course of events as the demand that Hopkins be moved was already made (maybe they get a better deal?) & the Instagram hoes issue had long been underway , going back at least as far as September 2019.
Hell I made first mention of it in April 2020 , a full year ahead of the story breaking and Buzbee's civil suits and I knew about the issues long before that as for weeks I eluded to why Hopkins not being told by the media or the team.

Watson's off field actions are the single biggest factor in the destruction of this team. That was the domino that set the rest in motion.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Lots of people mad about the preacher but no one wants to understand the circumstances that brought him into play in the first place .... That all starts with Watson's behavior and his mother's request. All parties , accept for Watson had Watson's best interests at heart and he blew that whole situation up with his actions.

Just about every problem / issue the Texans have had in the past two years is related to one person - Watson and literally every decision the team made over that period of time was in an effort to save him from himself .... to no avail.

What I can fault Cal for is not firing OB after 51-7 .... but even that does absolutely nothing to change the course of events as the demand that Hopkins be moved was already made (maybe they get a better deal?) & the Instagram hoes issue had long been underway , going back at least as far as September 2019.
Hell I made first mention of it in April 2020 , a full year ahead of the story breaking and Buzbee's civil suits and I knew about the issues long before that as for weeks I eluded to why Hopkins not being told by the media or the team.

Watson's off field actions are the single biggest factor in the destruction of this team. That was the domino that set the rest in motion.
Quoted for anyone who missed it.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
When Nick said this during an interview, “ this year isn’t results driven, it’s process driven”, they lost me. Reason being, you should always attack the season with the mindset to win. If it doesn’t work out for your team, then you start making preparations for the draft and the following year.
Not me .... I'm sure they are going to try their best every Sunday to win but they just lack the talent to do it.

He was being realistic and I appreciate the honesty from the GM.

Sometimes you just have to tear down the charred remains and rebuild.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

They should do a 30 for 30 or Netflix documentary on this.

Just unbelievable and bizarre.

No one would believe a multi millionaire in his prime would do something so stupid.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They are building a culture, man, which is far more important than winning games. :fingergun:

I openly criticize Cal, but I don't hate the man. He's probably a nice guy.

But, he's a dumb owner. And for that, he deserves all the heat that he gets. He's in over his head. He's hiring unqualified people (O'Brien as GM, Easterby as whatever, etc.), and promises a player that he gets to be a part of the boardroom decisions when he clearly did not mean it. That's just dumb dumb dumb. It's crap that Bob McNair would never have allowed.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
They are building a culture, man, which is far more important than winning games. :fingergun:

But, he's a dumb owner. And for that, he deserves all the heat that he gets. He's in over his head. He's hiring unqualified people (O'Brien as GM, Easterby as whatever, etc.), and promises a player that he gets to be a part of the boardroom decisions when he clearly did not mean it. That's just dumb dumb dumb. It's crap that Bob McNair would never have allowed.
The stuff about being kept in the loop on the GM & coaching hire is excuses made by the Watson camp , its come to light that Cal did keep him in the loop and the real reason he said he wouldn't play for them was "loyalty" - Cal not backing him in his legal battles and I don't fault Cal one bit , I wouldn't have either. Hell I'd have been looking for a way to void the contract ...
A lot of things happened and the perception Fans have had doesn't match the actual facts. They didn't dictate the narrative very well ....

He was thrown into a situation he wasn't ready for & we all make mistakes , the key is making sure we learn from them .... I think he's done that and started putting the right kind of people in the right places.

Caserio hasn't been perfect but he is more than qualified and has a plan .... Its gonna take a couple years to clean up the train wreck the last GM left. The draft will be relevant for us fans again & we'll have early picks to give us some hope for the future.

Culley is a breath of fresh air .... they wont win many games this year but that's because of the lack of talent , not lack of quality coaching. They are gonna play hard and not make many of those stupid errors we were accustomed to under Ob.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They should do a 30 for 30 or Netflix documentary on this.

Just unbelievable and bizarre.

No one would believe a multi millionaire in his prime would do something so stupid.
Yep, who knew his selfish play on the field would also be the selfish ways he chose to live his life off of the field.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Tell again, what did Bob McNair ever win and how many times have the Texans picked 1st in the draft? Cal probably wont win anything ever for different reasons. I do think Caserio is over football operations and he's got final say, whether that's good or bad is up for debate. Me? I'm just glad there seems to have been change within the org.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Singing Amen to the dolla and glad to get it

badboy

Hall of Fame

I agree 100%! I just wish I knew what Dashaun mom is doing if anything's to straighten out her son. Not sure she has any influence any more.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Not me .... I'm sure they are going to try their best every Sunday to win but they just lack the talent to do it.

He was being realistic and I appreciate the honesty from the GM.

Sometimes you just have to tear down the charred remains and rebuild.
I am over the what ifs and could have been. Tell it straight and fix it. Yesterday’s gone. Yesterday’s gone.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

I agree about Watson's off the field behavior are of his own doing and has been the biggest factor in the state of the franchise. However, why in the world did they stand around beaming like proud parents and give Watson $160 million without any indication that he addressed these "known" issues or putting a plan in place to correct his behavior? Watson did not give himself that contract. If they knew of these issues, why give him that contract without some pre-conditions? If O'Brien could address Hopkins and his "baby mamma" issue, what prevented him from doing the same with Watson?

As far as the Hopkins' trade. There were more posts advocating for his trade because of him not practicing, having too much locker room influence, getting too many of the WR targets or making Watson a better QB by taking away his "blankie". The problem I have with this new narrative is that if the McNairs recognized an issue and Easterby was brought in to "fix" these issues, he failed miserably. Yet similar to the excuses made when Hopkins was traded, we are still posting like the hiring of Easterby accomplished anything or kept the Texans from the situation they are in today.

Last edited:

Dejaview

All Pro
I agree about Watson's off the field behavior are of his own doing and has been the biggest factor in the state of the franchise. However, why in the world did they stand around beaming like proud parents and give Watson $160 million without any indication that he addressed these "known" issues or putting a plan in place to correct his behavior? Watson did not give himself that contract. If they knew of these issues, why give him that contract without some pre-conditions? If O'Brien could address Hopkins and his "baby mamma" issue, what prevented him from doing the same with Watson?

As far as the Hopkins' trade. There were more posts advocating for his trade because of him not practicing, having too much locker room influence, getting too many of the WR targets or making Watson a better QB by taking away his "blankie". The problem I have with this new narrative is that if the McNairs recognized an issue and Easterby was brought in to "fix" these issues, he failed miserably. Yet similar to the excuses made when Hopkins was traded, we are still posting like the hiring of Easterby accomplished anything or kept the Texans from the situation they are in today.
Will SOMEONE please prove this Easterby crap so we can move on. Of course that is wishful thinking since peoples personal politics taint this issue, if it’s true, PROVE IT!

Dejaview

All Pro

I think you are TOTALLY WRONG. He temporarily followed his Dads footsteps and Bob ruled. Good guy but I heard it a million times…you don’t win by making changes…and he proved it Hiring OB. To Cal’s credit, after his Dad died he carried over his Dads OB obsession, maybe out of respect…but he gave OB enough rope to hang himself and after four games last year he slapped the horses flank and the rope tightened. The exorcism started at that moment. Bob McNair was the Parmenides of NFL owners. Cal, to his credit, hired the Heraclitus of GM’s. Figure it out.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame

Watson signed his extension in early September 2020. I am not sure Janice McNair was aware of Dashaun's Behavior until much later. Don't know who else was aware and when.

Also Hop was important player but DW face of the team whose mom asked Janice to remove Dhop from her baby's world.
If Mrs McNair had known about DW, would she have said "you think DeAndre bad, let me open your eyes to your pervert son!" Ravens may have gotten a wide receiver and a quarterback.

mws

Rookie
This is what I don't understand.

Supposedly at least one person had made a complaint with HPD in September of 2019. Nearly a year later on September 5 2020 the Texans sign a 160 million dollar contract with Watson with $110,717,123 guaranteed.

So according to this, Cal & Easterby knowingly signed an extension almost 2 seasons before Watson's contract expired (including the fifth-year option at $17.5 million which the Texans exercised prior to the May 4, 2020 deadline) with someone with at least one sexual assault complaint already filed with the police.

I don't know any other word for this but total incompetence & this in itself should have been enough to get Easterby gone.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
This is what I don't understand.

Supposedly at least one person had made a complaint with HPD in September of 2019. Nearly a year later on September 5 2020 the Texans sign a 160 million dollar contract with Watson with $110,717,123 guaranteed.

So according to this, Cal & Easterby knowingly signed an extension almost 2 seasons before Watson's contract expired (including the fifth-year option at $17.5 million which the Texans exercised prior to the May 4, 2020 deadline) with someone with at least one sexual assault complaint already filed with the police.

I don't know any other word for this but total incompetence & this in itself should have been enough to get Easterby gone.
Exactly. I can buy/understand that no one knew of Watson's off the field behavior. But, I have a hard time buying this narrative that Easterby was hired to fix this mess, clear out the heathens and rebuild the culture when I look at that $160 million contract and the proud faces at the press conference when they gave him that contract.

I don't have any insider information. All I have to go by is the contract they gave Watson, the allegations, the dysfunction and the current state of the organization and it contradicts some of the revisionist history being posted (e.g., Easterby was hired to clean up this mess).

mws

Rookie
Filed in 2019 or claimed the incident took place in 2019?
Hell I don't know. Honestly the whole thing sickens me & I have not been following it at all. All the info I have is what little I have read here so I very well could have gotten it wrong about the dates.

I do know that the Hopkins trade happened in March of 2020 & I guess that was supposedly tied up with all the other sh**. Even if that was when they first suspected something was going on it was still 6 months before the contract extension and Watson was still under contract for 2 more seasons.

It seems they certainly had time and 160 million reasons to do their due diligence & investigate just what the hell was going on.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I feel like whoever plays in the slot will lead the team in receiving on a week to week basis. Whether that’s a WR, TE or one of our RBs motioned out to the slot. Tyrod will be working the slot machines when he’s not handing the ball to one of the RBs.
He certainly can't throw to the outside..

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

They gave him the contract without any protections because the perception at the time was he was just whoring around .... like any 25 year old red blooded American male with millions of dollars to burn would be. Not that he was assaulting women. There was no perception of wrongdoing , just impropriety at that point in time. he signed that extension in September of 2020 and the allegations didn't come to light until March of 2021.

No one had any idea at the time how bad this situation would ultimately become.

They collectively (Momma Watson , Janice , OB , Easterby) seemed to believe that removing the "poor influence" (DHop) would solve the issue , they were mistaken.

Again , the perceived issue at that time was that he was whoring around and Momma Watson didn't like that he had gone from a high class respectable girlfriend whom he had been with for years to whoring around with multiple tramps from Instagram.
This is what prompted the call from Momma Watson to Janice McNair , it's several months later that the massage therapy problems come to light in March of 2021 , a full year after Hopkins had been traded.

Yeah , you could call Easterby being brought in to "Fix" the situation a failure but you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. Watson was still allegedly doing what he did after the civil suits had been filed .... and its not until Harden is hired that the new complaints stop.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

The Texans really went out of their way to acquire special teams “specialists” this offseason. Lets hope having one of the best special teams units in the league makes up for some holes in the other two facets of the game.

Last edited:

vtech9

All Pro
We'll see after the Jags game, how good or bad the Texans are. If the Texans beat the Jags, it's quite possible that the Texans aren't last in the division this season. From looking at the schedules, the Jags may end up last again. TBH, I'm really not sure about the Colts this season. The Colts could also be fighting for the worst record in the division.

Number19

Hall of Fame
We'll see after the Jags game, how good or bad the Texans are. If the Texans beat the Jags, it's quite possible that the Texans aren't last in the division this season. From looking at the schedules, the Jags may end up last again. TBH, I'm really not sure about the Colts this season. The Colts could also be fighting for the worst record in the division.
The Colts season may ride on their QB situation.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texans just ate $7 million on Roby trade. I doubt 600,000 chokes them much.
Yep,

It gets me that for yrs posters have been treating the McNair's money like it's their money.

The next couple of yrs I hope there are many trades like the Roby trade. The Texans aren't and never have been players in FA so they should be spending as much as they can to get as many draft picks as possible.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
You do realize the Jags were 1-0 last year then proceeded to lose the next 15, right? Hell, the Texans were 2-0 in 2013, big come from behind road win, big OT win against a division rival, things looking up, a lot of promise, then they lose the next 14 in row. This 1st game of the season isn’t going to define anything. If they win, they beat a team that was 1-15 last year. And it's one of the few games even the most pessimistic thought they could win. And if they lose, it's one game. It doesn't mean look out 0-17, here we come.

Hey, remember that time the Bills beat the Patriots 31-0 in week 1? How horrible of a season did they end up having?

vtech9

All Pro
You do realize the Jags were 1-0 last year then proceeded to lose the next 15, right? Hell, the Texans were 2-0 in 2013, big come from behind road win, big OT win against a division rival, things looking up, a lot of promise, then they lose the next 14 in row. This 1st game of the season isn’t going to define anything. If they win, they beat a team that was 1-15 last year. And it's one of the few games even the most pessimistic thought they could win. And if they lose, it's one game. It doesn't mean look out 0-17, here we come.

Hey, remember that time the Bills beat the Patriots 31-0 in week 1? How horrible of a season did they end up having?
Which is all irrelevant to my point. Even though I expect the Texans to not be very good, I think this game will show if the Jags are worse. If the Texans can beat the Jags, it's a very good possibility that every other team can beat the Jags.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Which is all irrelevant to my point. Even though I expect the Texans to not be very good, I think this game will show if the Jags are worse. If the Texans can beat the Jags, it's a very good possibility that every other team can beat the Jags.
Like when the Jags beat the Colts in week 1 last year? If the Jags can beat them, it's a good possibility every other team can beat them. It doesn't quite work that way.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Week 1 is an extension of the preseason. Especially for "new" offenses & defenses.

A wise man once said, "Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

Week one, all but the most established, offenses & defenses are getting punched in the mouth.