Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Number19

Hall of Fame
There’s a new sheriff in town. Let’s see how he gets down first. I believe he picked a few sleepers in this years draft.

I highly doubt they trade the overall number one pick, if we do get it. Especially if we some how some way we land a few more draft picks for the numbnut Watson.
I thought the same at first, but on reflection, there is one scenario where they might trade down.

If they have one particular player targeted with their first pick, but that player would be available at #2 or #3, or even a bit lower, they might wrangle a swap with another high pick who needs #1 for their pick. Remember, Watt was available at #11.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
There is no such thing as a "sure pick". Trading a 1.1 is sometimes the prudent thing to do is you're in serious rebuild mode and need players. I've seen way to many 1.1 picks in the NFL fizzle out to just automatically think a 1.1 is magic.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There’s a new sheriff in town. Let’s see how he gets down first. I believe he picked a few sleepers in this years draft.

I highly doubt they trade the overall number one pick, if we do get it. Especially if we some how some way we land a few more draft picks for the numbnut Watson.
There may be a new sheriff, but it's the same dumbass mayor running the town. :howdy:

And remember, it has always been the mayor that picks 1.1 with this franchise.

My basic attitude about the Texans until proven otherwise:

CmonDoSomethingTexans2.jpg

Texansballer74

The Marine
There may be a new sheriff, but it's the same dumbass mayor running the town. :howdy:

And remember, it has always been the mayor that picks 1.1 with this franchise.

My basic attitude about the Texans until proven otherwise:

View attachment 8831
But we both know the mayor is weak. Bill O ran all over him and Caserio has put him in a corner. We do not see him talking as much.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I thought the same at first, but on reflection, there is one scenario where they might trade down.

If they have one particular player targeted with their first pick, but that player would be available at #2 or #3, or even a bit lower, they might wrangle a swap with another high pick who needs #1 for their pick. Remember, Watt was available at #11.
Yep, if Caserio has 1-1 or 1-2 and Mills proves to be the QB of he future, then a trade down could happen and Stingley or Thibodeaux could be the pick.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
It's a question of how bad?

Sure, we were the third worst team in the league in 2020. But the worst team in the league is also in our division.

I'd be upset with Caserio's approach to this offseason if we end up being the worst team in our division in 2021. That could be accomplished spending a lot less money, better use of draft picks, & without pushing debt into the future.
lol.. what draft picks? He was left with the pantry empty :) and Nicky had the rug pulled out from underneath him. Watson's trade value (and a load of blue chip picks) evaporated overnight. For that reason alone, I'm giving Caserio a pass this season with the hopes of being surprised.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
MCCLAIN:

In 17 days, the Texans report to training camp at Houston Methodist Training Center. The offseason always goes so fast. Even though most projections have the Texans being the worst team in the NFL, I’m excited to see how everything falls into place for general manager Nick Caserio, coach David Culley and their staffs.

I’ve never seen a team with so many new players and so many roster spots and starting jobs available. Caserio wanted to create competition at every position, and it looks as if he’s accomplished his mission. Time will tell, of course.

I was asked on Sports Radio 610 this week about starters. At this point in the offseason, I believe the only sure-fire starters are quarterback Tyrod Taylor, receiver Brandin Cooks, tight end Jordan Akins, left tackle Laremy Tunsil, right tackle Tytus Howard, center Justin Britt, middle linebacker Zach Cunningham, cornerback Bradley Roby and safety Justin Reid. If I’m right, that means the Texans have to find 13 more starters. That’s a lot of spots to be determined.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Ranking the NFL's top 10 offensive tackles for 2021: Execs, coaches, players make their picks
Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Staff Writer
We surveyed more than 50 league executives, coaches, scouts and players to help us stack the top 10 players at 11 different positions, from edge rusher to interior offensive linemen and all the way through tight ends. This is the second edition of these rankings, and there are several players who moved up and dropped from last year's lists.

Here's how our process worked: Voters gave us their best 10 to 15 players at a position, then we compiled the results and ranked candidates based on number of top-10 votes, composite average, interviews, research and film-study help from ESPN NFL analyst Matt Bowen. We had several ties, so we broke them by isolating the two-man matchup with additional voting and follow-up calls. Each section is packed with quotes and nuggets from the voters on every guy -- even the honorable mentions. The objective is to identify the best players right now for 2021. This is not a five-year projection or an achievement award. Who's the best today? Pretty simple.

A 32-year-old makes the strongest case in years. A pair of 22-year-olds look ready to do the same. This year's list of the NFL's top 10 offensive tackles has serious range, thanks to an amalgam of talent -- from comeback players to oft-injured stars and ascending technicians. The competition was strong enough to drop last year's No. 1 back several spots. Here we go:

1. Trent Williams, San Francisco 49ers
Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 10
That 10th-place vote was an outlier. Williams bulldozed the voting process like he pancaked Cardinals linebacker Jordan Hicks in a viral moment from Week 1. "He's that player O-linemen are sharing videos about," said an NFL offensive line coach. "You could easily pull out 20 plays from every game where he's dominant." After missing the 2019 season due in part to frustrations with Washington's medical staff over the handling of his head injury, resulting in a trade to San Francisco, Williams posted a 91.9 Pro Football Focus grade and a 93.6% pass block win rate, tops among this group. "He's been on a whole different level the last five years," said an AFC offensive coach. "Dominant in every facet, runs in space, massive individual, more devastating on his blocks, plays violently and can drive a person back flat-footed." That profile led to a massive $138 million extension with the 49ers. "By far and away the most talented -- his only deal is effort and consistency," an NFC exec said. "Even with lapses, still the best.

2. David Bakhtiari, Green Bay Packers
Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 6
Teams want a tackle who can wear down the opposition, and that's what Bakhtiari did on this list, climbing to No. 2 thanks to a stellar eight-year profile. "I think it's more a respect for the consistency he's put together while other players have fallen off," said an NFC exec. "He's such an easy evaluation. He's very good at everything, just lacking elite size and power. So dependable at a position where that's so important." Bakhtiari, who surprisingly ranked just seventh last year, posted an impressive 93.1% pass block win rate before tearing his ACL in late December. "The system aids him and takes him to the next level," another NFC exec said. "He's just solid. O-line play isn't stellar leaguewide." Bakhtiari, a former fourth-round pick, could miss the start of the season while he recovers from a knee injury, but that didn't affect his ranking in the eyes of voters.

3. Laremy Tunsil, Houston Texans
Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: 9
One of the league's most gifted linemen, Tunsil might be the lone star out of Houston to crack a top-10 list at any position. He is a true anchor who can win with power or quick feet, winning 89.7% of his pass-block snaps in 2020. "He's more explosive and athletic -- he's not devastating with ferocity like Trent Williams," said an NFC offensive coach. "But he's got that gear that most don't where when he wants to dominate, he can." Pro Football Focus calls Tunsil a "middling run-blocker," but coaches still consider him a threat in that area, at least when he wants to be.

Number19

Hall of Fame

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
A little surprising to be ranked this highly, but not overly so. PFF has him ranked #8, based on their statistical methodology. Now we have this polling based on how his peers rank NFL talent. And to think there are a few on this forum who would have the Texans trade him.
I’d trade the #1 rated tackle for the right price, especially in our situation.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
A little surprising to be ranked this highly, but not overly so. PFF has him ranked #8, based on their statistical methodology. Now we have this polling based on how his peers rank NFL talent. And to think there are a few on this forum who would have the Texans trade him.
Tunsil is a building block.

banned1976

sleeper mode
There are people on this board that would trade Mahomes if he were a Texans just for the fun of it.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I’d trade the #1 rated tackle for the right price, especially in our situation.
yes for the right price has been what I've said. People who acknowledge they do not watch college ball, understand the salary cap or read any sources other than TT members are vociferous about "their pov". Well I like (player) so I wouldn't trade him for anything.

I don't dislike Tunsil and as I've said if Mills is a good QB I would not push to trade LT after 21 who is a building block but we need more than one. If we could get 3 building blocks [including another left tackle that can be a stable blocker at left tackle] AND lower cap maybe using said space to get another building block why would we not?

I don't present trade proposals just to have something to do; I think they are possible and improve the Houston Texans not the Tunsil Texans.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
yes for the right price has been what I've said. People who acknowledge they do not watch college ball, understand the salary cap or read any sources other than TT members are vociferous about "their pov". Well I like (player) so I wouldn't trade him for anything.

I don't dislike Tunsil and as I've said if Mills is a good QB I would not push to trade LT after 21 who is a building block but we need more than one. If we could get 3 building blocks [including another left tackle that can be a stable blocker at left tackle] AND lower cap maybe using said space to get another building block why would we not?

I don't present trade proposals just to have something to do; I think they are possible and improve the Houston Texans not the Tunsil Texans.
Like I've asked before, who in the 2022 draft is remotely as good of a LT as Tunsil.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m not getting rid of one of the few good players on this team. People are already complaining about not having any talent. No freaking way
Particularly if you want to well protect a young QB so he has a chance to develop properly. You would think some posters would learn after seeing Carr/Pervert not being protected properly they might want to give their new young QB his best chance to succeed, Whether that's Mills or another QB drafted in 2022. But I guess not.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Like I've asked before, who in the 2022 draft is remotely as good of a LT as Tunsil.
And as I have posted before, we don't have to limit thinking to Tunsil for a left tackle. I have said trade DW to Lions for 1.2 where many think Detroit will be in 2022. You also get 1.29 and Sewell and either CB Okudah or 2.34.

Use what you get for Tunsil at other spots.

A trade to Bengals or Arizona could land Charles Cross in other scenarios.

Texansballer74

The Marine
They will be able to acquire more talent in next year’s draft. We will have picks in the first four rounds. If they’re able to get rid of Watson before then, we probably would get another first and second round picks in the 2022 draft. Add in a player or two and another first round pick in 2023. By then Mills should be ready ( hopefully) therefore, you can build up the talent around him. You do not get rid of Tunsil unless there’s a for sure top level Left Tackle in the 2022 draft. If not you keep him until his contract expires.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And as I have posted before, we don't have to limit thinking to Tunsil for a left tackle. I have said trade DW to Lions for 1.2 where many think Detroit will be in 2022. You also get 1.29 and Sewell and either CB Okudah or 2.34.

Use what you get for Tunsil at other spots.

A trade to Bengals or Arizona could land Charles Cross in other scenarios.
This would be great if Caserio could get Sewell along with 1-2/1-29. Let me get this straight you want Holmes to trade the Pervert (Who's likely to be suspended for atleast next yr and would become the face of the franchise) and Tunsil? Knowing this is a 1st yr GM and that he would be putting his reputation on the line as well as adding significant $$$$ to the Lions cap, do you think Holmes would risk his job after only being on the job for less than a yr?

Very unlikely to happen.

I could see the Pervert being traded to Philly before the 2022 draft. Or Miami, those are the type of franchises that dont care about who the face of their franchises is.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Getting rid of Tunsil at this point of the Texans building stage is to simply forget the results of having no legitimate LT going back to 2002 when Boselli failed to ever work out, to the loss of Duane Brown. Some people evidently just enjoy wandering happlessly in the desert.
Totally agree with your point on Tunsil. It would be silly to trade a really good LT. As to wandering haplessly in the desert, I think fans are just following the example set for them by the Texans themselves. LOL

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Getting rid of Tunsil at this point of the Texans building stage is to simply forget the results of having no legitimate LT going back to 2002 when Boselli failed to ever work out, to the loss of Duane Brown. Some people evidently just enjoy wandering happlessly in the desert.
Maybe so, but he didn’t sign a very long contract. He’s here for 3 more years, and this building stage could very well take that long.

They gave up so much to get him here I think it would be smart to explore what you could get back for him. He stays beyond his contract and it gets even more expensive.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Everyone is going to cost more with salary-cap expected to rise significantly. First round pick window, for salary cost purposes, lasts 4-5 years, depending if new contract reached before rookie deal expires. Texans will have to do this however, make Tunsil a top 3 paid LT in the league to retain, the ball is in his court.

There are usually good OT values to develop later in each draft. You can target specimen (RAS) or the technician with most polish. If not for the poor state of QB affairs, one of these two routes would have been viable option, but they had to get a developmental QB with potential to start someday and keep on the Tunsil train.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This would be great if Caserio could get Sewell along with 1-2/1-29. Let me get this straight you want Holmes to trade the Pervert (Who's likely to be suspended for atleast next yr and would become the face of the franchise) and Tunsil? Knowing this is a 1st yr GM and that he would be putting his reputation on the line as well as adding significant $$$$ to the Lions cap, do you think Holmes would risk his job after only being on the job for less than a yr?

Very unlikely to happen.

I could see the Pervert being traded to Philly before the 2022 draft. Or Miami, those are the type of franchises that dont care about who the face of their franchises is.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Everyone is going to cost more with salary-cap expected to rise significantly. First round pick window, for salary cost purposes, lasts 4-5 years, depending if new contract reached before rookie deal expires. Texans will have to do this however, make Tunsil a top 3 paid LT in the league to retain, the ball is in his court.

There are usually good OT values to develop later in each draft. You can target specimen (RAS) or the technician with most polish. If not for the poor state of QB affairs, one of these two routes would have been viable option, but they had to get a developmental QB with potential to start someday and keep on the Tunsil train.
The problem fandom has with developmental players is that no one is ever happy with whomever is on the team. They always want the next project in the next draft. We have several developing OT's on the roster right now this year, and of course, they're not good enough in the minds of many. But the Texans have spent the capital necessary for, and have settled on, their starting tackles, for at least the next three years. Their focus is, and rightfully should be, on other positions, especially when it comes to draft capital. At best, back end draft picks and free agent signings to competively push for the backup jobs.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
The problem fandom has with developmental players is that no one is ever happy with whomever is on the team. They always want the next project in the next draft. We have several developing OT's on the roster right now this year, and of course, they're not good enough in the minds of many. But the Texans have spent the capital necessary for, and have settled on, their starting tackles, for at least the next three years. Their focus is, and rightfully should be, on other positions, especially when it comes to draft capital. At best, back end draft picks and free agent signings to competively push for the backup jobs.
The above scenario is exactly what forced the Texans hand. I’m merely pointing out both the reality as it pertain’s to Tunsil and strategy to avoid similar, regrettable situation, in future.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Texans are in a good position with Tunsil. He’s the LT for 2021 at just under 10M. Texans will owe him just over 26M in 2022. Texans should be in a position to draft his replacement in 2022 or 2023. The draftee could be groomed to step in as the starter by the 2023 trade deadline.

Tunsil, provided his protection has been solid, should be a strong trade asset at that time of the season b/c the receiving team will only owe a prorated balance of his contract and would have the option to extend him before the season ends. He would essentially be a rental unless an extension was worked out at the time of his arrival.

2022 and/or 2023 would be ample time to allow a top drafted LT to be groomed for his eventual step-in as starter.

Team should be able to handle Tunsil’s 26M+ in 2022 and a prorated amount in 2023 since Watson should be gone in 2022 and his contract null and voided for his actions.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We have several developing OT's on the roster right now this year, and of course, they're not good enough in the minds of many.
Playing devils advocate, I think it's because BO'b & Devlin said those guys weren't good enough to play LT.

I believe they drafted two tackles & decided neither could play the position in OTAs, because they were looking for a LT right away.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They will be able to acquire more talent in next year’s draft. We will have picks in the first four rounds. If they’re able to get rid of Watson before then, we probably would get another first and second round picks in the 2022 draft. Add in a player or two and another first round pick in 2023. By then Mills should be ready ( hopefully) therefore, you can build up the talent around him. You do not get rid of Tunsil unless there’s a for sure top level Left Tackle in the 2022 draft. If not you keep him until his contract expires.
Exactly

I also want to add that the 2022 draft appears to have a bunch of edge rushers and CB's in it that are far superior to the 2021 class.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Heck is the developmental guy. He actually looked pretty good when he started last yr. Surprised the Heck out of me with Devlin coaching him up.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Playing devils advocate, I think it's because BO'b & Devlin said those guys weren't good enough to play LT.

I believe they drafted two tackles & decided neither could play the position in OTAs, because they were looking for a LT right away.
I believe Heck could eventually become a starting LT. I'm good with Tunsil being here for the remainder of his contract and then judge whether Tunsil is worthy of another extension at that time.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I’m not getting rid of one of the few good players on this team. People are already complaining about not having any talent. No freaking way
so...one pro-bowler on an enormous 3 year contract with an future unknown third round QB and the rest of this roster that most in the nation says is probably going to be in bottom 1-5 teams is someone that you insist on keeping? Even if you can get a top 10 pick and say Joseph Ossai from Bengals?

The way to go from having no talent is to get rid of one guy that has trade value and bring in 2 or three players that have talent...building year...

badboy

Hall of Fame
Them players could be off the board then what?
well--if you trade for Sewell--it doesn't matter how the draft goes--he would be on your team. Also by the end of 2021 we will know if Rodrick Johnson and or Charlie Heck are players of fodder. If either are left tackles for 2022 that takes another position off list of concern as will Mills.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Getting rid of Tunsil at this point of the Texans building stage is to simply forget the results of having no legitimate LT going back to 2002 when Boselli failed to ever work out, to the loss of Duane Brown. Some people evidently just enjoy wandering haplessly in the desert.
why do you assume that trading Tunsil results in having no legitimate LT? a building year is precisely when we shoud be making bold move to get us out of this morass. I am surprised you bring up Boselli as IIRC you have posted in the distant past that Boselli should have never been selected by Houston? After Jags place him on IR he had four surgeries with three of those on his right shoulder. The Texans physicians whom you have criticized for years should have insisted his injures were too great. I agree that DBrown was a loss but he had put GM in a negotiating hole as did Watson before the charges exploded. IIRC as with DW, Texans did not want to trade Brown initially. Yes, the Texans should not have made either of those two moves; trading Tunsil would not be from a forced position.

I do not enjoy wandering haplessly but we are wandering and have been. I want to do something about that; not continue as is.

Edit: 2nd round 2002 Chester Pitts was pretty good before injury

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
why do you assume that trading Tunsil results in having no legitimate LT? a building year is precisely when we shoud be making bold move to get us out of this morass. I am surprised you bring up Boselli as IIRC you have posted in the distant past that Boselli should have never been selected by Houston? After Jags place him on IR he had four surgeries with three of those on his right shoulder. The Texans physicians whom you have criticized for years should have insisted his injures were too great. I agree that DBrown was a loss but he had put GM in a negotiating hole as did Watson before the charges exploded. IIRC as with DW, Texans did not want to trade Brown initially. Yes, the Texans should not have made either of those two moves; trading Tunsil would not be from a forced position.

I do not enjoy wandering haplessly but we are wandering and have been. I want to do something about that; not continue as is.
Having a good OL when you draft a young QB would be a change.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If you do not draft or trade for a left tackle in 2022 you want to go into 2023 with Tunsil in his final contract year at $27 million guaranteed and argue with him on a new contract? Haven't we learned anything?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Edit: 2nd round 2002 Chester Pitts was pretty good before injury
Your memory of my opinions regarding Boselli are accurate. But that does not contradict my statement you quoted........."when Boselli failed to ever work out." If I didn't know better, I would say that you are looking for disagreement where there should be none.