Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Exactly! On one hand, there are posts in this forum that mentions Watson "changed" AFTER he got into the NFL. That he dumped his long-time girlfriend. Now, its RS should have known before drafting him? It's so silly, it doesn't even deserve a response. I'm glad the ignore feature is preventing me from reading half of the gibberish being posted.
Rick Smith caused COVID.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
I know many here think this is a great idea. And that Nick Caserio is a brilliant GM. No sense in me trying to argue this point today. Instead I'll wait until next year when it will make more sense to explain why all this restructuring is a terrible idea and why Nick Caserio is fast becoming the worst of all Bill Belichick admins.
Not a whole lot of options with the cap being down this year and likely going up significantly in the next few years with the new TV deal. I don't like doing these restructures all the time, but if you do it with players you expect to play out the rest of their contract AND in the right situations, it's not that big of a deal.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Caserio is showing absolutely no signs of financial understanding or responsibility. They are key components in building and managing a successful football team and operation. Nick has spent over $45MM of the 2022 and 2023 salary caps. That's a big disadvantage when compared to every other team in the division who do not have to make payments in 2022 and 2023 on money they borrowed in 2021. Fiscally responsible Nick is NOT!
They will begin to build through the draft and take their lumps on clearing the salary cap over that time.
Ive not played Madden for years but the Texans are in the equivalent of when you’ve overspent your salary cap on Madden and can’t continue.

The Texans won’t be $45 million in FA away from a super bowl win in 22 or 23.

They will hope to have quality young draftees to sign to franchise contracts with the money freeing up in 24 and 25. We are in long rebuild mode.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Caserio is showing absolutely no signs of financial understanding or responsibility. They are key components in building and managing a successful football team and operation. Nick has spent over $45MM of the 2022 and 2023 salary caps. That's a big disadvantage when compared to every other team in the division who do not have to make payments in 2022 and 2023 on money they borrowed in 2021. Fiscally responsible Nick is NOT!
Seriously?
He has restructured 5 Texans contracts saving $30m.
He has little to work with rebuilding this team so I applaud him for finding ways to get new blood in here.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wow. Does anyone in the building actually have a vision for the direction of this franchise?

We know the McNairs don't. They are most likely content just making money hand over fists.

Greg Grissom is happy to finally be president after 20 years with the organization.

Jack Easterby is content with having a big-wig title at an NFL Franchise.

Nick Caserio is the wild card, but is now operating without the safety net of a genius head coach. He's now expected to basically build an expansion franchise without the benefit of the first two rounds of draft picks, no franchise QB, no expansion draft, and a cap that has been abused by the smartest man in the room.

I tried to tell posters about how bad ownership was back in 2010.

Few would listen and even called the McNair's hands off ownership.

These posters some of these posters are begrudgingly in agreement now.
Fans are inherently optimistic. Nobody wants to root for a perpetual loser (except Cleveland, of course).

But, just like Bud Adams built a history that could examined and scrutinized to the point of fan apathy and / or rebellion, the McNair family is doing the same.

THE END OF THE WATSON ERA is already HERE. :fingergun:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Nick Caserio is the wild card, but is now operating without the safety net of a genius head coach. He's now expected to basically build an expansion franchise without the benefit of the first two rounds of draft picks, no franchise QB, no expansion draft, and a cap that has been abused by the smartest man in the room.
Trying to be fair, I'm judging Caserio by his early decisions and how they effect Texans. 1. Operates with tunnel vision (arrogant know it all?) which limits available scope and opportunities, ie. no college coaches considered. Why? You can talk about anyone but the QB. Why? 2. Hired 65 yr old journeyman coach for HC with no HC experience. 3. Resigned David Johnson. Why? 4. Restructured every major contract possible borrowing over $30MM from 2022 and 2023 salary caps. Fiscally irresponsible. Shows no long term vision. Operates with coach think and only the season at hand, no four year plan? This does not instill any confidence in Caserio's abilities going forward. Or should I say Caserio's early moves instill the confidence he could become the WORST Belichick admin to become a GM for another team.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Wow. Does anyone in the building actually have a vision for the direction of this franchise?

We know the McNairs don't. They are most likely content just making money hand over fists.

Greg Grissom is happy to finally be president after 20 years with the organization.

Jack Easterby is content with having a big-wig title at an NFL Franchise.

Fans are inherently optimistic. Nobody wants to root for a perpetual loser (except Cleveland, of course).

But, just like Bud Adams built a history that could examined and scrutinized to the point of fan apathy and / or rebellion, the McNair family is doing the same.

THE END OF THE WATSON ERA is already HERE. :fingergun:

They were talking about their supposedly plan today on 610. The plan was to build around Watson, getting better offensive line play and build the defense up starting with the trench work. Then getting linebackers who will fit into Lovie’s scheme.

We all seen the potential of the offense without a running game and good blocking in the passing game. That’s why they snatched up a much bigger offensive line. They also got rid of Martin, who was always getting pushed into the backfield or missing blocking assignments.

Therefore the plan wasn’t a full rebuild but more of a retool. Bringing in players who will fight for a contract, making camp that much more competitive.

Now that plan is stunted because of the freak demanding a trade and getting himself caught up with all these accusations. But acquiring TT and RF will soften the blow.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You know I am right. I'll be glad when we are back on the same side.
Right now I dont have a side. So far I like the 1-2 yr Caserio contract philosophy, because that's how long it should take to build the talent level back up. All of these guys are easily cutable. There should be plenty of cap room available over the next 2 yrs. I actually like the Tunsil extension because I want the new young QB to have his blindside well protected (Unlike Carr/DW4) and the team needs veteran leadership. Tunsil can provide this and is a Pro Bowl caliber LT. (Gotta pay those guys)

I dont like the Mercilus/Cunningham extensions along with the DJ extension. (Although I understand the DJ extension) because you're borrowing against the future for 2 guys (Cunningham/Mercilus) certainly shouldn't be part of the future.

What I really wonder is, is Caserio trying to win this yr with Taylor at QB? Because if that's the case this is a big mistake. IMHO

I will admit that of course I'm rooting for Caserio to succeed. However the DW4 fiasco isn't doing Caserio or the Texans org any favors. But the Texans deserve to suffer for the decisions they've made before Caserio even entered the doors on Kirby.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
In fairness to Texian, nothing is being "saved". The cap hits are just pushed to later years, and that's what Texian's problem is with these moves.
Thats exactly what needs to happen if we want to see anything happen in this offseason.
Bill left us very little cap space, and no 1st and 2nd round pick.
I don't know what your friend was expecting to happen - perhaps he is in the wrong profession...
I resisted the temptation to return his little thumbs down.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Right now I dont have a side. So far I like the 1-2 yr Caserio contract philosophy, because that's how long it should take to build the talent level back up. All of these guys are easily cutable. There should be plenty of cap room available over the next 2 yrs. I actually like the Tunsil extension because I want the new young QB to have his blindside well protected (Unlike Carr/DW4) and the team needs veteran leadership. Tunsil can provide this and is a Pro Bowl caliber LT. (Gotta pay those guys)

I dont like the Mercilus/Cunningham extensions along with the DJ extension. (Although I understand the DJ extension) because you're borrowing against the future for 2 guys (Cunningham/Mercilus) certainly shouldn't be part of the future.

What I really wonder is, is Caserio trying to win this yr with Taylor at QB? Because if that's the case this is a big mistake. IMHO

I will admit that of course I'm rooting for Caserio to succeed. However the DW4 fiasco isn't doing Caserio or the Texans org any favors. But the Texans deserve to suffer for the decisions they've made before Caserio even entered the doors on Kirby.
Borrowing from the 2022 and 2023 salary cap to sign a bottom tier FA for 1 or 2 years is asinine. You cut them in 2022 but you borrowed money in 2022 and 2023 to sign them in 2021 for one maybe two years is an exercise in stupidity. Yes they are easily cutable so why take out a loan to sign them?

The Tunsil extension was done a year ago when they traded for him. Caserio had nothing to do with the extension. All Caserio did was move $10MM of Tunsil's 2021 salary to the 2022 and 2023 salary caps. Tunsil is still a FA after 2023. Nothing has changed in the length of Tunsil's contract. So if Tunsil walks to FA after 2023 you need to start looking for his replacement now as in rickytic. Learning to play OL is a 3 yr process. You forgot the Cooks $7.5MM restructure and his $5MM dead cap the year after he becomes a FA. This is all beginning to sound like someone who lives from paycheck to paycheck.

Trying to be fair, I'm judging Caserio by his early decisions and how they effect Texans. 1. Operates with tunnel vision (arrogant know it all?) which limits available scope and opportunities, ie. no college coaches considered. Why? You can talk about anyone but the QB. Why? 2. Hired 65 yr old journeyman coach for HC with no HC experience. 3. Resigned David Johnson. Why? 4. Restructured every major contract possible borrowing over $45MM from 2022 and 2023 salary caps. Fiscally irresponsible. Shows know long term vision. Operates with coach think and only the season at hand, no four year plan? This does not instill any confidence in Caserio's abilities going forward. Or should I say Caserio's early moves instill the confidence he could become the WORST Belichick admin to become a GM for another team.
While I agree about mortgaging the future, there is probably something bigger at play. The roster turnover is Nic getting ready to make this "his team". Also I don't know the numbers but moves had to be made in order for them to be under the cap AND fill the roster with the required amount of players. Again, I see your point and yes the more cash you have the more flexibility you should have but you can't judge the on field performance/outcome (all that really matters) of 2022 or 2023 in the spring of 2021.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Borrowing from the 2022 and 2023 salary cap to sign a bottom tier FA for 1 or 2 years is asinine. You cut them in 2022 but you borrowed money in 2022 and 2023 to sign them in 2021 for one maybe two years is an exercise in stupidity. Yes they are easily cutable so why take out a loan to sign them?

The Tunsil extension was done a year ago when they traded for him. Caserio had nothing to do with the extension. All Caserio did was move $10MM of Tunsil's 2021 salary to the 2022 and 2023 salary caps. Tunsil is still a FA after 2023. Nothing has changed in the length of Tunsil's contract. So if Tunsil walks to FA after 2023 you need to start looking for his replacement now as in rickytic. Learning to play OL is a 3 yr process. You forgot the Cooks $7.5MM restructure and his $5MM dead cap the year after he becomes a FA. This is all beginning to sound like someone who lives from paycheck to paycheck.
I understand your point

I'm willing to see where they are in relation to the draft/Cap in a couple of yrs. Especially since the cap should go up some, but probably not as much as some think it will. Obviously your mind is made up. If Caserio can find 3 solid long term starters from all of these signings and move around in the draft to find a couple of more solid starters I will be impressed with this offseason. That should set the team up if they can hit on their draft picks in 2022 to eventually become a contender provided they hit on the QB position.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I understand your point

I'm willing to see where they are in relation to the draft/Cap in a couple of yrs. Especially since the cap should go up some, but probably not as much as some think it will. Obviously your mind is made up. If Caserio can find 3 solid long term starters from all of these signings and move around in the draft to find a couple of more solid starters I will be impressed with this offseason. That should set the team up if they can hit on their draft picks in 2022 to eventually become a contender provided they hit on the QB position.
Yeah my mind is made up. More than likely has to do with my economics degree and why I see Caserio so far as being fiscally and financially irresponsible and behaving like a drunk sailor.

Texian

Hall of Fame
While I agree about mortgaging the future, there is probably something bigger at play. The roster turnover is Nic getting ready to make this "his team". Also I don't know the numbers but moves had to be made in order for them to be under the cap AND fill the roster with the required amount of players. Again, I see your point and yes the more cash you have the more flexibility you should have but you can't judge the on field performance/outcome (all that really matters) of 2022 or 2023 in the spring of 2021.
I'm of the opinion that the more you embrace the suck in 2021 the better 2022 and 2023 will be. See Jags and Jets.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah my mind is made up. More than likely has to do with my economics degree and why I see Caserio so far as being fiscally and financially irresponsible and behaving like a drunk sailor.
Like I said, I dont like some of the moves.

Most of the $$$$ spent will come off of the books within the next 2 yrs.

Believe it or not I get what you're saying, I just think with all of the short term deals and the cap going up it wont be that big of a deal.

I'm more concerned with finding guys that can play and I've already gave my expectations in this regard and timeline.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mahomas was off the freaking board and back then has no bearings on what’s going today. And that’s just wrong for you to throw RS in there. Drafting Watson was a darn good choice during that time. Again stop acting like you knew Watson’s personal faults way back then.
Who drafted DW4?

I didn't like the DW4 pick for football reasons. (Still dont)

DW4's style of play (Undisciplined/off script) mirrors his personal life.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Like I said, I dont like some of the moves.

Most of the $$$$ spent will come off of the books within the next 2 yrs.

Believe it or not I get what you're saying, I just think with all of the short term deals and the cap going up it wont be that big of a deal.

I'm more concerned with finding guys that can play and I've already gave my expectations in this regard and timeline.
I don't think 2022 is shaping up to be as good cap wise as you think. Right now the Texans are less than $2MM under the cap in 2022 thanks to restructuring. 2023 is much better at $108MM under but there are only 12 players under contract. It looks like Caserio is setting up a perpetual rob Peter to pay Paul operation. Restructuring contracts seems to be Caserio's go to and pattern of behavior to foolishly burn cash.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't know man.. After reading all the affidavits there definitely was a script..
And the Texans had an idea of what was gton. The Hopkins trade and the rumors of Easterby hiring a private investigator to follow players. Then Easterby contacting DW4'S mom via text, which lead to the 2 momma's etc...

Yep Janice/Cal backed the wrong horse. Ask yourself why they didn't trade DW4 when they found out what was going on.

Could it come down to what it always comes down to with the Texans? Money 💰

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I did not expect Caserio to borrow over $45MM from 2022 and 2023 so he could rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic in 2021.

I haven't been paying attention .... what deals did he do that with ?

Tunsil I assume but that doesn't account for near that much.

Mercilus ? That deal was toxic to begin with , one of the leagues worst contracts.

Who else ?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I'll remind them. I get the sense that folks that only pay the interest due on their credit card balances are the ones who think Caserio is a genius.
Caserio probably isn't a genius.

I pay my credit cards off monthly.
Perfect example of arm chair GMs.

They equate managing credit card debt as the successful way to run an NFL football franchise.

That’s their real life experience to running an NFL team.

Managing credit card debt is not equivalent to managing an NFL team.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I haven't been paying attention .... what deals did he do that with ?

Tunsil I assume but that doesn't account for near that much.

Mercilus ? That deal was toxic to begin with , one of the leagues worst contracts.

Who else ?
Tunsil $15MM. Mercilus $6MM, Cooks $10MM, Cunningham $8MM, resigned David Johnson $5MM. I imagine Roby and Cobb will be next. Mercilus is a free agent after this season but is $7 in dead money in 2022. Cooks is a FA in after 2022 but is $5MM in dead money in 2023. Now those are atrocious toxic deals.

In 2022 the Texans are just under $2MM under the cap. Indy is $90MM and Jags and Titans are $34MM. Texans are losing big time on the accounting spread sheet. You've to be competitive on the accounting spread sheet to be competitive on the field.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I understand your point

It will be interesting to see how much cap space we have left after he trims the roster down to the required 53.
I wonder if you can theoretically go over the cap now, then trim that back further to be under when the required cut off time arrives? I'm thinking yes because I thought he went over a couple times during recent the recent hiring spree?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Tunsil $15MM. Mercilus $6MM, Cooks $10MM, Cunningham $8MM, resigned David Johnson $5MM. I imagine Roby and Cobb will be next. Mercilus is a free agent after this season but is $7 in dead money in 2022. Cooks is a FA in after 2022 but is $5MM in dead money in 2023. Now those are atrocious toxic deals.

In 2022 the Texans are just under $2MM under the cap. Indy is $90MM and Jags and Titans are $34MM. Texans are losing big time on the accounting spread sheet. You've to be competitive on the accounting spread sheet to be competitive on the field.
Being $2m under the salary cap and hiring so many new players is quite an achievement considering the disastrous situation he walked into here.
I expect Caserio will have a few more tricks up his sleeve before free agency is done.

banned1976

sleeper mode

Pretty much how I see it. The owners of the Texans enjoy the company of their friends so much they hired them into the jobs with the most responsibilities regardless of qualifications, or lack thereof. Everything else is secondary to their friendship.

And anyone thinking that Easterby is now taking a back seat to Caserio...

The BIG losers in all of this? The fans. Get used to the Texans being the worst run franchise in the NFL for the foreseeable future.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Pretty much how I see it. The owners of the Texans enjoy the company of their friends so much they hired them into the jobs with the most responsibilities regardless of qualifications, or lack thereof. Everything else is secondary to their friendship.

The BIG losers in all of this? The fans. Get used to the Texans being the worst run franchise in the NFL for the foreseeable future.
Perhaps.
Whichever way it goes, there is definitely a different philosophy in evidence and we have no option right now but to see how it pans out.
Personally, I see a huge improvement.
Ain't no way I want to go back to the way it was when Bill was here.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Perfect example of arm chair GMs.

They equate managing credit card debt as the successful way to run an NFL football franchise.

That’s their real life experience to running an NFL team.

Managing credit card debt is not equivalent to managing an NFL team.
I was replying to Texian's post.

I never said managing a NFL org was equivalent to managing credit card debt.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
I was replying to Texian's post.

I never said managing a NFL was equivalent to managing credit card debt.
Managing debt, is managing debt, is managing debt. Debt is debt, regardless of who and how much is owed. Some folks understand it, some folks do not. Those who can manage their debt will be more successful than those who cannot. Some folks will spend money like a drunk sailor or teenage girl at the Mall with Daddy's credit card. Others are more responsible, frugal and responsible. Caserio has had a GREAT time at the Mall of Houston with Daddy Cal's credit card. :)

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Managing debt, is managing debt, is managing debt. Debt is debt, regardless of who and how much is owed. Some folks understand it, some folks do not. Those who can manage their debt will be more successful than those who cannot. Some folks will spend money like a drunk sailor or teenage girl at the Mall with Daddy's credit card. Others are more responsible, frugal and responsible. Caserio has had a GREAT time at the Mall of Houston with Daddy Cal's credit card. :)
I don't think Caserio was spending like the new and unproven GM you're alluding to. He was handed a sack of shite and told to make a wedding cake.

I think he inherited a team that needed a complete make-over with little to no cap space and several players on cap killing contracts created by the OB group. Now, toss in a total shite storm created by your Franchise QB1 that not only eliminates him returning to the team in 2021 but may have killed the opportunity for Caserio and the Texans to trade hm for a boat load of picks.

I also believe there was a bad culture permeating throughout this organization.....from the FO down to the players. So, rolling with this culture for another season would've been the absolute definition of insanity, "doing the same thing over and over while hoping for different results". My guess, Caserio sat down with Cal (and Easterby) and told Cal straight-up, this is going to get really ugly before it gets better. This situation reminds me of when Gas Monkey goes out and finds a great car, pays top dollar, then gets into the full restoration and finds out the car is ate up with rust and loaded with bondo.....not exactly what he was expecting and the cost went up.

This overall situation is why I mentioned, Caserio may be preparing for Watson to be suspended for the first 6 games and his value could return to top dollar before the 2021 Trade Deadline. He could enter the 2022 NFL Draft with many more assets.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Once Bob McNair passed away, it is clear that the Houston Texans devolved into one of the worst run franchises in the NFL. I don't see that changing any time soon.

The results will ultimately speak for themselves. I don't expect to see a winning record, much less the highly coveted goal of a division 'championship', for many, many years to come.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Once Bob McNair passed away, it is clear that the Houston Texans devolved into one of the worst run franchises in the NFL. I don't see that changing any time soon.

The results will ultimately speak for themselves. I don't expect to see a winning record, much less the highly coveted goal of a division 'championship', for many, many years to come.
They were poorly ran when Bob McNair was alive.

Texian

Hall of Fame
It will be interesting to see how much cap space we have left after he trims the roster down to the required 53.
I wonder if you can theoretically go over the cap now, then trim that back further to be under when the required cut off time arrives? I'm thinking yes because I thought he went over a couple times during recent the recent hiring spree?
Today's salary cap (right now) is figured on the top 51 salaries. You can not be over the cap. If they go over the cap and do not rectify it immediately, the NFL will do it for them.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They were poorly ran when Bob McNair was alive.
I think there were still worst run organizations when Bob was still around. Maybe not many? . . .but at least it had the semblance of a franchise that could trend upward.

With Cal, he's racing to ensure that the Texans are at the top of that list. There's no hiding his fat man behind the curtain. That brick road is yellow because of pee pee.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm of the opinion that the more you embrace the suck in 2021 the better 2022 and 2023 will be. See Jags and Jets.
Jags & Jets haven’t done anything with the wealth they’ve accumulated from their suck. They’ve both been in similar positions before & it has amounted to nothing. Chances are they’ll continue with their suck.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
For those that prefer pictures over words:

For you other people:

An NFL team is different from a business because it just can’t fire its QB and expect the punter or even NC to throw the ball to save money. A business can fire/layoff an employee and expect the remaining employee(s) to do more work or the owner themself will do it. An individual can choose not to spend on a credit card. A NFL team can’t choose to not spend money on players like Donald Sterling and the Clippers.

There are rules preventing this. They have to spend a certain percentage of the cap with an allowable portion to be rolled over. If they don’t stay within these guidelines they get penalized.

Either way you slice it - running an NFL team isn’t like managing credit card debt. Not all debts, or expenses when we are talking payroll, are the same.

When a person understands these fundamental and elementary principles they will see that jumping to conclusions about NC 2-3 months in on his job makes that person very “special.”

Or it shows that the person now has free reign to spout their “chicken little sky is falling” agenda.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
A little off topic, but with a 17th regular season game, expanded playoffs, & covid reality I wonder if they’ll stick with 53

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
As much as it might irk some in this forum, once Rick Smith left it was all downhill from there.
Add in Bob passing and Bill O'Brien schmoozing his way into favour and Boom - instant disaster.
12 yrs said they weren't winning a championship with RS running things and 1 yr with BOB was enough to know they weren't going to win anything. The Texans biggest problem other than ownership (The real problem) is that they haven't had a competent GM since their inception. Hopefully this changes under Caserio.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think there were still worst run organizations when Bob was still around. Maybe not many? . . .but at least it had the semblance of a franchise that could trend upward.

With Cal, he's racing to ensure that the Texans are at the top of that list. There's no hiding his fat man behind the curtain. That brick road is yellow because of pee pee.
Quoted for truth

Liked for the Yellow Brick Road reference. Long Live Elton John.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Jags & Jets haven’t done anything with the wealth they’ve accumulated from their suck. They’ve both been in similar positions before & it has amounted to nothing. Chances are they’ll continue with their suck.
For starters they have improved their draft capital immensely and both will be dramatically better because of it. Not to mention the enormous amount of salary cap they managed to accumulate. It won't be long before the Urban Meyer, Trevor Lawrence, Robert Saleh and Zach Wilson are kicking some Texans butt.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I honestly thought the credit card example was more of a metaphor than an actual example. :um:

The NFL is certainly unlike any other business. Anti-trust exemptions. Publicly funded stadiums. Guaranteed revenue for all franchises. A minor league system with the NCAA that they do not have to pay for. Hero worship complex by society in general. Double standards for entertainers in general, especially if they are really good at passing, catching, & avoiding tackles while running. Loyal customer bases regardless of the product on the field.

Maybe a better metaphor would be a credit card paid by a vast trust fund left by a former Goldman Sachs executive. . .