Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
One of the first things Pioli did was big turnover in employees. Looks like Caserio is following suit, it's the Patriot Way.

"Since Scott Pioli was hired as general manager in January 2009, life for many inside the Chiefs’ front office has been marked by massive staff turnover, fear and insecurity about how closely they are watched. "
As long as they put a great product on the field in 3 yrs I really dont care who they hire and fire.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Caserio's first decision out of the gate is Dave Culley. So you got that going for you. :)

And you had such a good streak going.
Culley is the bridge HC.

I'm certainly not going to judge Caserio by how Culley does during a rebuilding period. You? What streak do I have going?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Culley is the bridge HC.

I'm certainly not going to judge Caserio by how Culley does during a rebuilding period. You? What streak do I have going?
You had it figured out so well since 2010.

I see Culley hire as a culmination of the clown show, the only HC who would agree to coach this dumpster fire.

I see Caserio's micromanagement of the coaching staff, FO firings, the Kirby Gulag as a remake of Pioli's Kansas City. It will be described as a culture change in the pursuit of excellence. It's all a Patriot thing and it's the only thing they know how to do. We've seen this show before. After the draft and passing on better players, it will be explained away as, we drafted players that were specific to our team and how they will be used.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
With Watson a 90% certainty of remaining HTown Texan, I am looking at ways they can make him feel more valued - besides the 2nd highest ever NFL contract - and that is to support him big time.
This can be accomplished by fixing the oline woes and getting him a bona fide running game.
Fixing the oline may be as easy as a better oline coach and that move is under way with the departure of Devlin. Will be interesting to see who they bring in.
Fournette and Yeldon are FAs now so let's see if either of these two bulls are targeted.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans sign OL Jordan Steckler

The Texans have signed offensive lineman Jordan Steckler to a one-year contract, according to his agent, Brett Tessler.

Steckler went undrafted out of Northern Illinois and signed with the New Orleans Saints last year.

Steckler (6-foot-5, 305 pounds) spent the majority of the season with the New England Patriots after being signed in October.

Steckler started 43 of 47 games played in college and played every position except for center.

He was a first-team All-Mid-American Conference selection in 2019 as a right tackle.

Steckler played collegiately with Texans left guard and former second-round draft pick Max Scharping.

Steckler was signed to a futures contract. Although it is mentioned that "he spent the majority of the season with the New England Patriots," it should be noted that he never took a snap for them.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
You had it figured out so well since 2010.

I see Culley hire as a culmination of the clown show, the only HC who would agree to coach this dumpster fire.

I see Caserio's micromanagement of the coaching staff, FO firings, the Kirby Gulag as a remake of Pioli's Kansas City. It will be described as a culture change in the pursuit of excellence. It's all a Patriot thing and it's the only thing they know how to do. We've seen this show before. After the draft and passing on better players, it will be explained away as, we drafted players that were specific to our team and how they will be used.
It remains to be seen if it turns out like Pioli or not but the fact is that everyone “running” this team from the owner to the choir/towel boy needed to be fired and start over.

I see any firings as a win and a step in the right direction.

Now fill them with the right people.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
It remains to be seen if it turns out like Pioli or not but the fact is that everyone “running” this team from the owner to the choir/towel boy needed to be fired and start over.

I believe only one person really needs to be fired and that would clean up most if not all of the mess.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Yep.

The one that will probably never go away.

If you want to buy the team I’m always willing to pitch in.
So we are just wasting away, wallowing in the mire, participating in an exercise of futility. I have already been down that road as an Atlanta Falcons season ticket holder from 1985 - 2005. Then like now it boiled down to a bone head meddling owner. As Yogi said, this is deja vu all over again.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
So we are just wasting away, wallowing in the mire, participating in an exercise of futility. I have already been down that road as an Atlanta Falcons season ticket holder from 1985 - 2005. Then like now it boiled down to a bone head meddling owner. As Yogi said, this is deja vu all over again.
Still my team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

They just didn't go far enough with the housecleaning/firings. Same as when Kubiak was fired. They should've totally cleaned house. History is repeating itself.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
More like the San Antonio Suckage, if it still had the same cap issues, no draft picks, a whiny, diva I don't want to play here anymore QB, and the Patriot Way still with its fingerprint all over it.
Yeah I agree, but see, we can't lure another franchise to H-town while this circus is in town. So, we'll need to go ahead and move this one along with hopeless scorn and detrimental ridicule until it happens.

Maybe the third time will be the charm for this city. lol :goodluck:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
For now the Texans deserve nothing but scorn and derision. Some of it's the Texans fault, as they are a horrid organization. Some of it's Watson's fault for being a spoiled millionaire crybaby athlete. This team is so screwed right now it's actually humourous. I can't possibly imagine this sort of disfunction amounting to anything but a comic sideshow for the rest of the NFL.

The worst days of the Oilers are upon us again. :bag:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Some of it's the Texans fault, as they are a horrid organization.
I may be in the minority but I don't believe this. The last couple of years has been interesting...

But Andrew Luck retired basically for the same thing.

Or Dak, same thing.

Cousins & Washington, same thing.

Players approaching it differently, but basically the same thing

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I hope you're right @thunderkyss

I hope the Texans turn it around with this new regime. But for me, I'll believe it only when I see it.
It's hard to see it right now. & like I said our situation is different because of the way Watson has decided to address the situation.

But, look at the Colts now. Not too bad.

Look at the way Hopkins handled his situation. Held out one day, but then came back & put up an all pro season. Slim chance, but it's possible that's where Watson is. He may have no intention of sitting out, but he knows trading him this season isn't going to be easy either, especially if he wants to get to a contender. If he'll be happy going to dysfunctional NYJets or Miami, it would probably be a done deal already. But the Texans just gave him $27M & expect to pay him $16M this season. He knows that's not coming for free.

badboy

Hall of Fame
For now the Texans deserve nothing but scorn and derision. Some of it's the Texans fault, as they are a horrid organization. Some of it's Watson's fault for being a spoiled millionaire crybaby athlete. This team is so screwed right now it's actually humourous. I can't possibly imagine this sort of disfunction amounting to anything but a comic sideshow for the rest of the NFL.

The worst days of the Oilers are upon us again. :bag:
31 NFL teams hoping no one remembers something about them that fingers can be pointed and derisive laughter sent their Direction.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Texans sign OL Jordan Steckler

The Texans have signed offensive lineman Jordan Steckler to a one-year contract, according to his agent, Brett Tessler.

Steckler went undrafted out of Northern Illinois and signed with the New Orleans Saints last year.

Steckler (6-foot-5, 305 pounds) spent the majority of the season with the New England Patriots after being signed in October.

Steckler started 43 of 47 games played in college and played every position except for center.

He was a first-team All-Mid-American Conference selection in 2019 as a right tackle.

Steckler played collegiately with Texans left guard and former second-round draft pick Max Scharping.

Steckler was signed to a futures contract. Although it is mentioned that "he spent the majority of the season with the New England Patriots," it should be noted that he never took a snap for them.
Looks like they found their new center. :sarcasm:

:coffee:

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I may be in the minority but I don't believe this. The last couple of years has been interesting...

But Andrew Luck retired basically for the same thing.

Or Dak, same thing.

Cousins & Washington, same thing.

Players approaching it differently, but basically the same thing
How are Deshaun's and Luck or Dak's situations 'basically the same thing'?

Luck left football from wear and tear, not just the Colts as an organization. And Dallas just hasn't wanted to commit top dollar to Dak for the long haul. The Texans absolutely did so with DW.

So that pretty much just leaves comparing us to the WFT..

ya..

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How are Deshaun's and Luck or Dak's situations 'basically the same thing'?

Luck left football from wear and tear, not just the Colts as an organization. And Dallas just hasn't wanted to commit top dollar to Dak for the long haul. The Texans absolutely did so with DW.

So that pretty much just leaves comparing us to the WFT..

ya..
We're going to have to learn how to move forward with QBs who either didn't want to or couldn't play for our team. Dak not wanting to settle for what the Cowboys wanted to pay him may be a bit of a stretch, but he's working his way out of Dallas none the less, unless they up the ante.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
We're going to have to learn how to move forward with QBs who either didn't want to or couldn't play for our team. Dak not wanting to settle for what the Cowboys wanted to pay him may be a bit of a stretch, but he's working his way out of Dallas none the less, unless they up the ante.
Those situation weren't because they're horrid organizations though.. that was the point to begin with.

'Stuff' happens, sure. But a lot more 'stuff' happens to organizations that don't have a clue how to navigate around it.

A team can learn to deal with one situation or the other, but if you're that team who just can't not step in the 'stuff', well there's no learning how to deal with that.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Cal doubling down on stupid .... I really can't understand how he can't see Easterby is bad for his business.
I think Cal is insulated from all of it. He most likely lives in his own little billionaire bubble and has surrounded himself with yes-men.

I think the ONLY thing that will make Cal see anything is if PSL holders give up en masse and that famed waiting list dries up.

Otherwise, I honestly don't think he's even aware of 99.9% of what fans and the media says.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Those situation weren't because they're horrid organizations though.. that was the point to begin with.
I don't believe this is a horrid organization.

I believe the team is screwed up because they tried everything they could to make Bill O'Brien successful. If I were a coach, I'd love that.

I don't know why Watson wants out. But the crap taking up the conversation now just doesn't make sense. For instance, Rootes wants out because he wasn't included in the GM search. Bob McNair never asked him to help with the GM search.

Like I've said in other posts. This stuff they're talking about with Easterby doesn't affect the play on the field. The locker room guy. The PR exec. The guy who raises season ticket prices after a 2-14 season.

I'm worried about what Nick does.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I don't believe this is a horrid organization.

I believe the team is screwed up because they tried everything they could to make Bill O'Brien successful. If I were a coach, I'd love that.

I don't know why Watson wants out. But the crap taking up the conversation now just doesn't make sense. For instance, Rootes wants out because he wasn't included in the GM search. Bob McNair never asked him to help with the GM search.

Like I've said in other posts. This stuff they're talking about with Easterby doesn't affect the play on the field. The locker room guy. The PR exec. The guy who raises season ticket prices after a 2-14 season.

I'm worried about what Nick does.
Cal asked Jamey to be part of the GM search. Nothing to do with Bob McNair.

Guys getting overpaid longterm contracts or talented guys getting shipped out of town for no real good reason affects play on the field. And I know you think Easterby is harmless and that's fine. I disagree as there's just too much smoke and I've met dude's with that exact mo. But agreeing to disagree is ok too.

Ultimately this franchise has done the square root of f*ck all to earn any benefit of the doubt. They've been a mountain of calamitous decisions one after the next after the next. Whether you think it's the boardroom mentality or Cal or Easterby or whatever this organization has built nothing even resembling good will or an actual plan of success that has shown any bearing of fruit beyond the odd squirrel finding a nut scenario.

Defend away though bud. Honestly I respect that you wanna see them succeed just as much as I do. We just don't agree at all on if that can happen intentionally or not.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
So we have a new character coach eh? Hilarious amount of friends helping out friends these days....of course that is what the NFL really is so....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/11/texans-hire-jack-easterby-ally-dylan-thompson-as-character-coach/
The Texans needed a Ying & Yang approach to properly balance the character coaching going on in Houston. Maybe even a Good Cop / Bad Cop. One calls mama...the other says the bastard shouldn't have done that...something along these lines.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

'Stuff' happens, sure. But a lot more 'stuff' happens to organizations that don't have a clue how to navigate around it.

A team can learn to deal with one situation or the other, but if you're that team who just can't not step in the 'stuff', well there's no learning how to deal with that.
This team has been built incorrectly from the inception. History has repeated itself and losing DW4 isn't going to kill the franchise. It's going to force another badly needed rebuild and for that I'm thankful.

There's going to be a couple of rough yrs but they will be better in the long run if they get the rebuild right. What amazes me is most fans couldn't pick Caserio out of a lineup but they've already decided he's going to fail. The media opinions sure does carry alot of weight for some fans. Cal has made his choices, I would've hired Dorsey, but Caserio certainly wasn't a bad choice. It is what it is and I for 1 hope Caserio gets the rebuild right and the Texans org reaches new heights. Do I expect this happen? Nope, but atleast there's a punchers chance.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Cal asked Jamey to be part of the GM search. N
I don't think we can trust the words coming out of Cal's mouth. He said Dungy was going to be on his committee. Dungy said point blank he's not on any committee.

But my point is Rootes ain't even been asked before. If he was asked, that's an "improvement" maybe next time they'll consider his input (if there was going to be a next time). But I highly doubt if he goes to another team, he'll have any input on GM.

I've met dude's with that exact mo
My experience is in hiring dudes to do a job & people trying to force my hand in how that person is treated. I understand & promote team work, but I treat people according to the job I ask them to do.

I hate cliques. & I hate cliques trying to manipulate me.

I don't know what's going on on Kirby. But I know we're hearing one side of the story & the powers that be continuing on their track. It doesn't matter what I think but I think it's clear what Cal thinks.