Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Texansballer74

The Marine

The NFL and players union agreed to a virtual offseason program on Monday. And in order for it to end, every state with a franchise must lift its COVID-19 rest...

Earl34

Hall of Fame
That darn Rick Smith!!! (shaking fist in the air)

If you redo the 2013 draft, Hopkins goes top 10 or even 5. There were some duds (Warmack, Austin, Mingo, Jordan, Milliner) in the top ten.

Looking at the list, it appears the majority of players are not on the teams that drafted them. I guess picking players in the first round is not as easy as some would lead us to believe.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
If you redo the 2013 draft, Hopkins goes top 10 or even 5. There were some duds (Warmack, Austin, Mingo, Jordan, Milliner) in the top ten.

Looking at the list, it appears the majority of players are not on the teams that drafted them. I guess picking players in the first round is not as easy as some would lead us to believe.

i've gone through the motions posting success rates for GMs during the Rick Smith seasons compared to his contemporaries, posted relevant summaries from other social media platforms that show he was actually one of the best GMs in finding talent, and at the very least being successful with the most important picks, and finding guys off the street, but you know its just easier to say he's the devil. LOL.

Its still makes me smile when I see that he gets the lions share of the blame.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

i've gone through the motions posting success rates for GMs during the Rick Smith seasons compared to his contemporaries, posted relevant summaries from other social media platforms that show he was actually one of the best GMs in finding talent, and at the very least being successful with the most important picks, and finding guys off the street, but you know its just easier to say he's the devil. LOL.

Its still makes me smile when I see that he gets the lions share of the blame.
And yet he can't get another GM job.

He's not the devil, he just wasn't very good at his job.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That only lists transactions. Hyde is a free agent now, so him being gone would not fall under "Traded" or "Acquired".
After Hyde is cut, like he was going to be before he was traded to the Texans do you think he might consider re-signin with the Texans?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m not sure I understand your question. After he’s cut? Cut from where? He’s a free agent now.
When he signs with another team there's a good chance he could be cut like what was going to happen with the Chiefs.

RGV82

Random guy
When he signs with another team there's a good chance he could be cut like what was going to happen with the Chiefs.
I am not sure why we would even consider wanting him back, as long as we have David and Duke Johnson here. If David goes down with injury, I would take Carlos Hyde back in a second at a reduced salary.

Uncle Rico

Houston

• The Texans sent their first round pick (#26) to the Dolphins for Tunsil.
  • Houston bolstered their draft capital (but hurt their team) by trading DeAndre Hopkins and gaining Arizona’s 2nd round pick (40th overall) in the process. However, the Texans also traded their own 2nd round pick (57th overall) for Brandin Cooks.
  • Houston had picked up a 3rd round pick for Seattle in the Jadeveon Clowney trade, but they lost that pick when they traded it to the Raiders for Conley.
  • Houston had picked up a 3rd round comp pick for letting Tyrann Mathieu go — who proceeded to have an All-Pro season and win a Super Bowl — but the Texans lost that pick by trading for Duke Johnson.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

In other words, this summarizes the feeling that the Texans keep taking one step forward and two steps backwards.

Uncle Rico

In other words, this summarizes the feeling that the Texans keep taking one step forward and two steps backwards.
Yup.

I thought it was more poignant to the draftniks who kept running around saying that the Texans were still in "good shape" in this draft (remember "they have 7 picks and its a deep draft and YADA YADA YADA)even after not having any first round draft picks for the next few years and getting fleeced in every transaction that OBrien has been in charge of.

Just thought I'd add some visual aids - be nice if they offered it in pop up book form it might help some.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The draft is only a week away. Sure is a lack of chatter on who should be our pick at 40. Let's see some action over on the draft thread.
The lack of enthusiasm comes from the Texans unpredictability. The fans don't know if the pick is going to be dealt for another vet. Once the fans got over the Hopkins trade and settled in for the draft, O'Brien chunks a 2nd for Cooks. The fans don't feel that O'Brien values the draft as much as they do.

Uncle Rico

The lack of enthusiasm comes from the Texans unpredictability. The fans don't know if the pick is going to be dealt for another vet. Once the fans got over the Hopkins trade and settled in for the draft, O'Brien chunks a 2nd for Cooks. The fans don't feel that O'Brien values the draft as much as they do.
LOL thank you.

Once the ash settled from the Nuk disaster .. people were like "okay .. so now we have TWO 2nd rounders" and the gears start working - only to have that SOLE redeeming factor taken away in the Brandin Cooks fiasco. You couldnt make this stuff up its like a worse version of Draft Day with Kevin Costner (and that movie was astoundingly bad).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Unless they haven't.

Let's let the rest of the offseason/season play out before making this judgement. Imagine id Cooks/DJ stay healthy and they get a differencemaker on the defense at 40. Would you then say the Nuke trade was a good trade?

I would because you would have more speed at wr and Cooks is a really good WR. Plus an all pro RB and a differencemaker on defense. That's great value for Nuk. IMHO

If this happens fans still wont admit it because of their love for Nuk.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I obviously do not understand what that graph is trying to tell us. On one end you have the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs. On the other end you have the Bengals. After all the crap BO'b (whom I abhor) has done, we're still much closer to KC than the Bengals??

Uncle Rico

I obviously do not understand what that graph is trying to tell us. On one end you have the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs. On the other end you have the Bengals. After all the crap BO'b (whom I abhor) has done, we're still much closer to KC than the Bengals??
I can only deduce that the Super Bowl winners given that they are awarded the 32nd pick in the draft are given a tough draft card to play while the team that has the #1 pick might be given a little more weight. You see the Dolphins waaaaaayy up there? I'll give you one chance to guess what that means. LOL.

So yes, after all the crap NO'Brien has done we are much closer to the Chiefs in weighted draft value at least in the formula this outlet uses except that we didnt have a parade, and we dont have a shiny trophy to call our own.

RGV82

Random guy
I can only deduce that the Super Bowl winners given that they are awarded the 32nd pick in the draft are given a tough draft card to play while the team that has the #1 pick might be given a little more weight. You see the Dolphins waaaaaayy up there? I'll give you one chance to guess what that means. LOL.

So yes, after all the crap NO'Brien has done we are much closer to the Chiefs in weighted draft value at least in the formula this outlet uses except that we didnt have a parade, and we dont have a shiny trophy to call our own.
Read this out loud to yourself and you will realize it makes no sense.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You see the Dolphins waaaaaayy up there? I'll give you one chance to guess what that means. LOL.
Took me a minute, but I got it now. The black line between the Chiefs & Bengals is the baseline for each team. Teams like the Chiefs & Bengals who haven’t affected their draft capital are on the line meaning they’re no better or worse draft value wise than their 2019 season record afforded.

Teams who have improved their draft value move up vertically (I was looking for horizontal movement). Miami, Minnesota, Jacksonville.

Teams who will be picking below their 2019 record move down verticall: Texans, Saints, Steelers. Basically another “teams that win in March” graphic.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Took me a minute, but I got it now. The black line between the Chiefs & Bengals is the baseline for each team. Teams like the Chiefs & Bengals who haven’t affected their draft capital are on the line meaning they’re no better or worse draft value wise than their 2019 season record afforded.

Teams who have improved their draft value move up vertically (I was looking for horizontal movement). Miami, Minnesota, Jacksonville.

Teams who will be picking below their 2019 record move down verticall: Texans, Saints, Steelers. Basically another “teams that win in March” graphic.
Yup. I think the reason this was posted was to show the Texans (along with the Bills, Bears & Steelers), have the lowest draft capital this upcoming draft. Contradicting those few that keep saying we are "fine" in regards to draft picks.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
"Bill OBrien Aint going nowhere!!!!" ... neither is Deshaun Watson LOL.

According to OB maybe …. but Watson hasn't signed an extension keeping him in a Texans uniform yet …. and if I were him , I wouldn't. No way no how with this clown as GM , HE and OC.

I'd be on the first train outa here …. another team would offer me just as many dollars and a real shot at winning Lombardi's instead of topping out at AFC championships.

RGV82

Random guy
When you have zero skill at developing young players.

or any player.
Yup. BOB loves acquiring the established players from other teams, and using them EXACTLY how they were used on the previous team. No idea how to conform them to a different system. It just goes to show what proper coaching and development can do for a team. Look at a guy like Alvin Kamara. A 3rd round pick in 2017 and now a 3 time Pro Bowler.... if BOB had drafted him he would probably be on the practice roster or released by now.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Yup. BOB loves acquiring the established players from other teams, and using them EXACTLY how they were used on the previous team. No idea how to conform them to a different system. It just goes to show what proper coaching and development can do for a team. Look at a guy like Alvin Kamara. A 3rd round pick in 2017 and now a 3 time Pro Bowler.... if BOB had drafted him he would probably be on the practice roster or released by now.
First down and Kamara up the middle.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
According to OB maybe …. but Watson hasn't signed an extension keeping him in a Texans uniform yet …. and if I were him , I wouldn't. No way no how with this clown as GM , HE and OC.

I'd be on the first train outa here …. another team would offer me just as many dollars and a real shot at winning Lombardi's instead of topping out at AFC championships.
I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but we're talking about a potential $200 million contract, over half guaranteed. When you are a young QB, still playing on a rookie deal, it's hard not to sign it. You could be a major knee injury away from turning into RGIII. Besides, guys like Billy Oh will eventually flame out. This is year 7 for O'Brien. He has some slack in his leash. But not 5 years, like Watson's potential deal. Deshaun can wait this out, if it comes to that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

This would be a positive.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yup. I think the reason this was posted was to show the Texans (along with the Bills, Bears & Steelers), have the lowest draft capital this upcoming draft. Contradicting those few that keep saying we are "fine" in regards to draft picks.
Tunsil is their 1st round pick this year.

Does that help sooth your feelings?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My opinion is that line of thinking overvalues first round picks. That graph is only looking at first round picks, not the whole draft. It's really a waste of a person's time to put it together, post it, study it, or figure out what it's trying to say.

The table below shows the pick in the first round each team earned based on its 2019 performance

dream_team

Hall of Fame
My opinion is that line of thinking overvalues first round picks. That graph is only looking at first round picks, not the whole draft. It's really a waste of a person's time to put it together, post it, study it, or figure out what it's trying to say.
Now I don't understand the graph? haha. If the graph is only looking at first round picks, why do we have ANY value at all?

dream_team

Hall of Fame

RGV82

Random guy
Took this out of the WalterFootball site. This is spot on, you can not sum up this off season any better than this:

Houston Texans (11-7) - Previously: 16.
"I hope everyone knows by now how much Bill O'Brien sucks. New owner Cal McNair doesn't, opting to give O'Brien even more power this year. O'Brien is a bad coach and worse decision-maker, and yet he styles himself as Bill Belichick. If O'Brien wasn't lucky enough to have Deshaun Watson carry him these past couple of years, he'd be out of a job by now."

I wrote this BEFORE the DeAndre Hopkins trade. Can anyone in Houston please get McNair's attention and direct him to this Web site so that he finally comes to his senses and fires O'Brien?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but we're talking about a potential $200 million contract, over half guaranteed. When you are a young QB, still playing on a rookie deal, it's hard not to sign it. You could be a major knee injury away from turning into RGIII. Besides, guys like Billy Oh will eventually flame out. This is year 7 for O'Brien. He has some slack in his leash. But not 5 years, like Watson's potential deal. Deshaun can wait this out, if it comes to that.

Any other franchise and I'd probably agree with you - eventually 9-7 to 11-5 a division championship and a playoff flame out year after year would eventually get a coach fired.

Not with the Texans. It takes a catastrophic failure for this ownership group to make changes. They've been totally embarrassed in the playoffs back to back years … One of those at home , the other after leading 24-0.
It takes 2-14 type seasons for the McNair's to go another direction.

If Watson stays , he'll drag OB's sorry ass to mediocrity and we'll be stuck with stupid for the duration. Watson does have his work cut out for him this season …. the defense being terribad and the offense highly suspect minus the leagues best WR.

We aint getting rid of OB anytime soon if Watson drags his sorry ass to the playoffs every year.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Took this out of the WalterFootball site. This is spot on, you can not sum up this off season any better than this:

Houston Texans (11-7) - Previously: 16.
"I hope everyone knows by now how much Bill O'Brien sucks. New owner Cal McNair doesn't, opting to give O'Brien even more power this year. O'Brien is a bad coach and worse decision-maker, and yet he styles himself as Bill Belichick. If O'Brien wasn't lucky enough to have Deshaun Watson carry him these past couple of years, he'd be out of a job by now."

I wrote this BEFORE the DeAndre Hopkins trade. Can anyone in Houston please get McNair's attention and direct him to this Web site so that he finally comes to his senses and fires O'Brien?
Now you know once Bill reads this he will find away to get rid of Watson. Man just to show the writer he doesn’t need Watson. Lol