Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

Collins will be the WR1 going forward….he simply proved himself more than capable. Dell is the complimentary WR2, which was never up for debate before his injury.

New WR3 and WR4 should be the targets in the draft or free agency. Hutchinson and Metchie couldn’t break coverage. Brown and Woods had their moments, but their injuries ruled the season.

I’d like to add Brenden Rice (USC) and Luke McCaffrey (Rice) to fill these complimentary roles and they come with rookie contracts.

Collins will be the WR1 going forward….he simply proved himself more than capable. Dell is the complimentary WR2, which was never up for debate before his injury.

New WR3 and WR4 should be the targets in the draft or free agency. Hutchinson and Metchie couldn’t break coverage. Brown and Woods had their moments, but their injuries ruled the season.

I’d like to add Brenden Rice (USC) and Luke McCaffrey (Rice) to fill these complimentary roles and they come with rookie contracts.
I am all over Brendan Rice also however I am trying to get away from these classifications as wide receiver 1 2 or 3 and cornerback1 or 2. I want the best out there at each position. If that is Nico Collins and Tank and Devante or AJ Brown or whomever, I think CJ will get the ball to the open guy.

I am all over Brendan Rice also however I am trying to get away from these classifications as wide receiver 1 2 or 3 and cornerback1 or 2. I want the best out there at each position. If that is Nico Collins and Tank and Devante or AJ Brown or whomever, I think CJ will get the ball to the open guy.

Knowing that the Texans are in a great position to add WR’s b/c of the depth of this draft….I’d be hard pressed to give the big money to WR’s like Adams and Brown.

Count me as one, along with a few others on this board, that would like to see Caserio and Ryans make a bonafide pitch to DT- Chris Jones (KC) about coming over and joining the Texans. I suspect Jones would cost the Texans 30M annually at minimum….the big question, what would him and his agent be expecting in regards to years? I’d hope for an okay at 3 years with a heavy front loaded contract at signing. Adding Jones to this defense would be a massive upgrade to the front seven…..more so (IMHO) than what Adams or Brown do to supplant Collins as the top target.

Or better, Jer'Zhan Newton!
Teach the rook some tricks of the trade.
I don't see Newton dropping that low and I would rather have a young vet free agent in a spot and save a draft pick for another position. Chris Jones would make all players on the defense better like Stroud does for the offense.
On a side note, I
saw article not long ago : the Jaguars General Manager stated that he wants Josh Allen to return. Fan response to that was hysterical laughter as they do not see Allen returning.

Knowing that the Texans are in a great position to add WR’s b/c of the depth of this draft….I’d be hard pressed to give the big money to WR’s like Adams and Brown.

Count me as one, along with a few others on this board, that would like to see Caserio and Ryans make a bonafide pitch to DT- Chris Jones (KC) about coming over and joining the Texans. I suspect Jones would cost the Texans 30M annually at minimum….the big question, what would him and his agent be expecting in regards to years? I’d hope for an okay at 3 years with a heavy front loaded contract at signing. Adding Jones to this defense would be a massive upgrade to the front seven…..more so (IMHO) than what Adams or Brown do to supplant Collins as the top target.
Adams going nowhere and AJ Brown is ridiculously cheap next two seasons for a 1500 yard WR.

Contracts can be worked for player to get GTD $ he wants and cap to be low in 2024.

6-8 million cap hits for several FAs this year.

APY is misleading term.

Jones will probably want 4 years guaranteed with a 5th year option starting at 25 mil per year but could go up to 30 per year.

You're looking at 125 mil with 100 guaranteed.

After watching the 4 championship teams, the Texans have some work to do to mix it with those teams.
I think we can be as good as the Lions next season but I think we are still two seasons away from serious contention.
If they add talent and made a jump as big as they did this year then like Stroud said they will have enough in the room to beat anybody. Imagine if they added Jones to the defense and added weapons through the draft for Stroud.

After watching the 4 championship teams, the Texans have some work to do to mix it with those teams.
I think we can be as good as the Lions next season but I think we are still two seasons away from serious contention.
I thought the Texans game against the Ravens would go the way the Chiefs/Ravens game did. We just didn't get out on top & build a lead. If we had, I think... I still think, the Texans would have spanked the Ravens.

AJ Brown 27 June this year with almost 1500 yards in each of last 2 seasons with a cap hit in 2024 of only ~ $12 m IF he earns 1/2 m bonus for each game. Ridiculously cheap for that player. Post June 1st trade allows Eagles to absorb '24 dead then remainder in '25. Of course they would prefer to avoid that but I'm not too sure that is going to happen.
Chris Jones turns 30 in July. I have no concerns of offering him a 5-year deal. A 34-year-old defensive tackle year five is not necessarily an issue. I would want to keep the upcoming season as low as possible to add other players and then hit higher dollars in subsequent years. Don't forget we can offer him a roster bonus in the last year of a new contract and then change it to a signing bonus to prorate that amount. That would be good for the player and the team if necessary.
We do not have to make it an either or between Brown and Jones as we can afford both plus additional players.

Like Campbell said, next year will be totally different. It’s not just players and coaches. Yeah, we’ll get our prime time games, but we’ll have much tougher schedule, and teams will be gunning for us. This “one or two years away” thing is a croc.

Jones will probably want 4 years guaranteed with a 5th year option starting at 25 mil per year but could go up to 30 per year.

You're looking at 125 mil with 100 guaranteed.
I'm looking for deal similar to Aaron Donald's 6 year contract.

I'm looking for deal similar to Aaron Donald's 6 year contract.
I'm looking more at bringing Justin Madubuike home. He's proven he's not another oKoye. Probably get him and keep Rankins for around 35- 37 mil. Let Greenard walk (Which I dont think they will do) and sign Barnett. Have a nice DT rotation, keep Sanders and draft a developmental Edge like Okie Amona in the 4th or 5th rd after trading down once in the 4th.

I thought the Texans game against the Ravens would go the way the Chiefs/Ravens game did. We just didn't get out on top & build a lead. If we had, I think... I still think, the Texans would have spanked the Ravens.
They were in the game at the start of the 4th qtr, despite the offense only scoring 3 points.

I'm looking more at bringing Justin Madubuike home. He's proven he's not another oKoye. Probably get him and keep Rankins for around 35- 37 mil. Let Greenard walk (Which I dont think they will do) and sign Barnett. Have a nice DT rotation, keep Sanders and draft a developmental Edge like Okie Amona in the 4th or 5th rd after trading down once in the 4th.
Something like this is probably what will occur.

Back