Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

Here is the current roster from texans.com.

Offense -- 26 Players

WR: Noah Brown -- Nico Collins -- Tank Dell -- Xavier Hutchinson -- John Metchie III -- Robert Woods
C/G: Michael Deiter -- Juice Scruggs
G: Nick Broeker -- Dieter Eiselen -- Shaq Mason
RB: Mike Boone -- Dare Ogunbowale -- Dameon Pierce -- Devin Singletary
TE: Brevin Jordan -- Eric Saubert -- Dalton Schultz
T: George Fant -- Charlie Heck -- Josh Jones -- Laremy Tunsil
FB: Andrew Beck
QB: Case Keenum -- Davis Mills -- C.J. Stroud

Defense -- 25 Players

S: DeAndre Houston-Carson -- Jalen Pitre -- Jimmie Ward
LB: Blake Cashman -- Jake Hansen -- Christian Harris -- Neville Hewitt -- Denzel Perryman -- Henry To'oTo'o
DE: Will Anderson Jr. -- Derek Barnett -- Jonathan Greenard -- Jerry Hughes -- Kerry Hyder Jr. -- Myjai Sanders
CB: Ka'dar Hollman -- Desmond King II -- Steven Nelson -- D'Angelo Ross -- Derek Stingley Jr. -- Tavierre Thomas
DT: Maliek Collins -- Khalil Davis -- Kurt Hinish -- Sheldon Rankins

Special Teams -- 2 Players

LS: Jon Weeks
P: Cameron Johnston
I think there is a good chance that Laramie Tunsil could go out injured this game and we would be hard-pressed. I guess that Fant would go to left tackle and Heck would start at right tackle?

This could be a excellent time for Denzel Perryman to have a great game.
Hughes, Malik Collins and Sheldon Rankins need to revert to productive again.

Here is the current practice squad. For some reason they always show 17 players.

Offense -- 8 Players

WR: Alex Bachman -- Johnny Johnson III -- Steven Sims -- Jared Wayne
TE: Dalton Keene
RB: J.J. Taylor
T: Jaylon Thomas
C: Jimmy Morrissey

Defense -- 8 Players

LB: Garret Wallow
S: Brady Breeze -- Brandon Hill
CB: Kris Boyd
DE: Ali Gaye -- Adedayo Odeleye
DT: Rashard Lawrence
DB: Marcell Harris

Special Teams -- 1 Players

K: Matt Ammendola

I think there is a good chance that Laramie Tunsil could go out injured this game and we would be hard-pressed. I guess that Fant would go to left tackle and Heck would start at right tackle?

This could be a excellent time for Denzel Perryman to have a great game.
Hughes, Malik Collins and Sheldon Rankins need to revert to productive again.
Why do you think Tunsil will go down? If he does Jones will probably replace Tunsil. At least that's what happened earlier this yr.

Why do you think Tunsil will go down? If he does Jones will probably replace Tunsil. At least that's what happened earlier this yr.
Tunsil's knee had him playing his worse game ever last Sunday according to radio commentator and I doubt he is much better with few days off.
I do not think Josh Jones hand is ready for him to be much of a replacement but I could be wrong on that. I hope Tunsil is able to play much better and Fant can remain at right tackle.

Tunsil's knee had him playing his worse game ever last Sunday according to radio commentator and I doubt he is much better with few days off.
I do not think Josh Jones hand is ready for him to be much of a replacement but I could be wrong on that. I hope Tunsil is able to play much better and Fant can remain at right tackle.
Jones hurt his hand in week 2 I believe. If it's still hurt then there's an issue and he shouldn't be on the roster. This is a question for CnD.

With Stroud back there, we don't have to worry too much about the passing game - getting the ground game going should be the highest priority for BSlow at this point.

He needs a RB well versed in a WCO system and a ZBS would be nice as well. Likely would have to be a draft pick however. We have not had great luck with veteran RBs very often. Plus, I would rather pay 1mil for 3 to 4 years than 10 for 3 to 4...just saying as examples

Looks like Zach Ertz wants to sign with a contender. He will want to be paid obviously but can he run block in a WCO?
Might be worth having here if so.
Not saying we are contenders, but a piece here and there will get us closer and If Ertz can block in a WCO, our Offense will be among the contenders.
That might be all we need to keep our D fresh.

Looks like Zach Ertz wants to sign with a contender. He will want to be paid obviously but can he run block in a WCO?
Might be worth having here if so.
Not saying we are contenders, but a piece here and there will get us closer and If Ertz can block in a WCO, our Offense will be among the contenders.
That might be all we need to keep our D fresh.

If he was a good ZBS/WCO RB to play on a 2yr deal while we draft a starter then yes. But, why spend the money for a TE that is probably a draft target for day 2? 1mil vs 10mil. Now, Collins who was with Dallas at 6' 4" 320lbs is no question worth a look with Howard out and Tunsil banged up. Collins can play G and T. If I'm not mistaken he was a pro bowl level guy a year or two ago.

BSlow talks running game

Paraphrasing, we took a step back last week. Our rb wasn't hitting the hole and our ol wasn't blocking.

Having recognized the problem, now he just needs to address it.

I'm guessing we'll see more Singletary against the Broncos.

Scruggs having a full week of practice is self correcting. There should be steady week by week improvement at LG going forward.

Deiter we're stuck with him at center. He'll just have to suck it up and play better. I wonder, is he making the line calls?

If he was a good ZBS/WCO RB to play on a 2yr deal while we draft a starter then yes. But, why spend the money for a TE that is probably a draft target for day 2? 1mil vs 10mil. Now, Collins who was with Dallas at 6' 4" 320lbs is no question worth a look with Howard out and Tunsil banged up. Collins can play G and T. If I'm not mistaken he was a pro bowl level guy a year or two ago.
No he can't play either:

I liked La'el Collins in that draft.
Was a first rounder but due to that pending murder charge slipped way down and Dallas took a punt on him and got him in the 6th from memory. Turned into their starting right tackle.

Wouldn’t be a horrible look-see. Collins has been cleared to play after recovering from a 2022 ACL/MCL repair. The Bengals released him in a cap saving move. He’s been injured a lot, but he just might survive the remainder of this season….which means he could be a cheap rental for 2023.

Wouldn’t be a horrible look-see. Collins has been cleared to play after recovering from a 2022 ACL/MCL repair. The Bengals released him in a cap saving move. He’s been injured a lot, but he just might survive the remainder of this season….which means he could be a cheap rental for 2023.

Exactly why I would love to take a look 1 him.

Paraphrasing, we took a step back last week. Our rb wasn't hitting the hole and our ol wasn't blocking.

Having recognized the problem, now he just needs to address it.

I'm guessing we'll see more Singletary against the Broncos.

Scruggs having a full week of practice is self correcting. There should be steady week by week improvement at LG going forward.

Deiter we're stuck with him at center. He'll just have to suck it up and play better. I wonder, is he making the line calls?

Singletary knows the WCO system. DP doesn't. Which is why Singletary has had much better games than DP. I just think at this point DP should have picked it up. Seeing he hasn't, smart money is that he just can't process what he needs to do fast enough. I love DP, but I don't think he fits in a WCO. He just doesn't have the right skill set

I'd look to trade DP this offseason. If we could get the 4th we used on him...that would be a win. Not sure if he's going to draw that. Don't know what the market would be after such a bad year. He's got game...but just isn't fit for this offense. He's missing his keys and cutback lanes too often. He'd look good at Dallas, NE, and a few other spots.

For 2024, I'm looking in the 2nd-4th rounds for a true one-cut-and-go runner that fits this offense. In short, an Arian Foster type. If possible, I'd re-sign Singletary to be in the mix as well. And I also like Boone as my 3rd guy.

I'd look to trade DP this offseason. If we could get the 4th we used on him...that would be a win. Not sure if he's going to draw that. Don't know what the market would be after such a bad year. He's got game...but just isn't fit for this offense. He's missing his keys and cutback lanes too often. He'd look good at Dallas, NE, and a few other spots.

For 2024, I'm looking in the 2nd-4th rounds for a true one-cut-and-go runner that fits this offense. In short, an Arian Foster type. If possible, I'd re-sign Singletary to be in the mix as well. And I also like Boone as my 3rd guy.
Nick may look to swap his round peg square hole in DP for someone else's same situation. May be better value for both teams

I'm worried about the offense.

Denver is one of, if not the worst, run defenses in the league and they pretty much stuffed us outside of a nice run or 2 we pulled off.

On the passing side I'm worried because it just doesn't seem like things are running near as smooth as they were for a while there. For a while it seemed Stroud would hit the back of his drop and be getting the ball out pretty quick. Not so much these past few weeks. Not sure if he's missing reads, if the guys aren't open or what but it makes me nervous.

Denver is one of, if not the worst, run defenses in the league and they pretty much stuffed us outside of a nice run or 2 we pulled off.

On the passing side I'm worried because it just doesn't seem like things are running near as smooth as they were for a while there. For a while it seemed Stroud would hit the back of his drop and be getting the ball out pretty quick. Not so much these past few weeks. Not sure if he's missing reads, if the guys aren't open or what but it makes me nervous.

Outside of a couple of games, they haven't run the ball all season. Sure, it's a worry, but it's not something that just came to be.

We also have to understand that Stroud has a lot more tape for DCs to analyze now. They're going to make adjustments. It's up to Stroud/Slowik to adjust to those adjustments.

Make no mistake, Tank is a big loss but Collins is more than capable of big games, Brown has had some huge games, and Schultz could be a much bigger factor going forward.

What's more of a concern to me is the fact that CJ has been sacked 12 times in the last 3 games after just 8 sacks in the 7 games before that. That kind of pressure on top of very little run game is a big concern.

Outside of a couple of games, they haven't run the ball all season. Sure, it's a worry, but it's not something that just came to be.

We also have to understand that Stroud has a lot more tape for DCs to analyze now. They're going to make adjustments. It's up to Stroud/Slowik to adjust to those adjustments.

Make no mistake, Tank is a big loss but Collins is more than capable of big games, Brown has had some huge games, and Schultz could be a much bigger factor going forward.

What's more of a concern to me is the fact that CJ has been sacked 12 times in the last 3 games after just 8 sacks in the 7 games before that. That kind of pressure on top of very little run game is a big concern.
Just on a surface level my guess is that a lot (not all) of that extra pressure is because the play designs aren’t working as well as they once were and Stroud is holding onto the ball a bit more.

Part of it was also the Broncos blitzers teeing off against the pass when they realized we couldn’t run the ball one bit

Biggest thing the offense needs to add this offseason.

The OL is one of the major issues, and for whatever reason....the offense goes stagnate in the 2nd half. Those 2nd/3rd and longs are going to keep getting CJ killed. Slowick should be designing quick hit slants that involve some rubs to get his receivers free for 4-7 yards so they can keep these defenses on their heels in the 2nd half. Hell, they have Keenum right there for the necessary input for a spread quick slant attack.

It does not take much of a run defense when everyone in the stadium knows you're going to run and the guy with the rock isn't that good. Also Stroud is a bit banged up and is probably fatigued as he would be coming to the end of his college amount of games in a season. He has never been worked over like he has with the Texans.

As far as passing...I attribute it to game film. Many young QBs can come out on fire and then drop off the face of the planet mid way thru the season and forever due to game film being out and defenses adjusting accordingly. Good news is, CJ is still looking lethal on the field even if not "as" clockwork as it once was. Remember, he is a rookie. If he can still be this good even after game film on him is out, imagine how good he is going to be in year 2, 3 and beyond.

A question for the board - rather than putting CJ in harm's way on short yardage situations, why can't we use Beck to pound it over the line to gain?

That or set up behind our best run blocker and just pound the darn rock.
We can't keep putting Stroud in harm's way - we've been lucky the last two weeks but it only takes one injury to put him out for the season or worse.
I agree, I'm haven't been a fan of the QB sneak since the Schaub incident. I'm also not a fan of the tush push. Gotta be a better way. Can't we get Driskel back on the roster?

As far as passing...I attribute it to game film. Many young QBs can come out on fire and then drop off the face of the planet mid way thru the season and forever due to game film being out and defenses adjusting accordingly. Good news is, CJ is still looking lethal on the field even if not "as" clockwork as it once was. Remember, he is a rookie. If he can still be this good even after game film on him is out, imagine how good he is going to be in year 2, 3 and beyond.
This morning CJ leads the NFL in passing yards.

I agree, I'm haven't been a fan of the QB sneak since the Schaub incident. I'm also not a fan of the tush push. Gotta be a better way. Can't we get Driskel back on the roster?
Or, if you really want to QB sneak, bring in Mills.
The surprise element might work a time or two or you can do something else with him to catch the D off balance.

Back