Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

According to the ESPN Box score on yesterdays Texans/Bucs game Will Anderson got a sack ?
I recall him getting one but was thinking we got a defensive penalty on the play which would mean a redo on the down
and therefor would have purged his sack from the stats.
If legit it would have been his second sack.

On the play where Ward was called for unnecessary roughness where Mayfield stumbled and fell coming out of the pocket, kinda got up and stumbled a little and then kinda half-slid and then got hit by Ward? WA actually touched Mayfield, as he was falling, and that's technically a sack/down by contact. But the unnecessary roughness obscured it because it was added onto the end of the play.

On the play where Ward was called for unnecessary roughness where Mayfield stumbled and fell coming out of the pocket, kinda got up and stumbled a little and then kinda half-slid and then got hit by Ward? WA actually touched Mayfield, as he was falling, and that's technically a sack/down by contact. But the unnecessary roughness obscured it because it was added onto the end of the play.
OK so then apparently the play wasn't nullified.

Two things have been established IMHO.

1. We have no run game. Doesn’t matter who is back there.

2. If we want production out of RBs have them kick field goals and kick offs. They are better at than than getting yards on the ground.
The running game may start looking a whole lot better if Slowick/Cj has turned a corner. Less run on 1st down, whether called or checking to it. Back everyone up expecting a pass on 1st & 2nd down... we may even be able to pick up 3rd & 5 on the ground. every now & then.

Right. I was furious when I saw that call. Dude "fell" jumped up & started to progress the ball up field. Damg right I'm going to hit him again. He didn't slide, he didn't give himself up, he fell down awkwardly again.

Then on the replay it shows he was touched by someone as he fell the first time, play was over before he got up. I'm assuming the whistle was blown & that's why Ward got the penalty.

No, the whistle didn't blow. Ward got the penalty because they said Baker gave himself up before Ward hit him
I just watched it. The referee didn't give any details. Referee just said roughing the passer. The play-by-play dude goes on for a little while about extra cushion around the QB & what not. Gene Seratore (sp) says he got a good look from the end-zone angle, Mayfield was touched on the first fall.

& like ThePencilNeck explained, WAjr got credit for the sack & the penalty was enforced from the 27 yard line. Ball was snapped from HOU22. Mayfield originally goes down at the 27, then gets up runs to the 21 where Ward stops him. Half the distance to the goal is 13~14 from the 27 yard line. 10~11 yards from the 21.

1699319757870.png

The ball is originally spotted at the 11 yard line. DeMeco is arguing with the referee. They pick the ball up, go back to the 27, count off 14 yards & spot the ball at the 13 yard line.

images

DeMeco Ryans on having 23 Texans on injury report: Things happen, that’s life
By Josh Alper
Published November 9, 2023 07:01 AM

They say everything is bigger in Texas and that was certainly true of the injury report that the Texans handed in on Wednesday.

There were 23 players listed on the team’s first report ahead of their Week 10 matchup against the Bengals. The length of that report led to a question for head coach DeMeco Ryans about preparing to play when there’s uncertainty about just how many players the team is going to have available.

“It doesn’t stop our process,” Ryans said. “We go through the same process. Things happen, that’s life. Things don’t go your way all the time, so I continue to smile through it. We’re going to have our best guys out there. Whoever is available, we’re going to have our best guys out there and we’re going to play the Texan brand of football.”

The Texans’ win over the Bucs in Week Nine was peppered with injury announcements from the team about players who would not be back in the contest. That included kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn, but running back Dare Ogunbowale stepped in to make a field goal and handle kickoffs in his absence. That showed the ability to roll with the punches that Ryans talked about Wednesday and it looks like they’ll need to do so again this Sunday.

1699641052661.png
The Houston Texans will claim an AFC wild-card spot

They have a tough one this week in Cincinnati, but the rest of the Texans' schedule looks fairly soft. After Week 10, they don't play another road game until Dec. 10, and their remaining road games at that point are against the Jets, Titans and Colts. Their remaining home games are against the Cardinals, Jaguars, Broncos, Browns and Titans. It's not tough to look at that and get the Texans -- who are playing very well -- to 10 wins. And if the Steelers and/or Browns falter, spots will open up for DeMeco Ryans' surprising 4-4 squad. The Texans' Christmas Eve game against Cleveland could carry serious playoff implications. -- Dan Graziano, national NFL reporter

Just saw this, not seeing anything really about the guy. Also, Anderson practiced as Woods was limited (also saw a report he didn't practice...). DP I bet was listed as not able to practice. Sounds like a WR and RB will be out. But, not going to believe anything until I see the official reports. Texans have 23 players on the injury list! That's crazy

Kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn is out two to three weeks with strained quadriceps. He will be replaced replaced by Matt Ammendola.

Also heard on GMFB
Texans yesterday:

Stroud with 350+ yds passing
Singletary with 150 yds rushing
Brown with 150+ yards receiving

Last done by one team in 1998- Colts w/ Manning- Faulk- Small in a game they lost to the Ravens

Funny how that works. We were in a shootout with the Bengals. You'd think their numbers would be similar.

Burrow 347... check
Chase 124... close, check
Mixon 46 yards on 11 carries.

Why did he only get 11 carries when Singletary got 30?

This is why it's good to get the lead & be able to run the football. I know the Bengals are pretty bad at stopping the run. I'm not saying the Texans are a good running team. Just saying this is why you want to be able to run the ball. Had the Texans been able to pick up that 1st down with 4 minutes are so in the game, this one wouldn't have been close.

The Texans tried to start running the clock out with about 4 minutes left. 1st & 2nd down, small runs. Cj drops back to pick up the first down, that's when the pick happened. Had we been able to run the ball "when we needed to" Coach would have been confident Singletary would get the first down, no chance of an interception... maybe a fumble. The Bengals don't get that score. It's a totally different game. Score not so close.

Funny how that works. We were in a shootout with the Bengals. You'd think their numbers would be similar.

Burrow 347... check

This is why it's good to get the lead & be able to run the football. I know the Bengals are pretty bad at stopping the run. I'm not saying the Texans are a good running team. Just saying this is why you want to be able to run the ball. Had the Texans been able to pick up that 1st down with 4 minutes are so in the game, this one wouldn't have been close.

The Texans tried to start running the clock out with about 4 minutes left. 1st & 2nd down, small runs. Cj drops back to pick up the first down, that's when the pick happened. Had we been able to run the ball "when we needed to" Coach would have been confident Singletary would get the first down, no chance of an interception... maybe a fumble. The Bengals don't get that score. It's a totally different game. Score not so close.
If Stroud had just gone down and taken a sack the clock would have kept running or Taylor would have had to use his last timeout with the Texans up 2 scores and 3:18 left on the clock. I like that Ryans trusted Stroud and hope this continues. Stroud will learn from his mistakes.

Burrow 347... check

You can "maybe" and "what if" every game in the NFL. "What if" Stroud hadn't fumbled the snap on the 2nd drive of the game, inside the Bengals 10 yard line? That's at least 3 points and would've changed the way the game ended.

Stroud will learn from his mistakes.

Are we still doing S2 score jokes? Or
has the company filed for bankruptcy yet?

Because we can bank on Stroud being a smart player able to learn from his mistakes. And he has “it”. The clutch factor to bring the team to a W with a minute or less left. That is what you need to beat Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen.

With Demeco we will have a top defense too.

It’d happening in Houston.

You can "maybe" and "what if" every game in the NFL. "What if" Stroud hadn't fumbled the snap on the 2nd drive of the game, inside the Bengals 10 yard line? That's at least 3 points and would've changed the way the game ended.
That's not even the point.

We need to be able to run the ball when we want to run the ball & the other team knows we're going to run the ball.

A 3 game homestand is exactly what the Texans need to keep them in the playoff hunt. They've generally played much better at home. I think they have a good shot at being 9-4 after week 14. If they split the Tacks games and beat the Colts, that's 11-6 and should be good for at least a wild card position, if not the division title.

A 3 game homestand is exactly what the Texans need to keep them in the playoff hunt. They've generally played much better at home. I think they have a good shot at being 9-4 after week 14. If they split the Tacks games and beat the Colts, that's 11-6 and should be good for at least a wild card position, if not the division title.

The Texans need to beat the dogshit out of that stupid ass team when they wear their Oiler duds next. They're wearing those uniforms against us for a reason, they're trolling us. Screw 'em.

And the one where theybhad the receiver step out of bounds, not sure I agree, 4 points, and the fumble CJ had when he was actually throwing it... Texans kicked their asses in general and if just half these go their way it is an easy win. They moved the ball like smoke through a keyhole

And the one where theybhad the receiver step out of bounds, not sure I agree, 4 points, and the fumble CJ had when he was actually throwing it... Texans kicked their asses in general and if just half these go their way it is an easy win. They moved the ball like smoke through a keyhole
Please make the bad man stop!!

The refs tried to skew this game as much as they could but man this team could not be denied. I forgot about that TD that wasn’t. :challenge

Above and beyond............the sign of a leader.

C.J. Stroud is putting in extra time to get himself, and his teammates, ready for each defense
Published November 13, 2023 04:11 PM

Texans quarterback C.J. Stroud has had a great rookie year, and the Texans are now knocking off elite teams.

How’s he doing it? He has the ability, the energy, the swagger. He also has the preparation.

After Sunday’s win over the Bengals in Cincinnati, Texans rookie receiver Tank Dell told PFT that Stroud has been sending late-night texts to teammates with plays run by the upcoming opponent’s defense.

“He just puts that that extra time and his preparation is amazing,” Dell said by phone. “He’d just sent us videos all throughout the night. It’s like eleven at night, almost midnight, and he’s still sending us clips of how their defense is playing and telling us how we should adjust and things like that. I’d say it’s preparation, but then his swagger, he have that confidence about himself that he can be one of the best in the league. So, I’d say all that mixed in with each other.”

Dell said the effort, which happens every week, motivates him and other teammates to work even harder themselves.

“He makes everybody prepare well and you have to when you have a quarterback preparing well, and he has the biggest responsibility,” Dell said. “You’re going to want to go out there and prepare well each and every week, for sure.”

The Texans might now be preparing to make a run at the top of the AFC South. They’ve already beaten the Jaguars by 20 points in Jacksonville. The rematch happens in Houston in 13 days, and a win would put the Texans in first place in the division — if they beat the Cardinals on Sunday.

Back