Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Jim Crane >>>> McNair family.

And comparing a sport with a minor league system to a sport without one is comparing oranges to tires. Yeah, both are round objects, but both are completely different beyond that comparison.

Unless you're suggesting that Caserio cold ultimately get fired for a cheating scandal. . . :thinking:
Nope, it's a philosophy that carries over from sport to sport. Build your team, then add a superstar player or 2 by fa or trade. Take a look at the draft in 2 yr intervals and draft to the strength of those drafts. This is what Caserio is currently doing and I hope Cal let's him continue this philosophy.

Nope, it's a philosophy that carries over from sport to sport. Build your team, then add a superstar player or 2 by fa or trade. Take a look at the draft in 2 yr intervals and draft to the strength of those drafts. This is what Caserio is currently doing and I hope Cal let's him continue this philosophy.

bwahahaha, are YOU actually trying to advocate that the McNairs are anywhere even close to being as good of team owners as Jim Crane??? :smiliepalm:

Caserio can pick whoever he wants, but ultimately, the coaching staff will coach them down if hired by the McNair family. Players do not improve in a Texans uniform.

bwahahaha, are YOU actually trying to advocate that the McNairs are anywhere even close to being as good of team owners as Jim Crane??? :smiliepalm:

Caserio can pick whoever he wants, but ultimately, the coaching staff will coach them down if hired by the McNair family. Players do not improve in a Texans uniform.
Nope not at all.

I'm just hoping Caserio gets the same freedom to pick the players/coaches he wants to try to build a championship contender, like Luhnow got.

Do I think it will happen? History says not a chance.

There were medical red flags with Salyer, but I can't remember what they were. Maybe back issues.

You would think a guy with medical red flags would rise in draft stock, in the Texans eyes.
In the 5th or 6th rd, thats where you take the gamble. If they gambled with the 3rd pick and Metchie, why not Sayler

Jim Crane >>>> McNair family.

And comparing a sport with a minor league system to a sport without one is comparing oranges to tires. Yeah, both are round objects, but both are completely different beyond that comparison.

Unless you're suggesting that Caserio cold ultimately get fired for a cheating scandal. . . :thinking:
Tires 🤣 🤣

Herbert is so good and Eklor is also a very talented back plus their receivers are good it just seemed that the Texans defense was very overmatched today, just not enough talent to compete with the better teams and I dunno but I think the Chargers are the best team we've played to date.
What wrs? Bandy or whatever that dude name was. Mike Williams isn't a #1 and Everett is a journeyman

What wrs? Bandy or whatever that dude name was. Mike Williams isn't a #1 and Everett is a journeyman
I tried to tell people that Caserio should have picked up Bandy off of the WW before the season started. BL and I talked about it and he would have been an upgrade in the slot.

The NFL site has it's new power rankings out, and you'll never guess where the Texans are. But if you guess they're ranked at the bottom, you win. From the rankings:

The Texans are winless through four games for the fourth time since the franchise’s inception in 2002, but the news isn’t all bad. It’s become increasingly clear that running back Dameon Pierce was a draft steal in the fourth round. Pierce set a franchise rookie record with a 75-yard touchdown run that gave Houston some much-needed vitality in an eventual 34-24 loss to the Chargers. Pierce leads all rookie rushers with 313 yards on the ground and was finally granted a full workload by Lovie Smith. In fact, Pierce was the only running back who had a rushing attempt for the Texans in Week 4. Houston has a new horse.

OK LeeBig whatever you think, but I thought this Williams guy was a handful.
So anyway how would you evaluate our top pick CB D. Stingley's performance so far vs. the competition ?

OK LeeBig whatever you think, but I thought this Williams guy was a handful.
So anyway how would you evaluate our top pick CB D. Stingley's performance so far vs. the competition ?
I think Stingley has been fine. He's playing well despite not getting any help from the pass rush. Williams is a big guy and a tough cover, but their #1 was in street clothes.

Reactions: JB
I tried to tell people that Caserio should have picked up Bandy off of the WW before the season started. BL and I talked about it and he would have been an upgrade in the slot.
or they could've drafted him with a 7th rd pick. Lets not get it twisted, that qb made throws to him Mills couldn't make on Madden. Herbert is special.

or they could've drafted him with a 7th rd pick. Lets not get it twisted, that qb made throws to him Mills couldn't make on Madden. Herbert is special.
Didn't get to watch the game. In the preseason I liked Bandy alot and said so at the time. I was hoping Caserio would pick him up. He would have been an upgrade to the current skill position players.

Everybody has potential or they wouldn't be in the NFL. It's what you do with that potential that determines your stay, and/or whether you're just a JAG or go on to be pretty good. So far for Mills, he's not doing much with it and it looks like he's destined to be a career backup. Maybe still too early to make that call, maybe, but at some point you've got to quit making excuses and understand you've got to get better at the position.

He's had very little impact on anything as his 28.4 QBR would confirm. 28th worst BTW, and worse than he had last year, not by much (35.5) but worse nonetheless. Hell, Osweiler had a 49.3 as a Texan and that dude was terrible. Savage 41.7 in 2017, TJ Yates a 43.1 in 2011. Mills hasn't come close to any of that. Yet some argue so hard and make the excuses they do for a QB who hasn't shown any more than any of those guys have.

Everybody has potential or they wouldn't be in the NFL. It's what you do with that potential that determines your stay, and/or whether you're just a JAG or go on to be pretty good. So far for Mills, he's not doing much with it and it looks like he's destined to be a career backup. Maybe still too early to make that call, maybe, but at some point you've got to quit making excuses and understand you've got to get better at the position.

He's had very little impact on anything as his 28.4 QBR would confirm. 28th worst BTW, and worse than he had last year, not by much (35.5) but worse nonetheless. Hell, Osweiler had a 49.3 as a Texan and that dude was terrible. Savage 41.7 in 2017, TJ Yates a 43.1 in 2011. Mills hasn't come close to any of that. Yet some argue so hard and make the excuses they do for a QB who hasn't shown any more than any of those guys have.

Here we go again.....NFL offenses do not rely on one individual. There are 11 pieces that make a whole. Steve Young was horrible in TB and suddenly elevates his game to HoF quality after arriving in SF and learning behind Montana before he was given the starting reins. Vinny Testeverde became "color blind" when he went to TB and he had a remarkable turnaround in his vision once he got to the good NY Jets. There are plenty of these stories in the NFL......so you get the gist.

The Texans have 2 solid pieces on offense at the moment. That would be WR- Cooks and RB- Pierce. They have 3 solid developmental pieces in QB- Mills, LG- Green and WR- Collins. They have 3 nice 2nd tier veteran pieces in TE- Howard, TE- Jordan, and FB- Hairston. The rest of the offensive players (primarily OL and depth).....you just stand back and hope for the best.

Mills is a work in progress who was forced into OJT far earlier than they wanted to put him on the field. He needs to improve his read and release time in the pocket and that should come when he's more comfortable playing behind his OL. Unfortunately, that didn't start for him until the season started b/c the team had no practices against other teams and their defenses.

Last edited:
Here we go again.....NFL offenses do not rely on one individual. There are 11 pieces that make a whole. Steve Young was horrible in TB and suddenly elevates his game to HoF quality after arriving in SF and learning behind Montana before he was given the starting reins. Vinny Testeverde became "color blind" when he went to TB and he had a remarkable turnaround in his vision once he got to the good NY Jets. There are plenty of these stories in the NFL......so you get the gist.

The Texans have 2 solid pieces on offense at the moment. That would be WR- Cooks and RB- Pierce. They have 3 solid developmental pieces in QB- Mills, LG- Green and WR- Collins. They have 3 nice 2nd tier veteran pieces in TE- Howard, TE- Jordan, and FB- Hairston. The rest of the offensive players (primarily OL and depth).....you just stand back and hope for the best.

Mills is a work in progress who was forced into OJT far earlier than they wanted to put him on the field. He's needs to improve his read and release time in the pocket and that should come when he's more comfortable playing behind his OL. Unfortunately, that didn't start for him until the season started b/c the team had no practices against other teams and their defenses.
That Tunsil guy ranked as the 2nd best OT through week 3.

The young guys on both sides of the ball need time to develop and skill position guys need to be upgraded. Mills also needs to up his game. I don't think he's been horrible, he's just been suffering through growing pains in a new offense. We saw that same thing with a young Alex Smith.

Last edited:

Mills is a work in progress who was forced into OJT far earlier than they wanted to put him on the field. He needs to improve his read and release time in the pocket and that should come when he's more comfortable playing behind his OL. Unfortunately, that didn't start for him until the season started b/c the team had no practices against other teams and their defenses.

And here we go again. You can keep making excuses if you want. Hand picking a player that beat the odds doesn’t make it the norm. For every Steve Young success story there’s dozens that flop. And Young went another SIX years after leaving Tampa before he took off. We waiting that long on Mills? Granted, Young was behind a HOF QB during that time, learning from a HOF QB. Mills certainly doesn’t have that luxury.

And if everything has to be perfect around the QB for him to be successful, is he really that good? If we’re waiting for that with the Texans, that’s going to be a long wait.

And here we go again. You can keep making excuses if you want. Hand picking a player that beat the odds doesn’t make it the norm. For every Steve Young success story there’s dozens that flop. And Young went another SIX years after leaving Tampa before he took off. We waiting that long on Mills? Granted, Young was behind a HOF QB during that time, learning from a HOF QB. Mills certainly doesn’t have that luxury.

And if everything has to be perfect around the QB for him to be successful, is he really that good? If we’re waiting for that with the Texans, that’s going to be a long wait.

You can sink your teeth into developing a QB1 or just keep playing the QB1 carousel every 2-3 years. Rothlisberger was given a ready to go offense that was missing a QB.....he had no problem succeeding.

Mills has had no such luxury. As the team continues the rebuilding effort it would be nice to see him continue his growth without an injury setting him back.

You can sink your teeth into developing a QB1 or just keep playing the QB1 carousel every 2-3 years. Rothlisberger was given a ready to go offense that was missing a QB.....he had no problem succeeding.

Mills has had no such luxury. As the team continues the rebuilding effort it would be nice to see him continue his growth without an injury setting him back.
Mills is going to make a damn fine 12 to 15 year backup QB. A real Colt McCoy he is.

Last edited:
Mills is going to make a damn fine 12 to 15 year back QB. A real Colt McCoy he is.

You need to slow down on the popcorn eating. Just sit back and savor the flavor (butter). It may take the first 12 games before he becomes fully comfortable with the way Pep and Lovie want this offense executed. If he turns it on again, avoids the blowouts, and keeps the team competitive for this season.....then my guess, his development is right on schedule.

Again, you're cherry picking the few who it works out for. And those you have mentioned are high drafts picks. Ben 11th overall, Young 1st overall. Even Vestaverde who I think you've mentioned was 1st overall. Those are guys who are expected to get it together. And yes, I realize there's plenty of 1st rounders who flop.

And I'm not saying that Mills can't make it because he was drafted in the 3rd round. If Mills were making some progress I might feel differently, but if anything he looks to be regressing.

And I have no problem developing a QB1. I just don't think the Texans have one of those to develop.

Back