Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Talent? I thought you were a proponent of not having a #1 WR because it takes away a young QB's blanket and makes them grow by spreading the ball around? I guess this is what happens when a young QB has a good #2 WR and a bunch of JAGs to throw to?

I want to have a WR corps next yr that includes Cooks (Unless he's traded) Metchie and I like Johnson from TCU because I dont think Addison falls to the Browns pick. Johnson is 6'4 225 lbs and runs a 4.30. His best football is ahead of him. Other receivers I like and hope Caserio picks are Mingo/Rahsee Rice/Nathaniel Dell and later if he drops because of injury Anias Smith. Speed Speed Speed. Caserio should be able to add 2 WR upgrades in this draft One early and one late in the draft. Stonger/All/Whylie are guysI'm looking at later. Caserio has to have massive upgrades in the TE room.

Last edited:
I want to have a WR corps next yr that includes Cooks (Unless he's traded) Metchie and I like Johnson from TCU because I dont think Addison falls to the Browns pick. Johnson is 6'4 225 lbs and runs a 4.30. His best football is ahead of him. Other receivers I like and hope Caserio picks are Mingo/Rahsee Rice/Nathaniel Dell and later if he drops because of injury Anias Smith. Speed Speed Speed. Caserio should be able to add 2 WR upgrades in this draft One early and one late in the draft. Stonger/All/Whylie are guysI'm looking at later. Caserio has to have massive upgrades in the TE room.
Nico 40 time 4.4
Dorsett 40 time 4.3
Chris Moore 4.41
Brandon Cooks 4.33
Chris Conley 4.35
OJ Howard’s 4.51
We have speed, they’re not being utilized right. Last season during the last 5 games Mills threw several bombs to his receivers. Pep isn’t either drawing up big time plays for these speedy receivers or Mills is too busy playing it safe. I remember the rumbling throughout training camp saying Mills wasn’t even trying to throw the ball deep. While all the other quarterbacks were throwing bombs down the field.

Nico 40 time 4.4
Dorsett 40 time 4.3
Chris Moore 4.41
Brandon Cooks 4.33
Chris Conley 4.35
OJ Howard’s 4.51
We have speed, they’re not being utilized right. Last season during the last 5 games Mills threw several bombs to his receivers. Pep isn’t either drawing up big time plays for these speedy receivers or Mills is too busy playing it safe. I remember the rumbling throughout training camp saying Mills wasn’t even trying to throw the ball deep. While all the other quarterbacks were throwing bombs down the field.
It takes more than Speed to get open. Nico has no shake in his bake. If his route has any cut's to it, he rounds off his route to make the cut. I can't remember seeing him use any kind of fakes to get separation. To be honest, I haven't seen it out of any of the WR's this season that I can remember. Last season, nobody could cover Cooks. This season, he's blanketed on patterns that he was easily getting separation on last season. The interception in the end zone that was thrown to Cooks should have been an easy TD, but Cooks couldn't get any separation on the route. I can see why Mills would throw it to Cooks there, because last season, Cooks would have had a step on the DB, and the play would have been almost automatic.

I'm finding it hard to put my finger on the problem. There are several. Mills hasn't been very accurate on out routes so far this season. That looks like a confidence issue to me. The passing game on a whole is broken. If the receivers can't get open because of holes in coverage, they aren't getting open. The receiver's just aren't winning their 1 on 1 matchups. I think that further erodes Mills confidence. Getting hit in the back before he can complete his drop doesn't help either.

Something is broken on the offense. I'm leaning on the broken part being Pep (OC), Ben McDaniels (wide receivers / pass game coordinator), and Ted White (offensive assistant / quarterbacks coach). I think Warhop has improved the OL, but it could still be a lot better. The Defense has it's own issues.

It takes more than Speed to get open. Nico has no shake in his bake. If his route has any cut's to it, he rounds off his route to make the cut. I can't remember seeing him use any kind of fakes to get separation. To be honest, I haven't seen it out of any of the WR's this season that I can remember. Last season, nobody could cover Cooks. This season, he's blanketed on patterns that he was easily getting separation on last season. The interception in the end zone that was thrown to Cooks should have been an easy TD, but Cooks couldn't get any separation on the route. I can see why Mills would throw it to Cooks there, because last season, Cooks would have had a step on the DB, and the play would have been almost automatic.

I'm finding it hard to put my finger on the problem. There are several. Mills hasn't been very accurate on out routes so far this season. That looks like a confidence issue to me. The passing game on a whole is broken. If the receivers can't get open because of holes in coverage, they aren't getting open. The receiver's just aren't winning their 1 on 1 matchups. I think that further erodes Mills confidence. Getting hit in the back before he can complete his drop doesn't help either.

Something is broken on the offense. I'm leaning on the broken part being Pep (OC), Ben McDaniels (wide receivers / pass game coordinator), and Ted White (offensive assistant / quarterbacks coach). I think Warhop has improved the OL, but it could still be a lot better. The Defense has it's own issues.
Of course Cooks didn’t have separation, he was covered basically by three defenders. No way Mills should’ve went to Cooks at that time. Just like Sunday, he shouldn’t have went to Burkhead on his last interception.
I’m talking about straight up fly routes, they’re not doing that. The one time they did, the flea flicker play Cooks had more than 10 yards of separation. Mills under threw him big time.
Cooks and Dorsett are your more shifter wide receivers. Put them in the slot and go to work. Pep isn’t utilizing his weapons correctly.

Nico 40 time 4.4
Dorsett 40 time 4.3
Chris Moore 4.41
Brandon Cooks 4.33
Chris Conley 4.35
OJ Howard’s 4.51
All jags except for Cooks

Compare them to the Steelers/Bengals/Philly etc... WR corps.

The Texans can practice tackling all they want to, but even last year they were one of the worse teams in terms of tackling. This year, right on par. Lbs out of lanes, ol getting to the 2nd level, not getting off blocks.
How do you practice tackling when you have one 1 1/2 hour contact practice day. I guess their big tackling practice is on Friday walkthroughs...........learning ghost tackling.................THAT lesson they have learned quite well, and apply it every Sunday...............

How do you practice tackling when you have one 1 1/2 hour contact practice day. I guess their big tackling practice is on Friday walkthroughs...........learning ghost tackling.................THAT lesson they have learned quite well, and apply it every Sunday...............
Lol they got to do something because right now they’re freaking horrendous at tackling.

If a coaching change arrives once again on the Texans doorstep.....I want a younger coach with fresher ideas. I'll slide all my chips in now for Lincoln Riley and his modified Run-N-Shoot offense. That would definitely bring some excitement back to Houston football. How about Cal and Caserio coordinate a HC- Lincoln Riley / QB- Calen Williams (RD1) arrival for 2024.

Finish off this dream sequence.....hopefully Riley would have in mind a DC who could successfully blur the lines between a 4-3 and 4-6 defense. There has to be excitement on both sides of the ball.

Biggest job, get those trenches healthy in 2022/2023 and then bring in the 2024 window dressing.

On 610, 2 days ago, Lopez and Locker were talking about Mac Jones and that they heard there was speculation that Jones was seeking a second opnion on his high ankle sprain..........regarding the possibiilility of surgery. They must have gone on and on for a full segment about.............they have never heard of anyone ever requiring surgery for a high ankle sprain........there is NO ONE who as far as they knew EVER had undergone surgery for this condition!

I've brought the subject up before that these clowns have dogmatically discussed injuries..............usually they have no clue about.........and thus disseminate false information to the other uninformed myriad of their audience.

[Surgery for unstable high ankle sprains is not rare...........whether performed by classic screws connecting the tibia with the fibula.......or performed by the newer "Tight Rope" technique.]

1664460785044.png

Lopez and Landry removed all doubt for me long, long time ago!

On 610, 2 days ago, Lopez and Locker were talking about Mac Jones and that they heard there was speculation that Jones was seeking a second opnion on his high ankle sprain..........regarding the possibiilility of surgery. They must have gone on and on for a full segment about.............they have never heard of anyone ever requiring surgery for a high ankle sprain........there is NO ONE who as far as they knew EVER had undergone surgery for this condition!

I've brought the subject up before that these clowns have dogmatically discussed injuries..............usually they have no clue about.........and thus disseminate false information to the other uninformed myriad of their audience.

[Surgery for unstable high ankle sprains is not rare...........whether performed by classic screws connecting the tibia with the fibula.......or performed by the newer "Tight Rope" technique.]

View attachment 10756

Lopez and Landry removed all doubt for me long, long time ago!

You need to call in and set them straight someday.

The Texans’ tackling was substandard again, drawing the ire of coach Lovie Smith.

“Everybody has to do their job, everybody has to tackle better,” Wallow said. “That’s an improvement we need for the whole defense. It’s something we obviously need to prioritize. It’s huge. We need more takeaways. We need more punch-outs to get the ball in our offense’s hands. It’s a lot of things. It’s fits, it’s pursuit angles. We need the right judgment in the game. No matter what, get the guy down.”

Lovie, could the coaching possibly have anything to do the "substandard tackling"? Could it, Lovie??

Back