Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Wolf

100% Texan
“I’m being very realistic,” Delhomme said. “I turned 37 last week. I’m not moving my family. I’m going somewhere to start over. This kind of fell into my lap, so to speak. You don’t think you’re going to get the injuries a team like this one had. If this is the end, which most likely it is, it’s been great. I’m beyond happy it happened.

“You never want to say never. But … to come to a place like this, where everybody’s on the same page, to see the way these guys work, it’s been great. If I’ve left this game, I’ve left it on a high note. Last year just wasn’t a fun experience, playing up in Cleveland. I got hurt … just the way things were run … a total disconnect between the coaches and the front office.”

Delhomme, who almost quarterbacked the Carolina Panthers to a victory in Super Bowl XVIII in Houston in 2004, said he believes the Texans’ best is yet to come.

“I’m telling you, this team is going to be good for years,” he said. “I’m going to enjoy watching them go deep in the playoffs, make big runs every year. I can say, ‘Hey, I was part of those guys once.’ I remember those guys.”
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/01/delhomme-sees-end-of-road-but-being-with-texans-a-great-experience/

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
“You never want to say never. But … to come to a place like this, where everybody’s on the same page, to see the way these guys work, it’s been great. If I’ve left this game, I’ve left it on a high note. Last year just wasn’t a fun experience, playing up in Cleveland. I got hurt … just the way things were run … a total disconnect between the coaches and the front office.”

“I’m telling you, this team is going to be good for years,” he said. “I’m going to enjoy watching them go deep in the playoffs, make big runs every year. I can say, ‘Hey, I was part of those guys once.’ I remember those guys.” http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/01/delhomme-sees-end-of-road-but-being-with-texans-a-great-experience/
Way to leave with class Jake.
best of luck...
:goodluck:

BetaV1

Rookie
I got to say it's a nice feeling to know that the usual off-seasons woes and negativity have seemingly been put behind us

Wolf

100% Texan
NFL needs to fix the rule for compensatory picks.If I understand right,Mario would give the Texans a third round pick (at the end of the round). There needs to be a fairer grading system for teams

Wolf

100% Texan
Man, seeing what "benchmarks" Mario's contract has set, I was wondering how teams are going to afford their key players anymore. I liked Mario but aw he enough of a game changer to warrant that kind of money.

But then I think of aso manning and j-Jo did more for the Texans than aso could have done and with less money between them

G27RR

WATTch Out!
Im more worried about next years FA group than this seasons ....
I'm not too worried about it yet, we'll see how the draft goes. Hopefully we'll have a replacement at #2WR and maybe #3, then we can cut Jones if we haven't already, and maybe Walter if we need the room. If we had to, we could look at OD and/or DeMeco. Then, you can start restructuring if need be, and/or you backload some of th re-signs, because we'll be getting into the years where the cap should go up due to the TV contracts.

Wolf

100% Texan
I didn't think this warranted a new thread

Few teams have seen more talent leave in the last couple of weeks than Houston, which has seen Mario Williams sign a huge contract elsewhere, traded DeMeco Ryans and released Eric Winston, among others. Texans coach Gary Kubiak acknowledges that’s going to hurt.

“Obviously, it’s been a difficult 10 days,” Kubiak told John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. “We’ve lost some key players who are tremendous people and leaders. They played a big part in our building process. It’s going to be difficult to replace them, but obviously we have to move on and other players have to step up.”

The Texans are coming off by far their best season in franchise history, reaching the playoffs for the first time, and it’s been surprising to see just how many players from last year’s team won’t be back this year. Other players who have left include tight end Joel Dreessen, guard Mike Brisiel, cornerback Jason Allen, fullback Lawrence Vickers and quarterback Matt Leinart.

Kubiak lamented in particular that the Texans weren’t able to retain players from their strong 2006 draft class, which included Williams first overall, Ryans in the second round and Winston in the third round.

“I’ve never been part of a better draft class in all my years of coaching,” Kubiak said.

And he may have never been part of a worse first couple weeks of free agency.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/24/gary-kubiak-texans-are-having-a-difficult-offseason/

While thinking with my heart, I was pissed when the Ryans trade just went through, but when the blood finally went back up to my teeny tiny brain, I knew it had to be done.

I knew that the Texans have some big contracts that are coming up next year and expected something to be done, I was just hoping to have one more year with Ryans .

Vinny

shiny happy fan
my random thought of the day is simple...

when your mantra is to build through the draft and you draft Safetys and cornerbacks for a decade and can't come out with a reliable starter, you sign expensive, overpriced FA's so that you have to cut your actual draft picks.....well, that's nice.

badboy

Hall of Fame
2006 was a good draft. 2010 was a good draft. My thought? Hope we don't have to wait 4 years to have another good draft.

Perki-Perk

DieHard Texan!
2006 was a good draft. 2010 was a good draft. My thought? Hope we don't have to wait 4 years to have another good draft.
Come on Badboy, I think the Texans have gotten better each year since 2007, which was one of our worst drafts ever.

2007 netted us absolutely nothing
2008 Got us Duane Brown and Steve Slaton was good for a year
2009, this is where it gets fun. Heard of any of these guys?? Cushing, Barwin, Caldwell, Casey, McCain or Nolan?
2010, obviously, the one you alluded to. Was KJax, Big Ben Tate Earl Mitchell and D Sharpton. Shelley Smith is notable, if he can get on the field. I'm liking 2009 better at this point.
2011, I think is safe to say was a pretty dang good draft too. WATT?!?! ring a bell? Reed and Yates also contributed, We still don't know what we have with Harris and Carmichael and Keo. Though it's a little early.

So lets see, 2006 was a good draft, 2007 was horrible, 2008 got us a franchise LT, and a year of solid production from Slaton. 2009, Great draft! And to think Frank Bush had something to do with those defensive aquisitions. 2010, I don't know, let's see how KJax does this year, but it was a good draft. Ben Tate and Earl Mitchell are solid contributors as well as Daryl Sharpton when he's on the field. The 2011 draft, even if only Watt and Reed continue their great and good play, respectively, then it is still a really good draft. Now, if Yates and any of the secondary picks pan out...well, there's another great draft.

Can't wait til Thursday!!!

drs23

Veteran
Come on Badboy, I think the Texans have gotten better each year since 2007, which was one of our worst drafts ever.

2009, this is where it gets fun. Heard of any of these guys?? Cushing, Barwin, Caldwell, Casey, McCain or Nolan?
2010, obviously, the one you alluded to. Was KJax, Big Ben Tate Earl Mitchell and D Sharpton. Shelley Smith is notable, if he can get on the field. I'm liking 2009 better at this point.
2011, I think is safe to say was a pretty dang good draft too. WATT?!?! ring a bell? Reed and Yates also contributed, We still don't know what we have with Harris and Carmichael and Keo. Though it's a little early.

So lets see, 2006 was a good draft, 2007 was horrible, 2008 got us a franchise LT, and a year of solid production from Slaton. 2009, Great draft! And to think Frank Bush had something to do with those defensive aquisitions. 2010, I don't know, let's see how KJax does this year, but it was a good draft. Ben Tate and Earl Mitchell are solid contributors as well as Daryl Sharpton when he's on the field. The 2011 draft, even if only Watt and Reed continue their great and good play, respectively, then it is still a really good draft. Now, if Yates and any of the secondary picks pan out...well, there's another great draft.

I'm sure you meant to say *Rookie of the Year* Yates. :)

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

:corrosion:

Wolf

100% Texan
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Third-day-of-Texans-draft/303c7456-ecfd-4e9a-a042-5924ae1b9ae9

Quotes: Third day of Texans draft

Posted Apr 28, 2012

The Texans 4th-6th round draft picks and their respective position coaches spoke to the media on Saturday afternoon.

DE Jared Crick
C Ben Jones
WR Keshawn Martin
Offensive Line Coach John Benton
Wide Receivers Coach Larry Kirksey
Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Line Bill Kollar
Kicker Randy Bullock
Special teams coordinator Joe Marciano
Offensive lineman Nick Mondek

Wolf

100% Texan
DB coach Joseph discusses 2nd-year CBs Harris, Carmichael
Two of the Texans’ most frequently asked-about players by fans are cornerbacks Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael, a pair of 2011 draft picks who are largely unknown commodities heading into their second NFL seasons.

Harris was a second-round pick out of Miami (Fla.) last year. The Texans liked him so much that they traded up into the end of the second round to get him. But he played in only nine games as a rookie, mostly on special teams and rarely on defense as the Texans improved from 32nd to second against the pass and 30th to second overall.

“That’s not his fault,” Texans defensive backs coach Vance Joseph said. “Because sometimes, when you draft guys and you just put ‘em out there because you drafted ‘em, that can hurt guys’ growth. We had guys last year who were playing well for us to win. So, I wasn’t down on Harris for not being ready to play last year. And that’s the thing about me. If a guy’s ready to play, I’m gonna play him. If he’s not ready, I’m not gonna play him. It doesn’t matter where he’s drafted, because you can really lose a good corner by playing him too soon, and now he can’t play. So I’d rather sit a guy and when he’s ready to play, play him. That way, he can flourish in his career.”

Joseph was very impressed with Harris (5-10, 195) during the Texans’ three-day mini-camp from June 14-16. Cornerbacks Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson and Brice McCain all sat out of the practices along with other established veterans, giving more reps to Harris and his young cohorts.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/DB-coach-Joseph-discusses-2nd-year-CBs-Harris-Carmichael/4a1e93b1-161e-40d3-b9b2-6e1a4053aef3

Wolf

100% Texan
I have seen things said about "X" player won't be cut because he went to the same college as "X" coach or "x" player won't be cut because he used to play for this coach..

2012 Texans... I don't see that happening.. if you can play in the Texans system, you can play

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Lol, I just threw my Texans shirt in the dirty cloths and the wife (Niner fan) asked the rhetorical, but silly question, "Is it REALLY dirty or just dirty?"

I told her it's REALLY dirty, what, with all the dried Niner blood and guts all over it. I don't remember anything after that. :D

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Something Mike Tirico said caught my ear last night.

It went something like [parahasing], "So, for the first time in all of the 664 MNF games so far..............."

So in two weeks when the Texans play the Jets in New Jersey, those two teams will be playing in MNF game #666.

Call me what you will, but I would rather it be game #665 or #667. :mcnugget:

Señor Stan

El Guapo
Something Mike Tirico said caught my ear last night.

It went something like [parahasing], "So, for the first time in all of the 664 MNF games so far..............."

So in two weeks when the Texans play the Jets in New Jersey, those two teams will be playing in MNF game #666.

Call me what you will, but I would rather it be game #665 or #667. :mcnugget:
*sigh* we've been through this before...Cushing has got this covered...

The number of the Beast is 666.

Reliant Stadium is on the 610 loop.

666 minus 610 equals 56.

aaand...

B = 2
R = 18
I = 9
A = 1
N = 14

C = 3
U = 21
S = 19
H = 8
I = 9
N = 14
G = 7

((18-14+9-2*1)+((21*14*3)-(9*19)-(8*7))) =

Wolf

100% Texan
worried about this defense... Watt is the only one making noise and is doing quite well. HOWEVER teams are noticing but I don't see any of the 6 of the other front 7 getting the job done.. esp when Watt is getting double teamed at times

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
There's nothing more annoying than callers to a station that say the exact same thing over and over to diffrent hosts. Titan dick I mean Rick and Larry in stafford are two of the worst offenders. But today One called 790 in the am, afternoon and drive home and said the exact same thing everytime. Schaub can't roll ten yards left or right like Peyton manning. Take away the long runs that foster had against the jets and he only averages 3 ypg. Seriously I would love to work in radio just one day in order to tell these imbeciles to shut the hell up and at least come with diffrent material if the points you want to make are this pointless.

Hey caller if you take away the packers 3 tds then the texans win the game. Doesnt that sound really dumb? yes and so do you. i wish I'd caught the idiots name I swear he repeated the same schtick to 3 diffrent hosts. Lame lame lame

Wolf

100% Texan
well I jinxed the Texans against the Ravens

I mean I NEVER have dreams about football, but some reason today I had a dream that the Texans won 28-7 and I had a feeling of "All is well in the universe" for this week

:kubepalm:

Wolf

100% Texan
Shannon Sharpe said about the Bills signing Mario.

Bills should have did what the Texans did. Lock the doors and change the phone number

Showtime100

Got JJ?
I'm not sure I've ever been more proud or happier than right now. Of course, the team's history is short. More to come, I hope.

Wolf

100% Texan
After the hit at knocked out sunshine and e fumbled, I wonder if he Texan coaches are running drills about keep playing until the whistle blows. That was 6 points we could have had for the defense.
( going on the announcers talking about the hit and a long delay before the whistle ):d: