Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Texans' Jordan Akins avoids taunting fine, adapts to different role
By Aaron Wilson Oct 1, 2021

Jordan Akins celebrated a reception against the Cleveland Browns a few weeks ago by spinning the football on their sideline.

Although Akins drew a penalty for taunting, the NFL didn't believe Akins' infraction rose to the level where he should be fined.

The Texans' veteran tight end was happy to avoid that expense.

“They said that I spun the ball on their sideline, and I guess the look that I gave them they called it taunting," Akins said. "To me, I always spin the ball. It’s like one of my celebrations, but now I know. I’ll spin the ball in the field or toward my sideline. A little more caution, man. Them fines ain’t no joke. Once I score, I believe I will either spike it or spin it.”
Akins has three career touchdowns, but none this year. If he scores or makes another big play, he'll likely have a different type of reaction.

“You just have to wait and see," Akins said. "I think that the spike and the spin is getting kind of old. It’s my fourth year, so I guess I’ve got to spice it up a little bit.”

Texans' Jordan Akins avoids taunting fine, adapts to different role
By Aaron Wilson Oct 1, 2021

Jordan Akins celebrated a reception against the Cleveland Browns a few weeks ago by spinning the football on their sideline.

Although Akins drew a penalty for taunting, the NFL didn't believe Akins' infraction rose to the level where he should be fined.

The Texans' veteran tight end was happy to avoid that expense.

“They said that I spun the ball on their sideline, and I guess the look that I gave them they called it taunting," Akins said. "To me, I always spin the ball. It’s like one of my celebrations, but now I know. I’ll spin the ball in the field or toward my sideline. A little more caution, man. Them fines ain’t no joke. Once I score, I believe I will either spike it or spin it.”
Akins has three career touchdowns, but none this year. If he scores or makes another big play, he'll likely have a different type of reaction.

“You just have to wait and see," Akins said. "I think that the spike and the spin is getting kind of old. It’s my fourth year, so I guess I’ve got to spice it up a little bit.”

Since they’re putting an end to taunting, they also needs to end all these freaking celebrations after every play.

This OL appears just as bad as the BOB era OL. I see Cannon barely moving his feet or laying on the ground. Howard looks worst at LG than he did at RT. Britt is better than Martin, but it seems his bark is worst than his bite. I don't know what Scharping or Heck is doing.

Random thought. Did the Texans make a mistake in signing Cannon and shuffling Howard and Scharping?

This OL appears just as bad as the BOB era OL. I see Cannon barely moving his feet or laying on the ground. Howard looks worst at LG than he did at RT. Britt is better than Martin, but it seems his bark is worst than his bite. I don't know what Scharping or Heck is doing.

Random thought. Did the Texans make a mistake in signing Cannon and shuffling Howard and Scharping?

They looked good with Tyrod in there.

I want them to win, too. But I don't want them to spend anything that could be applied to the future to win 6 games instead of 5

Look at our division:

Titans 2-2
Texans 1-3
Colts 1-3
Jaguars 0-4.

So do you give up on the season way before it actually gets started? Or do you wait until after week 8 when your divisional foes walks away from you?

I'm not ready to go there. This same OL looked good in pass pro three weeks. They looked bad This week against a very talented blitz happy front.

Look at our division:

Titans 2-2
Texans 1-3
Colts 1-3
Jaguars 0-4.

So do you give up on the season way before it actually gets started? Or do you wait until after week 8 when your divisional foes walks away from you?

I evaluate Mills and figure out where I'm at, at the trade deadline. If it looks real bad I start trading players for cap pursposes. take what you can get for a guy like Cunningham and move on.

My question for you is if a team came calling at the deadline and offered you a 3rd for Howard and a 4th for Reid would you take it? I would because I think you can find a better LG than Howard. (NC State/Kentucky LT/LG for example and since Reid is a FA (God I'm getting old) you gotta get what you can for him. I doubt he will be here next yr. Do you think Caserio will tag Reid? I dont see it.

This team clearly needs three things on offense to be competitive:

1) Limit penalties. 10 penalties 100 yards today. The offense shot itself in the foot routinely before they had a chance to get going putting them in long down and distance situations.

2) No “negative” plays. In order to stay in manageable down and distance situations they need to consistently gain positive yardage the majority of their plays. If they don’t then they might as well punt like Culley did against the Browns rather than replay 3rd down and long because it aint happening.

3) Win the turnover battle. They need to take advantage of the short field the defense gives them and come away with points when they do. They need to not give the ball away carelessly to the other team. Win the turnover battle and the game stays competitive.

We all know this team is not talented enough to overcome penalties, turnovers and negative yardage plays. We are 4 games into the season, that should not be a surprise. Especially on the road in bad weather against a bonafide contender.

I evaluate Mills and figure out where I'm at, at the trade deadline. If it looks real bad I start trading players for cap pursposes. take what you can get for a guy like Cunningham and move on.

My question for you is if a team came calling at the deadline and offered you a 3rd for Howard and a 4th for Reid would you take it? I would because I think you can find a better LG than Howard. (NC State/Kentucky LT/LG for example and since Reid is a FA (God I'm getting old) you gotta get what you can for him. I doubt he will be here next yr. Do you think Caserio will tag Reid? I dont see it.

I was about to argue with you about Justin Reid. But I think he’ll go the Honey Badger route this offseason and get paid to be a part of a contender. I’d aim for higher than a 4th at deadline. He’s a 3rd round comp pick if Texans don’t sign someone to replace his level contract in free agency.

This team clearly needs three things on offense to be competitive:

1) Limit penalties. 10 penalties 100 yards today. The offense shot itself in the foot routinely before they had a chance to get going putting them in long down and distance situations.

2) No “negative” plays. In order to stay in manageable down and distance situations they need to consistently gain positive yardage the majority of their plays. If they don’t then they might as well punt like Culley did against the Browns rather than replay 3rd down and long because it aint happening.

3) Win the turnover battle. They need to take advantage of the short field the defense gives them and come away with points when they do. They need to not give the ball away carelessly to the other team. Win the turnover battle and the game stays competitive.

We all know this team is not talented enough to overcome penalties, turnovers and negative yardage plays. We are 4 games into the season, that should not be a surprise. Especially on the road in bad weather against a bonafide contender.
I would add they need to figure out the running game. That was suppose to be their strength with all of the RBs on the roster. A better running game will protect Mills, keep the defense fresh and shorten the game.

Look at our division:

Titans 2-2
Texans 1-3
Colts 1-3
Jaguars 0-4.

Going after Drew Lock would be a mistake. You're just trying to replace your back up & it doesn't make sense.

Jordan Love may be an answer for now & the future. But I just don't see it. We don't have the capital.

& I can't see them making a move for a QB when the lack of a running game is going to lessen his chances of being successful.

I would add they need to figure out the running game. That was suppose to be their strength with all of the RBs on the roster. A better running game will protect Mills, keep the defense fresh and shorten the game.

Yep. That goes into the “no negative plays” piece. Even though the run game didn’t roll over the Jags they consistently got positive yardage. Not 4 carries for negative yardage we’ve come to expect from Lindsay.

Reid is currently the leader of this team. I don’t see them trading him.
Howard can be replaced or moved back to the right side in which he was playing much better.
They might trade Tunsil next year.

True in pass protection. But 4 of the 6 quarters, Tyrod played was against the Jaguars. In the other two quarters against the Browns, the TEs and RBs spent significant time helping the OL with their pass protection. This OL have not run blocked well with and without Taylor.
They were able to move the ball with ease against what suppose to be top notch defense (Browns). That’s why I said on the game thread that with Tyrod this was a completely different offense and Kelly called the game totally opposite. They were able to run a lot of misdirection plays and rub routes.

They were able to move the ball with ease against what suppose to be top notch defense (Browns). That’s why I said on the game thread that with Tyrod this was a completely different offense and Kelly called the game totally opposite. They were able to run a lot of misdirection plays and rub routes.
Browns don't have the Talent in the middle of their DL & they don't blitz nearly as often & the Texans were quite a bit healthier.

There's no comparison between the Browns & the Bills.

Reid is currently the leader of this team. I don’t see them trading him.
Howard can be replaced or moved back to the right side in which he was playing much better.
They might trade Tunsil next year.
Could you see them moving guys like Howard/Omenihu at the deadline?

BTW, I would move Reid, depending on the compensation.

Give me a 3rd for Reid and I'm moving on. Hurts this yr, helps in the long run.

For instance, you use your top 10 pick on Hutchinson in the 1st then used a 2/3rd to move back into the 1st for a CB like Gardener. You would still have the ammo in the 3rd with say the Raiers need a S plus the Saints 3rd. If you want to move up back into the 2nd if there's a guy you really like. Adding 2 premium players and a long time starter in the 2nd with a trade up out of 1 draft. would be a great start in the re-bulid. IMHO

Last edited:
My boy just told me the Texans have contacted Denver about Drew Lock and Green Bay about Jordan Love.

Said Coach said get him a quarterback because Mills isn’t ready.
That would be a travesty, the Texans need assets and not give any away. This is where Caserio should tell the coach, you knew what you had and where we were going. Plus, I'm not sure those 2 players are worth it. Green Bay could fleece the Texans and stroke Aaron Rodgers' ego by trading Jordan Love. Drew Lock is a former 1st but worth no more than a 5th. If they have spoken to those teams about those players then I'm jumping off the Caserio train. I'd rather them force Derrick to play vs trade for another QB.

The problem in my opinion is that they have 5 offensive tackles and zero offensive guards; and they have two of the tackles playing guard. The Howard move is a failure. They should move him back to RT. Cannon is not very good at guard but he has played the position. They need to activate Lane Taylor. Heck needs to be the swing tackle.

And they need to search and sign off of practice squads, pure, young, promising offensive guards. It's not ideal to be doing this after the season has started, but results can't be much worse than today against the Bills. Cannon and Layne are expendable if we find replacements.

I had overlooked the possibility of trading Cunningham. I'd be trying to trade for a LG and move Howard back to RT.

I had overlooked the possibility of trading Cunningham. I'd be trying to trade for a LG and move Howard back to RT.

Hopefully Howard can learn to play LG. He's maybe an avg RT.

To me Howard is a definite bust if he cant learn to be an above avg LG. RT shouldn't be in his future unless you're willing to be looking for an upgrade over Howard every yr until you find his replacement.

Hopefully Howard can learn to play LG. He's maybe an avg RT.

To me Howard is a definite bust if he cant learn to be an above avg LG. RT shouldn't be in his future unless you're willing to be looking for an upgrade over Howard every yr until you find his replacement.
Taking what you say as accurate, you're asking an average player to not only switch sides and all that implies, but to switch dominate hand (got this from a comment on 610). How long do you give for this transformation. At the least I'd have him at RG.

The question is how best to get through this season with the personnel we have. Hopefully we'll have improvement against lesser teams/talent.

Taking what you say as accurate, you're asking an average player to not only switch sides and all that implies, but to switch dominate hand (got this from a comment on 610). How long do you give for this transformation. At the least I'd have him at RG.

The question is how best to get through this season with the personnel we have. Hopefully we'll have improvement against lesser teams/talent.

If he cant play LG then move him to RG and give that a try.

I'm looking forward to seeing whay McCray can do at RG. Sharping is definitely a weakness.

Back