Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) Tweeted:
The Jaguars are going to get to select Trevor Lawrence No. 1 overall.

The Texans are in-line to watch a top-five pick suit up for another club while paying Laremy Tunsil $22 million.

Thank you, Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby. Just a stupendous job by both of you.

Still trying to figure out what is going to be worse -

The trade for Hopkins
Or the trade for Tunsil.

I like to think that the trade for Tunsil saved Watson from serious injury.

Does it appear that Roderick Johnson has played well at LT and RT this year?

Nope and was he's lucky to even have a job in the NFL. The Texans got him off of the scrap heap. Did/Do you really want him protecting DW4's blindside? I guess you do if you want DW4 to get hurt.

Well, it was the Bengals who don't get after the QB much. Still, with their already JV line down to Pop Warner, they only allow 1 sack and very few hits. Sucks that the 1 sack came at the most crucial time, and against a guy who had 1 offensive NFL snap coiming into that game.

And to be fair, how many sacks/hits were avoided simply because of DW? Even the play before the fumble, a blitzer came untouched, but DW did his magic.

Speedy, you don't see him improving at that …. I think he's steadily coming around …. it's hard to change over night, but he's an awfully bright young man.
????

I think he's miles ahead of what some around here think. He has a garbage o-line, a garbage run game, garbage coaching, and a garbage scheme, and he still puts up the incredible numbers he does. He also has a garbage defense that doesn't help in the W/L columns. Hopefully a lot of that garbage gets taken out this offseason and we get to see what this dude is truly capable of.

Speedy, you don't see him improving at that …. I think he's steadily coming around …. it's hard to change over night, but he's an awfully bright young man.

He's improving somewhat, but he's definitely not where he should in in this regard aft 4 yrs in the NFL.

????

I think he's miles ahead of what some around here think. He has a garbage o-line, a garbage run game, garbage coaching, and a garbage scheme, and he still puts up the incredible numbers he does. He also has a garbage defense that doesn't help in the W/L columns. Hopefully a lot of that garbage gets taken out this offseason and we get to see what this dude is truly capable of.

So they are the Houston Watson's in your eyes. For his next trick he's going to start throwing TD's to himself.

What were those options
Well, They drafted Titus and Max. One and two. Max played 2 years at left tackle. We need a stop gap until one of them could get coached up. Trent Williams was available for a 2 but Bob thought he was bad for the locker room. Sam Young and Chris Clark were free agents...Now, Tunsil is the best option but I think they overpaid. I could be wrong...

Well, They drafted Titus and Max. One and two. Max played 2 years at left tackle. We need a stop gap until one of them could get coached up. Trent Williams was available for a 2 but Bob thought he was bad for the locker room. Sam Young and Chris Clark were free agents...Now, Tunsil is the best option but I think they overpaid. I could be wrong...

Titus/Max aren't LT's and Trent Williams was going through cancer treatments. Young has only really played RT and not very well at that. After seeing Clark I cant imagine you would consider him an option. He was really bad. DW4 would've gotten killed.

Titus/Max aren't LT's and Trent Williams was going through cancer treatments. Young has only really played RT and not very well at that. After seeing Clark I cant imagine you would consider him an option. He was really bad. DW4 would've gotten killed.
I don't disagree with much of what you said. There were a couple more free agents. I would have to look back. We might never know about Titus or Max without better coaching. Hindsight is always 20/20

I don't disagree with much of what you said. There were a couple more free agents. I would have to look back. We might never know about Titus or Max without better coaching. Hindsight is always 20/20

With Titus and Max you could tell they weren't NFL LT material from their athletic testing at the combine.

I wish they would've just found a way back in 2017 to keep #76 happy. Yea yea all the other crap aside (McNair and his stupid comments) find a way to make it work, instead we shipped his ass out and it was downhill from there. Another dumb move that had a domino effect and here we are.

I hate to say it but I hope he gets it. I like DH, I mean I hate the Titans but I like Henry the player. No nonsense go out and run your ass over kind of guy. Old school.

RBs like that don't usually have long lives in the NFL. We should only have to deal with him for another couple of years (at most) at his peak capacity.

RBs like that don't usually have long lives in the NFL. We should only have to deal with him for another couple of years (at most) at his peak capacity.
Yea you would think so especially with the load TEN has put on him but this is his fifth year (RBs avg life is 2.5 yrs) and he’s still running away from guys. Yea sometimes these RBs come back the next year and all of a sudden it’s gone but I’m betting Henry will be closer to a AP kind of guy. Other words he continues to pound us for many years peak or not.

He's a solid backup swing tackle, but I don't want him starting 16 games.
What do you think of Tytus?

RJ is cheap. I'd definitely keep him around & have a real competition across four of the five starting OL positions.

I'd set Tytus, RJ, & Scharping fight for the RT position. I'll keep two, a starter & a swing guy. The third guy is gone, even if that's Tytus. They either make it at tackle or not. No "fall back" position.

It would probably be wise for him to take it easy before the playoffs, but who cares, it’s the Titans. :laughjump:

....it’s the Texans defense. They’re 15 games into a season where they’ve more than proven that hitting an opposing RB is all but guaranteed....not to happen!!!

Do you think Johnson is a better RT than Howard? What about Scharping and Howard at OG?

This is who I hope the OG's are next yr. Maybe Heck improves or Rod takes over at RT. If not they should be able to find a RT like big/mean Landon Young in the 5th rd. Howard didn't look like he had the feet to play RT. Although he wasn't terrible. I guarantee you if you put Howard/Young at some combination at RG/RT the run game will improve.

My OL next yr would look something like this.

Tunsil/Max/Fulton/Howard/RJ or Heck or Draft pick.

I dont like RJ or Heck that much at RT because that means neither the LT/RT strengths are run blocking so the run game wont be improved.

Unless you get a great OL coach. BTW, you know I dont care all that much for the WCO, but in this case I think the OL will be much better in the ZBS system. Of course it wouldn't take much from the new OL coach to put together a better unit than what Devlin has done. I do believe there's talent on the OL but it's not being used correctly.

In one post, you say this and then you immediately will turn around and expect Watson to overcome the poorly coached OL, depleted WR group, one of the worst defenses in the NFL and the unimaginative play calling. Go figure.

When he had WFV/Cooks/Cobb healthy he wasn't elite.

If the next HC can put together a better a better coaching staff that would be a great start.

What do you think of Tytus?

RJ is cheap. I'd definitely keep him around & have a real competition across four of the five starting OL positions.

I'd set Tytus, RJ, & Scharping fight for the RT position. I'll keep two, a starter & a swing guy. The third guy is gone, even if that's Tytus. They either make it at tackle or not. No "fall back" position.

I like Tytus. I think Tunsil & Tytus will be the bookends on this team for a while. I understand he regressed this season, but it's hard for me to judge anyone on this unit because of the system/coaching. Every offensive linemen under the BOB era appears to have regressed. Under the BOB era, name one offensive lineman that did better than expected or improved. I don't think I can?

At first I thought he was talking about the play Pirates of Penzance. I love Julia Roberts.

No No No …. that was Linda Ronstadt …. Julia Roberts simply preferred it to Pirates ! Damn …. I was napping and fooling around …. and missing the offensive line discussions ! I think our unidentified blocking scheme is holding us back. I think our OLine coach is not good. I think our starting linemen, even when healthy seem …. are slow to move and react - kind of lumbering, (even the multi-millionaire). Most of them have a lot of bad weight on them. But …. I think they could be better if they had a complete grasp of their assignments at any given second of the game. Don't hold any of this against me …. I never played a single down on the line …. either side !! Sorry, just trying to catch up !

Back